The James Morgan Pick

slats

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah because trading for Middle America’s sweetheart to be the qb of the future wasn’t distracting 

You're a NFL QB, and your excuse for sucking is youre distracted by a gadget/wildcat player on the roster?
Youre the leader of an NFL team and you cant get past another player on the roster who isn't pushing you for time, no one is calling for to play, who the coach has been clear about him not being the QB here.  Tanny etc should have known Marky would flake?

But that still caused Sanchez game to suck, he wasn't tough enough to deal with that.  QBs are pushed by backups everywhere and still perform, poor Sanchize couldn't.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're a NFL QB, and your excuse for sucking is youre distracted by a gadget/wildcat player on the roster?
Youre the leader of an NFL team and you cant get past another player on the roster who isn't pushing you for time, no one is calling for to play, who the coach has been clear about him not being the QB here.  Tanny etc should have known Marky would flake?

But that still caused Sanchez game to suck, he wasn't tough enough to deal with that.  QBs are pushed by backups everywhere and still perform, poor Sanchize couldn't.  

If the jets signed Colon Kaepernick to be their backup/wildcat qb you don’t think Sam would find that circus distracting in the least?

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don't think anyone is saying competition is a negative thing. Just that Morgan was not brought in due to that being a necessity. Morgan is certainly not competition though. He's just a backup, developmental QB that they liked. nothing more. Nothing less. Well... other than potentially grabbing the developmental backup the Pats or Bills may have wanted as well. Thats a possible little bonus fry at the bottom of the bag. 

Sam is going to be Sam this year whether or not an FIU Qb with poor mechanics is here or not. 

When it comes to top ten QBs, competition doesn't exist for them in the NFL. A team invests that high a pick and the guaranteed millions that go a long with it, they're spending the rest of their resources to help make that QB the best player he can be, not spending on "competition." 

You look at the last four years, every QB (not named Josh Rosen) is the undisputed starter on their team. Mitch Trubisky, now in his fourth year, has Nick Foles breathing down his neck. That's it for competition for the entire group. If you go back one more year, you find Mariota and and Winston, who were the undisputed starters on their teams for five years, and are now on their second teams. But they were given every chance to succeed because of the investment made in them. Like Trubisky still is. 

This year, Burrow will start day one and, while Tua and Herbert might be brought along a little more slowly, they'll all probably be starting at some point this year and be their respective team's undisputed starters in 2021. It's just the way the league works at the QB position. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

When it comes to top ten QBs, competition doesn't exist for them in the NFL. A team invests that high a pick and the guaranteed millions that go a long with it, they're spending the rest of their resources to help make that QB the best player he can be, not spending on "competition." 

You look at the last four years, every QB (not named Josh Rosen) is the undisputed starter on their team. Mitch Trubisky, now in his fourth year, has Nick Foles breathing down his neck. That's it for competition for the entire group. If you go back one more year, you find Mariota and and Winston, who were the undisputed starters on their teams for five years, and are now on their second teams. But they were given every chance to succeed because of the investment made in them. Like Trubisky still is. 

This year, Burrow will start day one and, while Tua and Herbert might be brought along a little more slowly, they'll all probably be starting at some point this year and be their respective team's undisputed starters in 2021. It's just the way the league works at the QB position. 

Right. I agree. I only commented because the conversation devolved into a grander vision of competition as a whole.  The QB position, once a high draft pick is brought in, m is outside of that.  I think it can also apply to other positions once a guy is found as well. Ie: Once Jamal Adams is signed, there won't be guys brought in to "push" him. Only to add depth. 

One thing I can also say with confidence is that Morgan is not competition for Darnold. 

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You keep asking is there a guarantee that WR would contribute. No, there isn’t. There isn’t a guarantee any draft pick will contribute. *see Jachai Polite* 

You want me to name names... not my job. That’s Douglas’ call.

Well, then it's not really an opinion worth taking seriously IMO.  

Sorry mate, but if you (or anyone) is going to complain about this pick vs. some theoretical other pick, they should at the very least have gone to the effort to know/theorize/guess WHO that "other pick" should in fact have been.

"Meh, me want WR, me not want QB, Darnold dreamy!" is fine, and you're more then entitled to hold that view.  

But Douglas, who you defer to as "his job", MADE his call.....he drafted a backup QB.  He clearly saw it as the need that it is.  He named names, it was the QB.

If you don't have a better name to hang your opinion on, there really isn't really anything to discuss or debate is there. 

You can do that with someone else.

Nice talking to you.

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How do we know for sure that we we were the only team to request video on him.  He was great at the East-West Shrine Game, scouts and teams missed that?  The Texans didnt, they met with him there.  Theres tons of tape available for anyone to see.  Find it real hard to believe that the Packers, Dolphins, Bears, Patriots, Raiders, Giants, Bills & Colts were interested and only one requested video

I seen him interviewed after he was picked and he knew Jets would take him because they were only team that requested video.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

I seen him interviewed after he was picked and he knew Jets would take him because they were only team that requested video.

All I heard is the Jets were his only official interview at the combine.  Not they were the only team to request tape or the even the only team to talk to him.

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Meh, me want WR, me not want QB, Darnold dreamy!" is fine, and you're more then entitled to hold that view.  

But Douglas, who you defer to as "his job", MADE his call.....he drafted a backup QB.  He clearly saw it as the need that it is.  He named names, it was the QB.

It'll be interesting to see how the position plays out this year. Best case scenario is that Morgan beats out Fales for the #2 job. I think that's gonna be a tough task without OTAs and a potentially shortened training camp/pre-season, though. Wouldn't surprise me if the Jets wind up cutting Fales, but bring in a guy like Flacco to hold the backup fort for a season, letting Morgan learn from the #3 spot. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

It'll be interesting to see how the position plays out this year.

I'll be honest, this can be said about literally the entire team in 2020. 

Outside of the #1 QB, #1 Strong Safety and #1 Middle Linebacker, almost everything else can and perhaps should be up for grabs.

It's going to be a hell of an interesting season.....presuming it gets played, of course.

It's just a baseless feeling, but I'm not feeling Gase (via Douglas) signing a big name veteran FA QB for 2020.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

All I heard is the Jets were his only official interview at the combine.  Not they were the only team to request tape or the even the only team to talk to him.

My point is that we could have obtained a player at the spot where we drafted him whom fills more of a void.  Don't object to the player, I think we took him to early.  I just wish the Jets would have drafted an additional receiver or 2 in the draft.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest, this can be said about literally the entire team in 2020. 

Outside of the #1 QB, #1 Strong Safety and #1 Middle Linebacker, almost everything else can and perhaps should be up for grabs.

It's going to be a hell of an interesting season.....presuming it gets played, of course.

It's just a baseless feeling, but I'm not feeling Gase (via Douglas) signing a big name veteran FA QB for 2020.  

The offensive line could easily have five new starters. Two new starters at WR. A lot of upheaval without a lot of practice time to put it together. I'm really not expecting the Jets to explode out of the gates this season. Probably more like the last two years where they finish a lot stronger than they started. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

The offensive line could easily have five new starters. Two new starters at WR. A lot of upheaval without a lot of practice time to put it together. I'm really not expecting the Jets to explode out of the gates this season. Probably more like the last two years where they finish a lot stronger than they started. 

Agreed in full.

2 hours ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

My point is that we could have obtained a player at the spot where we drafted him whom fills more of a void.  Don't object to the player, I think we took him to early.  I just wish the Jets would have drafted an additional receiver or 2 in the draft.

I understand the point, you would risk moving down to get him.  I dont think we took him too early. If that's who JD wanted, if he thought that he would have been taken by NE or some other team, nothing wrong with taking him.  Given how many teams are said to have been interested in him, JD may have been right.  If he works out he's worth more than any player we would have gotten at that spot.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

James Morgan was most certainly drafted to compete with Fales for the backup. With that said, Morgan could very much compete with Sammy down the road? He's more or less a work in progress. If he's ever going to push Sammy as the starter it would be around year 3 when he's had a good share of time on the bench. I like the pick. They needed a backup and I think they picked up a guy that has real potential. 

21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You may be thinking of Donavan Peoples-Jones.  But he was taken in the 6th.  I Was blown away by his slide and the Brownies got an absolute steal that late. He will end up being one of the best WR's in this class imo.  He's got it all outside of college production numbers. And there are many who think he was misused and underutilized by Harbaugh in school. 

My bad he was taken in the 4th round by the Redskins.  In fact they took Antonio Gibson a round earlier.  Their offense just got a major boost!   DPJ to the Browns in round 6th.    Oh boy, I hope Lawrence Cager  or George Campbell makes us forget about taking just one receiver in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You may be thinking of Donavan Peoples-Jones.  But he was taken in the 6th.  I Was blown away by his slide and the Brownies got an absolute steal that late. He will end up being one of the best WR's in this class imo.  He's got it all outside of college production numbers. And there are many who think he was misused and underutilized by Harbaugh in school. 

I heard an interview on Sirius with the Browns' coach. They went thru most of their picks and was asked about DPJ.  I would have expected a "We feel we got a steal there" or "We couldn't believe he was available" the way people around here talked about him. Stefanski's reply was along the lines of "We had to take somebody and with his measureables he's worth a look." It was not a ringing endorsement by any measure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I heard an interview on Sirius with the Browns' coach. They went thru most of their picks and was asked about DPJ.  I would have expected a "We feel we got a steal there" or "We couldn't believe he was available" the way people around here talked about him. Stefanski's reply was along the lines of "We had to take somebody and with his measureables he's worth a look." It was not a ringing endorsement by any measure.

he's just keeping it quiet. Secret weapon kind of stuff. 

• Haha 1

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

he's just keeping it quiet. Secret weapon kind of stuff. 

The Browns and the Cowboys offenses are both loaded this year. They both have new, offensive minded HC's. It's going to be interesting to see how well they, and other teams with new HC's are able to implement their systems.

It's been a challenge the last few years anyway, because of limited practice time due to the CBA, but now you add in the Covid restrictions this offseason and it will be even more difficult.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The Browns and the Cowboys offenses are both loaded this year. They both have new, offensive minded HC's. It's going to be interesting to see how well they, and other teams with new HC's are able to implement their systems.

It's been a challenge the last few years anyway, because of limited practice time due to the CBA, but now you add in the Covid restrictions this offseason and it will be even more difficult.

Weaving in the excuses for your boy early huh?  :) 

32 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Weaving in the excuses for your boy early huh?  :) 

Since you brought it up, I think he’s going to have a monster year.

Stefanski likes to run a lot of 2TE sets, and he has two really good ones. Add in OBJ, Landry, Chubb, some nice additions at RB and WR along with a revamped OL... my boy has no excuses. Just go out there feeling dangerous, lol.

The team might not be firing on all cylinders coming out of the gate, but they should have enough talent to win despite that. Then once they settle in, it should be a really exciting offense to watch.

I don’t know if the are a match for the Ravens, but we better hope the Jets face them early, before they start rolling.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Since you brought it up, I think he’s going to have a monster year.

Stefanski likes to run a lot of 2TE sets, and he has two really good ones. Add in OBJ, Landry, Chubb, some nice additions at RB and WR along with a revamped OL... my boy has no excuses. Just go out there feeling dangerous, lol.

The team might not be firing on all cylinders coming out of the gate, but they should have enough talent to win despite that. Then once they settle in, it should be a really exciting offense to watch.

I don’t know if the are a match for the Ravens, but we better hope the Jets face them early, before they start rolling.

I think the attention to the OL will be the defining difference in the whole deal. Baker "should" do much better but his poor showing last year was below what it could have been by a long shot. He had plenty of talent around him already.  It will be interesting to see. I'm rooting for a continuation of failure for the Baker and the Browns. 

He fails this year and considerations will begin. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, slats said:

It'll be interesting to see how the position plays out this year. Best case scenario is that Morgan beats out Fales for the #2 job. I think that's gonna be a tough task without OTAs and a potentially shortened training camp/pre-season, though. Wouldn't surprise me if the Jets wind up cutting Fales, but bring in a guy like Flacco to hold the backup fort for a season, letting Morgan learn from the #3 spot. 

yup... the 2020 season will be an aberration. Normalcy on handling rosters is flying right out of the window this year.  Jets should and probably will bring in a vet and let Fales go as long as they can vet the Vet's health at some time.  

I already said 2x I’m okay with the pick, but would’ve preferred a WR.
I also said why...We lack talent at WR.
You keep asking is there a guarantee that WR would contribute. No, there isn’t. There isn’t a guarantee any draft pick will contribute. *see Jachai Polite* 
You want me to name names... not my job. That’s Douglas’ call. I don’t pretend to know how to judge the talent of mid tier prospects like so many here claim to be able to do. What I can do is see areas on a team that need an infusion of talent. 
I do think though the odds favor a 4th round WR contributing more than a 3rd string QB though. You want to argue that, you aren’t debating. You’re just arguing for the sake of arguing. You can do that with someone else.
Its either Douglas' job to evaluate talent or its not. In his evaluation of our roster, our QB talent behind Darnold is severely lacking. I could easily argue that he's right. And don't look at it like a 3rd string QB - nobody's drafting for a QB3, ever. He's looking for his future QB2 at worst. And our QB2 situation is more dire than our WR situation. That much should be obvious.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:22 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Right. There is probably a reason why neither of us do this for a living lol 

So you actually had Morgan as a guy on your list before the draft? That would be the first time I've heard that.  I didn't see him on the radar of any of the guys I speak with or listen to.  That's interesting and I'd be stoked if I got my guy like that. I didn't see that one coming at all. Completely blindsided by the selection. 

I feel that way toward Perine and Hall. Lamar Jackson too. All guys I wanted and had in one of my "official" mocks.  Perine was one of my secret little dark horses I felt really good about.  The only thing with the other two is that I would have taken Hall in the 3rd and Lamar Jackson in the 4th-5th. Lastest would have been 6th. Getting Hall in the 5th and Jackson as an UDFA shows why I'm not a GM and Douglas is. Same players. MUCH much better value. 

So Morgan huh? What had you zeroing in on him? 

I had Morgan as a definite possibility on my list.  I was thinking that JD should use one of the 6ths on a QB and Morgan was #1 on my list with the Hawaii kid next.  Snooping around for info on him I read that Pats were sniffing around for him, so then I wanted him more.  https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/patriots-had-pre-draft-meeting-with-james-morgan

It's a tough decision, but clearly the Jets need to do something different to back up Darnold. These are the kind of picks that can reap rewards a lot later.  I am thoroughly impressed with how JD is building his team.  We may look back in a few years and be in awe.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1