Top Five Jet UDFA - Rich Sports

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jamaicanjetfan said:

Huff's style reminds me so much of James Harrison

You nailed it. Huff is actually taller and heavier. 
Harrison’s punch would knock lineman back and his bend and motor were why he will be in the HOF one day. Huff has a chop move that reminds me of Harrison. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:57 PM, JetBlue said:

I like his list.   I think all 5 have a legit chance to make the team, make an impact this year or at the very least make the P.S.   He is is really high on Lamar Jackson and Lawrence Cager  both of whom he thought would get drafted .  He reserves his greatest praise for Bryce Huff; He actually had a 3rd round grade on him.  Time will tell of course but I really like what JD is doing.  I think Cager and Huff not only make the team but make solid contributions this year.  

We should have a faster and younger Special Teams at the very least. The camp competition should be intense at some positions.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

We should have a faster and younger Special Teams at the very least. The camp competition should be intense at some positions.

How about the competition at the CB spots? Not 1 CB position is carved in stone. Lot of money up for grabs for these guys in the future, this is literally fighting for your job. We can expect 100% effort, unlike Trumaine Johnsons 25% effort. I still can't believe how bad he was for what he was paid! Draft picks have busted for years, every team has their Gholston, but man, when you miss on a free agent, the amount of cap expenditure & years it takes to rid the stench off is devastating.

The Guy literally signed his name, quit & collected a small fortune. He just didn't need a gun & a mask because is agent found a moron in Maccagnan. 

That free agent signing for the money & return has to be top 5 worst in NFL history up there with Albert Haynesworth. 

• Upvote 3

Love all of these guys. I think Cager, Campbell and Huff have a realistic shot of making the roster. Will be fun to see the WRs battle it out now that we know Enunwa and Bellamy are on PUP and the Jets don't have to rely on Berrios for returns with Davis on the team. I also think the Jets will carry 6 rather than 5 WRs now that the roster has been expanded. They need the depth. But thats just a guess. 

Not sure about Jackson, from what I've read up on him coming into the draft he is still pretty raw and doesn't have a true projected NFL position- is he fast and skilled enough to play outside CB in the NFL? Can he transition to Safety? If Jackson shows that he is making a smooth transition and some of the other back-end roster CBs or Safeties struggle, he may make the roster. Most likely, he end up on PS. 

Guidry I think will struggle against bigger NFL slot receivers no matter how fast he is. Poole has that position locked up and there will be plenty of competition for roster spots at CB, including Hall, who was drafted. I think Guidry end up on PS. 

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The thing is it only takes one draft where a GM absolutely hits the ball right out of the park that an NFL team suddenly becomes a contender. The Jets over the last 12 years or so have yielded good players that can be counted on one hand. That's why the Jets have been a horrible team for so long. I look at this draft and I'm cautiously optimistic that the Jets may have finally gotten the draft correct?

TBD

proof-pudding-650x440.jpg

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Love all of these guys. I think Cager, Campbell and Huff have a realistic shot of making the roster. Will be fun to see the WRs battle it out now that we know Enunwa and Bellamy are on PUP and the Jets don't have to rely on Berrios for returns with Davis on the team. I also think the Jets will carry 6 rather than 5 WRs now that the roster has been expanded. They need the depth. But thats just a guess. 

Not sure about Jackson, from what I've read up on him coming into the draft he is still pretty raw and doesn't have a true projected NFL position- is he fast and skilled enough to play outside CB in the NFL? Can he transition to Safety? If Jackson shows that he is making a smooth transition and some of the other back-end roster CBs or Safeties struggle, he may make the roster. Most likely, he end up on PS. 

Guidry I think will struggle against bigger NFL slot receivers no matter how fast he is. Poole has that position locked up and there will be plenty of competition for roster spots at CB, including Hall, who was drafted. I think Guidry end up on PS. 

I’m not saying Guidry makes the team but he’s not small at 193 lbs, just relatively short at 5’9”.   But he’s very fast and most slot WR are shorter and quicker so his height may not matter as much.  Another positive is that he isn’t afraid to make a tackle.  With Poole only signed for a year, I think he’s got a decent chance.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I’m not saying Guidry makes the team but he’s not small at 193 lbs, just relatively short at 5’9”.   But he’s very fast and most slot WR are shorter and quicker so his height may not matter as much.  Another positive is that he isn’t afraid to make a tackle.  With Poole only signed for a year, I think he’s got a decent chance.

Maybe, but I doubt it. 

These days slot WRs are getting bigger and bigger. And even for one of the smaller ones, 5'9, 193 is small. But ok, lets just say size isn't going to be a major thing that holds him back. Let's look at the roster:

Desir, Poole, Austin, Hall, Maulet: Guidry is NOT taking one of their spots. He's just not. If you think maybe Maulet gets cut. He won't. He played really well last year starting opposite Austin and earned a one year deal based solely on that.

So if the Jets carry 6 CB's we have the following guys that Guidry has to compete with to earn the FINAL spot on the roster. Hairston, K.Brown, Jackson, Q.Wilson, Carter.

Can he beat out one of those guys for the final spot? Maybe. Anything could happen. But all of those guys have one or another advantage over Guidry, whether its being able to move to safety or play on the outside or simply experience or simply not being eligible for practice squad. Not to completely rag on the guy cuz I do like the UDFA pickup, I think Guidry can be a great gunner contributor on specials with that top end speed. That's the kind of thing that will give HIM the edge. 

Personally, I think the last guy ends up being Q.Wilson or Hairston with K.Brown getting cut, Carter getting cut and Jackson and Guidry making PS.   

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Especially with a QB in place! Fix the Oline? ✔️ (Not only through free agency but adding Bechton & Clark in the draft), get a WRs ✔️, (Added Perriman & Doctson, as #3 & #4, drafted Mims, added Cager & Campbell as UDFAs), Backup RBs ✔️, (Perrine in the draft & Gore). Plus the return of Herndon + Griffin + Wesco in his 2nd year & Brown), 4 deep TEs. 

A lot of potential if guys stick. 

Fist time in a long time I don't feel I have to reach for how the new pieces are supposed to fit, or if glaring needs were addressed if even on paper for now.

• Upvote 1

I think Hilbers has a solid chance of making the roster as the 4th Tackle.

He seems like a the type of guy the Jets like. Versatile enough to play both sides, moves well, basketball background. The Jets liked him enough to give him a sizeable signing bonus as an UDFA.

Cager and Huff both have good chances too. Lots of raw talent in this UDFA group.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. 

These days slot WRs are getting bigger and bigger. And even for one of the smaller ones, 5'9, 193 is small. But ok, lets just say size isn't going to be a major thing that holds him back. Let's look at the roster:

Desir, Poole, Austin, Hall, Maulet: Guidry is NOT taking one of their spots. He's just not. If you think maybe Maulet gets cut. He won't. He played really well last year starting opposite Austin and earned a one year deal based solely on that.

So if the Jets carry 6 CB's we have the following guys that Guidry has to compete with to earn the FINAL spot on the roster. Hairston, K.Brown, Jackson, Q.Wilson, Carter.

Can he beat out one of those guys for the final spot? Maybe. Anything could happen. But all of those guys have one or another advantage over Guidry, whether its being able to move to safety or play on the outside or simply experience or simply not being eligible for practice squad. Not to completely rag on the guy cuz I do like the UDFA pickup, I think Guidry can be a great gunner contributor on specials with that top end speed. That's the kind of thing that will give HIM the edge. 

Personally, I think the last guy ends up being Q.Wilson or Hairston with K.Brown getting cut, Carter getting cut and Jackson and Guidry making PS.   

Im sorry but i think youre making Austin and Maullet into more than they are.  In limited action both showed some nice traits and good play.  But Austin got benched. Desir was available because he had a bad year.  These spots are more wide open than youre suggesting   If Guidry comes in and outplays some of them he ll make the team.   We dont have much invested in the incumbents and none are likely to be confused with Revis.  Lastly injuries could change the depth chart dramatically

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Im sorry but i think youre making Austin and Maullet into more than they are.  In limited action both showed some nice traits and good play.  But Austin got benched. Desir was available because he had a bad year.  These spots are more wide open than youre suggesting   If Guidry comes in and outplays some of them he ll make the team.   We dont have much invested in the incumbents and none are likely to be confused with Revis.  Lastly injuries could change the depth chart dramatically

Again, sure, if Guidry comes in and outplays one of those guys and proves he can play on the outside MAYBE. But the edge goes to the guys that have proved it in actual games, even if in limited duty. In Guidry, you are talking about an UDFA, someone the Jets didn't feel was worth using a draft pick on. 

But Austin started 7 games last year as the #1 and #2 CB and played really well until he got benched towards the end of the Pitt game for a missed assignment and missed the last game. Coming in as a rookie and playing the way he did I would imagine the Jets are really high on him and frankly would be stupid not to be. Unless he comes in and falls flat on his face he's not getting cut. 

Maulet was right there with him, playing in 12 games in various roles, stepping up as a starter down the stretch. Him and Poole were the two CBs they brought back, deservedly so. 

Desir was not signed by JD because he was 'available because he had a bad year'. That's absurd. There were plenty of CBs available and JD decided to sign Desir. Desir missed some games due to injury, playing in 12 but ended up with a career high in INTs and Pass Deflections. Not that either was excessively high but to say that (for him) it was a bad year is just not really accurate. I highly doubt Desir, the only veteran CB addition will be cut. Again, anything could happen. He could have a season ending injury and end up on PUP, he can come in and fall flat on his face. But I doubt it.    

I'm not confusing any of the players the Jets have with Revis and you can't assume injuries, for all we know Guidry will have a career ending injury slipping in the shower. I'm just looking at the roster in a realistic way and how these things typically go. 

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I think Hilbers has a solid chance of making the roster as the 4th Tackle.

He seems like a the type of guy the Jets like. Versatile enough to play both sides, moves well, basketball background. The Jets liked him enough to give him a sizeable signing bonus as an UDFA.

Cager and Huff both have good chances too. Lots of raw talent in this UDFA group.

They definitely paid a premium for him but after seeing his measurables I'm guessing they're thinking of moving him inside. His arms measured at 3104 which is ridiculously short for someone his size and especially for a tackle. He did test very well athletically.

4 hours ago, RobR said:

They definitely paid a premium for him but after seeing his measurables I'm guessing they're thinking of moving him inside. His arms measured at 3104 which is ridiculously short for someone his size and especially for a tackle. He did test very well athletically.

True, that is freakishly short for a guy his size. It almost seems anatomically impossible. Could be they see him as a Guard rather than a Tackle.

Just noticed that Cam Clark has decent arm length, so he might not be a cert to move to Guard. We seem to have more Guard candidates that Tackles right now.

15 hours ago, PepPep said:

Again, sure, if Guidry comes in and outplays one of those guys and proves he can play on the outside MAYBE. But the edge goes to the guys that have proved it in actual games, even if in limited duty. In Guidry, you are talking about an UDFA, someone the Jets didn't feel was worth using a draft pick on. 

But Austin started 7 games last year as the #1 and #2 CB and played really well until he got benched towards the end of the Pitt game for a missed assignment and missed the last game. Coming in as a rookie and playing the way he did I would imagine the Jets are really high on him and frankly would be stupid not to be. Unless he comes in and falls flat on his face he's not getting cut. 

Maulet was right there with him, playing in 12 games in various roles, stepping up as a starter down the stretch. Him and Poole were the two CBs they brought back, deservedly so. 

Desir was not signed by JD because he was 'available because he had a bad year'. That's absurd. There were plenty of CBs available and JD decided to sign Desir. Desir missed some games due to injury, playing in 12 but ended up with a career high in INTs and Pass Deflections. Not that either was excessively high but to say that (for him) it was a bad year is just not really accurate. I highly doubt Desir, the only veteran CB addition will be cut. Again, anything could happen. He could have a season ending injury and end up on PUP, he can come in and fall flat on his face. But I doubt it.    

I'm not confusing any of the players the Jets have with Revis and you can't assume injuries, for all we know Guidry will have a career ending injury slipping in the shower. I'm just looking at the roster in a realistic way and how these things typically go. 

Hey Im no expert on Desir, just going by what Ive read, but he was available after the Colts CUT him!  That supposedly reflected his fall off in play last year, and combined with age and salary  made him expendable.  I dont think the remaining Colts DBs played in the AFC Pro Bowl last year so spin that as you want.  Im hoping all these guys end up as studs and we can trade a few for draft picks but if youre being realistic, then you cant discount any of this.  They brought in a bunch of guys, and a lot of guys wanted to compete here for a spot because the entire roster of DBs is wide open.

6 hours ago, mrcoops said:

True, that is freakishly short for a guy his size. It almost seems anatomically impossible. Could be they see him as a Guard rather than a Tackle.

Just noticed that Cam Clark has decent arm length, so he might not be a cert to move to Guard. We seem to have more Guard candidates that Tackles right now.

Cam Clark is probably going to get a chance to play right tackle at some point.  He has that brawler mentality.  If it doesnt work then he shifts inside, or is maybe a swing player.

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

Davis returned kicks not punts.  Whole different animal.  Way easier to let a punt returner return kicks than vice versa.  He was a gunner on punt cover which will probably take Bellamy's roster spot.   I guess Davis did return 2 for 33 yards, but the fact it was as a 5th year senior indicates it was probably as an injury replacement.  People want to give that Berrios roster spot to potential, but I think they aren't going to get their wish.  IMO it is more likely that Crowder returns punts than Davis.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but punt returns are a dangerous game to project.

40 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Cam Clark is probably going to get a chance to play right tackle at some point.  He has that brawler mentality.  If it doesnt work then he shifts inside, or is maybe a swing player.

Yeah, I've really liked what I have seen of Cam Clark. He's got a nasty demeanour and always finishes his blocks. He moves well and looks to have good pass-blocking skills in addition to superior run-blocking ability.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

They brought in a bunch of guys, and a lot of guys wanted to compete here for a spot because the entire roster of DBs is wide open.

All I'm saying is that Desir, Hall (because he was a 5th rd. draft pick), Maulet, Poole, and Austin have a distinct advantage over Guidry. IMO, so much so that barring injury or one or more of these guys falling flat on their face, they are locks to make the roster. Guidry will have to go above and beyond to make the roster while the other 5 on that list just have to hold their own. In reality, Austin and Poole are most likely locks (Jets brass have seen enough from them that they won't cut them). Hall is a 5th round rookie so unless he looks really, really bad or is late to meeting a la Polite he is safe. Desir is the only vet added to the group by JD and unless he plays really poorly amidst a bunch of UDFAs, he should be safe. Maulet played well when he stepped in a starting role last year and was brought back by JD. His spot is his to lose. 

There may not be any Pro Bowler CBs on the team but the position is not as WIDE OPEN as it seems. If the Jets plan to carry 6 CBs, the UDFAs are going to have to fight for the last available spot or go above and beyond to carve out a spot for themselves. Not saying it can't happen, but it's definitely not as wide open as you are making it seem.   

• Sympathy 1