League Expects Full Season In 2020

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, pdxgreen said:

If you think Gavin Newsome will bend on public policy because of sports you are dead wrong.  He signed the California state bill that allows athletes the rights to earn endorsement money  precisely to **** over the NCAA.  And he won't change his thinking because of political pressure to sports interests.  He just doesn't think that way. His buddies aren't Roger Goodell and Vince McMahon.

FYI,

https://sports.yahoo.com/california-gov-gavin-newsom-says-pro-sports-may-open-up-in-his-state-by-early-june-194238939.html

Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, California Gov. Gavin Newsom has expressed doubt about when sports would return.

On Monday, he had a statement that provides some hope for sports fans. Newsom said professional sports could return in California by the first week of June, but without fans.

Considering how many teams call California home, that’s significant. It also is big news for the three NFL teams in California that are still hopeful to start their season on time.

24 minutes ago, vtbx said:

Yeah.  The data and timelines he got from the health authorities were projectable . Once other pro leagues around the world like the Bundeslegia started instituting controlled competition, it makes sense to give a projected date.  He's being cautious.. 

(Also the state schools getting together and saying "yeah, we can have an athletic department open in fall" was also huge to sports participation.  Oregon schools are basically following in with some of the same round table discussions.)

Well the golf was successful in a limited fashion without fans so they showed it could be done. Football a little more complicated but without fans, remote AV productions and only a couple broadcasters NFL is totally doable. It remains to be seen if NFL owner greed gets in the way

By the way, golf without fans likely means no bleachers as well and no pedestrian traffic. Courses will play more difficult for the pros as the barriers for errant shots are gone. Lost balls will be more common. Look for PGA scoring to be at least a quarter to half a stroke worse without fans possibly much more.

• Upvote 1

If they have the season without fans, then it really is just about the $$$.

So many people would still be out of work (concessions, security, tickets, etc).  It continues to amaze me how worried everyone is about .2% of the population while seemingly not caring at all about the MILLIONS being affected . . .

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

So many people would still be out of work (concessions, security, tickets, etc).  It continues to amaze me how worried everyone is about .2% of the population while seemingly not caring at all about the MILLIONS being affected . . .

Huh?

If anything, it'd be the other way around. Ultimately, they're losing money by not having fans. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Huh?

If anything, it'd be the other way around. Ultimately, they're losing money by not having fans. 

I was comparing a season with no fans to no season at all.

That's A LOT of TV revenue to pass up and I'd have to think they'd be willing to make any concession to keep it, but what do I know . . .

7 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

Everything, literally everything, is about the money.

11 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Everything, literally everything, is about the money.

True, my post was poorly worded.

What I meant was the only "benefit" of playing games without fans is the owners make more money, whereas if there are fans thousands of people who DO need the money will have a job to go to each weekend . . .

15 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

True, my post was poorly worded.

What I meant was the only "benefit" of playing games without fans is the owners make more money, whereas if there are fans thousands of people who DO need the money will have a job to go to each weekend . . .

So for you its better to have no season than a season without fans?  I don't get your argument at all.

The governors have less authority than they think. A state with a budget shortfall like California needs sports. People need sports. And the governors need the people. I’d they lose the people it’s not good. These economic drivers are bigger than individual governors and their power trips.

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

So for you its better to have no season than a season without fans?  I don't get your argument at all.

The "argument" is I'd rather see people in the stands because it means 1,000s will have jobs.  Of course I'll take football any way I can get it, I'm just amazed at how many people focus on the .2% who can die from this virus but ignore the MILLIONS of healthy people having their lives ruined . . .

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

The "argument" is I'd rather see people in the stands because it means 1,000s will have jobs.  Of course I'll take football any way I can get it, I'm just amazed at how many people focus on the .2% who can die from this virus but ignore the MILLIONS of healthy people having their lives ruined . . .

There's going to be fans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

Millions were going to be impacted either way.  No one is ignoring the hardships of the unemployed, the depressed, those in abusive homes, and the myriad of other problems going on because of the mitigation efforts. 

No one had a clue how best to handle this, no matter how much expertise they had.  We got some things wrong, and we got some things right.  Things are re-opening and the economy will figure out a way to bounce back, even if it takes months or years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

There's going to be fans.

A good friend is the Director for all of the TIAA bank stadium concessions; manages the venders, food and beverage, etc.  He's over the Covid response for the Jags .  He wont tell me everything but he's on all the NFL communication.  And what he will tell me is, they are having a season 100% and there will be fans 100%.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Millions were going to be impacted either way.  No one is ignoring the hardships of the unemployed, the depressed, those in abusive homes, and the myriad of other problems going on because of the mitigation efforts. 

No one had a clue how best to handle this, no matter how much expertise they had.  We got some things wrong, and we got some things right.  Things are re-opening and the economy will figure out a way to bounce back, even if it takes months or years.

Agree to disagree.  

53 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Agree to disagree.  

You disagree with what?  That millions weren't going to be impacted?  Even if we'd have soldiered on with herd mentality, people would have gotten sick and workplaces would have had to get shut down as a result.  

There's no disagreement to be had on that point.  It just....is.  

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You disagree with what?  That millions weren't going to be impacted?  Even if we'd have soldiered on with herd mentality, people would have gotten sick and workplaces would have had to get shut down as a result.  

There's no disagreement to be had on that point.  It just....is.  

I disagree that the millions being affected are being given the same consideration as the thousands getting sick.  Those "mistakes that were made" were conscious decisions, not unfortunate side-effects. 

IMO the priority should be opening the country, while managing the sickness best we can, not the other way around.

But I understand this isn't the place to debate it, which is why I'm tip-toeing around my posts . . .

9 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

I disagree that the millions being affected are being given the same consideration as the thousands getting sick.  Those "mistakes that were made" were conscious decisions, not unfortunate side-effects. 

IMO the priority should be opening the country, while managing the sickness best we can, not the other way around.

But I understand this isn't the place to debate it, which is why I'm tip-toeing around my posts . . .

My point is that thousands getting sick would have still impacted millions had we tried to "soldier on".  Just a couple people getting sick in one office/workplace could easily impact the entire office/workplace; whether by shutting it down OR keeping it open but risking the virus running rampant.  

And the country IS opening back up.  Just at a slower place than many would like.

I do think we should have opened back quicker in rural/spread out areas in the country, which might not have needed to shut down in the first place.  But again, that falls under the category of what I was talking about earlier:  Some mistakes were made, some correct things were done.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Here’s some good news for football fans. Sources close to the situation tell Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that there is an “extremely small” chance that there will be no NFL season in 2020.

USATSI_8839727-200x300.jpg

The league expects to release the 2020 schedule on May 9 as planned, and it will look like the usual 17-week, 16-game itinerary. It will be structured to allow for contingencies, but even if those contingencies are necessary, the NFL thinks it can play a full slate of 256 games and that the season can unfold just as it otherwise would in home stadiums that are open to fans from the jump.

While that position will surely attract plenty of skepticism, it’s expected that testing for COVID-19 will be simple and efficient by the time August rolls around. In addition, testing is expected to be widely available to the general public by then, which will allow the league to justify testing all of its players and other personnel on a daily basis.

Some reports have indicated that the league could impose some sort of social distancing requirement for fans within stadiums, but Florio says that will not happen. After all, while those requirements could perhaps be enforced in the seating area, it would be impossible to enforce them in bathroom and concession queues and when entering/exiting. So if stadiums are open, they will be fully open, and it will be incumbent upon the fans themselves to stay away if they are susceptible to the virus. The league will likely protect itself by imposing some sort of “assumption of the risk” acknowledgment for fans who purchase tickets.

None of this means that training camp will open on time or that the season will get underway in September. But a delayed start to the season, which we discussed last week, would still allow for a full schedule to be played. And as long as the information the scientific community has gathered on the behavior of the virus is not proven “dramatically incorrect,” NFL fans can remain hopeful. Indeed, Florio says that real progress in testing is being made outside of the public eye, which is obviously great news for fans and non-fans alike.

Florio also says the NFL remains serious about moving some games to Saturdays in the event the college football season is cancelled, though the first iteration of the NFL schedule is not expected to include Saturday contests.

This has got to piss off that Dbag Florio. He's been totally negative on anything the NFL does during this virus crap. 1st it was free agency with his " There's no way the NFL can have FA. It would be the worse mistake that the NFL has or will ever make". How'd that work out Mike ? Same with the draft " They can't possibly even think of holding the draft during the Corona pandemic". Another swing and miss by Florio. I'm so glad the NFL went ahead with both. We needed and still need some forms of normalcy.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My point is that thousands getting sick would have still impacted millions had we tried to "soldier on".  Just a couple people getting sick in one office/workplace could easily impact the entire office/workplace; whether by shutting it down OR keeping it open but risking the virus running rampant.  

And the country IS opening back up.  Just at a slower place than many would like.

I do think we should have opened back quicker in rural/spread out areas in the country, which might not have needed to shut down in the first place.  But again, that falls under the category of what I was talking about earlier:  Some mistakes were made, some correct things were done.

I find it hard to believe any business would have chosen to close for 2+ months simply because of their specific employees health situation, but no reason to go down that road.

My original point was I hope they play games with fans, not just so people can choose for themselves if they want to go, but also so 1000's of people will have a source of income back (if they choose to utilize it).

If you agree with that, great.  If not, then have a great day anyway.

Go Jets

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

This has got to piss off that Dbag Florio. He's been totally negative on anything the NFL does during this virus crap. 1st it was free agency with his " There's no way the NFL can have FA. It would be the worse mistake that the NFL has or will ever make". How'd that work out Mike ? Same with the draft " They can't possibly even think of holding the draft during the Corona pandemic". Another swing and miss by Florio. I'm so glad the NFL went ahead with both. We needed and still need some forms of normalcy.

Why would coronavirus prevent teams from signing free agents?

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why would coronavirus prevent teams from signing free agents?

Ask the DBag Florio. No one could figure out his "logic" because there was none. I "think" he figured the virus might spread with everyone traveling around to different cities. But for him to say "It would be the worse mistake the NFL ever made" was insane.

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, OCCH23 said:

I find it hard to believe any business would have chosen to close for 2+ months simply because of their specific employees health situation, but no reason to go down that road.

My original point was I hope they play games with fans, not just so people can choose for themselves if they want to go, but also so 1000's of people will have a source of income back (if they choose to utilize it).

If you agree with that, great.  If not, then have a great day anyway.

Go Jets

I want them to play every game too.

That being said I hope everyone stays as safe as possible, because this is not “just another Flu”.  Don’t let your guard down and become complacent.

I also want ALL businesses to reopen in as safe a manner as possible since with many of these governors the cure is actually becoming worse than the disease.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-deaths-vs-flu-deaths.html?fbclid=IwAR3Kba-JeNTX1Gxw3o19ZOGIISRJvpLRWmpzzIxU1q5yyqfyfqvUpAFGsEQ

41 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I want them to play every game too.

That being said I hope everyone stays as safe as possible, because this is not “just another Flu”.  Don’t let your guard down and become complacent.

I also want ALL businesses to reopen in as safe a manner as possible since with many of these governors the cure is actually becoming worse than the disease.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-deaths-vs-flu-deaths.html?fbclid=IwAR3Kba-JeNTX1Gxw3o19ZOGIISRJvpLRWmpzzIxU1q5yyqfyfqvUpAFGsEQ

This actually illustrates my point.

Everyone is so focused on "don't become complacent with your health", but that's something we can control -- let everyone take personal responsibility for their health.  But the economic devastation so many are facing?  They had NO say in that whatsoever, but most/many seem to have an "it will all work out just don't get sick" attitude.

There is REAL suffering going on out there, and it has nothing to do with catching the virus . . .

• Thumb Down 1

On 5/20/2020 at 4:36 PM, Thai Jet said:

Ask the DBag Florio. No one could figure out his "logic" because there was none. I "think" he figured the virus might spread with everyone traveling around to different cities. But for him to say "It would be the worse mistake the NFL ever made" was insane.

FE5162A2-B116-44D5-B9B0-6A273BBD96B9.jpeg.03a5b74757399d22152f3e13a5c07722.jpeg

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

This actually illustrates my point.

Everyone is so focused on "don't become complacent with your health", but that's something we can control -- let everyone take personal responsibility for their health.  But the economic devastation so many are facing?  They had NO say in that whatsoever, but most/many seem to have an "it will all work out just don't get sick" attitude.

There is REAL suffering going on out there, and it has nothing to do with catching the virus . . .

92,000 people dying is suffering 

16 hours ago, Philc1 said:

92,000 people dying is suffering 

So is 40,000,000 losing their jobs, businessess, homes, etc.

So is the rise in child abuse.

So is the decline in social services for people who need it most.

If you think an 88 year old dying is worse than a 48 year old not being able to provide for his family, we'll agree to disagree (especially when the 88 year old can wear a mask, but the 48 year old had everything taken away from him in the blink of an eye) . . .   

• Thumb Down 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, OCCH23 said:

So is 40,000,000 losing their jobs, businessess, homes, etc.

So is the rise in child abuse.

So is the decline in social services for people who need it most.

If you think an 88 year old dying is worse than a 48 year old not being able to provide for his family, we'll agree to disagree (especially when the 88 year old can wear a mask, but the 48 year old had everything taken away from him in the blink of an eye) . . .   

So how many more people need to die for the economy to look good?  300,000?

On 6/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reports that the NFL is “optimistic” about holding training camps in full but is still preparing alternatives in case they’re needed.

According to Fowler, team officials he’s spoken to are “cautiously optimistic” and wouldn’t be surprised to see some dates moved around or even shorten the preseason. 

They really need to shorten the preseason to 2 games