Darnold Will Take a Huge Leap Forward this Season

I know I know I know, flashness of great farts, but dude, how do watch his highlights and not get excited about what he could become?  Dont care what anyone says, he does stuff that just straight up other QB's cant do when it comes to his feet/arm/pocket/feel/location  If he could find the middle ground with consistency to add with the jaw dropping stuff, my gawd man, he's got Rodgers like stuff in there.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know I'm in the minority but I think he took a huge step forward last season.  He improved year over year in every meaningful passing category and wwent 7-6 on a really bad Football team.  But more importantly and probably what was more impressive, is how he bounced back after what looked to be a sure fire broken bust of a QB after the 3 game stretch of NE-JAX-MIA.  When he didnt make an effort for the bad snap in the endzone vs. the fins, I thought the Jets broke him.  He was clearly shell shocked and I didnt think he'd recover but he did by putting his 3 best games of the year down following the MIA debacle and the Jets won their last 6 of 8 games which included a lot of game sealing/winning drives by Darnold.  To do this with the team as injury riddled and the OL being as bad as they were with zero running game, IMO, is taking a huge step forward.  Now it's more about refining the game and seeing the production as results.  He's proven he could win in the face of extreme adversity, now it's time to step up and be legit franchise QB.  Extinguish all doubt and take over as the leader of the NY Jets for the next 15 years.

I agree! I think consistency is going to be huge for him, we’ve seen him play really well in periods of time (last 4 weeks of 2018, and 2nd half of last year) He needs to play a full 16 and learn how to be consistent week to week. I think going into the 2nd year of a system and not learning a whole new playbook (again) is going to play a major role. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know I know I know, flashness of great farts, but dude, how do watch his highlights and not get excited about what he could become?  Dont care what anyone says, he does stuff that just straight up other QB's cant do when it comes to his feet/arm/pocket/feel/location  If he could find the middle ground with consistency to add with the jaw dropping stuff, my gawd man, he's got Rodgers like stuff in there.

Nothing here isn't true but he plays for the Jets...so.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I see Brett Favre.

Minus some arm strength, little more accurate at times. Movement in the pocket, ability throwing off balance and on the run, amazing body control, able to pick up big chunks of yards on his feet. I think when Darnold gets some confidence and has a dependable line with consistent skill players,...I see Favre. Not that he will be Favre, but I certainly see the similarities and potential.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

You're right about the OLine, but to me the under the radar factor in Darnold's
development this year is the running game.  We were putrid last year, averaging
78 yards a game and 3.3 per carry:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

We have to get those numbers up to at least 120 yards a game and 4.0 per carry.
Why???  Because it makes us "two handed" offensively and opens up play action passing.
With no sports on one of the channels was replaying the USC/TEX game from Darnold's
last year.  And Darnold thrived when he was in the shotgun running RPO's.  With
his ball handling, ability to throw from odd angles and accuracy he thrived on
throws when he pulled the ball from the RB.  Play action opens up some of the 
easiest throws a QB could want.  That's the reason Tannehill had success last year,
before he got exposed in the playoffs.  He had the ability to fake to Henry and make
simple throws to their WR.  Gase has to make that happen with his run schemes this
year

I guess we will se what, if any, changes Gase makes to his scheme to try to maximize Sam’s strengths.   I have a bad feeling about Gase and his ability to be flexible and go all in on catering his offense to his players capabilities.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  His ability to deliver the ball on the run and off platform is tremendous.  He can do it with touch, zip and at different arm angles, it’s a natural ability to throw like that.  He reminded me of Jameis Winston when he came out of FSU, Jameis has a lot of the same traits as far as how they get rid of the ball.  Sam seems to be more disciplined than Jameis, but I love how both of them aren’t afraid to try to fit a ball in tight windows.  There is no reason you can’t win a lot of games with Sam.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

please stay healthy

I’ve said it a few times here, but I totally agree. He’s missed 6 total games in 2 seasons, the jets are 0-6 in those games. The criticism of Darnold missing games and being injured( even though the mono was flukey) is one that I can’t defend. He needs to prove that he can be healthy for a full 16. 

On 5/11/2020 at 1:45 AM, jetsons said:

I disagree with that remark regarding Robby... I think he was very underrated & will be a very good receiver for the Panthers... The Entire issue is/was the OLine... if that is corrected (hopefully it will be thanks to JD) there will a Dramatic difference in Sam's play this season... but Robby was clutch while here.

I said someone you can DEPEND ON to make that big catch. I didn't say he never made a big catch.   Sams go to guy was Crowder not Anderson; that should tell you something.   When he needed a catch more often then not, Crowder or even Griffin, was his target.   Again, doesn't mean Anderson wasn't valuable and I would have liked to have resigned him.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I said someone you can DEPEND ON to make that big catch. I didn't say he never made a big catch.   Sams go to guy was Crowder not Anderson; that should tell you something.   When he needed a catch more often then not, Crowder or even Griffin, was his target.   Again, doesn't mean Anderson wasn't valuable and I would have liked to have resigned him.  

Interesting...   I always felt my sentiments about RA were very similar to this, and yet we seemed to argue...

Originals Love GIF by Nyle DiMarco

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Your quote... "As nice as Anderson was, he was not someone you could depend on to make that big catch." ... Exactly my point.... I believe he was... Robby was Very Clutch... then you go on stating how he wasn't Sam's go to guy... Robby's route tree, like many outside receiver route trees, takes longer to develop than the route tree of a slot receiver or a TE... When a QB is under duress, as Sam was Most of the time, & has to get rid of the ball more quickly than he would prefer, he is going to go to the receiver with the shorter route tree because that receiver will have the better chance of being open... "THAT" IS why Crowder and to a lesser extent Griffin were Sam's go to receivers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

Your quote... "As nice as Anderson was, he was not someone you could depend on to make that big catch." ... Exactly my point.... I believe he was... Robby was Very Clutch... then you go on stating how he wasn't Sam's go to guy... Robby's route tree, like many outside receiver route trees, takes longer to develop than the route tree of a slot receiver or a TE... When a QB is under duress, as Sam was Most of the time, & has to get rid of the ball more quickly than he would prefer, he is going to go to the receiver with the shorter route tree because that receiver will have the better chance of being open... "THAT" IS why Crowder and to a lesser extent Griffin were Sam's go to receivers.

Okay I am not going to belabor the point.  This not a post about Anderson who is no longer here.  It is about Darnold.   I stand my statement that he wasn't someone you could depend on to make that big catch.  You disagree, fine.  Lets move on. 

On 5/11/2020 at 12:19 PM, JiF said:

I know I'm in the minority but I think he took a huge step forward last season.  He improved year over year in every meaningful passing category and wwent 7-6 on a really bad Football team.  But more importantly and probably what was more impressive, is how he bounced back after what looked to be a sure fire broken bust of a QB after the 3 game stretch of NE-JAX-MIA.  When he didnt make an effort for the bad snap in the endzone vs. the fins, I thought the Jets broke him.  He was clearly shell shocked and I didnt think he'd recover but he did by putting his 3 best games of the year down following the MIA debacle and the Jets won their last 6 of 8 games which included a lot of game sealing/winning drives by Darnold.  To do this with the team as injury riddled and the OL being as bad as they were with zero running game, IMO, is taking a huge step forward.  Now it's more about refining the game and seeing the production as results.  He's proven he could win in the face of extreme adversity, now it's time to step up and be legit franchise QB.  Extinguish all doubt and take over as the leader of the NY Jets for the next 15 years.

I don't disagree, but now two season into Gase's system, with a better Oline and more weapons, we should see Sam emerge as a true franchise quarterback. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I don't disagree, but now two season into Gase's system, with a better Oline and more weapons, we should see Sam emerge as a true franchise quarterback. 

For sure, he needs to emerge no doubt.  That said I'm not sure they upgraded the weapons dept.  That will interesting to see play out.  Lots of faith in career underachievers and rookies right now.  Would have loved to see another veteran WR brought in, someone Darnold can trust to be where he's supposed to be but we'll see.  Perriman/Docston/Smith - all have tremendous upside but are far from sure bets.  Darnold had great chemistry with Robby who's a better overall WR than Perriman and with the a potentially limited offseason, that's going to be interesting to see develop.  I think the return of Griffin and Herndon will help but at WR? they're gambling a little bit.  I'd really look at bringing back DT or entertain a trade for a veteran WR if that's a possiblity. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

For sure, he needs to emerge no doubt.  That said I'm not sure they upgraded the weapons dept.  That will interesting to see play out.  Lots of faith in career underachievers and rookies right now.  Would have loved to see another veteran WR brought in, someone Darnold can trust to be where he's supposed to be but we'll see.  Perriman/Docston/Smith - all have tremendous upside but are far from sure bets.  Darnold had great chemistry with Robby who's a better overall WR than Perriman and with the a potentially limited offseason, that's going to be interesting to see develop.  I think the return of Griffin and Herndon will help but at WR? they're gambling a little bit.  I'd really look at bringing back DT or entertain a trade for a veteran WR if that's a possiblity. 

Demaryius Thomas remains unsigned....

EDIT:  I see you mentioned we should bring him back later in the post.

• Upvote 3

On 5/11/2020 at 7:12 AM, freestater said:

I.cant shake the feeling that Sam is going to catch the coronavirus and be out for a good portion of the season. 

That;s not even funny....feeling that someone will come down with coronavirus, how about you shaking the feeling that he gets shot and dies..just as funny. What is the matter with people on here?

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, GaryM said:

That;s not even funny....feeling that someone will come down with coronavirus, how about you shaking the feeling that he gets shot and dies..just as funny. What is the matter with people on here?

Something tells me you wouldn't know funny if it bit you on the ass.