OT: JN Group PM

13 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

Well let’s be real the minnesota pd will definitely be reformed...but lapd and nypd? Good ******* luck

Those departments are also massive. I think most rationale folks would agree the police are necessary for a functioning society so when you hear people actually pushing to eliminate them you wonder where the heck you should fall. These issues are  complex and when specific examples are cited they are mostly shot down. This specific cop based on his history and no business being in the field and the question we should be asking is why that was allowed in the first place. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, JiF said:

I rather a PM because you can quote people and share media.  Like that video Ballin posted was awesome and I plan on sharing that with everyone I know quite honsetly.  I've never seen it before and it was a beautiful representation of a challenging concept to accept. 

To me all the questions were gonna be harder to answer yes to, if the one before it was no. The first question was if your parents were still married. How does institutional racism effect the answer to that question? Asking seriously. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Those departments are also massive. I think most rationale folks would agree the police are necessary for a functioning society so when you hear people actually pushing to eliminate them you wonder where the heck you should fall. These issues are  complex and when specific examples are cited they are mostly shot down. This specific cop based on his history and no business being in the field and the question we should be asking is why that was allowed in the first place. 

This is a great post! The sad reality is the media outlets on both sides are taking extreme positions on either side of this issue , and both extremes seem completely irrational and quite frankly very dangerous. That said, people believe CNN or Fox to be telling them the whole truth and they Live and die with the opinions gained by their preferred media outlet. Our country has become more divided than it has ever been in my lifetime, and seems to be getting worse. What has historically made our country strong was middle ground, and we seem to be losing that middle ground with extremes on both sides. It’s very sad and very scary.

• Upvote 1

I'd also join.

I hate to admit, there are conversations that I'm almost scared to interject myself into, especially the race conversation.  I try with every fiber in my being too treat all people with respect and caring.  I also know that I grew up in a town of 3500 people in Iowa.  All white.  All communities around me were all white.  I live in the 2nd biggest city in the state now, but still only 150k and probably only 10-15% are people of color.  I would love to listen to others who have a more diverse background than me so I can learn and hopefully confidently engage in an educated way on such discussions.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'd also join.

I hate to admit, there are conversations that I'm almost scared to interject myself into, especially the race conversation.  I try with every fiber in my being too treat all people with respect and caring.  I also know that I grew up in a town of 3500 people in Iowa.  All white.  All communities around me were all white.  I live in the 2nd biggest city in the state now, but still only 150k and probably only 10-15% are people of color.  I would love to listen to others who have a more diverse background than me so I can learn and hopefully confidently engage in an educated way on such discussions.

I grew up in Queens in a mostly white neighborhood.  Went to schools where kids from Jamaica Queens (nearly 100% of color) were bused or otherwise transported to the Jr High and HS in that neighborhood (1970's).  There were indeed racial issues and there was little connection between the majority caucasian students and the students who were bused in.  Why were there only a handful of black kids that me and my 'liberal minded' friends hung out with outside of school? I'd love to believe it was mostly geography, but there was no effort by anyone to cross borders outside of school.   You see, it doesn't matter if you are from IA or NYC.  It is always worthwhile to hear what others say which is why I am all in on joining.  I'll probably stay silent most of the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, slats said:

Listen, I get it. When I first got here, I didn't love the no politics rule because I really do have so much wisdom to share, but I've come to really love it. I'm happy enough to not like people just because they're pro-Eric Mangini, I don't need to know what political fringe everyone is crawling out from. 

So I assume that would make you anti Tom Shane??B)

185 posts and counting in the QuickTopic from about 20 different people, and the discussion has been fruitful and peaceful (with 1 skirmish that has come and gone, and not stopped the dialogue). Pretty impressive considering this started a little before 4 on a Friday.

And I see good discussion is still happening in this thread too.

Keep those requests coming.

Emotions are high, but peaceful and productive conversation is still possible.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’re missing out on some truly amazing and important discussion, my man. Let me know if you change your mind.

I've spent the last week in the EOC reorienting our Focus from Covid and Hurricanes to Civil Disturbances, protests, looting. and planning for WCS's. Discuss away. I'm tired of it. 

Hey guys we have a new club option. I have asked some people to test it out. I will be posting it tomorrow.

It looks like the PM option was not used (didn't work because of the limitation). So rather than let this be an advertisement for other Jets sites that want to recruit people I am going to lock this thread.

The club option will allow for opt in access for topics that were previously not allowed. A bit of a compromise. Some people want the board to have nothing but football, this still allows that. And for those that want to discuss they can.

Thanks everyone, be on the lookout for the club link. I said tomorrow but I mean today (Sunday).