No Reason for Jets to Cave to Adams Desires

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How this ends is that a lot of good teams do the math and realize that their safeties are good enough to win with and that paying upwards of $17 mil per for a tacklin’ strong safety is a poor use of resources, which will leave Douglas with few options and, ultimately, and underwhelming return on any potential trade. It feels like this ends up with Adams going to the Raiders for a package of 2’s and 4’s with maybe a receiver thrown in.

The Raiders aren’t trading for Jamal Adams.   They have their safeties already with Fs D Randall and  Ss J Abrams ( last year number 1 pick who was hurt in week one) as the starters.   With Jeff Heath, and Eric Harris as the backups.   Not to mention Lamarcus Joyner who might lose the nickel cb job, and would play safety .( making too much to cut, and will play somewhere ).

• Upvote 2

Joe D is playing this right. Let Jamal whine and moan all he wants. He has no leverage.

No one is going to pay the price to trade for him. No team is going to give him big money this year when the salary cap may decrease next season. Unfortunately, Jamal is screwed.

Jamal will come crawling back a few games into the season when he realizes he needs that 4th year credit for FA and a pay check.

And when he does come back, rip that "C" off of his chest. He doesn't deserve it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How this ends is that a lot of good teams do the math and realize that their safeties are good enough to win with and that paying upwards of $17 mil per for a tacklin’ strong safety is a poor use of resources, which will leave Douglas with few options and, ultimately, and underwhelming return on any potential trade. It feels like this ends up with Adams going to the Raiders for a package of 2’s and 4’s with maybe a receiver thrown in.

Possibly spot on. But, all we need is one pigeon. 

• Upvote 1

There is no reason to cave, dude has a contract he is playing under currently. 

I'm not in favor of getting rid of JA, but I'm not in favor of redoing his contract this year either. Maybe next year once we (JD) see what the landscape looks like, because he is a good player. 

Dunno.... His talking isn't doing anything to bolster his position by any means.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:28 AM, predator_05 said:

T0m, where did we go wrong with this guy?

He's acting like a bat-sh*t crazy ex-girlfriend (like the woman in that Michael douglas movie, fatal attraction) but i don't get what we did to deserve all this.

We didn't.  Yet there are still Jets fans out there who were enabling the guy and loved him.  Hell, there still are.

He was always pretty a d*ckbag though.  Many are only just finding that out now.

• Upvote 2

On 6/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, rangerous said:

adams is under contract so the jets hold the cards.  they can let him rot if they want.  and i can't see him enhancing his trade value, or even future contracts with other teams, if he chooses to hold out.  bell was able to get away with it because he was one of the top skill position players.  strong safety is an important position but not quite the same as a lock down corner or edge rusher.

Relative to what?  Kickers and Punters?

It's the least important position among the traditional 22 starting positions, other than maybe RB, but only when you factor out the elite guys.  No one could possibly make a strong argument that a top SS is more valuable to a team than Christian McCaffrey.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's the least important position among the traditional 22 starting positions, other than maybe RB, but only when you factor out the elite guys.  No one could possibly make a strong argument that a top SS is more valuable to a team than Christian McCaffrey.

least important?  i don't think so.  at least not the way adams and guys like polamalu and bob sanders were used.  regardless, he is still one of the top players at his position and deserves to be paid as such.

He deserves to be paid among the top safeties. The problem is no NFL front office knows what the salary cap will be next year. Therefore no one knows what the market rate for safeties or any other position will be next year. I suspect the contracts will be a lot lower due to the decreased cap. It would be irresponsible for Douglas to extend Adams right now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

RB is more valuable than SS

1 minute ago, jetlaw said:

He deserves to be paid among the top safeties. The problem is no NFL front office knows what the salary cap will be next year. Therefore no one knows what the market rate for safeties or any other position will be next year. I suspect the contracts will be a lot lower due to the decreased cap. It would be irresponsible for Douglas to extend Adams right now.

This is the real issue here.  And that’s why the jets absolutely cannot extend Adams now

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

least important?  i don't think so.  at least not the way adams and guys like polamalu and bob sanders were used.  regardless, he is still one of the top players at his position and deserves to be paid as such.

No need to take it from me.  Just follow the money.  SS is the least paid position as a group of any of the 22 positions, unless you factor out "outlier" RBs, in which case RB is the only position that makes less.   The NFL has deemed SS to be an unimportant position, not me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Do you hear that Jamal?

You don't?

Are you sure?

OK in that case I am pretty sure that what you do not hear is the sound of Joe Douglas not calling you back on your insane contract/trade me antics.

The silence is deafening, and I love it.

GFY, Jamal.

• Upvote 1

The Adams situation shows why "GM speak" is the right way to go sometimes. If JD just says ever time something like "Jamal is under contract. He is a great player but we don't discuss contract negotiations with players" then Jamal has nothing to respond to

See this is the problem-people like you seem to find it easy to use names like Polamalu/Sanders/Reed etc as some sort of comparison. Jamal has been absolutely among the greats at one thing, and that’s running the hype train. The fact is Jamal isn’t remotely close to any of those guys. They had QB’s and OC’s up all night worrying about where they are in the field. Jamal has never garnered that attention nor driven that much fear in opponents, and for good reason. He isn’t nearly that great. He’s a good SS, in the range of Laron Landry minus the steroids.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We didn't.  Yet there are still Jets fans out there who were enabling the guy and loved him.  Hell, there still are.

He was always pretty a d*ckbag though.  Many are only just finding that out now.

April 2017:

Jets draft Jamal Adams

Adams, later that night: "****, bruh? The damn New York Jets? That team a total clown show, no QB, never on Prime Time, live in ****in' New Jersey? Aw, Hell nah, man!"

Agent: "Just be patient, play out your contract, and don't worry, we'll leverage you outta there. This MacCagnan guy is a joke. I can roll him hard  no problem."

2019: Jets Fire Mac, Hire Douglas

Agent: "Crap. Time for plan B."

• Haha 2

Jamal "deserves" NOTHING. Absolutely zero. He is under contract with parameters set by a CBA approved by the NFLPA. Just because some think he has ouplayed his contract does not in any way mean that he is entitled to new compensation. Plus he was the #6 player selected. You SHOULD expect Pro Bowl play from that position, and to be honest 6 is so ludicrously  high for a strong safety that the only way it is justified is if the player performs at the level Jamal is. People need to stop saying he derserves a new contract. an exceedingly small number of players get new contracts in their third years not close enough to set any precedent. Players don't give guaranteed money back when they suck and underperform.  Jamal has a contract and he was the #6 player taken. He is WELL compensated at this point in his career. Contract structure is the way it is for a reason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

See this is the problem-people like you seem to find it easy to use names like Polamalu/Sanders/Reed etc as some sort of comparison. Jamal has been absolutely among the greats at one thing, and that’s running the hype train. The fact is Jamal isn’t remotely close to any of those guys. They had QB’s and OC’s up all night worrying about where they are in the field. Jamal has never garnered that attention nor driven that much fear in opponents, and for good reason. He isn’t nearly that great. He’s a good SS, in the range of Laron Landry minus the steroids.

i guess that's why he's listed as one of the top ss's in the game right now.  he made the pro bowl, twice.  and let's be clear, polamalu/sanders/reed etc. had better supporting casts and coaches when they played.

once again a fan is dissing the guy because of his position without giving him credit for being one of the best at his position.  there are a lot of things that bother me about adams but him wanting more money isn't one of them.  and i'm not even upset at all of his self flagellation.  when he plays, he plays well and help the jets win.  i will get upset if he holds out or otherwise disrupt the team.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i guess that's why he's listed as one of the top ss's in the game right now.  he made the pro bowl, twice.  and let's be clear, polamalu/sanders/reed etc. had better supporting casts and coaches when they played.

once again a fan is dissing the guy because of his position without giving him credit for being one of the best at his position.  there are a lot of things that bother me about adams but him wanting more money isn't one of them.  and i'm not even upset at all of his self flagellation.  when he plays, he plays well and help the jets win.  i will get upset if he holds out or otherwise disrupt the team.

Being one of the best at your position at a given time doesn't make one a HOFer or on a HOF track automatically.

The SS position has been downgraded from an importance standpoint.  Thus there aren't that many really good SS's anymore.  The best and highest paid Safeties are all FS's or FS/CB hybrid types.  That means being the best SS doesn't mean a whole lot.  If Jamal was the best FS, this would be a much different conversation.

Adams himself was more like a Linebacker than a SS last season.  He blitzed on 90 snaps, 10th most of any player in the NFL.  Does that really sound like a Safety to you?

If Jamal Adams was the game's best Fullback, Nose Tackle, or Punter would you be bragging about his accolades so much?  Of course not.  Well much in the same way, SS just isn't that important. 

The bottom line is if you're not causing turnovers at a high rate, your value isn't that high in this league as a DB.  Eddie Jackson, taken in the 4th round of the same draft as Jamal, has made 19 "turnover causing plays" (INTs, FFs, FRs) in his career.  Jamal has made 12.  Eddie Jackson > Jamal Adams.

• Upvote 1

I don’t care who their supporting cast was, when you watched them you knew where they were on the field at all times. They dominated an opponent in all facets, I don’t care how good the QB or WR’s were, those guys won the battle. Jamal doesn’t come close to that kind of dominance. You were dead wrong back in the day pounding your fist to pay Fitzpatrick 12m and you’re dead wrong on paying Jamal his ridiculous demanded.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:59 AM, southparkcpa said:

I hope he holds out....  lets let him sit, not pay him and that's that. 

Could you imagine if he holds out & Davis becomes an instant Superstar with an upgraded defense around him with Mosely, Williamson, Zuniga & Huff adding some edge pressure? 

He'll become an NFL footnote. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I don’t care who their supporting cast was, when you watched them you knew where they were on the field at all times. They dominated an opponent in all facets, I don’t care how good the QB or WR’s were, those guys won the battle. Jamal doesn’t come close to that kind of dominance. You were dead wrong back in the day pounding your fist to pay Fitzpatrick 12m and you’re dead wrong on paying Jamal his ridiculous demanded.

i don't think i ever pounded my fist to pay fitz.  i was certainly for re-signing him at the time and 12 million was not an unreasonable price to pay for a qb.  where the jets went wrong was not getting fitz into the training camps and letting geno get the reps.  that divided the team.

as for adams,  i am not pounding my fist for him to get his ridiculous demand.  but i do think the jets need to try and make a good faith deal.  adams is a good player and teams don't get good by  letting players go or replacing them with sub standard players.  i have stated on many occasions that the jets would need the same draft compensation as the no. 6 pick.  vet players?  some of the names make a lot of sense.  it is not in his best interest to hold out or sit out or anything.  his best play is to get to training camp and play well.

and, how players play is highly dependent upon how the other players do.  the comment about adams not being as dominant as polumalu or sanders etc is ddependent on their supporting casts.

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Adams isn't negotiating in good faith, so why should Douglas?

i'm not in the room with either of them so i don't know and i'm sure most fans don't either.  we see some snippets from morons like maneesh and i'd hate to base anything on what that clown says or writes.  but douglas shouldn't get catty or respond in kind to adams if he's being a clown.  he has the rest of the team to think about so douglas needs to stay above board.

we'll see what happens.  training camp is still a month out.  a lot can happen and all of these governors could easily reverse their rules concerning corona.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:59 AM, T0mShane said:

Even Raiderholic will tell you to jump into the Connecticut river over such a deal as they have no need or desire to acquire Adams.   Have no fear T0mShane. JetNation will rescue you. 

39 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Even Raiderholic will tell you to jump into the Connecticut river over such a deal as they have no need or desire to acquire Adams.   Have no fear T0mShane. JetNation will rescue you. 

First off Vegas Raiders aren’t  even on Jamal Adams wish list.   Second To be fair I’ve seen some Raider beat writers say the Raiders should go after him.   You would think they would know the personnel of the team they are reporting on.      
 Mayock isn’t going after a big name player just for publicity. ( everything  sold out they don’t need generate interest). They have five safeties already ,( that’s counting Lamarcus Joyner who could easily lose his nickel cb job to D Arnette, Amik Robertson, or K Nixon.   Joyner would than play his natural safety position.( again due to salary will play somewhere).

17 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

First off Vegas Raiders aren’t  even on Jamal Adams wish list.   Second To be fair I’ve seen some Raider beat writers say the Raiders should go after him.   You would think they would know the personnel of the team they are reporting on.      
 Mayock isn’t going after a big name player just for publicity. ( everything  sold out they don’t need generate interest). They have five safeties already ,( that’s counting Lamarcus Joyner who could easily lose his nickel cb job to D Arnette, Amik Robertson, or K Nixon.   Joyner would than play his natural safety position.( again due to salary will play somewhere).

Adams is so overhyped I doubt Jets even get fair value for where he was picked at #6 which is 1600 points. And not to trade him and have him play out his contract will just cause more headaches this rebuilding team doesn’t need. But I’m not giving him away either. But definitely trade his azz sooner than later. Hold on to him and it’s just going to be drawn out and we’ll end up with a lousy comp pick.  I’m all for trading him straight up for a top WR, edge, cb, OL and take on a contract worthy of the position. I’m not paying 15 M for a safety whose skills don’t even translate into TO’s - are you freakin kidding me. Who does Adams think he is? Eddie Jackson? 

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Adams is so overhyped I doubt Jets even get fair value for where he was picked at #6 which is 1600 points. 

I really wonder where Adams would have been taken had Maccagnan not done so.  Would he have still gone top 10?  

The "best player in the draft" "fell" to Macc at 6, yet no one in the league is likely willing to offer up top 10 pick value to land Jamal Adams.  Funny how that works...

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2020 at 7:48 AM, tdoublee said:

Joe D is playing this right. Let Jamal whine and moan all he wants. He has no leverage.

No one is going to pay the price to trade for him. No team is going to give him big money this year when the salary cap may decrease next season. Unfortunately, Jamal is screwed.

Jamal will come crawling back a few games into the season when he realizes he needs that 4th year credit for FA and a pay check.

And when he does come back, rip that "C" off of his chest. He doesn't deserve it.

Jamal: JD why can't I play? Y'all need me out there dawg!

JD: Oh, you're not a Jet anymore. 

Jamal: For real, is it Dallas??

JD: I'll let you know where you're headed after the '21 season ends. But you're not a Jet at the moment. Congrats Prez.