Mahomes agrees to 10 year extension

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Too much even for mahommes, worse yet is he is going to  be pulling along a bunch of suspect mediocre QBs into team killing contracts.

Sam, Mayfield and Allen just need to stay alive a year or to and they get 40 per...

Lamar might outdo Mahomes deal....

2 hours ago, DLJ said:

Over 400 million. Madness

sbmhis.jpg

Especially in today's NFL.  We know how this goes.  The AFC or NFC Champs lose their fight the next year, then they lock up their bigtime QB, then they lose five key free agents they can't afford, and the next thing you know they're the Denver Broncos. 

Just look at the last 10 years.  Saints, Colts, Packers, Steelers, Giants, Seahawks, Broncos, Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams didn't make it back and, in many cases, fell straight into an epic rebuild.

Only the Patriots were consistently in the game, and we know why.  Even the teams with the elite quarterbacks locked up on big deals-  Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rogers, Manning, Roethlisberger, Wilson-  didn't go back the last decade.  The Niners went back with a different quarterback, and the Ravens are close with a different quarterback.  The Eagles and Ravens won it with nobodies.

Hey, you lock up Mahomes, I get that.  But not for 10 years and not at those prices. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

A new bar is set and whenever that happens you don’t need to match what that trend setting player did to reach that number

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Just like Jamal Adams, he totally outperformed his rookie contract parameters. Just like the Jets, the Chiefs would be idiots not to just cut to the chase, stop playing stupid, petty, childish games, and give the man is money. 

2019 Stats

Patrick Mahomes   - 1 Super Bowl

Jamal Adams          - 1 Interception

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

No but the comparison would be whether we give him that contract next year. He is till a year behind Mahomes. Lets say he goes out and clearly is Top 5 in NFL next year. Would you consider a 10 year contract?

It's different for the Jets who will cut of their arms to get to a Super Bowl.  We pay Darnold whatever he wants and we sign him long-term.  We are trying to get to the Super Bowl.

But for the Chiefs?  They just won it all and history dictates they're not going to win it again.  Their fans should be content for the next 5 years with a few playoff runs, hell as a Rangers fan I'm still buzzing off of 1994.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

sbmhis.jpg

Especially in today's NFL.  We know how this goes.  The AFC or NFC Champs lose their fight the next year, then they lock up their bigtime QB, then they lose five key free agents they can't afford, and the next thing you know they're the Denver Broncos. 

Just look at the last 10 years.  Saints, Colts, Packers, Steelers, Giants, Seahawks, Broncos, Panthers, Falcons, Eagles, Rams didn't make it back and, in many cases, fell straight into an epic rebuild.

Only the Patriots were consistently in the game, and we know why.  Even the teams with the elite quarterbacks locked up on big deals-  Manning, Brees, Ryan, Rogers, Manning, Roethlisberger, Wilson-  didn't go back the last decade.  The Niners went back with a different quarterback, and the Ravens are close with a different quarterback.  The Eagles and Ravens won it with nobodies.

Hey, you lock up Mahomes, I get that.  But not for 10 years and not at those prices. 

SAR I

Then you lose him, simple as that.

If Sexton is smart, he looks for 5-6 years at 220- 240 minimum next year for Sam.

Then when he’s 29, Sam gets to do another deal for way more.

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How is that "too much"?  He has a Super Bowl, a 50+ TD season and an MVP under his belt.  He deserves every penny.

If he was in the mlb his contract would be for twice as much fully guaranteed 

23 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Then you lose him, simple as that.

If Sexton is smart, he looks for 5-6 years at 220- 240 minimum next year for Sam.

Then when he’s 29, Sam gets to do another deal for way more.

The Eagles didn't sign their Super Bowl quarterback.  Built him a statue, let him go to a team willing to pay absurd money.  They're in a better financial position today as a result.  Joe Flacco was the NFL's highest paid player shortly after he won the Super Bowl and got his big extension.  Since he won the Super Bowl, the Ravens went back to the playoffs exactly 1 time in the 4 years he was there.

The Chiefs had Mahomes for another 3 years, correct?  1 under contract and 2 more with tagging, right?  That would have been the smarter move.  Because by the time the Chiefs have the roster to win another Super Bowl, Mahomes will be the problem with that contract.

If you think that Mahomes is the next Brady, Montana, or Aikman, different story, pay him whatever he wants.  But if he's not going to win multiple Super Bowls, it's not the right move.  

SAR I

Just now, EM31 said:

If Sam gets us a ring he can ask for whatever he wants.

LOL

Sam isn’t going to wait until he gets a ring. He can get 35-40 per with another mediocre season next year

If he finishes in the top 15 in QBR he’ll want more.

• Upvote 1

Mahomes is worth the contract because him alone will have KC as a contender every year ala Peyton did with the Colts. That’s why he’s pretty much invaluable. As long as Mahomes is the QB for the Chiefs they’ll win 10-12 games every year 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

this is going to sound crazy but I truly believe the low cost of the franchise tag for safeties factored into the decision to draft 33 over a QB that year 

and when people talk about how wrong I am about DRob and Gholston they should use the site to look up what I said about Pat Mahomes 

You were just on my coattails.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Eagles didn't sign their Super Bowl quarterback.  Built him a statue, let him go to a team willing to pay absurd money.  They're in a better financial position today as a result.  Joe Flacco was the NFL's highest paid player shortly after he won the Super Bowl and got his big extension.  Since he won the Super Bowl, the Ravens went back to the playoffs exactly 1 time in the 4 years he was there.

The Chiefs had Mahomes for another 3 years, correct?  1 under contract and 2 more with tagging, right?  That would have been the smarter move.  Because by the time the Chiefs have the roster to win another Super Bowl, Mahomes will be the problem with that contract.

SAR I

Mahomes At 24 is different than Foles or Flacco ,no?

Could you imagine the Chiefs letting Mahomes walk? They did the smart thing, extending his rookie deal now. 

In 4 years they’ll look smart. You’re a Yankee fan, you’ve seen this movie before.

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This deal hurts us. Sam will get close.  It doesn't matter where you rank it's when you become a free agent. At one point Cousins got the richest deal and most guaranteed. And he wasn't even in the top 15. 

In this is why Dak never signed a long term contract, not greed just smartly waiting for the REAL ? to sign, and then cash in.

3 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Him, Sam and Allen are sitting pretty. 40 per minimum.

Lamar will outdo Mahomes deal when it’s his turn.

No he’ll get hurt first

And Baker’s next contract will be for the league minimum

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Mahomes At 24 is different than Foles or Flacco ,no?

Could you imagine the Chiefs letting Mahomes walk? They did the smart thing, extending his rookie deal now. 

In 4 years they’ll look smart. You’re a Yankee fan, you’ve seen this movie before.

The Chiefs Roster is Mahomes.  Probably the second most valuable player they have is Kelce 

The cowboys roster is what makes Dak good statistically.  All League OL, Elliot, Cooper, etc on offense

12 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If Sam gets us a ring he can ask for whatever he wants.

I'm onboard with this.  It's been so long since the Jets have seen a Super Bowl.  If Sam delivers I think I'd be fine without seeing another Super Bowl for 10 years....and I'd kick in $5K to his new contract. lol

But, as SAR points out and as we all know, there's a bit of a curse that comes with giving your young hotshot QB that big deal.  Aaron Rodgers hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in forever and he is a big weight on that salary cap.  The Packers surprised everyone except 31 other GMs by drafting a QB with their first pick.

If you want longterm success (and you're not the cheating Patriots) all you have to do is find a GM that can identify and draft a franchise QB once every 5 years and put him on a rookie deal. :D 

• Upvote 1

The Jets have overpaid average/bad QBs forever.  We let Fitzpatrick rob us of what, $12M?  They Jets paid big $$$ for Neil O'Donnell just because he threw two INTs in the Super Bowl 3 months prior.  IF Darnold is the right guy we need to pay him....but hopefully Sam is smart enough to know that what he negotiates has a direct bearing on whether he'll have enough around him to win in the following years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

The Chiefs Roster is Mahomes.  Probably the second most valuable player they have is Kelce 

The cowboys roster is what makes Dak good statistically.  All League OL, Elliot, Cooper, etc on offense

I’m not arguing that Dak is a great QB, i don’t think he is. He’s a good one though.

I’m saying he’s going to get paid a lot more now, by not signing before today.

He was smart to wait.

12 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

All jokes aside, you know I’m right.

It’s a new ballgame for these kids now.

What this does is give those kids more incentive to become great, it’s not a guarantee they will get paid like this.