Mahomes agrees to 10 year extension

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But, as SAR points out and as we all know, there's a bit of a curse that comes with giving your young hotshot QB that big deal.  Aaron Rodgers hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl in forever and he is a big weight on that salary cap.  The Packers surprised everyone except 31 other GMs by drafting a QB with their first pick.

I can counter that.  

In the last decade the following QB's have all been to Super Bowls after getting paid (not including Tom Brady, because of cheating and salary cap circumvention):  

• Drew Brees (SB 44)
  • Peyton Manning (SB 44, 48, 50)
  • Ben Roethlisberger (SB 45)
  • Eli Manning (SB 46)
  • Cam Newton (SB 50)
  • Matt Ryan (SB 51)
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

What this does is give those kids more incentive to become great, it’s not a guarantee they will get paid like this.

Be honest.

Do you really think Sam (or the others)will have to be great to ask for 40 per in a year or two?

I don’t.

3 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

Dude is just on a more talented team. I am not saying that Darnold would put up the same numbers, but you can't say that he wouldn't. Sam had two seasons that were wrought with bad OL, injuries, mono, and coaching that was less than acceptable. Now the pandemic has to be dealt with. Mahomes is amazing, but lets give Sam a chance with better talent around him. Oh and also Jamal wouldn't accept 15 million, he might after he gets no other offers, but I would still do nothing till at least next year.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Be honest.

Do you really think Sam (or the others)will have to be great to ask for 40 per in a year or two?

I don’t.

I do.  How long was it before someone in MLB got Arod money?  Like 15 years I think.

35 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Mahomes At 24 is different than Foles or Flacco ,no?

Could you imagine the Chiefs letting Mahomes walk? They did the smart thing, extending his rookie deal now. 

In 4 years they’ll look smart. You’re a Yankee fan, you’ve seen this movie before.

Just saying that the Chiefs won the Super Bowl (content fans for years to come) and could have kept Mahomes for 3 more seasons on his rookie deal (plus tag average) which is precisely how much time this current Reid squad has to try to win another.   

Years 4-10 with a roster decimated by age and Mahome’s contract is the problem.   Yankees fan, yes, but a luxury tax.  And we can afford it. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That sh*t is pocket change to the Chiefs owner, he will make that much profit next season.

Not about the owners pocket. It’s about the cap ramifications and the expectations of other Chiefs that are going to go full-Jamal and want to get paid a lot and paid early. 

SAR I

11 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Be honest.

I don’t.

Since the franchise tag for a QB is going to be somewhere around $36-38M going forward, $38-40M per will seem reasonable for any QB who demonstrates he's a top 12/15 guy.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I do.

Fair enough.

It will be interesting to watch play out, that’s for sure. I’m guessing Prescott and Watson will be the next two dominoes to fall.. let’s see what they get.

Then, if I’m repping Sam, Allen and Mayfield, I let Lamar set the baseline all over again, then I come knocking.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GaryM said:

Dude is just on a more talented team. I am not saying that Darnold would put up the same numbers, but you can't say that he wouldn't. 

I can.  I like Darnold.  But even under the best of circumstances he was never going to put up a 50 TD season.  

You can't watch the 2 QB's play, isolating their skillsets, and say Darnold is on that level.  He's just not.  I think Darnold will end up an above average QB, and maybe come close to elite territory.  But his ceiling isn't limitless like Mahomes' is.  Mahomes could be the GOAT.  That's a big difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not about the owners pocket. It’s about the cap ramifications and the expectations of other Chiefs that are going to go full-Jamal and want to get paid a lot and paid early. 

SAR I

Pat Mahomes is not Jamal. He’s the most marketable player in the NFL. 

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Just saying that the Chiefs won the Super Bowl (content fans for years to come) and could have kept Mahomes for 3 more seasons on his rookie deal (plus tag average) which is precisely how much time this current Reid squad has to try to win another.   

Years 4-10 with a roster decimated by age and Mahome’s contract is the problem.   Yankees fan, yes, but a luxury tax.  And we can afford it. 

SAR I

Here’s the problem.

All this “tagging a guy for two years” stuff is the kind of nonsense guys on a message board like us throw  out there all the time about a Jamal Adams. 

In the real world, the Jets are going to sign Adams to a new lucrative deal, because that’s what smart GMs do. They’re not like the fans who fantasize about dumping great players for draft picks.

Why would any team alienate their MVP QB by tagging him twice? If they did, why would that QB ever eventually sign a new long term deal if they did?

When you’re  lucky enough to find a great player, you don’t alienate him. You re sign, and build around him.

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

Obviously he wouldn't get $500 million but this contract will be used as a template for other QB's. 10 year $350 million is not out of the question if he puts up 4000 yds, 30 tds and 10 int. 

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Just like Jamal Adams, he totally outperformed his rookie contract parameters. Just like the Jets, the Chiefs would be idiots not to just cut to the chase, stop playing stupid, petty, childish games, and give the man is money. 

Except one is a league MVP, Super Bowl Champ and a QB. Other then that their situations are totally the same.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Here’s the problem.

All this “tagging a guy for two years” stuff is the kind of nonsense guys on a message board like throw to out there all the time about a Jamal Adams. 

In the real world, the Jets are going to sign Adams to a new lucrative deal, because that’s what smart GMs do. They’re not like the fans who fantasize about dumping great players for draft picks.

Why would any team alienate their MVP QB by tagging him twice? If they did, why would that QB ever eventually sign a new long term deal if they did?

When you’re  lucky enough to find a great player, you don’t alienate him. You re sign, and build around him.

It's all about the demeanor of the player, isn't it?

If Mahones is like Brady, and he seems to be that type of team-first unicorn, then he would accept a series of smaller deals over shorter durations.  This would open cap space to continue winning.

If Mahomes is like Jamal, good for KC that he isn't, then he would hold out and act like a jerk and me me me eat up all the money so there's nothing left for the OL or WR positions.

There should have been a way to get Mahomes to buy-in to Reid and what the Hunt's are trying to do and be more cap friendly.  Unless he's got a public persona that's vastly different than his actual persona, I think the Chiefs gave a massive contract for a massive timeframe and took a massive risk needlessly.  They could have paid him handsomely for 4 years and re-set at an even higher level in Year 5 if it were warranted.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How is that "too much"?  He has a Super Bowl, a 50+ TD season and an MVP under his belt.  He deserves every penny.

It is too much because if a team spends too much money  on their QB then the rest of the team falls apart.

We had this discussion, teams that have paid their guys massive money fall off.

Tyreek Hill, kelce, their guy on defense, a team is full of pieces.

Also as I stated too much because now pretenders like Dak prescott are going to command huge dollars.

Even our own guy (and i am Darnolds biggest fan) who has not proven he can win will be looking for massive deals.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is too much because if a team spends too much money  on their QB then the rest of the team falls apart.

We had this discussion, teams that have paid their guys massive money fall off.

Tyreek Hill, kelce, their guy on defense, a team is full of pieces.

Also as I stated too much because now pretenders like Dak prescott are going to command huge dollars.

Even our own guy (and i am Darnolds biggest fan) who has not proven he can win will be looking for massive deals.

Doubtful we'll see them fall apart.  Mahomes is just other-worldly good.  And by giving him such a long-term deal with a lot of conditional guarantees, they'll have flexibility for the next several seasons.  They'll be a perennial 12-win team with Mahomes under center. 

I wouldn't worry about losing Travis Kelce, either.  The top TE's only make a little over $10M per.  Kelce can only ask for about $11-12M per in his next deal, depending on what Kittle gets.  Hill already got his money too, so he'll at least be there the next several seasons.  Only the defense might suffer in the short-term.

Not to mention, as I posted earlier:

In the last decade the following QB's have all been to Super Bowls after getting paid (not including Tom Brady, because of cheating and salary cap circumvention):  

• Drew Brees (SB 44)
  • Eli Manning (SB 46)
  • Cam Newton (SB 50)
  • Matt Ryan (SB 51)

Sure, it sucks to be other teams with unpaid QB's right now.  But there's not much that can be done about that.  Mahomes was going to get monster money regardless, and we all knew that.  The Chiefs can't be blamed for handing it to him and re-setting the market.  Market re-sets at QB have been going on for over a decade.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

In 4 years Mahomes deal will seem pretty reasonable. He will still probably be the highest paid QB but there will be a few very close to him. There are a ton of young starting QBs in the league right now with major potential who will be up for new contracts within the next 4 years: 

Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Joe Burrow

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

In 4 years Mahomes deal will seem pretty reasonable. He will still probably be the highest paid QB but there will be a few very close to him. There are a ton of young starting QBs in the league right now with major potential who will be up for new contracts within the next 4 years: 

Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Darnold, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Joe Burrow

The Chiefs were smart to lock him up for that long.  Why give him the opportunity for a 3rd contract, when the market would need to be reset again?  They know he's going to be their QB for as long as he's physically able to play, so why mess around with, say, a 5-year extension?  

This kind of deal will work out well for both sides.

I think the NFL is going to lose a lot of viewership. Just a guess but the game is pretty ugly lately, the refs have been ruining it, guys like Adams a SS whining 2 years left on his contract, the 2 national anthems, especially if like Jason Whitlock pointed out if they play the black anthem & then guys take knees for the National Anthem? Ouch, I’m already seeing a huge backlash coming for the NFL. 

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

Actual money received wont even be in the top 20 for professional athletes. MLB players get far more guaranteed money from their contracts. 

Well given their entire contract is guaranteed, yeah, they get more guaranteed money

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's all about the demeanor of the player, isn't it?

If Mahones is like Brady, and he seems to be that type of team-first unicorn, then he would accept a series of smaller deals over shorter durations.  This would open cap space to continue winning.

If Mahomes is like Jamal, good for KC that he isn't, then he would hold out and act like a jerk and me me me eat up all the money so there's nothing left for the OL or WR positions.

There should have been a way to get Mahomes to buy-in to Reid and what the Hunt's are trying to do and be more cap friendly.  Unless he's got a public persona that's vastly different than his actual persona, I think the Chiefs gave a massive contract for a massive timeframe and took a massive risk needlessly.  They could have paid him handsomely for 4 years and re-set at an even higher level in Year 5 if it were warranted.

SAR I

I get what you’re saying, but to me it’s like when you talk about BMWs or watches. I laugh when it annoys people, because you remind me of myself.

You are willing to pay more to get a quality product, but when you walk out of the dealership you want to feel you made a fair deal. To me this is the same thing

The Chiefs organization isn’t poorly run, and I didn’t hear of any acrimony in these negotiations. Both sides seem happy with the deal. I’d be willing to bet that after that 4th (2023?)year of control you’re talking about, we’ll be saying this was a  good deal for the Chiefs and Mahomes.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the NFL is going to lose a lot of viewership. Just a guess but the game is pretty ugly lately, the refs have been ruining it, guys like Adams a SS whining 2 years left on his contract, the 2 national anthems, especially if like Jason Whitlock pointed out if they play the black anthem & then guys take knees for the National Anthem? Ouch, I’m already seeing a huge backlash coming for the NFL. 

You’re one of the old school fans (like me) who think every fan is tuning in just for the game itself.

Thats not why football is as popular as it is. Most games are like watching paint dry. Boring, with endless stoppages and commercials. About 30 minutes of action dragged out for 3 1/2 hours.

What brings viewers nowadays, as much as the game itself, are the gambling and fantasy aspects. Football is perfect for both, and as long as it has those, nobody is tuning out.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well given their entire contract is guaranteed, yeah, they get more guaranteed money

In this case it pretty much is guaranteed though.

Even if it wasn’t though, top QBs like Rothlisberger, Brees, and the Manning’s get every cent of their money. Teams don’t cut star QBs, and KC isn’t cutting Mahomes.

I can counter that.  

• Drew Brees (SB 44)
  • Eli Manning (SB 46)
  • Cam Newton (SB 50)
  • Matt Ryan (SB 51)

Good counter.  So it comes down to paying the RIGHT quarterback...and having a decent HC.  lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Good counter.  So it comes down to paying the RIGHT quarterback...and having a decent HC.  lol

In other words:  Some organizations are equipped to pay their QB and keep on winning.  And some QB's are so good they can carry teams on their backs.

In KC's case, I think they have both factors going for them.

And I don't buy that Mahomes will stop being the best QB in the game whenever Andy Reid retires.  It's true that Reid is one of the best offensive minds in the game's history.  It's also true that Mahomes is easily the best QB Reid has ever worked with, with whom Reid took his own coaching game to new heights.

After all, Reid traded up to get him after Alex Smith had just come off a career year.  And meanwhile, Reid was always known for being the guy who could never get over the hump and win in the playoffs.  That was no longer a problem with Mahomes.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

these splashy signings are spends to get above the floor not the same as funding the roster properly 

they haven't spent to the cap since the Rex era a decade ago

the last time they made the playoffs coincidentally 

How much below the cap have they been?

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well yeah lol. 

But saying Mahomes has the largest contract ever is just false. He will be lucky to see 50% of that 500 million number. 

I can counter that.  

• Drew Brees (SB 44)
  • Eli Manning (SB 46)
  • Cam Newton (SB 50)
  • Matt Ryan (SB 51)

Exactly. The whole idea that you need your QB on a rookie deal to win it all is nonsense. Does it help? Absolutely. But plenty of examples otherwise.

The rookie deal theory also depends on discounting Brady's last 3 championships, as if he was paid nothing.  Confirmation bias is a powerful drug.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Well yeah lol. 

But saying Mahomes has the largest contract ever is just false. He will be lucky to see 50% of that 500 million number. 

All he has to do is be on the roster for the majority of the contract to get over 50 % of that $500M.  If he's on the roster in 2026, he'll have made $225.7M.  

If he makes it to 2027, he'll have racked up $285M+.  

And most of the "outs" on the deal won't really be up to KC.  They'll be primarily up to Mahomes.

EcR6ofPXsAELjq4?format=jpg&name=medium