Mahomes agrees to 10 year extension

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there's 92 percent floor 

there's 100 percent cap 

that 8 percent difference on a 188 mil cap is about 15 mil 

the Jets have not spent to the cap for a decade

it's not my opinion. it's how the team operates. 

everyone shredded manish for that "1 year deal" article but a broken clock is right twice a day.

Other teams do in fact spend much more than the Jets on their roster. They are bottom 5 in roster spend. 

Which is kind of shameful considering the tri state area luxury box prices they charge

That's because @SAR I buys the cheapo $4.99 basket of chicken fingers.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

This deal hurts us. Sam will get close.  It doesn't matter where you rank it's when you become a free agent. At one point Cousins got the richest deal and most guaranteed. And he wasn't even in the top 15. 

This is actually wrong. If Mahomes had gotten just a little more than the next highest guy, that would be a real possibility. The fact that Mahomes blew the QB average out of the water with a 45M/yr extension makes it easier for teams to say he's in a class by himself and to exclude him from the comps.

It does, however, hurt the team by driving up the cost of a franchise tag. Previous "average of top 5 QB salaries" was 33.8M (and Rothlisberger was about to age off so it would drop a bit). By the time Sam comes up for a tag in the 2023 offseason, and without even factoring in Watson's extension, the tag will be 36M. If Watson gets 40M (and he will), that would go up to about 38M. At that point, it's almost worth transition tagging Sam and letting the market set his value if you can't get to a deal.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So, youre saying the money was spent just it will be a lot more than 100 mil when all is said and done

You find me where it says paying it off on time isnt the same as spending money.  Did you pay cash for your house?  I didnt, I still felt like I was spending a fortune at closing.

And I presume when he financed it through a series of loans he agreed to pay more than the 100 mil back.  High finance and all.  

I'm very glad your back and feeling better, but I have no interest in arguing this with you.  I don't get the sense you quite understand how these things are done, but no worries, it's really not worth the usual exchange about.  And yes, +1 on the spending a fortune on our homes, no doubt.

I don't particularly agree with Bit that the Johnson's are cheap anyway.  /shrug.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Stark said:

would you give sam a 10 year deal rumored to avg 40 mil per right now? its reasonable to want to see more consistent play from him, ala... packers, texans game from rookie year, Dallas past season and improved play from the last 8 game of this year agains teams that aren't the worst 8 teams in the league. with additions to the line we all hoping sam shows out this year, because the sooner you know and get a deal done the cheaper he will be. cheaper is not really appropriate when talking about that much money.

No but the comparison would be whether we give him that contract next year. He is till a year behind Mahomes. Lets say he goes out and clearly is Top 5 in NFL next year. Would you consider a 10 year contract?

49 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

lot of guys on this board are going to be doing 180’s on our young QB.

If he’s worth it, I doubt there will be many 180’s at all. Everyone understands the QB market. Everyone understands the value of a QB and if Sam is a valuable QB, keep him & give him everything he asks for. 

Its not hard.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Offer Sam 12/240 right now!

As far fetched as it sounds, he just has to be a good franchise QB for that deal to be genius by year 4 with the way the market is going. Doesn't even have to be an amazing QB (though I believe he can be one).

It's a nuts concept, but it has a point. 

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

At that point, it's almost worth transition tagging Sam and letting the market set his value if you can't get to a deal.

Yeah. Or the non-exclusive franchise tag, at least. That's what I thought the Cowboys should've done with Dak. 

Just like Jamal Adams, he totally outperformed his rookie contract parameters. Just like the Jets, the Chiefs would be idiots not to just cut to the chase, stop playing stupid, petty, childish games, and give the man is money. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank GOD we didn’t draft Mahomes!!

We would have had to spend all that money on the best QB in the NFL by far!!

Now we are free to draft guys who should be UDFA freely!!

KC those suckers!!

I tried to tell everyone 4 years ago about this kid, Macc, and the lawn ornament wanted a SS who most likely won’t be on the Jets roster in a year, or 2.

• Post of the Week 2

I'll get destroyed for saying this, but I think that's a bad move. I mean, he'll be 34 by the end of that contract, and there's no way to predict what will happen in the next 10 years. One bad injury can spell doom for a player. That's a long commitment. Just ask the Yankees about A-Rod's contract. He had a great 2007 season, and was good for a few more years, but not even close to worth what they were paying him.

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If he’s worth it, I doubt there will be many 180’s at all. Everyone understands the QB market. Everyone understands the value of a QB and if Sam is a valuable QB, keep him & give him everything he asks for. 

Its not hard.

Let’s see how it plays out PK. 

I agree with you about the QB market, but I still say guys will be flipping out. Jets fans never seem to want Jets to get paid.

I’ll tell you one thing, Sam is in a nice spot. He can break the bank next year with let’s say a 6 year deal for $220-250, then turn around and do it again at age 30. 

Sexton isn’t going to be handing out any home team discounts.

5 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I’ll tell you one thing, Sam is in a nice spot. He can break the bank next year with let’s say a 6 year deal for $220-250, then turn around and do it again at age 30. 

He is in a very nice position considering he was the youngest starting QB since the merger. Cousins put himself in a similar situation when he only signed with Minny for 3 years. He could of struck another major payday if he would of delivered for them a bit better the past two seasons.

Agreed on Sexton. That guy is not going to be easy to move around negotiation wise. One of the best in the business at getting his players exactly what they want. I also don’t see a reason not to give Sam everything he wants as long as he performs well. It’s all dependent on Sam. Give us some scores and it feels easy giving the bucks.

2 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Ehh yes and no 1) I love Darnold but there is no fn way he is going to produce enough next year to warrant a Mahomes like contract. He'd have to throw 50+ TDs and win a superbowl and MVP and even then he'd have only matched SOME of Pat's accomplishments. Dude is just on a different level. 2) The chiefs are paying 6 guys 15mm plus in 2020, and have a bunch of commitments in 2021. The Jets are only paying CJ and Leveon more than 15mm and Crowder is next at 10mm. For 2021 they are basically only committed to CJ. They have a way they could make it work if they wanted to - they could also potentially offer Jamal 15mm/yr with escalations based on cap to mitigate COVID risks I just don't think they want to do that and/or set the precedent. 

Agreed.  I think Dak's deal (whenever he gets it) will have a bigger impact on Darnold's than Mahomes' deal will.

Then again, Dak will undoubtedly be using Mahomes' deal to try to justify more money for himself.  So it's all tied together, somewhat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

This deal hurts us. Sam will get close.  It doesn't matter where you rank it's when you become a free agent. At one point Cousins got the richest deal and most guaranteed. And he wasn't even in the top 15. 

Mahomes was going to get paid big money this offseason or next.  There wasn't anything we could really do to preempt that.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

No but the comparison would be whether we give him that contract next year. He is till a year behind Mahomes. Lets say he goes out and clearly is Top 5 in NFL next year. Would you consider a 10 year contract?

Though I alluded to that in my post. Not right now need to see more. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  I think Dak's deal (whenever he gets it) will have a bigger impact on Darnold's than Mahomes' deal will.

Then again, Dak will undoubtedly be using Mahomes' deal to try to justify more money for himself.  So it's all tied together, somewhat.

Pat Mahomes is legit, Dak not so much.

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

I think he'll be one he higher paid. Not because he's better but when he's a FA. Its not always if you're better. It's when you are Free. Look at Cousins. 

He won't be a free agent.  With the 5th year option, Darnold's deal doesn't expire until after the 2022 season.

31 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I'll get destroyed for saying this, but I think that's a bad move. I mean, he'll be 34 by the end of that contract, and there's no way to predict what will happen in the next 10 years. One bad injury can spell doom for a player. That's a long commitment. Just ask the Yankees about A-Rod's contract. He had a great 2007 season, and was good for a few more years, but not even close to worth what they were paying him.

It's not, though.  We can be very certain that this so-called 10-year deal will have "outs" by Year 6 or 7.  

Also, 34 really isn't that old for a QB.  There are 7 active starting QBs who are that age or older:  Brady (42), Brees (40), Rivers (38), Roethlisberger (37), Fitzpatrick (37), Rodgers (36), and Matt Ryan (34).  

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Pat Mahomes is legit, Dak not so much.

Well yeah, but plenty of bad contracts have been handed to QB's who weren't worth it.  Dak is going to get paid big money, whether its in Dallas or elsewhere.  Just not Mahomes money.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm very glad your back and feeling better, but I have no interest in arguing this with you.  I don't get the sense you quite understand how these things are done, but no worries, it's really not worth the usual exchange about.  And yes, +1 on the spending a fortune on our homes, no doubt.

I don't particularly agree with Bit that the Johnson's are cheap anyway.  /shrug.

I’m not arguing.  Not close Warfish, Didn’t want it to come off that way.  Not a problem here