Bought a Yeti Cooler

Finally broke down and did it, bought a Yeti cooler. Crazy expensive. Going camping next week in an RV park on the beach. Damn old coolers keep melting. Hope this is worth the money. I tried the Walmart brand everyone said it worked well and it was terrible.

Yeti.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Ok so we need to get a new cooler(s) as what we have isn’t working. We currently have the little jets cooler they have given us and a cheap soft sided on. 

We don’t need them to stay cold for days - just stay cold on a 3 hour drive with a 2 hour dinner break.  Maybe 6 so we can use for tailgating.   Mostly put food in these things. 

space is an issue as we are often moving stuff from our house to apartment and wife wants to keep the food instead of thrown it away. 

any modestly priced ones or brand or styles you guy think might be good? Thanks

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I have the same one!

Do you?  I have been hopes for this cooler. Pretty damn heavy with nothing in it. Not the biggest problem in the world but I hate putting ice in the cooler and watching it melt minutes later.

53 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Ok so we need to get a new cooler(s) as what we have isn’t working. We currently have the little jets cooler they have given us and a cheap soft sided on. 

We don’t need them to stay cold for days - just stay cold on a 3 hour drive with a 2 hour dinner break.  Maybe 6 so we can use for tailgating.   Mostly put food in these things. 

space is an issue as we are often moving stuff from our house to apartment and wife wants to keep the food instead of thrown it away. 

any modestly priced ones or brand or styles you guy think might be good? Thanks

I have a small walmart cooler that sounds like it will be perfect for you.  :)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

RTIC is great as well, but I became a Yeti snob several years ago.  Much to the chagrin of my wife our bonus/storage room has been filling up over the years.

I've looked at Yeti - RTIC comparisons for years and there's a strong argument for RTIC, but I'm in the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" camp and have never had a bad experience with Yeti, so I've stayed onboard.

@The Crimson King - Regarding pre-cooling, it absolutely helps.  I call it the "sacrificial bag of ice".  I keep the cooler inside and bury a small bag of ice in it the night before I'm going to pack the cooler.  The next day I empty the ice (or at least drain any water completely), the internal temp of the cooler is now very low, and I start packing it with ice and items.  It definitely extends the longevity of the ice in the cooler, which is already several days.  On my 75, I can easily go 4+ days and still have ice as long as I don't keep the lid open for extended periods of time or leave the cooler in direct sunlight for like 8 hours a day.

IMG_2935.thumb.jpg.182763a77cb3f453f1fc103b2bb67496.jpg

• Upvote 2

While Im sure the Yeti is a superb cooler, I cant bring myself to shell out that kind of cash for one. I dont think I need something like that quite yet (i) for my adventures.

On a related topic though, the Contigo snap lid cups (WallyWorld, Walgreens 16 bucks) are amazing for keeping ice solid for hours and days. I have 4 and use the 20oz for mixed drinks on the weekend. Fill with ice once and no need to replentish all night. (booze is always kept in the freezer so its ice cold too)

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

While Im sure the Yeti is a superb cooler, I cant bring myself to shell out that kind of cash for one. I dont think I need something like that quite yet (i) for my adventures.

On a related topic though, the Contigo snap lid cups (WallyWorld, Walgreens 16 bucks) are amazing for keeping ice solid for hours and days. I have 4 and use the 20oz for mixed drinks on the weekend. Fill with ice once and no need to replentish all night. (booze is always kept in the freezer so its ice cold too)

Nice.  I'll check those out.

And yes, roto molded coolers like the Yeti are pricey.  My first one (the smaller white Yeti Roadie above) was something I won as a gift at a conference.  But after using it a few times I was hooked.  I justified the larger 75 for tailgates and camping trips, but also waited until a Black Friday sale in November to get it.....and then gave it to myself from Santa! :D   The larger tub on the left was a splurge about a year ago before hosting a party and I wanted to keep a keg cold for several days.  It's unbelievable!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And yes, roto molded coolers like the Yeti are pricey.  My first one (the smaller white Yeti Roadie above) was something I won as a gift at a conference.  But after using it a few times I was hooked.  I justified the larger 75 for tailgates and camping trips, but also waited until a Black Friday sale in November to get it.....and then gave it to myself from Santa! :D   The larger tub on the left was a splurge about a year ago before hosting a party and I wanted to keep a keg cold for several days.  It's unbelievable!

2685780_Biscay_Bay?wid=1200&hei=1200&op_sharpen=1

This is the 20 oz and its worth its weight in gold to me. Coffee stays hot for hours, but ice drinks stay cold for days with ice.

(this one is from a KOHLs ad)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It take you your friends a couple of days to finish a keg when having a party? Lame!

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, batman10023 said:

How,long do these last?

forever, legit.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:35 AM, Maxman said:

Do you?  I have been hopes for this cooler. Pretty damn heavy with nothing in it. Not the biggest problem in the world but I hate putting ice in the cooler and watching it melt minutes later.

It is heavy.  Got it for a wedding present. I keep it strictly poolside because I have a huge one on wheels that I take if I'm going somewhere.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

This is the 20 oz and its worth its weight in gold to me. Coffee stays hot for hours, but ice drinks stay cold for days with ice.

I can attest to this, have one for coffee and another for cold drinks.  Really good cups.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Yeah I had one and it was great but I gave it to a student because someone stole his. I got it from Walmart. Definitely recommended if you are looking for something like this

• Upvote 2

98 degrees yesterday. We are right on the water. Cooler was hot. Poured ice in it, the whole thing melted almost immediately.  

Day two the water was still really cold though. Poured more ice into it today and that ice is holding up much better. But in this heat I don't think anything will have a chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

98 degrees yesterday. We are right on the water. Cooler was hot. Poured ice in it, the whole thing melted almost immediately.  

Day two the water was still really cold though. Poured more ice into it today and that ice is holding up much better. But in this heat I don't think anything will have a chance.

isn't it suppose to last like 10 days?  the heat should have some impact but that much?

or when they do this 10 day test they do it in the dead of winter when temp is 25 degrees?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

If it’s really hot out you can prep it or pre chill the cooler. Put a couple bags of ice in there an hour or two before you load it. 

that chilled water still keeps stuff crazy cold. Good luck with your new yeti!

are you going to upgrade to a Kingsley now too?

• Upvote 2

On 7/20/2020 at 1:34 PM, Maxman said:

You really shouldn’t put ice in a hot/warm cooler.  The ice spends all its effort immediately trying to bring the internal temp of the cooler down towards freezing.  Don’t store coolers outside or in the garage in warm weather places.  If you have no choice at least bring the cooler inside the day before you’re going to use it in order to get it to room temperature.  But as stated a few times, the pro method is to sacrifice a bag of ice the night before to pre-chill the cooler, then empty the water the next day before packing the cooler with ice and items for use.

• Upvote 2

On 7/21/2020 at 5:49 AM, BP said:

If it’s really hot out you can prep it or pre chill the cooler. Put a couple bags of ice in there an hour or two before you load it. 

that chilled water still keeps stuff crazy cold. Good luck with your new yeti!

are you going to upgrade to a Kingsley now too?

BP finding his niche!  Providing cooler advice!  My man!

• Haha 3