Queue Joe Namath Jumping On The Pile-On In 3...2...1...

SAR I

https://nypost.com/2020/09/25/joe-namath-is-starting-to-worry-about-sam-darnold/

[It wouldn't be right to have Broadway Joe miss his annual "I'm worried about ____________" Jets moment and drive up his followers on social media.  I'm sure Fireman Ed is next.]

Joe Namath is starting to worry about Sam Darnold

Joe Namath had some strong thoughts on his former team’s start to the 2020 season.

Speaking on The Post’s “Gangs All Here” podcast, the legendary quarterback criticized the Jets’ performance through their 0-2 start and also discussed current quarterback Sam Darnold’s mechanics.

In addition to pointing out the team’s inability to execute, the 77-year-old called on Darnold to “play better” and was reluctant to describe the third-year Jet as a “franchise quarterback.”

“In his third year, Sam is not without fault too,” Namath said. “I wasn’t without fault in my 12th year, 11th year. We made mistakes. Sam has got to play better too. … It’s a collective failure so far. It’s not just Sam not playing his football. I don’t know if there is a player on the team that can say they’ve played their best football at this point.

“Getting determined to change something in the work habits, the practice habits, but change is a constant and what they’ve been trying is not working. They need to get better, or they are going to be gone. It’s going to be a long season of frustration. They have got to change. I don’t know about their mental attitude, but they sure as heck have to change their execution failures and be more positive with how they are going about things.”

Namath also said he thought it was “too far ahead” to consider Darnold as the Jets’ franchise quarterback.

“I think that’s too far ahead. [Trevor] Lawrence is going to get picked by somebody,” Namath said of the Clemson star and presumptive No. 1-overall draft pick in 2021. “I don’t think we’re going to be the last-place team in the league. I’m certainly hoping not. As far as Sam so far, it’s a collective effort of failure.

“Some guys, if the running game is going better, the passing game will go better. You [have] got individuals on a series of plays making mistakes. One guy makes a mistake, and a play can break down. They all [have] got to play better. You know, this is the big leagues. If they don’t play better, they will be looking for a job. That’s just the way this sport is and [is] in most sports. Other sports too, that one-eyed monster, that tape you have after the game to look at, it doesn’t tell any lies, man. Each guy gets evaluated every single play, and if they’re not doing the job, then Mr. [general manager Joe] Douglas, they have to find other players.”

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I am looking forward to Monday, November 2, 2020, when I think we will have a realistic vision of who the Jets are, and whether Gase can realistically be kept around into 2021 as someone whose sole real job really is to develop Darnold and the offense.

We can make all sorts of excuses for the roster and the injuries, but I think there should be enough over those 6 weeks to give us a good read.

I have a prediction of what that will look like, and I think SAR I does as well.  The one thing I will say is that I think we should all give LESS credit to an end of season recovery if the Jets were already deeply out of it by that point and we are playing teams that have already quit.  Part of the HC's job is to get the team ready for weeks 1 and 2.

But, as we have said, this year weeks 1 and 2 were definitely hopeless for a rebuilding team.   The Colts are a bad match up for these Jets.  

Let the games begin.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/25/joe-namath-is-starting-to-worry-about-sam-darnold/

“Some guys, if the running game is going better, the passing game will go better. You [have] got individuals on a series of plays making mistakes. One guy makes a mistake, and a play can break down. They all [have] got to play better. You know, this is the big leagues. If they don’t play better, they will be looking for a job. That’s just the way this sport is and [is] in most sports. Other sports too, that one-eyed monster, that tape you have after the game to look at, it doesn’t tell any lies, man. Each guy gets evaluated every single play, and if they’re not doing the job, then Mr. [general manager Joe] Douglas, they have to find other players.”

SAR I

To me Namath is essentially right.

I love Darnold but he hasn't proven anything yet but the more obvious pont is the above and I asked this in another thread..

Why doesn't the GENIUS ADAM GASE run the ball behind Mekhi Becton the most dominating presence on the OL until the defense stops them consistently???

Blame Darnold  all you want, but it is stupidity like this, obvious crap, that says to me Adam Gase is the problem right now!

• Upvote 2

"Namath also said that the roster is a complete disaster, the ownership is terrible and the uniforms suck.  The only thing he seemed to fully endorse was that Adam Gase has the potential to be the best head coach in the history of football.  "I trust the experts," Namath said, "and if SAR I tells me that Gase is the right man then I trust him just as I did when buying my first BMW and my Kenmore dishwasher.  That guy knows his stuff!"

We need to get a wellness check done on Joe. :P

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SAR I said:

[It wouldn't be right to have Broadway Joe miss his annual "I'm worried about ____________" Jets moment and drive up his followers on social media.  I'm sure Fireman Ed is next.]

Joe Namath is starting to worry about Sam Darnold

Joe Namath had some strong thoughts on his former team’s start to the 2020 season.

Speaking on The Post’s “Gangs All Here” podcast, the legendary quarterback criticized the Jets’ performance through their 0-2 start and also discussed current quarterback Sam Darnold’s mechanics.

In addition to pointing out the team’s inability to execute, the 77-year-old called on Darnold to “play better” and was reluctant to describe the third-year Jet as a “franchise quarterback.”

“In his third year, Sam is not without fault too,” Namath said. “I wasn’t without fault in my 12th year, 11th year. We made mistakes. Sam has got to play better too. … It’s a collective failure so far. It’s not just Sam not playing his football. I don’t know if there is a player on the team that can say they’ve played their best football at this point.

“Getting determined to change something in the work habits, the practice habits, but change is a constant and what they’ve been trying is not working. They need to get better, or they are going to be gone. It’s going to be a long season of frustration. They have got to change. I don’t know about their mental attitude, but they sure as heck have to change their execution failures and be more positive with how they are going about things.”

Namath also said he thought it was “too far ahead” to consider Darnold as the Jets’ franchise quarterback.

“I think that’s too far ahead. [Trevor] Lawrence is going to get picked by somebody,” Namath said of the Clemson star and presumptive No. 1-overall draft pick in 2021. “I don’t think we’re going to be the last-place team in the league. I’m certainly hoping not. As far as Sam so far, it’s a collective effort of failure.

SAR I

The only thing that concerns me is his mechanics in a clean pocket. His hips, feet and shoulders rarely align to the intended target. This causes bad throws. Its an easy fix, yet he still has the same problem from college.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

To me Namath is essentially right.

I love Darnold but he hasn't proven anything yet but the more obvious pont is the above and I asked this in another thread..

Why doesn't the GENIUS ADAM GASE run the ball behind Mekhi Becton the most dominating presence on the OL until the defense stops them consistently???

Blame Darnold  all you want, but it is stupidity like this, obvious crap, that says to me Adam Gase is the problem right now!

That may have been the plan, CB.  But we'll never know because Bell went down and then Gore got stuffed.  And we were down big and early in both games.

I think Perine might be great.  Let's see what the kid can do as he's going to get 20+ touches on Sunday seeing that we have no receivers, could be interesting.  Or the best D in the NFL might put 11 in the box and that will be the end of that.

SAR I

• Upvote 1