Thursday Night is the Jets SuperBowl

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

They’re not winning any of those games 

As currently constituted, yes.

With Mims, Crowder, Perriman, Smith, and Bell returning?  If you think the Jets won't win any of those games, that's cool, show me the post in July where you said we were going 0-16.  If not, if you thought we were going 5-11, we still are.  You haven't seen the 2020 Jets offense.  They're on crutches.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ah, but this is the one thing that Gase proved to us last year-  that he was able to take a group of downtrodden 1-7 players and motivate them to a 6-2 finish.  Gase is good at this.  Did it in Miami too.  It's his wheelhouse.  He's the perfect head coach for a midseason turnaround.

Disagree, as we haven't seen Mims, Perriman, Crowder, Smith, and Bell on the field at the same time.  We can add Becton returning and Fant too.  

Bingo.  The turnaround all Jets fans are looking for comes from a massive mid-season player upgrade, not a coaching change.

SAR I

lol you’re shot

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I really want Trevor Lawrence. I've seen enough of Sam Darnold. 

Draft Trevor and use our picks and FA $ to build around him. 

Sam Darnold is worse than Sanchez ever was. 

Give Sam the OL Sanchez had in his first two years, the running game, and Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery,  Brad Smith and Dustin Keller and then tell us who is better.

Nevertheless I agree, we need to be all in for Trevor and need to hope we can trade Sam for a good draft pick.

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As currently constituted, yes.

With Mims, Crowder, Perriman, Smith, and Bell returning?  If you think the Jets won't win any of those games, that's cool, show me the post in July where you said we were going 0-16.  If not, if you thought we were going 5-11, we still are.  You haven't seen the 2020 Jets offense.  They're on crutches.

SAR I

A physicist, engineer and economist are stranded on a desert island. They have one can of food between them but no can-opener.

The physicist says "We can start a campfire and heat the can. After the pressure inside exceeds 3 atmospheres, the can should burst open on its own."

The engineer says "Or, we can build a rudimentary catapult by bending a palm tree and launch the can at a high velocity. When it hits those those big rocks over there, it will break open and we can eat."

The economist shakes his smug head, "You're both idiots. All we have to do is assume we have a can-opener."

SAR is the economist.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Mims is a rookie with basically no training camp or practice time. Perriman grades as a historically bad WR. Smith is a classic JAG that Jets fans fall in love with before they ever do anything interesting. Gase no interest in designing an attack utilizing Bell's strengths.

Saying that things will be materially better with these guys is disingenuous bordering on delusional IMHO. 

You may be right.  But we won't know until we give it a try and see what happens.  The new offense with the new players that Joe Douglas built back in July hasn't been on the field in September.

We can't fault Gase for having a paper-thin roster that can't withstand deep injuries at skill positions.  He's as much a victim of a decade of bad GM'ing as we are.

And am I reading you right-  do you think Joe Douglas is negligent and a bad GM?  

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You may be right.  But we won't know until we give it a try and see what happens.  The new offense with the new players that Joe Douglas built back in July hasn't been on the field in September.

We can't fault Gase for having a paper-thin roster that can't withstand deep injuries at skill positions.  He's as much a victim of a decade of bad GM'ing as we are.

And am I reading you right-  do you think Joe Douglas is negligent and a bad GM?  

SAR I

Don't feel too bad for Gase. There is plenty of blame to go around. 

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

No expert assumes "perfect health" when making projections. They assume a team doesn't lose their starting QB. That's it. After that, the depth of a team and its ability to respond to the inevitable injuries (i.e. coaching) is baked into the prediction.

I don't recall any prognosticator saying "If the Jets are healthy they'll go 6-10 but if they lose 5 of 6 receiving targets at the same time I have them at 0-16".

They assume a 'casual' amount of injuries sprinkled around the roster.  Not a skewer through the receiving corps.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't recall any prognosticator saying "If the Jets are healthy they'll go 6-10 but if they lose 5 of 6 receiving targets at the same time I have them at 0-16".

They assume a 'casual' amount of injuries sprinkled around the roster.  Not a skewer through the receiving corps.

SAR I

At least you've admitted your "5 or 6 wins when perfectly healthy" comment was ridiculous. Debating you is gaining portions of an inch at a time and locking you into the new position so you can't weasel back later.

12 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Give Sam the OL Sanchez had in his first two years, the running game, and Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery,  Brad Smith and Dustin Keller and then tell us who is better.

That's all about situational awareness.  

Sanchez was brought here to win immediately with a playoff roster and compliment a conservative Ground & Pound philosophy.

Darnold was brought here to be Jesus for a downtrodden squad that has beaten one team with a winning record since 2013.

What Sanchez was asked to do and what Darnold is asked to do are two different things and require two different skillsets.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

At least you've admitted your "5 or 6 wins when perfectly healthy" comment was ridiculous. Debating you is gaining portions of an inch at a time and locking you into the new position so you can't weasel back later.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Those who predicted the Chiefs to go 12-4 didn't do so thinking there was a high likelihood that Mahomes would regress and they'd lose Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Kelce, and Edwards-Helaire because that's exactly what's happening to the Jets.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I have no idea what you're talking about.  Those who predicted the Chiefs to go 12-4 didn't do so thinking there was a high likelihood that Mahomes would regress and they'd lose Hill, Hardman, Watkins, Kelce, and Edwards-Helaire because that's exactly what's happening to the Jets.

SAR I

Except Darnold's progression was predictable and Jets have no depth to account for injuries. They are such vastly different circumstances that you are your own argument's worst enemy.

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I can't physically bring myself to root against the Jets, but in my mind, it's hard to not think that losing is best in the long run. The first priority is to abort this coaching staff from the organization, and we if we lose Thursday, that very likely happens. 

Yes, because the best time to change your coaching staff is in Week 4 with 11 players on IR/PUP including the two new bigtime playmakers who have yet to see the field at the same time yet.

If this coaching staff is no good we'll find that out in Week 17.  Until then, we wait for our injured players to return and see how the staff does with all the new pieces Joe Douglas added in the offseason.  Doing so prematurely would be one of the dumbest decisions in franchise history. 

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Yes, because the best time to change your coaching staff is in Week 4 with 11 players on IR/PUP including the two new bigtime playmakers who have yet to see the field at the same time yet.

If this coaching staff is no good we'll find that out in Week 17.  Until then, we wait for our injured players to return and see how the staff does with all the new pieces Joe Douglas added in the offseason.  Doing so prematurely would be one of the dumbest decisions in franchise history. 

SAR I

No, I'm sure they'll be dumber decisions.

Cuz...Jets.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't feel too bad for Gase. There is plenty of blame to go around. 

I don't feel bad about Gase.  I don't care about any of these players and coaches.  I just root for the laundry.

I have a fear about Gase.  A fear that he is the right man for the job and that Mr. Johnson's long term strategy is sound and that a small, gullible minority of numbskull fans being fired up by the media will get the Jets to overreact and send us back to square one on a rebuild again.  No way I'm signing up for that.  

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I don't feel bad about Gase.  I don't care about any of these players and coaches.  I just root for the laundry.

I have a fear about Gase.  A fear that he is the right man for the job and that Mr. Johnson's long term strategy is sound and that a small, gullible minority of numbskull fans being fired up by the media will get the Jets to overreact and send us back to square one on a rebuild again.  No way I'm signing up for that.  

SAR I

I just can't do this with you today lol

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When we get Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Smith, and Bell back we at least have a fair fight against non-playoff teams.

Cardinals
Chargers
Dolphins
Dolphins
Raiders
Rams
Browns
Patriots

You know how almost every expert had the Jets at 5-6 wins perfectly healthy?  Those up there were the games those wins they were referring to are coming from.  I had the Colts and Broncos on the potential W list too, but we're way too beat up for that to be a reasonable expectation.  Patriots too, but I saw a split.

With our full compliment of offensive weapons, Darnold seeing legitimate separation and reducing errors, a ground attack, and Gase opening the playbook, we will get our 5-6 wins.  And that's all JN fans were expecting back in July, so let's all chill, get healthy, and let the season play out.

SAR I

Last year even with Mosley out and Darnold sick you said they could still make the playoffs. End result 5-11. Earlier this year you were proclaiming this team could go 10-6 and win the division. That was never going to happen even with a completely healthy roster. Stop being delusional. Gase sucks. Jets suck. They will be lucky to win 2 games this year. 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

curb your enthusiasm ok GIF

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I love that you think that.

And, fwiw, at least an argument can be made in his defense that he's only coached a heavily injury-depleted team.  But I still think a good HC would've at least kept us competitive a lot more often than he has.

I can't stand Gase but it's reasonable enough to give him the rest of this season so long as he's not destroying Sam (though I think he might be).   I'd rather have Jim Bob coach the offense the rest of the way.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

By small, gullible minority do you mean 99%? You are the small, gullible minority that actually think Chris Johnson and Adam Gase are competent. Pot meet kettle. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Except Darnold's progression was predictable and Jets have no depth to account for injuries. They are such vastly different circumstances that you are your own argument's worst enemy.

Darnold:  He looks bad.  He's making high school rookie caliber mistakes.  He's got his own private quarterback whisperer who has elevated Josh Allen.  This looks like a bad pick more than bumbled coaching.

Depth:  Idzik and Maccagnan are the gifts that keep giving, we have suffered through a decade of bad drafts and that can't be fixed in one offseason.  

It is far more likely that Adam Gase is a victim of a bad roster, bad injuries, and a bad quarterback than he is the person singlehandedly responsible for this mess and whose firing will fix it all.  Knee-jerk Jets fans are the problem, not the solution.  Ignorant fans hated Sanchez, so they got rid of him.  Ignorant fans adored cuddly Rex Ryan, so they retained him.   Nothing good has happened here since.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm rooting for us to win just so SAR can rub it in our faces about how great Adam Gase is.

SAR doesn't think Adam Gase is great.  SAR just doesn't think he should be fired. 

SAR thinks no one knows if Adam Gase is good or bad because the roster damage and the compounding injuries doesn't give us a clear view of the truth.

SAR thinks the entitlement of Jets fans is one of the most laughable things in all of professional sports.  Like they're owed something more than what they're getting with this Idzik/Maccagnan mess.  All they want to do is yell and fire, yell and fire.  They don't actually want to fix the thing.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darnold:  He looks bad.  He's making high school rookie caliber mistakes.  He's got his own private quarterback whisperer who has elevated Josh Allen.  This looks like a bad pick more than bumbled coaching.

Depth:  Idzik and Maccagnan are the gifts that keep giving, we have suffered through a decade of bad drafts and that can't be fixed in one offseason.  

It is far more likely that Adam Gase is a victim of a bad roster, bad injuries, and a bad quarterback than he is the person singlehandedly responsible for this mess and whose firing will fix it all.  Knee-jerk Jets fans are the problem, not the solution.  Ignorant fans hated Sanchez, so they got rid of him.  Ignorant fans adored cuddly Rex Ryan, so they retained him.   Nothing good has happened here since.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

Why would you think that about Sam when you use every excuse in the book for Gase?  You blame a 23 year old whose only NFL experience is with a COMPLETELY INEPT organization?  And you're blaming Sam's lack of progress on Jordan Palmer when we all know that Gase was chosen as the guy to develop Sam?!   And you seem to be pointing the finger at Dowell Loggains, when you know perfectly well that he's Gase's guy.  

We've seen plenty of times in the NFL where a HC can make the best of a bad situation despite extremely trying circumstances.  Gase's teams get blown out on the regular.  You think we'd be seeing these scores if Parcells were here?  

To me, it makes perfect sense to put the overwhelming majority of the blame on Adam Gase, and to be inclined to be more lenient on Sam.  But even if you think Sam stinks, that's still a failure of Adam Gase.  We all know that you were a believer in Sam going into this season, btw.  I was (and still am) though while you seem to be throwing him under the bus in defense of Gase, who you now claim not to care about.

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And, fwiw, at least an argument can be made in his defense that he's only coached a heavily injury-depleted team.  But I still think a good HC would've at least kept us competitive a lot more often than he has.

I can't stand Gase but it's reasonable enough to give him the rest of this season so long as he's not destroying Sam (though I think he might be). 

We were competitive, the second half against the Bills almost worked, we only lost by 10 after being down 21.  Even yesterday, if Darnold doesn't gift the Colts 14 points and cost us 7 with an endzone interception, we win that game.  The core Colts O only scored 15 points.

Emotions aside, Christopher Johnson is committed to a rebuild with Gase at the helm and Douglas by his side.  We don't bail on him because injuries decimated an already weak roster that he had no hand in creating.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR doesn't think Adam Gase is great.  SAR just doesn't think he should be fired. 

SAR thinks no one knows if Adam Gase is good or bad because the roster damage and the compounding injuries doesn't give us a clear view of the truth.

SAR thinks the entitlement of Jets fans is one of the most laughable things in all of professional sports.  Like they're owed something more than what they're getting with this Idzik/Maccagnan mess.  All they want to do is yell and fire, yell and fire.  They don't actually want to fix the thing.

SAR I

Yet you're very quick to blame everything on a 23 year old QB (even when the HC that you fiercely defend was brought here to develop him).

Also, to call Jet fans "entitled" is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.

• Upvote 1