The QB Thread

maury77

If we get the pick we trade down a spot or two and take the big tackle from 

Oregon and a boat load of other picks to add to our picks. Begin the re - build process properly. I agree with the comments and would love to actually see Sam with talent. If he still flubs then we will have a shot at another "can't miss" qb.  If the tackle is not there I go Chase from LSU and then look for the Oklahoma center. Just keep building. Don't see value throwing another can't miss guy into a talentless pool of misfits and expect a different result.  Build the line, wideouts and pass rush as well as cb.  Lots to get. Trade the pick. It will be a rare chance to get good in a fairly short period of time.

i

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

Here is my Lawrence report 

Perfect build for a QB at 6’6”, he can see the entire field

Good athlete who is a threat to run

Slow processor who either sticks to his first read or takes a long time to get to his second read

Very good arm and throws a nice ball

Accuracy dips when he gets pressure in the pocket

Nice mechanics with an easy & smooth throwing motion

Tough kid, he took an absolute shot against Ohio State and came back in

He gets bailed out a lot by Clemson’s WRs, who are huge athletes that can play above the rim

Really stares down his WRs, going to lead to a lot of picks in the NFL

He doesn’t deal well with pressure

Generally accurate

He gets a lot of credit for being so successful since his freshman year, but that doesn't guarantee success in the NFL (see Jameis Winston)

I think if you put Lawrence on a good team, he is going to be successful, but his processing speed, his propensity to stare down his target and the way he deals with pressure concern me if he goes to a bad team (like the Jets). I don't know how accurate he is going to be if he isn't throwing to big athletic targets like Ross and Higgins. Is Lawrence a 1st rounder? Yes, no doubt. But he's not a Luck level prospect and I honestly think Deshaun Watson was a better prospect coming out. @sec101row23

Just watched every snap form both players and even with the 3 picks (2 times his WR fell) Fields looked like a lot better passer in that game.  Lawrence was mess, worse vs LSU.  He made plays with this legs and hit 2 passes to win the game (better plays then throws) but otherwise was terrible.  Multiple dropped picks, inaccurate, didn’t handle pressure well, ball placement was awful on the balls he did complete.  Whereas Fields was money.  Ball placement, progressions, evading pressure, touch, accuracy, long ball, all better.  

Going to get interesting when the Big 10 gets going .

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

Slow processor who either sticks to his first read or takes a long time to get to his second read

He gets bailed out a lot by Clemson’s WRs, who are huge athletes that can play above the rim

Generally accurate

He gets a lot of credit for being so successful since his freshman year, but that doesn't guarantee success in the NFL (see Jameis Winston)

I think if you put Lawrence on a good team, he is going to be successful, but his processing speed, his propensity to stare down his target and the way he deals with pressure concern me if he goes to a bad team (like the Jets). I don't know how accurate he is going to be if he isn't throwing to big athletic targets like Ross and Higgins. Is Lawrence a 1st rounder? Yes, no doubt. But he's not a Luck level prospect and I honestly think Deshaun Watson was a better prospect coming out. @sec101row23

Solid . Thanks. I'm no expert and have only seen a handful of his games but I'm really not seeing it

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, CTM said:

Solid . Thanks. I'm no expert and have only seen a handful of his games but I'm really not seeing it

The biggest worry is the staring down and not moving off the first read. We (rightfully) kill Darnold about that, but Lawrence is even more egregious. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Game to watch Clemson vs Miami

Agreed.   Miami has a very good chance of winning that game.   This Clemson team is very inexperienced on the O-line and D-line.  They haven’t been able to run the ball effectively and the pass protection is spotty.   Miami’s strength on their defensive front matches up really well against Clemson’s biggest weakness.   The WR group isn’t what it has been in years past.   

We will get a good look at Trevor under pressure on Saturday night.  He’s going to need to make faster decisions and come off of his first read and dump it off if it’s not there immediately.  Hopefully the coaching staff gives him those options, at times the play calling seems odd to me.   I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Miami wins this game.  

17 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The biggest worry is the staring down and not moving off the first read. We (rightfully) kill Darnold about that, but Lawrence is even more egregious. 

Watson had the same issues coming out of college.   Part of it is the offense and how they are coached in their reads.  Even though Trevor isn’t running the same offense as Watson, the overall philosophy is similar.   Saturday night will be a good eval on how well Trevor can read and react.   

• Upvote 1

If the Jets don’t draft a QB next year then I fear they won’t be able to get a prospect as good as Fields or Lawrence for a few years.  2022 doesn’t look promising at all IMO, and 2023 could be the same.  I don’t think JD would risk his tenure here by not taking one of these kids. If he passes on them then he may not be able to draft “his guy” until year 5 of his reign here.   I don’t think he can afford to do that.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

If the Jets don’t draft a QB next year then I fear they won’t be able to get a prospect as good as Fields or Lawrence for a few years.  2022 doesn’t look promising at all IMO, and 2023 could be the same.  I don’t think JD would risk his tenure here by not taking one of these kids. If he passes on them then he may not be able to draft “his guy” until year 5 of his reign here.   I don’t think he can afford to do that.  

Totally agree.

47 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The only guy who somewhat interesting is waiting to take the reigns from Lawrence.   Obviously someone will emerge but you could be waiting to get prospects like these 2.  Very rarely do you see the top 2 recruiters, not only live up to expectation but exceed them, as much doubt as I have in Lawrence, you cant deny that characteristic. 

The only way you dont is if someone comes free you actually believe could be a franchise QB like maybe Prescott chooses to leave or Winston figured it out behind Brees.  Maybe then you try to get a proven fix but if they're looking at drafting one, this is the year.  Unless both or 1 decide to say for some reason.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Watson had the same issues coming out of college.   Part of it is the offense and how they are coached in their reads.  Even though Trevor isn’t running the same offense as Watson, the overall philosophy is similar.   Saturday night will be a good eval on how well Trevor can read and react.   

You watch a hell of a lot more Clemson football than I do, but I'm going to disagree on this one. I remember scouting Watson in 2017 and wanting to draft him because he was a quick processor.

Mark Schofield (1 of the best QB analysts out there) on Deshaun coming out - https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/04/05/rsp-film-room-no-104-qb-deshaun-watson-wmark-schofield/

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

You watch a hell of a lot more Clemson football than I do, but I'm going to disagree on this one. I remember scouting Watson in 2017 and wanting to draft him because he was a quick processor.

Mark Schofield (1 of the best QB analysts out there) on Deshaun coming out - https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/04/05/rsp-film-room-no-104-qb-deshaun-watson-wmark-schofield/

Schofield and Waldman did a piece on Lawrence I’ve been meaning to watch, started it and then got distracted. Early chatter made it seem like they both loved him though.

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Who knows in 2 years, but 2023 could feature:

C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

D.J. Uiagalelei, QB, Clemson

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Deshaun would come off his first read faster and want to use his legs.   That’s not to say that he always pulled it down and ran if the first read was covered.   I think Trevor wants to hang in the pocket more and not use his legs as much and doesn’t come off his read as fast.  

17 hours ago, JiF said:

Just watched every snap form both players and even with the 3 picks (2 times his WR fell) Fields looked like a lot better passer in that game.  Lawrence was mess, worse vs LSU.  He made plays with this legs and hit 2 passes to win the game (better plays then throws) but otherwise was terrible.  Multiple dropped picks, inaccurate, didn’t handle pressure well, ball placement was awful on the balls he did complete.  Whereas Fields was money.  Ball placement, progressions, evading pressure, touch, accuracy, long ball, all better.  

Going to get interesting when the Big 10 gets going .

No doubt Fields is a good passer but he's not a good decision maker IMHO nor will he be in the NFL. 

The other issue with Fields is his long deliberate delivery. 

Lawrence was under major constant pressure in this game which is why he had to try and go to his first read more often than not. Its also why some of his passes were not perfectly on target as some want to see. 

Lawrence is the better pro prospect and its not even close

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

No doubt Fields is a good passer but he's not a good decision maker IMHO nor will he be in the NFL. 

What are you basing this on?  The 2 picks vs. Clemson?  Watch the tape provided in this thread, his WR fell on 1 (or both he actually threw another but it was called back) and he was significantly better than Lawrence who legit had like 4 INT's dropped by OSU, 2 he threw directly at the defender.  Its a bit of watch but check it out, I honestly dont think I realized how drastic the difference was until I saw each individual snap.

Going into that game Fields threw 44 TD's and INT and completed 67% of his passes.   I mean, how many bad decisions did you see him make?  lol

And something you plainly can see in those snaps, is that Lawrence isnt really asked to make decisions in the passing game.  It's a 1 read system or his first read is a dummy read.  Super creative play designs, lots of wide open guys.  If a WR is contested at all, he's bad.  He asks his WR's to make ridiculous adjustments.  Also, the only time that he really makes a decision is in the RPO and I dont think I've ever actually seen him throw it from an RPO look.  They mostly run the ball it when they use RPO .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

What are you basing this on?  The 2 picks vs. Clemson?  Watch the tape provided in this thread, his WR fell on 1 (or both he actually threw another but it was called back) and he was significantly better than Lawrence who legit had like 4 INT's dropped by OSU, 2 he threw directly at the defender.  Its a bit of watch but check it out, I honestly dont think I realized how drastic the difference was until I saw each individual snap.

Going into that game Fields threw 44 TD's and INT and completed 67% of his passes.   I mean, how many bad decisions did you see him make?  lol

And something you plainly can see in those snaps, is that Lawrence isnt really asked to make decisions in the passing game.  It's a 1 read system or his first read is a dummy read.  Super creative play designs, lots of wide open guys.  If a WR is contested at all, he's bad.  He asks his WR's to make ridiculous adjustments.  Also, the only time that he really makes a decision is in the RPO and I dont think I've ever actually seen him throw it from an RPO look.  They mostly run the ball it when they use RPO .

You mention 2 picks but you didn't mention the near pick six where he totally mis-read the safety. That happened near his own goal line which made it that much worse. 

FWIW with the rush Lawrence was facing it was smart to make it a one read play book for that particular game get the ball out fast if the throw is not there throw it where the defender can't get it Smart Football.. Kudos to Swinney for realizing that would be the case the entire game. I've watched Lawrence scan the field in other games and he does not stare down WR's. 

Lawrence's release is far superior to Fields as is his ability to read a defense. 

Bottom line is we probably wont agree and that's cool but I would be willing to bet Lawrence goes Number 1 in the upcoming draft and will have a much higher draft grade

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

You mention 2 picks but you didn't mention the near pick six where he totally mis-read the safety. That happened near his own goal line which made it that much worse. 

FWIW with the rush Lawrence was facing it was smart to make it a one read play book for that particular game get the ball out fast if the throw is not there throw it where the defender can't get it Smart Football.. Kudos to Swinney for realizing that would be the case the entire game. I've watched Lawrence scan the field in other games and he does not stare down WR's. 

Lawrence's release is far superior to Fields as is his ability to read a defense. 

Bottom line is we probably wont agree and that's cool but I would be willing to bet Lawrence goes Number 1 in the upcoming draft and will have a much higher draft grade

No, I totally mentioned it.  Lol.  Again, 3 picks and 45 TD's, 67%, he's not making that many bad decisions.

You're right, we agree to disagree.  Clearly I'm not the only one in the thread that sees what I see though so it will be interesting to see Fields this year.  

And yes Lawrence will go first but it's not because he's better. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

No, I totally mentioned it.  Lol.  Again, 3 picks and 45 TD's, 67%, he's not making that many bad decisions.

You're right, we agree to disagree.  Clearly I'm not the only one in the thread that sees what I see though so it will be interesting to see Fields this year.  

I was talking about 2 picks in the one game that meant everything and the one dropped pick near the goal line . If we are going to just talk stats in the one game that mattered most Fields had one TD on a dump pass the RB took to the house and 2 Ints. Lawrence had 2 TDs passing and 1 TD rushing and ran for 107 yards. Fields had 13 rushes for 14 yards

14 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I was talking about 2 picks in the one game that meant everything and the one dropped pick near the goal line . If we are going to just talk stats in the one game that mattered most Fields had one TD on a dump pass the RB took to the house and 2 Ints. Lawrence had 2 TDs passing and 1 TD rushing and ran for 107 yards. Fields had 13 rushes for 14 yards

Ugh. Sigh, Smash.  I didnt think we were dumbing this down to stat lines and I thought we were talking about their passing ability. 

I've literally asked you multiple times to go watch the tape. Which you clearly, have not done because you're mistaken.  Fields had 1 TD and it was a 23 yard strike into the endzone to Chris Olave.  It was Lawrence who threw 2 TD dump offs to his RB, Travis Etienne took them to the house.  

I'll say it again, I think you will be surprised if you go watch each snap by both players.  I too thought it was Lawrence's game, after see it again, snap by snap, he was an absolute mess and could only make plays with his feet.  He was wildly inaccurate.  Wildly inaccurate and even worse vs. LSU.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ugh. Sigh, Smash.  I didnt think we were dumbing this down to stat lines and I thought we were talking about their passing ability. 

I've literally asked you multiple times to go watch the tape. Which you clearly, have not done because you're mistaken.  Fields had 1 TD and it was a 23 yard strike into the endzone to Chris Olave.  It was Lawrence who threw 2 TD dump offs to his RB, Travis Etienne took them to the house.  

I'll say it again, I think you will be surprised if you go watch each snap by both players.  I too thought it was Lawrence's game, after see it again, snap by snap, he was an absolute mess and could only make plays with his feet.  He was wildly inaccurate.  Wildly inaccurate and even worse vs. LSU.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

FWIW you started with the stat lines. With that being said stat lines for a full season in college football mean next to nothing but in a bowl game I think they speak volumes especially when they go head to head with one guy making numerous mistakes and the other guy making none.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

FWIW you started with the stat lines. With that being said stat lines for a full season in college football mean next to nothing but in a bowl game I think they speak volumes especially when they go head to head with one guy making numerous mistakes and the other guy making none.

omg dude stop commenting and please watch the tape is provide in the thread.  Lawrence made numerous mistakes. He was miserable on the day.  OSU literally dropped multiple INT's.  2 that were thrown directly to a defender that he did not see.  

If you're going to just throw away Fields entire season and say he makes bad decisions because of 1 game, then why are you not talking about how Lawrence put up the most embarrassing championship performance possibly in the history of the NCAA?

On 10/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, maury77 said:

Generally accurate

I think if you put Lawrence on a good team, he is going to be successful, but his processing speed, his propensity to stare down his target and the way he deals with pressure concern me if he goes to a bad team (like the Jets). I don't know how accurate he is going to be if he isn't throwing to big athletic targets like Ross and Higgins. Is Lawrence a 1st rounder? Yes, no doubt. But he's not a Luck level prospect

I'm not a draft expert but try to watch as much CFB as possible every year. I completely agree with all of this. I remember watching Luck and thinking, no matter where he goes he'll be the tide to lift all boats. Don't get that vibe from Lawrence. And I've gone out of my way to watch as much Clemson ball as I can.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   Miami has a very good chance of winning that game.   This Clemson team is very inexperienced on the O-line and D-line.  They haven’t been able to run the ball effectively and the pass protection is spotty.   Miami’s strength on their defensive front matches up really well against Clemson’s biggest weakness.   The WR group isn’t what it has been in years past.   

We will get a good look at Trevor under pressure on Saturday night.  He’s going to need to make faster decisions and come off of his first read and dump it off if it’s not there immediately.  Hopefully the coaching staff gives him those options, at times the play calling seems odd to me.   I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Miami wins this game.  

I think I remember you saying during the offseason or even as early as last offseason that you preferred Darnold to Lawrence as a prospect when each came/comes out. 

If that was you, do you still feel that way? I agreed at the time, and kind of still do today. Obviously we've seen what happens to Darnold when he doesn't go to a good situation, and I fear the same in Lawrence. He's not good enough on his own to come in and carry an offense. 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I think I remember you saying during the offseason or even as early as last offseason that you preferred Darnold to Lawrence as a prospect when each came/comes out. 

If that was you, do you still feel that way? I agreed at the time, and kind of still do today. Obviously we've seen what happens to Darnold when he doesn't go to a good situation, and I fear the same in Lawrence. He's not good enough on his own to come in and carry an offense. 

I did.  I think Sam was a really good prospect when he came out of school.   Sadly, the Jets have failed him and his “development” has been an abysmal failure.   I don’t care who you bring in or draft, unless there is a real plan to build an offense around the next guy we will be having this discussion in another 4 years.   I don’t know how far gone Sam is right now, but he’s lost his aggressiveness and is more concerned with not making a mistake than he is making a play.   It will take a really good coach and some legit talent here to see if he’s truly lost.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I did.  I think Sam was a really good prospect when he came out of school.   Sadly, the Jets have failed him and his “development” has been an abysmal failure.   I don’t care who you bring in or draft, unless there is a real plan to build an offense around the next guy we will be having this discussion in another 4 years.   I don’t know how far gone Sam is right now, but he’s lost his aggressiveness and is more concerned with not making a mistake than he is making a play.   It will take a really good coach and some legit talent here to see if he’s truly lost.  

Wholeheartedly agree. When I watched Sam's college games (admittedly after he was drafted), I fell in love with the fact that he was a football player playing QB. Doesn't feel like that to me watching Lawrence.

Still, there is something so be said for pedigree and reps, and the one thing that Lawrence has going for him is that he's been a number 1 prospect since HS and has had thousands more reps in practice and live situations with people who's only goal is to ensure he lives up to that hype. As much as I'm not sold on Lawrence currently, it's very had to discount that aspect because I think that raises his floor tremendously. So while he might have trouble similar to Sam if he doesn't go to the right situation, he won't bust out quite as hard as Sam has. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JiF said:

omg dude stop commenting and please watch the tape is provide in the thread.  Lawrence made numerous mistakes. He was miserable on the day.  OSU literally dropped multiple INT's.  2 that were thrown directly to a defender that he did not see.  

If you're going to just throw away Fields entire season and say he makes bad decisions because of 1 game, then why are you not talking about how Lawrence put up the most embarrassing championship performance possibly in the history of the NCAA?

You're being a bit ridiculous and if the Jets have the number 1 pick no way in hell its going to be Fields over Lawrence that being said no way in hell will anyone pick Fields over Lawrence.

I watched the tape, and not just this tape, we agreed to disagree, Head to Head Lawrence won Fields Lost and Lawrence though under intense pressure the entire game still played error free football Fields did not. That's a small sample of what you might get in the NFL..... not beating up on inferior schools. 

I don't care what either guy did during the year because big programs almost always have QB's with inflated stats. In the big game that's where you focus. If you disagree with that I'm fine with it we can wait until the draft and see who is rated higher. And even then you may be right I may be right or we may both be dead wrong as we have seen so many times the past few years.

We may also both be right and both guys do well in the NFL lets just hope the Jets get the right one.

Justin Fields

Decent processor

Smart player

Compact delivery and mechanics

Good short range accuracy

Arm looks a bit mediocre, his deep ball really hangs as do his throws to the opposite sideline

Slow release

Keeps cool in the pocket

He’s mobile, but don’t expect Lamar Jackson either. I think Lawrence is just as athletic as Fields

He has good vision as a runner

There are a good 3-4 passes in the Clemson game that should have been picked, so even if you don't want to blame the actual INTs on Fields, there were other throws that should have been picked that were completely on him

Keeps his eyes downfield when he scrambles

High floor player with a low ceiling as a passer. He’s a sturdier, more mobile Teddy Bridgewater. I think Fields is going to be limited to west coast offenses and will struggle in systems where he is asked to make difficult throws

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Justin Fields

Decent processor

Smart player

Compact delivery and mechanics

Good short range accuracy

Arm looks a bit mediocre, his deep ball really hangs as do his throws to the opposite sideline

Slow release

Keeps cool in the pocket

He’s mobile, but don’t expect Lamar Jackson either. I think Lawrence is just as athletic as Fields

He has good vision as a runner

There are a good 3-4 passes in the Clemson game that should have been picked, so even if you don't want to blame the actual INTs on Fields, there were other throws that should have been picked that were completely on him

Keeps his eyes downfield when he scrambles

High floor player with a low ceiling as a passer. He’s a sturdier, more mobile Teddy Bridgewater. I think Fields is going to be limited to west coast offenses and will struggle in systems where he is asked to make difficult throws

Good write up.   For me, Fields will have to show that his athleticism is much better than Trevors to be considered the clear cut better prospect.   Based on what I’ve seen thus far I don’t think it is.   That could change.   

This year will be a good eval for Trevor though.  He is playing with the least experience around him since he got here.   He doesn’t have the alpha at WR and the O-line only returned 1 starter.  There is also 2 years worth of tape out there, and defenses are trying to take away the outside WRs and force Trevor to come off those reads and find the TE or slot receiver.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I don’t think Sam is too far gone at all. He’s still so young and has a good mental capability to move on from bad plays/games....and hopefully for his sake season-long experiences.

I don’t think we should move on from Sam...unless we have #1 TREVOR pick. He’s just a rare prospect that you can’t pass up if you’re in a position to get him without trading up.

I think Sam is a better prospect than Fields, and with the right coaching staff and team here, Sam can reach his potential.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don’t think Sam is too far gone at all. He’s still so young and has a good mental capability to move on from bad plays/games....and hopefully for his sake season-long experiences.

I don’t think we should move on from Sam...unless we have #1 TREVOR pick. He’s just a rare prospect that you can’t pass up if you’re in a position to get him without trading up.

I think Sam is a better prospect than Fields, and with the right coaching staff and team here, Sam can reach his potential.

Sam is still the second youngest starting QB in the league, there is no way he is too far gone. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Sam is still the second youngest starting QB in the league, there is no way he is too far gone. 

I just hope he doesn’t get David Carr’s. We need the right HC  and some playmakers next year, regardless if we have Sam or Trevor or Ken O’Brien or Santa Claus

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I just hope he doesn’t get David Carr’s. We need the right HC  and some playmakers next year, regardless if we have Sam or Trevor or Ken O’Brien or Santa Claus

I think Sam can still resurrect his career.  But he is a mess back there this year.  He needs start over with a good coaching staff in an organization that knows how to support a young QB.  Unfortunately we are not that organization.  It is criminal the way this organization has handled him. I do think there are parallels to Carr.  I ws a big supporter of his heading into the season.  But regardless of the reasons, he is a mess in the pocket this year.  Bad footwork, bad mechanics, bad decision making, bad vision.  I really think he needs to go somewhere else as a back up and look to rebuild his career.  I don't see it happens here.

Unless there is a dramatic turnaround over the rest of the season.  I really think it is time to hit the reset button.  For both the team and the player.  I am not sure it is ever going to happen for him here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1