Why does the offensive line still stink? Except Becton

Alka

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

McGovern truly has been terrible. It is, in my view, JD's greatest failure. But, McGovern did grade out well as a C last season. Perhaps he is being dragged down by Van Roten's truly horrific play directly next to him. Regardless, the Jets need to overhaul the interior line. I am hopeful they draft a C in the first 2 rounds.

They both stink. Against the Bills we also had Josh Andrews. Three turnstiles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SOJ said:

Four of the Jets’ five starters are in the top-10 in pressures and quarterback hits allowed at their respective positions. Tackle George Fant is tied for eighth in hits and ninth in pressures, guards Alex Lewis and Greg Van Roten are tied for fourth in pressures and center Connor McGovern is first in pressures, hurries and hits, according to Pro Football Focus. Even backup lineman Josh Andrews hasn’t played well. He allowed nine pressures – two sacks, one hit and six hurries – against the Bills in Week 7.

I think this about sums it up... 

The Bills pressured Sam Darnold 25 times, sacked him six times and the Jets tallied their fewest yards this season – 190. Though the Jets somehow mustered 10 first-half points with Dowell Loggains calling plays, the offense only gained four total yards in the second half despite holding a lead or trailing by one score the entire period. 

Maybe if Darnold didn't hold onto the ball for an hour every snap he wouldn't take on so many pressures/hits.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe if Darnold didn't hold onto the ball for an hour every snap he wouldn't take on so many pressures/hits.

I guess I just don't see what you see.  Yes, there are times that Darnold holds the ball too long, but so many other times it appears to me that he has almost no time at all.  I think the offensive line stinks.  I think run blocking, we are okay, but not great, with the exception of Becton.

• Post of the Week 1

Not making excuses for Darnold but he is holding the ball too long for the same reason Joe Flacco held the ball too long.  We've all seen how our tight ends and our wide receivers have graded out this season. The qbs hold the ball too long because they are tired of throwing the ball away. They're trying to make something happen. A QB that makes the smart decision to throw the ball away when there is no one to throw to, will eventually loose his job if he has to keep throwing the ball away.

The sum of the craps parts  is much more crap than the crapiness of the individual parts.

It's the combination of a below average O line, below average wide receivers, below average tight ends and yes, below average performing qbs.

Add to this, a well below average non-adjusting game plan, it all combines to produce a zero win team that creates 4 years of offense in the second half of the buffalo game.

Usually a bad team has one or two aspects of it's game going for it. This creates opportunities to at least score occasionally.  Last year our bad team had Richie Anderson, this year we don't have anything redeemable. 

We have a promising  left tackle, an okay DT that does not play like the third pick in the 2019 draft and an okay punter.

• Post of the Week 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, Mogglez said:

E7309EA4-69BE-43B5-B83B-CDE98C386343.thumb.jpeg.994889a6cfc12ac3443f2ba89cf795d6.jpegA6C14B8D-EFFD-4FBC-AD1F-3A714147ED43.thumb.jpeg.c42c0ed0b1be4f3c6713be82d7bcd21b.jpeg
A3004182-60E6-4CC6-ADEE-672036E99592.jpeg.98572129e4a83debb02b181cb131ebb4.jpeg

For the final time, all the numbers say that Burrow is in a situation as bad as ours, and he’s doing just fine.  Address my other posts, shown above, with something other than your opinion/hurt feelings or stop responding to me, because I will be ignoring “hurt feelings” posts going forward.  I argued with one delusional brick wall that didn’t want to give Sam any blame last night, and I’m not doing it again. You’ve already gone back and started with the neg-repping because, evidently, you didn’t seem to enjoy seeing that other people were agreeing with facts/evidence, so I’ll gladly play the game of returning the favor if that is the path you want to go down as well.

im not sure any of your points prove your point. I thought i already addressed it, he has better receivers gameplans and talent surrounding him. I literally named all the players...AND we don't even have neg rep anymore I just thumbs downed your same argument you keep posting, because you don't seem to recognize that I literally am pointing out how you are wrong. Burrow has better offensive players and game plans. He is getting shots down the field to guys that can get open and we have Gase calling plays behind the line of scrimmage to players that wouldnt make the back up roster in CINN. 

I am just making a point that you are wrong. It doesn't hurt my feelings and shouldn't hurt yours, honestly i never understoodthe logic to get mad. Take the L and move on. We have less talented team but more talented QB. 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Life isn't fair.  Darnold isn't a child.  Work with what you have.

No one is saying we expect him to dominate.  But just not sh*tting himself on the field would be nice.  He's done that every single start this season and about half his starts in the 2 seasons prior.  

2019 6th round pick Gardner Minshew has a 34/11 TD:INT ratio after 19 starts (12 fewer than Darnold) in the league, with a dogsh*t team.  Jacksonville is still looking to move on from him.

Up your standards.

Sure ok..well that is not true, he has made mistakes but I think you could argue that he is just making the best of what he has to work with every week, and it such because he could do alot more with a modern offense, if everything goes according to how it is drawn up, we woudl still have bottom of the league results...todays NFL is about scoring points and big plays. Neither of which do we ahve plays for...famously said by Gases the other week - we dont have many of those plays..

On 10/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

All of Darnold's "highlights" in his career are from him playing backyard ball.  That isn't sustainable in the NFL.  You need consistent pocket passing and technically sound play.  The "boring stuff" is what a QB needs to get right. 

Darnold doesn't have it.  And he never will.

Its not boring to throw TD's and get first down all game. Boring is 4 yards in a half and what everyone agree's is terrible...i.e. play calling....

On 10/26/2020 at 10:25 PM, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, his points were valid.

Some of you guys seem to think we can take the next great prospect put him on the current jets and he will do well.  Utter balderdash.  Gase is a worse coach than 90% of the college coaches out there and the jets have 'The citadel ' level of talent on offense.

It can simultaneously be true that the supporting cast must improve to facilitate the development of a blue chip prospect and that Sam Darnold is highly unlikely to be the answer at QB.

You take Lawrence and build up the offense both in FA/draft. You also pick up a solid placeholder QB who Lawrence is in actual competition with. Most likely the vet should be at the level where you think he has a good shot to keep Lawrence on the bench. You then sit Trevor for a year or until he is showing out better in practice and go from there. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Lol. No enlightenment here.

First off, You do understand that there's pre-snap reads and post-snap reads? Of course you don't. If Darnold doesn't pre-snap read, which he doesn't, that slows down his post snap read and progression because he is behind, which also is why things are moving fast for him and causes him to see ghost. Also his inability to pre snap read makes the O-line look worse than what it is because it takes him more time to get rid of the ball...which is why Buffalo came out in the second half and just blitz the hell out of him because they saw what I see.

Second off, I don't recall anyone talking about all this Bengal talent last year or this year that you just named off. 

Third off, you can't watch post game highlights and become an expert analyst. If you don't have the NFL ticket or something similar that gives you access to all the games live, you really can't commit because highlights just shows what they want you to see. You can't learn a team or player by watching that. I have the NFL ticket mainly to watch the Jets because I live out of market but I also watch and study other teams and I watch Burrow and I can say based off what I'm seeing in live game and not some ESPN highlight that dude is the real deal. He reads pre and post snap so he already knows where to throw the ball when getting blitz. He's already figured out that throwing the ball away is an option when everyone is covered, unlike Darnold who just throws it into double and triple coverage if a man isn't open.

lol great post. Im serious this is one of my all time favorite ever. And I don't knock anyone for disagreeing with me, i just like the converstiaon to move forward and can;t just repeatall the same stuff over and over. Just because you say something twice it still means the same thing right or wrong. And the idea that darnold isn't terrible seems to make some go insane especially if there are secret downlow Bengals fans. but as for your ...um ..."points"

first -  your not talking about the same thing we were. It is kind of funny that Gase system doesn't make use of commonly used presnap read concepts/audibles that manning made famous. In your attempt to knock me you kind of just showed you didn't really pay attention. 

second - are you kidding? they weren't talking about Mixon or their talented WRs? Well here you go again. I'm not sure how you missed the excitement about the WR's or Mixon talent. I mean you don't have to be even a casual fan to have heard about the excitement. The offense is very talented and again a point i made before, our starting WR wouldn't make it as a back up there.

third, now this was the one where you really felt you hit your groove, bravo man.

You say i can't be an expert analyst by watching sunday highlights (I didn't know I was in the running to be an expert analysis btw I hope I win.), if you don't have sunday ticket, which you do (convenient) and are an "expert".  At this point i was really looking forward to your analysis.

You then literally with your expert opinion made my whole argument for me, that the system in cinn gives Burrow a much easier time to make plays. Kind of crazy this full circle stuff that just happened huh? lol good job!

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

im not sure any of your points prove your point. I thought i already addressed it, he has better receivers gameplans and talent surrounding him. I literally named all the players...AND we don't even have neg rep anymore I just thumbs downed your same argument you keep posting, because you don't seem to recognize that I literally am pointing out how you are wrong. Burrow has better offensive players and game plans. He is getting shots down the field to guys that can get open and we have Gase calling plays behind the line of scrimmage to players that wouldnt make the back up roster in CINN. 

I am just making a point that you are wrong. It doesn't hurt my feelings and shouldn't hurt yours, honestly i never understoodthe logic to get mad. Take the L and move on. We have less talented team but more talented QB. 

I’m not wrong.  You are.  I have numbers, film, statistics, etc. that prove me right.  You don’t.  You just have your opinion.  Numbers and evidence say that Burrow is light years better than Sam in every single way.  Again, respond with proof that I’m wrong or don’t respond again because I’m not interested in your opinion at all.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Its not boring to throw TD's and get first down all game. Boring is 4 yards in a half and what everyone agree's is terrible...i.e. play calling....

But he doesn't throw a lot of TDs and first downs.  Even at his best he hasn't done that.  He only has 3 games in his career where he threw for 3+ TDs in a game.  In the NFL in 2020, that's absolutely pathetic.  Justin Herbert already has 3 games like that as a rookie, in 5 starts.

I don't care who you're throwing to.  Blake freaking Bortles once had a 35 TD season.  Darnold only has 39 for his career.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But he doesn't throw a lot of TDs and first downs.  Even at his best he hasn't done that.  He only has 3 games in his career where he threw for 3+ TDs in a game.  In the NFL in 2020, that's absolutely pathetic.  Justin Herbert already has 3 games like that as a rookie, in 5 starts.

I don't care who you're throwing to.  Blake freaking Bortles once had a 35 TD season.  Darnold only has 39 for his career.

I agree with you ...just making point that we need better playcalling...but I think you said this elsewhere it is what it is...and even if not fair Sam might have to pay for Gase playcalling...he is capable to having those games of lots of TD's etc but under gase he will never have it and if we get number 1 overall - the org might move on even if it is not his fault....Sam i think if he goes to any team not coached by gase or nagy will probably be very good.

With the exception of Lewis, the Oline is very different. Joe Douglas swapped out 4 guys. Why is the quarterback getting pressured on every single play? During the first quarter of this game against the Chiefs I think they said Darnold was the third most pressured quarterback in the NFL so far. 

On 10/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

first -  your not talking about the same thing we were. It is kind of funny that Gase system doesn't make use of commonly used presnap read concepts/audibles that manning made famous. In your attempt to knock me you kind of just showed you didn't really pay attention. 

Ok, this part was so dumb ass that I'm not even gonna bother reading the rest of the nonsense that you posted. So Manning invented presnap reads? Seriously? 

4 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Ok, this part was so dumb ass that I'm not even gonna bother reading the rest of the nonsense that you posted. So Manning invented presnap reads? Seriously? 

? Not sure how you can't understand it.

He used them in his system. The one Gase takes credit for. it would help Sam out alot. We should try it a bit.