Why does the offensive line still stink? Except Becton

Alka

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

What a crock of sh*t.  Come back to me when there is tangible evidence that Burrow doesn’t actually have an awful offensive line (as of today it is worse than Sam’s), coaching (as bad or, at least, on par with Gase’s), etc.  Only then can you can reply back to me.  If you wanna just wrap yourself up in a Sam Darnold blanket and tell yourself that he’s the absolute bestest and it is everyone else’s fault that he sucks, don’t reply.  Only one of us playing make believe, and it isn’t the one that has broken down numbers, statistics, film of Sam missing WRs and blitz pickups, etc., to prove their point.

Finally, Mark Sanchez made great throws too.  So did Geno Smith.  The good ones make them consistently.  They don’t throw across their body, off their back foot, rolling to the opposite direction, into triple coverage, when there is a wide open receiver in their face for an easy touchdown.  So yeah, unless he’s doing it routinely, you can throw out Sam’s good throws because, more often than not,  he’s making bad throws, reads, and decisions.  Also, if you truly believe Burrow hasn’t made good-great throws this season, you don’t have two functioning eyeballs.

right so you're saying gase coaching is on par with CINN - not sure many would agree, due to you know state and points scored, wins, how the team has played etc.

I dont think he is "bestest" but i do believe is more talented as a Qb and playing under the hopeless gase system I think proves it, another qb say burrow doesn't have the capability to make some of these throws or get out of trouble like Darnold has been able to thus far in his career.

yeah our WR , TE stats like yards, TD's etc all seem to point to they stink, but really its the why that is important  - the why is they can't get open.

I watch Burrow all season, and he has made great plays and throws but I was merely pointing out that Sam has better much tougher throws with less talented players around him, worse play calling, a feat that should be impossible. I mean its amazing what he has been able to do while shackled by Gase.

You seem to be upset by this but Burrow simply has not shown the ability to overcome anything close to what Darnold has had to deal with in his career and simply stating the fact that he has had it much easier isnt a knock on you or him. BUt dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining. If darnold had the cupcake schedule with all the talent in the world around him he would be great, if Burrow was a Jet he would be out of the league. . 

• Thumb Down 1

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No. He actually doesn’t, but “keep playing make believe”, as you said.

CDDC75EC-A2B7-40D0-98C1-F8ABFF106818.jpeg.4dedd17a3ea954d4e7e0a424406e90a2.jpeg

The fact you think that these plays are the total of Darnold ability is not surprising to me, aside from discounting the two years of game under gase and the development he showed his rookie year, your making the argument with out consideration to all the factors that go in to these plays.  And really my opinion of just pointing out the fact that despite all these hurdles that darnold has to deal with that makes it almost impossible to succeed on any single play, he is able to overcome and show flashes of greatness, and definitely show play of what you want to see in a QB. But I will be first to stand up and say that stuff like above should and would be easily corrected in a NFL qualtiy system by a NFL quality coaching staff, neither of which do we have at the moment. 

• Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also not an example, because he sucked after Cleveland too. 

He also only had a 428 QBASE score coming out of school.  Not terrible but not great either.  Very far from "can't miss".  And I don't recall too many people calling him "can't miss" at the time, either. 

If you're talking "can't miss" guys who busted or disappointed, you need to be listing off the likes of Carson Palmer, RG3 and Byron Leftwich.  Those were prospects on  a completely different level compared to Couch. 

But again, those guys don't qualify for what you're trying to establish:  That QB's can be "ruined" by being on bad teams.  There are zero actual instances of this in NFL history.  Literally zero.  And the only example of a QB who sucked with his first team then went on to success elsewhere is Steve Young.  That's an eternity ago when you compare the NFL then to now.  It might as well have been a completely different sport in the mid-late 80s.  Not even Ryan Tannehill qualifies, because he actually wasn't bad in Miami.  He didn't suck there.

Bad QB's who start out bad end up bad.  It's very simple.

The alternative to Darbold in the jets case of being a good talented QB on a terrible team in a terrible scheme is one that we see consistantly through the history of the NFL

A Qb on a bad team in a good or bad scheme …i think couch might have been bad in bad situation.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, what?  So you won't even admit Darnold is even part of the problem?

Have a good day.  

only if you mean part of the problem meaning he is a qb that never got the help he needed to succeed. I mean how you knock a guy for not being a great qb when you dont even give him a shot to become one. its criminal what we have done to Darnold. I think pretty much every one would agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

21 hours ago, Alka said:

Didn't Joe Douglas spend lots of money in free agency on upgrading the offensive line?  Why, in the second half against the Bills, did Darnold not have time to throw the ball?  It seemed like he had 1 second before multiple players from the Bills defensive line were in Darnold's face.

I mean, outside of getting a top 10 draft pick on the offensive line, "Are the Jets not capable of recognizing competent players for the offensive line?"

Why hasn't Clark gotten a chance to play?  Is Van Roten that much better than Clark?  

I am lost for words.  I feel like if Darnold got more time yesterday, the Jets might actually have been able to win the game.  Darnold had no chance in the second half, and in my opinion, that was not his fault.

I see 2 reasons when I'm examining this.....

1) Coaching is horrible. When you get competent people in here things will change. Right now it's all garbage.

2) JD shopped on the bargain racks. When you're shopping for OL, you get what you pay for. The very second Douglas added those hacks I knew they were going to suck and I mentioned it then. I said then that Douglas ' signings were gambles. There wasn't a single player that was in fact gamble free. Everything from poor play to injury concerns. Not a single player had an established season of good play. 

It's obvious Douglas thought he found diamonds in the rough. He was hoping for a big surprise. Instead, he got what he paid for. 

However, he got cheap with the OL because he was saving for this offseason? There's got to be a decent reason as to why he was so cheap attempting to fix an enormous area of neglect? My thinking is he thinks this off-season there's a much better crop of FA's? That's all I can come up with? 

But I can say with certainty that I knew this OL was destined for failure. I was never a fan of the moves and I voiced my disapproval all along.

The silver lining, however, is that all of these contracts are short term. Allowing Douglas to move on after this season. All of the newly added players in FA are simply NOT good enough to continue on. At best, some of these guys could remain as depth, but none of them are good enough to be starters.

My feeling is Douglas attempted to gamble and he got burned. But I love the drafting of Becton and he represents a great player to build around.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

only if you mean part of the problem meaning he is a qb that never got the help he needed to succeed. I mean how you knock a guy for not being a great qb when you dont even give him a shot to become one. its criminal what we have done to Darnold. I think pretty much every one would agree.

Life isn't fair.  Darnold isn't a child.  Work with what you have.

No one is saying we expect him to dominate.  But just not sh*tting himself on the field would be nice.  He's done that every single start this season and about half his starts in the 2 seasons prior.  

2019 6th round pick Gardner Minshew has a 34/11 TD:INT ratio after 19 starts (12 fewer than Darnold) in the league, with a dogsh*t team.  Jacksonville is still looking to move on from him.

Up your standards.

• Post of the Week 1

The alternative to Darbold in the jets case of being a good talented QB on a terrible team in a terrible scheme is one that we see consistantly through the history of the NFL

A Qb on a bad team in a good or bad scheme …i think couch might have been bad in bad situation.

Good QB's produce.  Bad ones don't.  It's pretty simple.  There isn't one real instance in the history of the league of a good QB being ruined by a bad team.  Not one.

Much like Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith, Darnold isn't suddenly going to look like a good QB at his next stop.  He'll be out of the league by the time he's 28-29, after a few teams give him a shot.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is saying we expect him to dominate.  But just not sh*tting himself on the field would be nice.  He's done that every single start this season and about half his starts in the 2 seasons prior.  

2019 6th round pick Gardner Minshew has a 34/11 TD:INT ratio after 19 starts (12 fewer than Darnold) in the league, with a dogsh*t team.  Jacksonville is still looking to move on from him.

Up your standards.

We've seen the good the bad and the ugly of Sam Darnold. 

Why not see what we have in Mike White,David Fales or James Morgan. 

• Upvote 1

right so you're saying gase coaching is on par with CINN - not sure many would agree, due to you know state and points scored, wins, how the team has played etc.

I dont think he is "bestest" but i do believe is more talented as a Qb and playing under the hopeless gase system I think proves it, another qb say burrow doesn't have the capability to make some of these throws or get out of trouble like Darnold has been able to thus far in his career.

yeah our WR , TE stats like yards, TD's etc all seem to point to they stink, but really its the why that is important  - the why is they can't get open.

I watch Burrow all season, and he has made great plays and throws but I was merely pointing out that Sam has better much tougher throws with less talented players around him, worse play calling, a feat that should be impossible. I mean its amazing what he has been able to do while shackled by Gase.

You seem to be upset by this but Burrow simply has not shown the ability to overcome anything close to what Darnold has had to deal with in his career and simply stating the fact that he has had it much easier isnt a knock on you or him. BUt dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining. If darnold had the cupcake schedule with all the talent in the world around him he would be great, if Burrow was a Jet he would be out of the league. . 

E7309EA4-69BE-43B5-B83B-CDE98C386343.thumb.jpeg.994889a6cfc12ac3443f2ba89cf795d6.jpegA6C14B8D-EFFD-4FBC-AD1F-3A714147ED43.thumb.jpeg.c42c0ed0b1be4f3c6713be82d7bcd21b.jpeg
A3004182-60E6-4CC6-ADEE-672036E99592.jpeg.98572129e4a83debb02b181cb131ebb4.jpeg

For the final time, all the numbers say that Burrow is in a situation as bad as ours, and he’s doing just fine.  Address my other posts, shown above, with something other than your opinion/hurt feelings or stop responding to me, because I will be ignoring “hurt feelings” posts going forward.  I argued with one delusional brick wall that didn’t want to give Sam any blame last night, and I’m not doing it again. You’ve already gone back and started with the neg-repping because, evidently, you didn’t seem to enjoy seeing that other people were agreeing with facts/evidence, so I’ll gladly play the game of returning the favor if that is the path you want to go down as well.

• Upvote 1

The fact you think that these plays are the total of Darnold ability is not surprising to me

All of Darnold's "highlights" in his career are from him playing backyard ball.  That isn't sustainable in the NFL.  You need consistent pocket passing and technically sound play.  The "boring stuff" is what a QB needs to get right. 

Darnold doesn't have it.  And he never will.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Up your standards.

Minshew is an excellent example.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

These f*cking people man.  2 different posters are seriously trying to hold the corpse of AJ Green against Burrow in this argument.  I actually can’t deal with it.

Don't let them get to you.  Take pity on them.  They know not what they do. 

They're so desperate for a QB savior they try to make something happen that just isn't there.  

4k2tuz.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure, but these are his guys.  They were supposed to be zone guys - that's what I heard all off-season.  JD knows what he's doing, he moved on from our sh*tty guys to bring in other sh*tty guys - but he knows what he's doing because they're better for Gase's system.  

You're suggesting the system is the problem. I'm suggesting the players are the problem.  

Zone blocking is not some out-there concept or an avant-garde system.  It's pretty standard, teams win with it.  The system isn't the problem.  The players we have are.

You need good players to win.

You misunderstood my OP but you make some valid points here. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They're so desperate for a QB savior they try to make something happen that just isn't there.  

4k2tuz.jpg

Not saying tbis to bust your chops. Like your posts. What was your,and others opinion of Robby. As a receiver. Im wrong as much or more than im right. If you and others are wrong in your assessment of Darnold,then we blew a chance with hordes of picks to transform this team. Please consider that

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Not saying tbis to bust your chops. Like your posts. What was your,and others opinion of Robby. As a receiver. Im wrong as much or more than im right. If you and others are wrong in your assessment of Darnold,then we blew a chance with hordes of picks to transform this team. Please consider that

I'm glad for Robby Anderson that he got away from this HC and QB.  He wouldn't be producing here.  He'd be putting up the same (or worse) numbers as he did the years prior.  He's producing in Carolina, and will be able to "double dip" on a sizably bigger contract in 2022.  Anderson made the right call taking a little less money to play for his old college coach.

Unless that WR is Jerry Rice, Randy Moss or peak Calvin Johnson, WR's don't make the QB.  QB's (and to a lesser extent the system) make the WR.  

No amount of draft capital or FA dollars spent on offense was, or will, "fix" Sam Darnold.  He was a flawed prospect when he arrived and remains a highly flawed QB in year 3.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm glad Robby got away from this HC and QB.  He wouldn't be producing here.  He'd be putting up the same (or worse) numbers as he did the years prior.  He's producing in Carolina, and will be able to "double dip" on a sizably bigger contract in 2022.  Anderson made the right call taking a little less money to play for his old college coach.

Unless that WR is Jerry Rice, Randy Moss or peak Calvin Johnson, WR's don't make the QB.  QB's (and to a lesser extent the system) make the WR.  

No amount of draft capital or FA dollars spent on offense was, or will, "fix" Sam Darnold.  He was a flawed prospect when he arrived and remains a highly flawed QB in year 3.

Your too sure of yourself. You could be right. You could be wrong. If your wrong,then we screwed up again. Im not knocking yours or anybody else's football IQ. When you consider bow many front office professionals have been wrong in their assessments, then maybe you'll acknowledge that you can be wrong. Im not disputing anything you and sperm,and others have said about Darniolds flaws. He's in his 3rd year with a bad coach and awful o-line. Can he turn it around with more stable offense and better coaching? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

24 minutes ago, genot said:

Your too sure of yourself. You could be right. You could be wrong. If your wrong,then we screwed up again. Im not knocking yours or anybody else's football IQ. When you consider bow many front office professionals have been wrong in their assessments, then maybe you'll acknowledge that you can be wrong. Im not disputing anything you and sperm,and others have said about Darniolds flaws. He's in his 3rd year with a bad coach and awful o-line. Can he turn it around with more stable offense and better coaching? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

I thought Darnold could be the guy up until this year.  He was my # 1 QB in the 2018 class.  It's far better to move on from a QB right away than to wait too long.  The Cardinals only needed 1 season (13 starts) to move on from Rosen.  That worked out well.  

I can't think of any examples where a team moved on from a QB too soon outside of, perhaps, Miami with Tannehill.  If that's the worst thing that can happen to us, I'm cool with it.  Tannehill was OK with Miami, and is now solid but not elite with Tennessee, and is not a QB you can win a title with.  

Meanwhile, there are dozens upon dozens of examples where a team moved on from a QB quickly and it never came back to bite them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

simply not true. Darnold reads progressions, you literally can see it during plays. Our plays just take obscenely long to develop and the WR are not good enough to get separation even if Darnold gets the massive amount of time needed to let them get in position. 

I mean this is basic Pee wee football stuff. ok not pee wee but high school ball concepts. OBVIOUS

Are you serious about talent hmm lets see mixon, Gio for RB. both better than what we have and used properly in that offense to get them the ball.

On receiving they have old man Green, Boyd, Higgins hell even sample...even their back dude whats his name aiden Tate? that dude is better than berrios. And dont forget his line is much better as well.

So consider your self enlightened. 

Lol. No enlightenment here.

First off, You do understand that there's pre-snap reads and post-snap reads? Of course you don't. If Darnold doesn't pre-snap read, which he doesn't, that slows down his post snap read and progression because he is behind, which also is why things are moving fast for him and causes him to see ghost. Also his inability to pre snap read makes the O-line look worse than what it is because it takes him more time to get rid of the ball...which is why Buffalo came out in the second half and just blitz the hell out of him because they saw what I see.

Second off, I don't recall anyone talking about all this Bengal talent last year or this year that you just named off. 

Third off, you can't watch post game highlights and become an expert analyst. If you don't have the NFL ticket or something similar that gives you access to all the games live, you really can't commit because highlights just shows what they want you to see. You can't learn a team or player by watching that. I have the NFL ticket mainly to watch the Jets because I live out of market but I also watch and study other teams and I watch Burrow and I can say based off what I'm seeing in live game and not some ESPN highlight that dude is the real deal. He reads pre and post snap so he already knows where to throw the ball when getting blitz. He's already figured out that throwing the ball away is an option when everyone is covered, unlike Darnold who just throws it into double and triple coverage if a man isn't open.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I thought Darnold could be the guy up until this year.  He was my # 1 QB in the 2018 class.  It's far better to move on from a QB right away than to wait too long.  The Cardinals only needed 1 season (13 starts) to move on from Rosen.  That worked out well.  

I can't think of any examples where a team moved on from a QB too soon outside of, perhaps, Miami with Tannehill.  If that's the worst thing that can happen to us, I'm cool with it.  Tannehill was OK with Miami, and is now solid but not elite with Tennessee, and is not a QB you can win a title with.  

Meanwhile, there are dozens upon dozens of examples where a team moved on from a QB quickly and it never came back to bite them.

We went from Sanchez to Geno. Geno to Darnold. Only in Jet land. Trading out of the first would be like you walking into the playboy mansion with a bottle of viagra and only the females being there. It. Would be draft heaven. Our line would be fixed,we'd have a chance at a quality pass rusher,and corner,all in the top three rounds with more picks to play with. Not to mention extracting a quality player we ask for in a trade down. One more year with Sam

5 minutes ago, genot said:

We went from Sanchez to Geno. Geno to Darnold. Only in Jet land. Trading out of the first would be like you walking into the playboy mansion with a bottle of viagra and only the females being there. It. Would be draft heaven. Our line would be fixed,we'd have a chance at a quality pass rusher,and corner,all in the top three rounds with more picks to play with. Not to mention extracting a quality player we ask for in a trade down. One more year with Sam

And all 3 of those QB's suck.  Not one of them was gotten rid of "too soon".  And your argument, to continue to build around Darnold for 1 more year with a plethora of picks, would be like putting a world class car engine inside of a '96 Honda Civic.  Darnold has not earned that, nor will he take advantage of it.

Darnold has had 31 starts here, with 9 games left.  That's more than enough opportunities for him to present his case. 

Giving him 1 more year would be just plain silly.  Especially since, in that scenario, we'd be letting him walk as a free agent and getting nothing back.  

Thankfully, I'm confident Douglas will NOT be giving Darnold the 2021 season.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And all 3 of those QB's suck.  Not one of them was gotten rid of "too soon".  And your argument, to continue to build around Darnold for 1 more year with a plethora of picks, would be like putting a world class car engine inside of a '96 Honda Civic.  Darnold has not earned that, nor will he take advantage of it.

Darnold has had 31 starts here, with 9 games left.  That's more than enough opportunities for him to present his case. 

Giving him 1 more year would be just plain silly.  Especially since, in that scenario, we'd be letting him walk as a free agent and getting nothing back.  

Thankfully, I'm confident Douglas will NOT be giving Darnold the 2021 season.  

Okay. Lets see how this all plays out. Nine games to go. Lots more time to see if things change. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4k2tuz.jpg

And you guys were saying Robby could only run in a straight line.  And then he left Adam Gase.

10 hours ago, genot said:

Couch sucked after he left Cleveland because of injuries. Shoulder and elbow tears. Probably because the beating he took for the Browns Sacked 166 times in 62 games.

I wonder how this is a valid excuse for guys like Tim Couch and Derek Car but not for Sam Darnold who was better his first 2 years 

The QB plays a big part in the success of the blocking from pre-snap recognition and blocking assignments, understanding hot routes, and recognizing when you must be ready to get the ball out fast. Much of what I have seen is not so much our OL being overpowered due to bad players but defenders who just come right through clean because no one is blocking them. A zone blocking scheme needs a really intelligent QB and a top notch center to make the calls. We have neither.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 10/26/2020 at 8:36 PM, FidelioJet said:

Jet fans were fooled into thinking because JD brought in a new OL it would be better.

Once again, anyone paying attention knew that not to be the case.

Other team’s back-ups were never going to become starter level players just because they were on the Jets.

New doesn’t mean better!

Of any position , overhauling an Oline takes time. Guys need to get reps together to form the cohesion an Oline group needs. Replacing all of starters in a year where live practices and pre season was limited due to covid impacted the overall plan. Lets give JD and the Oline a little more time here before we write them off. 

On 10/26/2020 at 9:22 PM, UnknownJetFan said:

So, Lawrence with the 1st pick and hopefully a top center with the 1st rounder we got from the Hawks.

Looks like we'll have a late first and if we pick 1st, the top pick in the second round. That's essentially 3 first round picks. We can go center and WR, depending on the situation. Seattle could actually end up 3rd in their own division if they aren't careful. The Cardinals, Rams and Niners are playing well and could push them down. If anything happens to Wilson or his weapons they would be in trouble because of how good their division is. Oh yeah, and Jamal hasn't made much of a difference in their secondary. :) 

15 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Lol. No enlightenment here.

First off, You do understand that there's pre-snap reads and post-snap reads? Of course you don't. If Darnold doesn't pre-snap read, which he doesn't, that slows down his post snap read and progression because he is behind, which also is why things are moving fast for him and causes him to see ghost. Also his inability to pre snap read makes the O-line look worse than what it is because it takes him more time to get rid of the ball...which is why Buffalo came out in the second half and just blitz the hell out of him because they saw what I see.

Seriously.  The line is adequate. Middle of the pack. But between the lack of pre snap reads, horrible blitz pick up by our RBs, Gase’s refusal to stretch the field, and Sam’s tendency to fold like a cheap suit under pressure, teams can tee off in the box and bring the house.

the OL isn’t great, but it’s not the problem.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Cameron Clark is back. I know that when the Jets drafted him the idea seemed to be to convert him to a G, but they consistently list him as a T. Anyone have any idea what is going on with his position. It certainly seems like the Jets could use someone with his athletic ability and tenacity at G. 

They should bring back Harrison and move Mcgovern to guard. That's where he played most of the time at Penn State. He isn't doing a good job at all at center. He looks lost.

Four of the Jets’ five starters are in the top-10 in pressures and quarterback hits allowed at their respective positions. Tackle George Fant is tied for eighth in hits and ninth in pressures, guards Alex Lewis and Greg Van Roten are tied for fourth in pressures and center Connor McGovern is first in pressures, hurries and hits, according to Pro Football Focus. Even backup lineman Josh Andrews hasn’t played well. He allowed nine pressures – two sacks, one hit and six hurries – against the Bills in Week 7.

I think this about sums it up... 

The Bills pressured Sam Darnold 25 times, sacked him six times and the Jets tallied their fewest yards this season – 190. Though the Jets somehow mustered 10 first-half points with Dowell Loggains calling plays, the offense only gained four total yards in the second half despite holding a lead or trailing by one score the entire period. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

They should bring back Harrison and move Mcgovern to guard. That's where he played most of the time at Penn State. He isn't doing a good job at all at center. He looks lost.

McGovern truly has been terrible. It is, in my view, JD's greatest failure. But, McGovern did grade out well as a C last season. Perhaps he is being dragged down by Van Roten's truly horrific play directly next to him. Regardless, the Jets need to overhaul the interior line. I am hopeful they draft a C in the first 2 rounds.

38 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Four of the Jets’ five starters are in the top-10 in pressures and quarterback hits allowed at their respective positions. Tackle George Fant is tied for eighth in hits and ninth in pressures, guards Alex Lewis and Greg Van Roten are tied for fourth in pressures and center Connor McGovern is first in pressures, hurries and hits, according to Pro Football Focus. Even backup lineman Josh Andrews hasn’t played well. He allowed nine pressures – two sacks, one hit and six hurries – against the Bills in Week 7.

I think this about sums it up... 

The Bills pressured Sam Darnold 25 times, sacked him six times and the Jets tallied their fewest yards this season – 190. Though the Jets somehow mustered 10 first-half points with Dowell Loggains calling plays, the offense only gained four total yards in the second half despite holding a lead or trailing by one score the entire period. 

Cam Clark must be a bust if he can't win some playing time away from this crack squad of turnstiles  .