The 3 Faces of the NFL (according to Madison Avenue)

14 in Green

Marketing sets the tone. Once the ad guys decide who they're going to put their money behind to sell product to the national audience, that player grows his brand in a way football alone never will.

The players they choose for major marketing campaigns become the face of the NFL to casual sports fans (and those who don't follow sports). Look at Peyton Manning. He's beloved by people who never even saw him play, just because of how popular his ads are.

Right now the 3 players who they've chosen to put their money and influence behind are obvious.

Baker Mayfield

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes 

Surprisingly none of them play in big market towns, yet they've all been able to break onto the national scene due to their combination of talent, personality and likeability.

Who do you guys think will be the next big marketing star to come out of the NFL? Murray? Herbert? Tua? Or is it someone still in college?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Marketing sets the tone. Once the ad guys decide who they're going to put their money behind to sell product to the national audience, that player grows his brand in a way football alone never will.

The players they choose for major marketing campaigns become the face of the NFL to casual sports fans (and those who don't follow sports). Look at Peyton Manning. He's beloved by people who never even saw him play, just because of how popular his ads are.

Right now the 3 players who they've chosen to put their money and influence behind are obvious.

Baker Mayfield

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes 

Surprisingly none of them play in big market towns, yet they've all been able to break onto the national scene due to their combination of talent, personality and likeability.

Who do you guys think will be the next big marketing star to come out of the NFL? Murray? Herbert? Tua? Or is it someone still in college?

If Lawrence can play average it’s so him, never mind if he is as good as they say.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is arguably a good thing. 

What Ben McAdoo said seems to be sort of true - A lot of these big QBs are pricks.

You definitly need to be an alpha.

Just for you, I'll use Mayfield and Darnold as an example ?

Can you imagine Sam controlling a huddle with OBJ, Landry and the rest of that cast of characters demanding the ball? I can't

One of the reasons I gave up on Sam so soon was when that miserable excuse for an OL he had in '18 got mad when he bought them each a set of steak knives at the end of the season. They took the tires off his truck, slashed them and put the truck up on cement blocks and left it there.

Bad enough that showed how little they respect they had for him, the fact that he took that crap told me all I need to know about him.

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You sure that’s tea? 

Unfortunately, yes.

Somehow, despite living in a part of the country where they've perfected the art of making "sweet tea" I still haven't been able to break my 20 year addiction to Crystal Light, which seems to be nothing more than a bunch of chemicals and artificial flavoring mixed together to taste like the real thing.

I never have less than a half gallon in the fridge. I drink it all day every day...

I know you guys think otherwise regarding the NFL but Trevor Lawrence in New York bolstering the AFC East is GREAT for the NFL. Bradys gone & Buffalo is well, Buffalo. You have New York, Patriots in New England & Florida (Miami), Thats a lot of NFL eyeballs. Tampa is a flash in the pan once Brady hangs em up. 

Joe Douglas ain't no Mike Maccagnan, and I guarantee you if we land Lawrence he's gonna bring in some offensive studs to surround him with all the picks we have. 

We could easily have an offense featuring Allen Robinson, Denzel Mims, Jamison Crowder & Devonta Smith or Rondale Moore, plus a Najee Harris? I often hear everything about the marketing aspect of the player, but if the Jets get good with Trevor Lawrence as the face of the team, the NFL wins.

The Jets were hot in 2010, Rex was bombastic, Sanchez was doing GQ, we were competing with the most hated team in football in the Patriots. Everyone who I knew who wasn't a Pats fan wanted to see those match-ups because everyone wanted someone to kick the Patriots in the face. 

The Bart Scott CAN'T WAIT interview sound bite was everywhere! You had the Jet fan with the Sombrero always on camera, it was good times & good for the League. Be fun to get back to those days with confident Lawrence leading the way. Most people hate the Jets & if they're good, even better, than you add in the Redneck Tarzan factor & you create a can't miss National game moment. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

You definitly need to be an alpha.

Just for you, I'll use Mayfield and Darnold as an example ?

Can you imagine Sam controlling a huddle with OBJ, Landry and the rest of that cast of characters demanding the ball? I can't

One of the reasons I gave up on Sam so soon was when that miserable excuse for an OL he had in '18 got mad when he bought them each a set of steak knives at the end of the season. They took the tires off his truck, slashed them and put the truck up on cement blocks and left it there.

Bad enough that showed how little they respect they had for him, the fact that he took that crap told me all I need to know about him.

Did you see Sam on the sideline last Monday, wearing a medical mask pulled down under his nose (so it is basically useless)?  Not even a Jets mask?

I have liked Sam, but I think people overestimate his maturity.  Trevor Lawrence is engaged, involved in his church and with social activism.  Sam Darnold is getting mono in Morristown and not taking the mask thing seriously on National TV.  

He really needs to go to a team with a strong culture and infrastructure, like the Steelers.  We all need to move on.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Baker Mayfield

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes 

Its not really the 'ad guys', it's the corporations looking for brand ambassadors. Corporations want 'evangelists', or public figures that can raise awareness about their product/service by association. For the same reason, they sponsor various sporting events - tennis, golf, etc. 

You're more likely to have heard of state farm insurance if you've seen the commercial with Aaron rodgers. State farm automatically becomes that 'aaron rodgers' company. 

Peyton manning and papa johns are one and the same, as peyton manning acts as the voice and face of Papa johns (fun fact, he owns a number of PJ franchises). 

when seeking 'marketable' brand ambassadors or 'evangelists', corporations look for:

1. A combination of stage presence and extraordinary skill. Thousands of athletes have one or the other, but only a handful have both. you gotta be a stud athlete AND be good in front of the camera. No exceptions. 

2. Clean character, a good 'public' image. Companies like being represented by good role models. 

3. Good looks. no explanation needed. 

Here are the rookies that will be highly coveted by corporations (and their ad agencies):

1. Michael pittman jr.

He's good in front of a camera, already has a youtube channel with 300k subs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVWJ9FP2igQzxsLYPo_J25g

I'm sure he's got some good advice (and guidance) from his father, who was an ex NFL player. He's talented, and already landed his first ad campaign with Kay jewellers. Sky is the limit if he becomes an elite wide receiver. 

2. Chase claypool. 

He's also good in front of a camera, and like Pittman, has a youtube channel, albeit with only 88k subs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jHYYHouqUQq1KxoScNlGA

I like Claypool's profile a bit more than Pittman's, he's an absolute stud of an athlete, and having a fantastic rookie season. He's better looking, and just as well spoken.

Big bonus with claypool is his canadian nationality, i know canada is too close to be 'foreign', but access to a lucrative overseas market is an attractive proposition. It also creates a bigger fan-base for the NFL in canada, at least among younger canadians - who'll no doubt be told that claypool is Canada's greatest ever football player. 

Jay ajayi changed his accent from standard American to 'londoner', specifically for the purpose of exploiting his 'british heritage', it's not as if players aren't informed of lucrative opportunities outside the United states. 

3. Joe burrow.

I don't know if he can work a camera, but he's played on the big stage w/ LSU and has the 'looks'. He has the talent to match, and a bit of a personality, as seen in his cigar smoking antics. 

He's already had good advice from his agent/PR managers, who no doubt advised him to publicly 'tweet' a desire to 'help the poor, suffering black community' during the recent electoral campaigns/riots. This action would significantly increase his social media following, building his position as a 'role model', while distancing him from the 'uneducated white trash' background that certain media commenters routinely seized on as 'troublesome'. 

Burrow's strong public profile in the midwest and south will stand out to most corporate execs targeting that particular market. He's still lacking in stage presence, but its something he can learn as time goes on. 

4. Tua tagovailoa. 

He can definitely work a camera, and he's already media trained, drawing a photo shoot on GQ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHHK210JHoK/

Carries a good, wholesome image. Publicly displays his christian faith, which will register positively in the minds of many across this country. 

Cuts across multiple demographics with his 'background', which claims to be 'pacific islander'. I don't know if its true or not, but who gives a sh*t. It is exotic, and a selling point to corporate execs looking to cash-in on paraphernalia. Tua branded hoola hoops and accessories, ethnic wear, hawaii shirts...it's all within the realms of possibility. 

He's already got a strong public profile across the south, and other traditional football 'markets'. If he can build an urban image, he'll become the go-to ambassador for lifestyle and retail brands across the country. He's already landed an endorsement deal with gillette. 

He ticks a lot of boxes. If i was his agent, i'd definitely price his services higher than average, purely in consideration of a truly well-rounded image that appeals to a wide range of demographics nationwide. 

Justin herbert and kyler murray are too shy to work a camera, and at this point, not on the radar.