" Maybe a dozen’ teams could be interested in Sam Darnold " ~ ~ ~

kelly

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Blake Bortles, Winston and Trubisky are still the same guys.  They were all actually better than Sam at the same point in their careers.  

Darnold has been badly outplayed by many QB's who got the 'bust' label like Mariota and the ones you listed at this point in their careers. His lack of production has been absurd, if we can recoup a 2nd round pick for him it will be an amazing example of NFL teams thinking they can fix guys when all evidence shows otherwise

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Blake Bortles, Winston and Trubisky are still the same guys.  They were all actually better than Sam at the same point in their careers.  

And what does that mean in regards to Darnold?  Were any of them is situations anywhere as bad as Sams?  Any of them have a combination of 0 talent at WR, RB, OL and coaching?  Which falls right into what Vacciano was saying, person types still think of him high enough regard and blame the team, lack of talent and poor coaching

He's the 32nd rated and dead last ranked QB within all of football and the history of QBs who finish dead last throughout their respected seasons is an absolute nightmare. QB Rating of 64.0 here in 2020 is atrocious and his career QB Rating of 77.6 screams career backup QB at best. 

No team would ever give up a 1st for Sam and it'll be impossible to receive a 2nd for him too; he's just not worthy of a premium high pick. 

I'd celebrate over a 5th rounder for him...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He's the 32nd rated and dead last ranked QB within all of football and the history of QBs who finish dead last throughout their respected seasons is an absolute nightmare. QB Rating of 64.0 here in 2020 is atrocious and his career QB Rating of 77.6 screams career backup QB at best. 

No team would ever give up a 1st for Sam and it'll be impossible to receive a 2nd for him too; he's just not worthy of a premium high pick. 

I'd celebrate over a 5th rounder for him...

Sam put up as many points yesterday as the guy the Broncos picked up at Walmart on Saturday to run the wildcat. Let that sink in for a minute.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And what does that mean in regards to Darnold?  Were any of them is situations anywhere as bad as Sams?  Any of them have a combination of 0 talent at WR, RB, OL and coaching?  Which falls right into what Vacciano was saying, person types still think of him high enough regard and blame the team, lack of talent and poor coaching

He’s a key member of the dumpster fire.  No one is blameless   

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sam put up as many points yesterday as the guy the Broncos picked up at Walmart on Saturday to run the wildcat. Let that sink in for a minute.

Yup and that Denver QB never had 1 single QB practice rep for them heading into the game. 

Sam is an absolute bust. 

The only people that think Sam is a full bust = Jets fans.

League evaluators probably see him as a prospect that hasn’t been coached in 4 years, but you won’t find an offensive coach who doesn’t think he can get more out of Sam than Gase did.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

He’s a key member of the dumpster fire.  No one is blameless   

Blameless is fine, but that still has nothing to do with his situation being being different than others.

And that the others couldn't turn it around he cant.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Blameless is fine, but that still has nothing to do with his situation being being different than others.

And that the others couldn't turn it around he cant.

You’re making an argument that it’s coaching and talent.  Essentially he needs a ton of development and great talent around him to reach his potential.  If you have the talent and coaching why would you invest years in a QB who needs years of development.   There’s economics and competition along with time and sunk cost that’s playing out in the equation.  Sam could be good if he got his mechanic straightened out and had mentors and a team was willing to both pay and shelve him until his mechanics and brain coughs up to his surrounding cast.  That’s what Tampa Bay is doing with Rosen.  They picked him up for nothing and put him on their practice squad.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

You’re making an argument that it’s coaching and talent.  Essentially he needs a ton of development and great talent around him to reach his potential.  If you have the talent and coaching why would you invest years in a QB who needs years of development.   There’s economics and competition along with time and sunk cost that’s playing out in the equation.  Sam could be good if he got his mechanic straightened out and had mentors and a team was willing to both pay and shelve him until his mechanics and brain coughs up to his surrounding cast.  That’s what Tampa Bay is doing with Rosen.  They picked him up for nothing and put him on their practice squad.  

I am.  Which is why I think people would still be interested in him.  

The real way economics work is whoever gets him doesnt have to give him a $100 mil dollar contract and can develop him.  Hes been a starter, most of the work needs to be putting competence around him.  He can throw fine I dont buy into its all mechanics, he needs confidence and players.  I may be wrong, but hes a 23 year old kid, still.  People still believe theyre getting shot at a possible FQB for pennies on the dollar.  I hope Im right

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I am.  Which is why I think people would still be interested in him.  

The real way economics work is whoever gets him doesnt have to give him a $100 mil dollar contract and can develop him.  Hes been a starter, most of the work needs to be putting competence around him.  He can throw fine I dont buy into its all mechanics, he needs confidence and players.  I may be wrong, but hes a 23 year old kid, still.  People still believe theyre getting shot at a possible FQB for pennies on the dollar.  I hope Im right

Agreed for a cheap contract and a second day pick maybe.  Giving up a first day pick is not pennies on the dollar.  Picks are gold in the NFL to well run organizations.  

32 minutes ago, kelly said:

jim-plunkett-2.jpg

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

I loved the Oakland team that won the two SB with Plunkett.  They were a very well crafted team that was really fun to watch.  There are a lot of similarities to the Plunkett draft class and the Darnold draft class.

The 1971 NFL draft QB's went 1,2 and 3.  Plunkett was the consensus best QB in the draft and went 1,  Archie Manning went 2 to NO and Dan Pastorini went 3 to Houston.  Anderson went in the third round in that draft and Theismann went in the 4th round.  

Plunkett actually won the rookie of the year for the Pats.  When Steve Grogan a 5th round draft pick essentially beat him out the Pats traded him for a haul to SF.  They got 2 first round picks in 76 a first and 2nd in 77 and QB Tom Owens to back up Grogan.  The Pats rebuilt with those picks and had a relatively successful run.  They didn't suck and they had some real talent because of those drafts.

SF grossly overpaid because Plunkett was sort of a home town hero.  They ended up cutting him outright 2 years later and went with DeBerg until they drafted Montana.

Plunkett had a 16 year career where the first 8 were nothing to write home about.  My fondest memory of him is the playoff game in the strike shortened 81 season where Richard, don't call me Dick, Todd outplayed him in Oakland in the divisional round of the playoffs.  Plunkett threw 3 picks.  

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Sam to show us something in year 9.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:34 PM, JetsFanatic said:

I think Darnold will draw a lot of interest. My perception is most football people around the league blame poor coaching  * a roster void of any real NFL talent  ( save a few ) *  , for his poor play

* fixed *   ^ ^ 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

d3e5122e8e7210a31a8b2e74580bd149.gif