2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

24 minutes ago, derp said:

He’s literally never produced as a #1 receiver so I don’t know why he’d get that label. Especially since he had the opportunity to do it, failed, and then came back with a chance to seize the role and didn’t do it again. Not only has he never done it, but he’s almost proven he can’t.

Hype way exceeds production which means he’s likely getting overpaid and he’s been a distraction, too. Not to mention the Steelers hang on to their good young players.

In 2018, he was close while putting up over 1400 yards and 7 TDs.  The problem with Juju is that he plays almost strictly in the slot.  He played 82% in the slot last year.  Compare that to Jets' current "slot receiver", Crowder who played 68%.  

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The Panthers have cut several players this month, creating some cap space that they’d love to spend on Deshaun Watson.

Carolina’s moves in the last week have cleared nearly $20 million in cap space, which would be enough to absorb Watson’s 2021 cap hit, and the Panthers plan to make a run at Watson if the Texans make him available in a trade, David Newton of ESPN reports. (That is an actual report, although ESPN has given it less attention than the “bold prediction” that the Panthers’ offer would be Christian McCaffrey and three first-round draft picks.)

The phrasing of the report — the Panthers will make a run at Watson if the Texans make him available — is almost identical to a previous report that the Broncos will make an offer for Watson if the Texans make him available. That suggests that multiple teams are waiting around for the Texans to say Watson is on the trading block, and then they’ll pull the trigger on a big offer when and if the Texans give them the go-ahead.

But if you want Watson and think you can make a credible offer for him, why wait? Why not call the Texans now and let them know you’re willing to part with a significant number of draft picks and/or players to get Watson? The worst the Texans can tell you is no. In a best-case scenario, it may begin the process of your team acquiring one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

Watson wants to be traded, and the Texans are saying publicly that they won’t trade him. But there’s likely some trade package good enough that the Texans would make the move. Teams like the Broncos and Panthers appear ready to make those offers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/20/panthers-clearing-cap-space-want-to-make-a-run-at-deshaun-watson/amp/

I feel like the best way to court Deshaun Watson is to just cut everyone on your team, alienate Teddy Bridgewater, and then send the Texans all of your draft picks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

In 2018, he was close while putting up over 1400 yards and 7 TDs.  The problem with Juju is that he plays almost strictly in the slot.  He played 82% in the slot last year.  Compare that to Jets' current "slot receiver", Crowder who played 68%.  

He had great numbers in 2018 but Brown was the number one and got a ton of attention from defenses. Without that true number one threat he’s been mediocre. That’s what I was getting at.

The slot thing is a great point and also a huge issue since if the 49ers and Packers are any indication the Jets won’t be going three wide a lot.

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I wonder if the board opinion will change on Juju assuming ARob, Godwin, Golladay, and Samuel don't hit the market. 

Godwin I think is the longest of shots to hit the market. ARob will probably want $20mm/yr and you'd have to give up a 1st or second for the right to pay him. Golladay I'd guess would be a tag and trade candidate as well, and he has the exact same style as Denzel Mims, so while I would like him his skill set is somewhat redundant.

If Samuel is re-signed Juju is by far the best scheme fit available. I get he dances and stuff and that pisses people off, but he is young, relatively healthy, good with the ball in his hands after the catch, good over the middle, good blocker, can play inside and out, and he actually plays really physical/tough. Shannahan system requires players that can win in the middle and produce after the catch, he'd be a perfect scheme fit - just don't download tiktok and you have nothing to worry about. 

My opinion on him would change if he put up and shut up. I can't deny the bright spots in his game: he's tough as nails and is as close to a modern day Anquan Boldin (my favorite receiver of all time) in the league currently. The fact that I'm able to say that and still not want him goes to show how much the off-the-field bothers me lol. He needs to focus.

Aside from that, I have yet to be shown that he can consistently win from the outside. I do agree with you in that this offense is well suited for him, and in addition to what you mentioned it will moving him around more and seek to get him the ball in space. My contention is that you can easily find a receiver for cheaper that you can manufacture production out of. If we're paying big money I'd hope it's a guy that can win his matchups... a guy that can win one-on-one's. I just don't know if that's the case with JuJu. 

Again I'm just passing along what I've been told. There are other guys that I'd prefer but I appreciate that the market may not be as robust at WR as initially believed it would. Samuel has so many suitors that it seems like there's less confidence in signing him as there once was. Will Fuller IV is extremely injury prone and coming off a suspension, plus speculation that the Texans will tag him. I'm beginning to believe that our "premier" WR free agent signing will be either JuJu or Kendrick Bourne, with a guy like Marquise Goodwin once he's released. I don't expect that to inspire much confidence in fans, but I get the sense they're going to attack the position in the draft as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Golladay All Day

For sure!  Golladay's a superstar but I don't think he shakes loose unless the Lions tag and trade him.  If they do, I'd send them a first plus more.

JuJu will be available as a FA.  Pitt can't tag and trade him.

1 hour ago, derp said:

He’s literally never produced as a #1 receiver so I don’t know why he’d get that label. Especially since he had the opportunity to do it, failed, and then came back with a chance to seize the role and didn’t do it again. Not only has he never done it, but he’s almost proven he can’t.

Hype way exceeds production which means he’s likely getting overpaid and he’s been a distraction, too. Not to mention the Steelers hang on to their good young players.

Ju-Ju and a top draft WR instantly improves this WR corps. 

The Steelers cant afford him and they have drafted very well at WR over the last few years, we haven't. 

We seem to want to resurrect any and all JAG WR who isn't on some other team roster. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, derp said:

The slot thing is a great point and also a huge issue since if the 49ers and Packers are any indication the Jets won’t be going three wide a lot.

I disagree.

I think JuJu would be a great scheme fit for the new O.  JuJu is tough and can block really well and can run screens and handoffs.  He would be our Deebo.  Crowder, as much as I like him, is the one who's not a fit for the new O.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju and a top draft WR instantly improves this WR corps. 

The Steelers cant afford him and they have drafted very well at WR over the last few years, we haven't. 

We seem to want to resurrect any and all JAG WR who isn't on some other team roster. 

None of that makes him a #1 WR or a good potential signing.

Just now, dcJet said:

I disagree.

I think JuJu would be a great scheme fit for the new O.  JuJu is tough and can block really well and can run screens and handoffs.  He would be our Deebo.  Crowder, as much as I like him, is the one who's not a fit for the new O.

I mean, you’re entitled to your opinion. None of what you said changes that the Jets aren’t likely to go three wide a lot next year or that JuJu almost exclusively played in the slot. He also had a chance to play outside in 2019 and really struggled.

Also think Deebo is more explosive and the Steelers did use WR’s in the run game - 3 got a total of 17 carries - but not JuJu.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

JuJu is above Samuel IMO.  

I mean, the person I was responding to had Samuel over JuJu which is why I replied how I did. They had Samuel in the top tier which I disagreed with.

I don’t think it’s clear cut but for even money I’ll take the guy who’s been getting more productive rather than less, had more yards last year on less targets, is faster, and is more proven in the run game for an offense that wants to do that. But I’ll concede it’s not clear cut.

1 minute ago, derp said:

I mean, the person I was responding to had Samuel over JuJu which is why I replied how I did. They had Samuel in the top tier which I disagreed with.

I don’t think it’s clear cut but for even money I’ll take the guy who’s been getting more productive rather than less, had more yards last year on less targets, is faster, and is more proven in the run game for an offense that wants to do that. But I’ll concede it’s not clear cut.

Ju-Ju has been less productive in Pittsburgh because of Johnson,Washington,Claypool the NY Jets have nothing close to those players. 

43 minutes ago, football guy said:

My opinion on him would change if he put up and shut up. I can't deny the bright spots in his game: he's tough as nails and is as close to a modern day Anquan Boldin (my favorite receiver of all time) in the league currently. The fact that I'm able to say that and still not want him goes to show how much the off-the-field bothers me lol. He needs to focus.

Aside from that, I have yet to be shown that he can consistently win from the outside. I do agree with you in that this offense is well suited for him, and in addition to what you mentioned it will moving him around more and seek to get him the ball in space. My contention is that you can easily find a receiver for cheaper that you can manufacture production out of. If we're paying big money I'd hope it's a guy that can win his matchups... I guy that can win one-on-one's. I just don't know if that's the case with JuJu. 

Again I'm just passing along what I've been told. There are other guys that I'd prefer but I appreciate that the market may not be as robust at WR as initially believed it would. Samuel has so many suitors that it seems like there's less confidence in signing him as there once was. Will Fuller IV is extremely injury prone and coming off a suspension, plus speculation that the Texans will tag him. I'm beginning to believe that our "premier" free agent signing in FA will be either JuJu or Kendrick Bourne, with a guy like Marquise Goodwin once he's released. I don't expect that to inspire much confidence in fans, but I get the sense they're going to attack the position in the draft as well. 

Goodwin is useful if we launch Perriman.  He stretches the field.  Curtis is ok.

I really disagree on your JuJu take.  He is perfect for Deebo's role.  He's a monster matchup in the middle and hard to tackle and knocks defenders on their asses.

The off-the-field stuff is meaningless.  He's not a criminal. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who is better than him on the current roster? 

Steelers had Johnson,Washington,Claypool

Crowder’s stats extrapolated to a full year are almost identical on less targets and a far worse offense. It’s very close between the two.

JuJu was supposed to be the #1 over all those guys and couldn’t hang on to the role because he’s not a #1. That’s kind of the my point. Claypool is getting there but none of those guys have been elite top targets that a true #1 wouldn’t have beaten out either.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ju-Ju has been less productive in Pittsburgh because of Johnson,Washington,Claypool the NY Jets have nothing close to those players. 

I mean I addressed this in my other reply to you but I’ll take a moment to ask if you’re saying the Jets have no one close to James Washington with a straight face.

Just now, derp said:

Crowder’s stats extrapolated to a full year are almost identical on less targets and a far worse offense. It’s very close between the two.

JuJu was supposed to be the #1 over all those guys and couldn’t hang on to the role because he’s not a #1. That’s kind of the my point. Claypool is getting there but none of those guys have been elite top targets that a true #1 wouldn’t have beaten out either.

4 equally talented WR's on the same team. 

The QB favors one or the other. 

The opposing teams defense keys on and double teams the better WR (Ju-Ju) it opens up opportunities for them. 

Thats football cant explain it another way to you. 

Ju-Ju Smith Schuster if signed by the NY jets immediately becomes the #1 WR and best WR on the roster.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean I addressed this in my other reply to you but I’ll take a moment to ask if you’re saying the Jets have no one close to James Washington with a straight face.

56 catches 392 yards 5 TD's playing with that talented bunch and not being the only decent WR on the team. 

Crowder was our best WR and only had 6 TD's amongst JAG"s 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

4 equally talented WR's on the same team. 

The QB favors one or the other. 

The opposing teams defense keys on and double teams the better WR (Ju-Ju) it opens up opportunities for them. 

Thats football cant explain it another way to you. 

Ju-Ju Smith Schuster if signed by the NY jets immediately becomes the #1 WR and best WR on the roster.

Except JuJu isn’t the better WR in this scenario and the Steelers throw a ton more and more effectively than the Jets did. JuJu is a product of the other guys on his team not the other way around. It’s why he was better with Brown than with their current guys who he still can’t take targets from.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

56 catches 392 yards 5 TD's playing with that talented bunch and not being the only decent WR on the team. 

Crowder was our best WR and only had 6 TD's amongst JAG"s 

This feels like a good point to end our back and forth.

If we can't get ARob, Godwin or Golliday, I'm warming up to trading down a few slots and grabbing Chase or Smith (or Waddle).  Chase *should* be available at #4 unless MIA takes him.  But then Sewell is there for another tradedown, and Waddle, if not Smith, will be available as far down as #8 at least.

• Upvote 1

JuJu is not head case like Antonio Brown or OBJ. He's actually not a bad kid, gives back to the community and all.  Just needs to delete his Tik-Tok.  Him and Mims blocking on our WR screens for the slot receiver we draft Waddle/Moore/Toney? Would love to get Godwin but if he's not available. Signing JuJu wouldn't be a bad fallback option if the FA WR market dries up quickly.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

JuJu is not head case like Antonio Brown or OBJ. He's actually not a bad kid, gives back to the community and all.  Just needs to delete his Tik-Tok.  Him and Mims blocking on our WR screens for the slot receiver we draft Waddle/Moore/Toney? Would love to get Godwin but if he's not available. Signing JuJu wouldn't be a bad fallback option if the FA WR market dries up quickly.

Can't upvote this enough!

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I wonder if the board opinion will change on Juju assuming ARob, Godwin, Golladay, and Samuel don't hit the market. 

Godwin I think is the longest of shots to hit the market. ARob will probably want $20mm/yr and you'd have to give up a 1st or second for the right to pay him. Golladay I'd guess would be a tag and trade candidate as well, and he has the exact same style as Denzel Mims, so while I would like him his skill set is somewhat redundant.

If Samuel is re-signed Juju is by far the best scheme fit available. I get he dances and stuff and that pisses people off, but he is young, relatively healthy, good with the ball in his hands after the catch, good over the middle, good blocker, can play inside and out, and he actually plays really physical/tough. Shannahan system requires players that can win in the middle and produce after the catch, he'd be a perfect scheme fit - just don't download tiktok and you have nothing to worry about. 

I disagree here CJF. I think Godwin, since he's the easiest to replace, will hit FA. Don't forget Tampa has Scotty Miller in the wings waiting to get more playing time. Fournett will hit FA as well since he'd be easy to replace also. LOVE to see Godwin with the Jets. 

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I disagree here CJF. I think Godwin, since he's the easiest to replace, will hit FA. Don't forget Tampa has Scotty Miller in the wings waiting to get more playing time. Fournett will hit FA as well since he'd be easy to replace also. LOVE to see Godwin with the Jets. 

They’ll tag Godwin if need be.

They’re looking for another ring. They’re not giving up a big piece of the puzzle.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I hope you're right - I just can't see it knowing TB has such a limited window and Brady came there specifically for the weapons/offense. Apparently Shaq Barret wants to get a massive pay day so I'd let him walk and focus on Godwin and David. Tagging Godwin for $15mm or so is a steal - but yea if Godwin hits free agency he is my #1 choice.

• Sympathy 1