JD will be judged by Watson's fate

kevinc855

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

It is finally official. Deshaun Watson, a top 5 NFL QB at 25 is on the market. 

Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Its also official, there are only 3-5 NFL teams that are in SERIOUS contention for Watson, and more likely then not, 3 front runners....THE JETS AMONG THEM. 

So, now its up to JD to make it happen. I believe his tenure will be marked by the next couple months. JD has proven to be a little shaky in FA in the last few years and made some questionable moves. With that said, he has proven, if anything he is good at tearing down talent, to acquire capital to obtain talent in the future. That begins with finding a QB. I mean thats what half of this is about right? Look at the final four this year...Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Brees. Yes the QB position is the most important position in the fields and yes, in TODAYS NFL its hard to go deep into the playoffs with out one. Well, one is sitting out there for the taking. Will JD make it happen. We have a right to be skeptical, if JD treats the Robby deal like this one, we are in trouble. The kind of take it or leave it mode, scared to "overpay". Watson will cost 3 1st rounders at minimum plus Darnold at least. The Jets CAN and must make it happen. If JD is the draft guru many of you make it out to be we can still acquire talent with 3rd and 4ths and plug and play in FA. 

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  The other scary play for JD passing on Watson being scared of "overpaying" is the second candidate for Watson, the Dolphins. One as a Jet Fan could imagine a scenario where the Jets pass and the Dolphins obtain Watson. We watch Watson and Allen battle it out for the decade while we roll with 8-8 type years with rookie QB and veteran plug ins. History will not judge JD well if that happens. 

JD...Make it happen. Dont get caught up on that extra 3d round pick and get in some haggling. This is your future, we need a QB, we can afford the QB. Get the QB. Or let history write your fate. 

Are you a Texans fan?

OMG!  There is no succes without Watson?   What a crock of sh*t.  If They get Watson and Wilson, Fields and/or Lance turn into Rodgers, Watons on a rookie deal, and/or Mahomes Douglas will be looked at as a moron.  

I am glad this GM seems to play the long game.  He shouldn't **** it up now and soil his Pampers because Watson asked to be traded.  He didn't when Adams asked and he shouldn't now.

• Upvote 2

Why don't  we judge JD like everyone else does, on his drafts, trades, and FA moves. If we get Watson without mortgaging the future, I'm all for it but if we give away the house for this guy and have the same crap team with a top 5 QB for the next 3 years and have a losing record all that time, I'm not sure I will be a big JD supporter. I mean what is with 3 firsts and Sam BS? We give them the 2nd overall which is worth a Hell of a lot in  draft like this, and a 2nd in 2022 plus Sam and even that seems like a lot. They can trade the #2 for 2 firsts round picks and still get a good player. They are not in a position of strength.  They have a QB that wants off the team, they are over the cap, and they have no draft picks. Screw this that they are telling us what they want. Take our offer and if you don't  want it, we are fine drafting g a QB this year or next. We are the best deal they will get. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know? I think it's too strong a reaction to say, "Douglas will be judged by Watson's fate". There's two reasons why I think that's untrue:

1) The fans understand the price? Like me, you, and everybody else we cringe at the asking price? That's serious sticker shock. I, for one, would never consider giving 3 or more 1st round draft choices for any player. I don't care if it were Peyton Manning in his prime. I'm never giving up that much for anyone. But in this case, people probably think to themselves, how can the Jets improve if they give that kind of asking price for one player.

2) Watson's injury history - whether you think that's a worry or not, when you're giving up that asking price injuries are very much a concern.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Why don't  we judge JD like everyone else does, on his drafts, trades, and FA moves. If we get Watson without mortgaging the future, I'm all for it but if we give away the house for this guy and have the same crap team with a top 5 QB for the next 3 years and have a losing record all that time, I'm not sure I will be a big JD supporter. I mean what is with 3 firsts and Sam BS? We give them the 2nd overall which is worth a Hell of a lot in  draft like this, and a 2nd in 2022 plus Sam and even that seems like a lot. They can trade the #2 for 2 firsts round picks and still get a good player. They are not in a position of strength.  They have a QB that wants off the team, they are over the cap, and they have no draft picks. Screw this that they are telling us what they want. Take our offer and if you don't  want it, we are fine drafting g a QB this year or next. We are the best deal they will get. 

Well if we are grading on draft picks and free agency JD has maybe a C grade 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

OMG!  There is no succes without Watson?   What a crock of sh*t.  If They get Watson and Wilson, Fields and/or Lance turn into Rodgers, Watons on a rookie deal, and/or Mahomes Douglas will be looked at as a moron.  

I am glad this GM seems to play the long game.  He shouldn't **** it up now and soil his Pampers because Watson asked to be traded.  He didn't when Adams asked and he shouldn't now.

Now youre catching on!

6 hours ago, MykePM said:

Would you say that Robert Saleh was a bargain basement hire?  How about Joe Douglas?

These are both first timers, so yeah, kinda 

I like these guys, way more than previous... but neither has a track record of doing the job they were hired to do and that makes them way more affordable than BB and Andy Reid types 

The jets are building a program, coach Saleh says that there are no shortcuts. 

Watson is a shortcut 

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think JD will be judged by his decision on Sam more than his decision on Watson's fate. I understand your point though.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I will judge Douglas on one basis and one basis only:  If Sam Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the team in 2021, I want him gone.  

Watson may well be unwilling to waive his no-trade clause to come here for all we know.  But certainly if he's available to us and we don't go after him aggressively, that's a fireable offense as well.  

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not at all. Watson has a no trade clause, and JD has no control whether he wants to exercise that as an option with the Jets.

JD will be judged on his entirety of the offseason.

11 hours ago, addage said:

Ridiculous.  JD will be judged on team's win/loss record over the next 2-3 years.  The instant gratification set are guaranteed to be unhappy--regardless of what the Jets do about Watson--because the Jets can't be rebuilt in a year.

What you gain by adding Watson you will lose by not adding core strength in other positions due to the draft/player cost in acquiring Watson.

JD needs to contend in 2022 and be a playoff team in 2023.  Whether that's with Watson or without.

After reading the OP at midnight and literally (as in literally) laughing out loud at it, I was wondering what to reply.  But you guys did it for me early afternoon.  Thanks. Saved me 4 pages of kvetching.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I like these guys, way more than previous... but neither has a track record of doing the job they were hired to do and that makes them way more affordable than BB and Andy Reid types 

Watson is a shortcut 

"Shortcut" to years of contention if JD builds the team around him as he should be able to do.  Darnold? Wilson?  One stinks and the other is a prospect, a pure roll of the dice.  Watson is the best choice and it's not even close.   It's already a very long consecutive streak of outright QB draft busts for this team.  Jets scout suck. Jets GM have always sucked at QB.  JD is an unknown with respect thereto.  Oh wait.......  he spent a 4th round pick on a guy that couldn't see the field in a tanked season.  That gives you confidence?  Ha.  Not me.  Not yet.  Give me Watson.  For the love of God grow a little sanity.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

"Shortcut" to years of contention if JD builds the team around him as he should be able to do

There are no shortcuts. 

Trading for Watson, signing a bunch of offensive free agents, that's what a fan would do. I'm not even saying it's wrong. It's just not going to happen. 

• Upvote 1

JD must be pissed at Gaze for winning those two meaningless games.  He could have had a straight path forward.

Now, he will be judged by the opportunity costs of his decisions like all GM's are.  This is a Macc-2017 moment right here.

Pulling off a trade for Watson gives JD tremendous cover.

All other decisions - Rookie QB, BPA or trade down carry lots of potential for future criticism.

21 hours ago, addage said:

Jets fans sound like they are panting to be on the wrong side of the Herschel Walker trade.

Blair Thomas and JL Jones pale in comparison to how stupid Vikings were in making that trade.

You know, I was thinking something similar, one more ACL tear and Watson could become Dante Culpepper.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Watson is a shortcut 

BB has done jack S*** in his career when he hasn't had a QB named Tom Brady.

Andy Reid's record is slightly better than jack s*** when he hasn't had a QB named Patrick Mahomes.

As much as it is enticing to think about Watson, how much is he doing for his Texan team with no players around him?  Well, unless JD hits on all his 2nd and 3rd round picks as starters, you won't have any first rounders for a bit.  Plus, Watson has injured both knees....it is a HUGE risk paying such a premium for a QB.

CRAZY idea.  We draft one!  We keep drafting them until one works.  Like, every year.  Would have been SOOO much easier had we drafted Watson or Mahomes in the first place.  I will admit, I didn't think either one of them were going to be what they were.