JD will be judged by Watson's fate

kevinc855

It is finally official. Deshaun Watson, a top 5 NFL QB at 25 is on the market. 

Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Its also official, there are only 3-5 NFL teams that are in SERIOUS contention for Watson, and more likely then not, 3 front runners....THE JETS AMONG THEM. 

So, now its up to JD to make it happen. I believe his tenure will be marked by the next couple months. JD has proven to be a little shaky in FA in the last few years and made some questionable moves. With that said, he has proven, if anything he is good at tearing down talent, to acquire capital to obtain talent in the future. That begins with finding a QB. I mean thats what half of this is about right? Look at the final four this year...Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Brees. Yes the QB position is the most important position in the fields and yes, in TODAYS NFL its hard to go deep into the playoffs with out one. Well, one is sitting out there for the taking. Will JD make it happen. We have a right to be skeptical, if JD treats the Robby deal like this one, we are in trouble. The kind of take it or leave it mode, scared to "overpay". Watson will cost 3 1st rounders at minimum plus Darnold at least. The Jets CAN and must make it happen. If JD is the draft guru many of you make it out to be we can still acquire talent with 3rd and 4ths and plug and play in FA. 

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  The other scary play for JD passing on Watson being scared of "overpaying" is the second candidate for Watson, the Dolphins. One as a Jet Fan could imagine a scenario where the Jets pass and the Dolphins obtain Watson. We watch Watson and Allen battle it out for the decade while we roll with 8-8 type years with rookie QB and veteran plug ins. History will not judge JD well if that happens. 

JD...Make it happen. Dont get caught up on that extra 3d round pick and get in some haggling. This is your future, we need a QB, we can afford the QB. Get the QB. Or let history write your fate. 

• Thumb Down 14
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think JD will be judged by his decision on Sam more than his decision on Watson's fate. I understand your point though.

Yes, but the two are kind of tied together. If JD doesn't believe in Sam, its hard to see how he DOESNT get Watson. 

• Upvote 2

Can't speak for anyone else, but I will judge Douglas on one basis and one basis only:  If Sam Darnold is the unquestioned starter of the team in 2021, I want him gone.  

Watson may well be unwilling to waive his no-trade clause to come here for all we know.  But certainly if he's available to us and we don't go after him aggressively, that's a fireable offense as well.  

• Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 4

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes, but the two are kind of tied together. If JD doesn't believe in Sam, its hard to see how he DOESNT get Watson. 

What if they want 5 #1s, does he get a pass if he says no? What is the cutoff?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

It is hard to see but it’s also understandable if he doesn’t. He just built up a war chest full of picks and if Houston’s asking price is going to compromise the entire rebuild, as much as I want Watson, I would understand the lack of interest in letting that many high picks go. 

we have some to spare, we have some to make a move like that, we don’t have enough to over pay.

• Upvote 2

Just now, addage said:

Ridiculous.  JD will be judged on team's win/loss record over the next 2-3 years.  The instant gratification set are guaranteed to be unhappy--regardless of what the Jets do about Watson--because the Jets can't be rebuilt in a year.

What you gain by adding Watson you will lose by not adding core strength in other positions due to the draft/player cost in acquiring Watson.

JD needs to contend in 2022 and be a playoff team in 2023.  Whether that's with Watson or without.

First of all this is a stunning comment. We don’t need to be a playoff team till 2023? That is on the 5th year of JD contract but you all wanted Mac gone in 3 years. GTFO with 2023.

Don’t you want a qb or not or are Gona be the dinasours who make ravens 2000 comparisons 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

JD should and will be judged based on how he builds this team... Anything else is just plain BS... If he sticks with Sam and we win a Superbowl with him will you all feel the same that he should be fired ?  I'm not saying Sam is the answer, but please let's be realistic and let the man do his job. For once we have a competent GM and you all want to tar and feather the man if we don't get Watson. He can only make a trade he is comfortable with and that's what we hired him for. If Watson or Houston turns us down so be it. I'll judge him by how he builds this team and whether we are in contention year in and year out, and a few SB's sprinkled in. I want a team that can contend year in and year out, not the shiny new toy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

True. I guess i'm just looking at a scenario where he doesn't want to give up the draft capital for Watson and takes Zach Wilson at pick 2. 

Thats still a huge gamble for JD. If Wilson doesnt pan out we will be talking about this offseason for years. 

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Miami being in the picture really throws a wrench in what his plans really were.  Even if he didn't want to pay up to get Watson, he might have to just to prevent Miami from getting him and having to face him twice a year.  

Yes 4 games a year against Watson and Allen does not sound fun

1 minute ago, addage said:

Jets fans sound like they are panting to be on the wrong side of the Herschel Walker trade.

Blair Thomas and JL Jones pale in comparison to how stupid Vikings were in making that trade.

there are no shortcuts

Coach Saleh says it every time he gets a microphone in front of him

there are no shortcuts

the board is full of fans who want a shortcut from 2-14 to 14-2 based on hope and dreams

yes there is an optimistic outcome where the jets trade for watson and become good right away

he could also tear his 3rd ACL and everyone involved gets fired

this board is very fast and loose with Woody's money and Joe Douglas's job security, neither man wants to rock the boat they just want to slowly build an affordable, non embarassing football program 

after Gase set the car on fire, it might take more than one offseason to restore this rust bucket  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I didn't even bother to read the first post because the OP title is utter nonsense. Watson, for as good as he is, is not the Holy Grail. There is no such thing. I'll judge JD on the totality of his actions during the offseason. 

Were you one of the people on this forum comfortable with forfeiting an entire season for a holy grail from Clemson???

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

First of all this is a stunning comment. We don’t need to be a playoff team till 2023? That is on the 5th year of JD contract but you all wanted Mac gone in 3 years. GTFO with 2023.

Don’t you want a qb or not or are Gona be the dinasours who make ravens 2000 comparisons 

Stop smoking weed, it clouds ones judgement... 

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Miami being in the picture really throws a wrench in what his plans really were.  Even if he didn't want to pay up to get Watson, he might have to just to prevent Miami from getting him and having to face him twice a year.  

Are you high on the Saleh hire or not... If you believe in the man we just hired as head coach why would you be worried about whether or not Watson goes to Miami...

• Upvote 1

Meh, I agree with going and getting Watson but JD wont be judge on that, he'll be judged on the overall success of the team, not a singular decision that he ultimately doesnt have control over.  The Jets could make the best offer and Watson could choose to go somewhere else.  Is that JD's fault?  Nah

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Deshaun Watson is a good QB

Deshaun Watson had a fine year last year

Houston Texans won 4 games and handed the Miami dolphins the #3 pick in the draft.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes anyone who thinks Chris Johnson sat down with JD in 2018 and was like yea..."listen I just want a wildcard birth 5 seasons from now" then I need some of your stuff

who cares what Felix Fishoeder wants 

or what Gob Bluth has to say 

Christopher Johnson tried on his big brother's shoes and clomped around for a couple years pretending this was his franchise 

his accomplishments include changing the uniforms and hiring Adam Gase 

Woody is back. No one's ever going to care what Christopher has to say, ever again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

It is finally official. Deshaun Watson, a top 5 NFL QB at 25 is on the market. 

Something like this simply doesn't happen in the NFL, but Houston through shear incompetence has made it possible. 

Its also official, there are only 3-5 NFL teams that are in SERIOUS contention for Watson, and more likely then not, 3 front runners....THE JETS AMONG THEM. 

So, now its up to JD to make it happen. I believe his tenure will be marked by the next couple months. JD has proven to be a little shaky in FA in the last few years and made some questionable moves. With that said, he has proven, if anything he is good at tearing down talent, to acquire capital to obtain talent in the future. That begins with finding a QB. I mean thats what half of this is about right? Look at the final four this year...Allen, Mahomes, Brady, Brees. Yes the QB position is the most important position in the fields and yes, in TODAYS NFL its hard to go deep into the playoffs with out one. Well, one is sitting out there for the taking. Will JD make it happen. We have a right to be skeptical, if JD treats the Robby deal like this one, we are in trouble. The kind of take it or leave it mode, scared to "overpay". Watson will cost 3 1st rounders at minimum plus Darnold at least. The Jets CAN and must make it happen. If JD is the draft guru many of you make it out to be we can still acquire talent with 3rd and 4ths and plug and play in FA. 

Something tells me Coach Salah is much more like lets get Watson to start this mariage off then an NFL talent unknown like Wilson (A project) or Fields (boom or bust) type talent.  The other scary play for JD passing on Watson being scared of "overpaying" is the second candidate for Watson, the Dolphins. One as a Jet Fan could imagine a scenario where the Jets pass and the Dolphins obtain Watson. We watch Watson and Allen battle it out for the decade while we roll with 8-8 type years with rookie QB and veteran plug ins. History will not judge JD well if that happens. 

JD...Make it happen. Dont get caught up on that extra 3d round pick and get in some haggling. This is your future, we need a QB, we can afford the QB. Get the QB. Or let history write your fate. 

you seem to say JD will be judged on Watson's fate - this assume Watson is the best decision at the price you are suggesting.

i'd love to be on the other side of negotiations with you.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes anyone who thinks Chris Johnson sat down with JD in 2018 and was like yea..."listen I just want a wildcard birth 5 seasons from now" then I need some of your stuff

I've read a lot of your posts, and I can see why so many people downvote them... So I have nothing to worry about lol...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think JD will be judged by his decision on Sam more than his decision on Watson's fate. I understand your point though.

I could not agree more, if he keeps Sam, with all these other options available and Sam does not finish at least in the top 15 qbs, his legacy is sealed. Puts us right back at square one, without a qb. 

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Deshaun Watson is a good QB

Deshaun Watson had a fine year last year

Houston Texans won 4 games and handed the Miami dolphins the #3 pick in the draft.

Drew Brees once won 2 games.   

Drew Brees has 7 seasons under .500.

Stupid Saints. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1