Giants Tag Leo

SR24

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gase was only here for 4 games!  Hamstrung by an awful GM, 18 players on IR, and a starting quarterback with mononucleosis!  There was no margin of error for him so there should be no margin of error for Douglas.  So far, all he's done is take a 6-2 team and make it 2-14.  And no one has bought firejoedouglas.com yet.

Exactly my point.  I'll be the first to buy a Joe Douglas t-shirt (design, not size) and name my son's fish after him if he has a great FA and draft in the next 7 weeks.  But he'd better.  Or its time to fly the planes and buy the billboards.  Gase got 4 games; Douglas ain't getting 4 years.

SAR I

Fine points my man. Are we both ignoring this was Adam's second awful tenure as opposed to Joe's first? Weird considering you have a shrine to lousy first time Jets coaches. Is it that you were just happy to not see another first time head coach. so bought in to Adam? It's fine if you did, you still good people to me. Lets hope Saleh breaks that mold like I do lawn chairs. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I am not defending Adam Gase.  He sucked.  I was wrong.  I own it.

But I am highly unhappy with the hypocrisy being shown towards one Joe Douglas.  All the Gase-haters had such an itchy trigger finger with the head coach after 4 measly games but are giving the GM every benefit of the doubt.  When will he feel the fan heat?  After 4 years?  5? 

We have lost more impact players than we have gained.  And it takes no Ozzy Newsome rocket scientist to figure out that you can build draft capital and stockpile cap dollars if you let all your good players walk and replace them with 25 nobodies on one-year deals.  I'm done with the teardown, and I am unconvinced that this guy is capable of building it up.

The next 7 weeks are everything to Joe Douglas.  If we have a mediocre FA period and a meh draft, I expect the planes and the billboards.  

SAR I

You can be a bad coach and also happen to have a bad roster. Gase had four years with two teams. Weird how both situations followed the same exact trajectory. But not his fault. 

• Sympathy 1

Leonard Williams has basically been the same player for the Giants he was for the Jets. Everyone perceives him differently b/c of the difference in sacks, but sacks are generally a misleading stat. 

Here are his PFF grades by year: 

2017: 75.3 overall - 66.7 pass rush grade 

2018: 77.1 overall - 71.4 pass rush grade

2019: 70.6 overall - 66.2 pass rush grade

2020: 79.8 overall - 69.9 pass rush grade  

He is a very good player! In 2019 he had 0.5 stats - he was also the player whos pressure rate was the furthest away from his sack rate - which means he basically came "close" on a lot of sacks and you'd expect more. In 2020 he outperformed! Maybe it was because their secondary improved a bunch in 2020 and QBs couldn't get rid of the ball so quick. Or maybe he just got lucky. 

Either way - I think given where the Jets were at in 2019, knowing they didn't want to pay Leo a $20mm per year salary it was a good trade. It would have been great if they got more - but better to trade him to the highest bidder in 2019 than to fork over $20mm IMO. 

Aaron Donald makes $20mm in 2021, Leonard Williams will make the same - I, for one - am not mad that his contract is not on our books. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  The $80M in cap room, next to no dead money crippling the cap, #2 pick in the draft, and four first round picks in the next two seasons is just random good luck, you know.  It's not possible that was actually intentional. 

Most Jet fans are the biggest whining cry babies in the league..LOL Most called Leo a bust (Just like with Q) now JD was a idiot for trading him like they called for?? And of course we should have kept the Prez and paid him 18 million.. They put the silly into the silly season..:soapbox:

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Leonard Williams has basically been the same player for the Giants he was for the Jets. Everyone perceives him differently b/c of the difference in sacks, but sacks are generally a misleading stat. 

Here are his PFF grades by year: 

2017: 75.3 overall - 66.7 pass rush grade 

2018: 77.1 overall - 71.4 pass rush grade

2019: 70.6 overall - 66.2 pass rush grade

2020: 79.8 overall - 69.9 pass rush grade  

He is a very good player! In 2019 he had 0.5 stats - he was also the player whos pressure rate was the furthest away from his sack rate - which means he basically came "close" on a lot of sacks and you'd expect more. In 2020 he outperformed! Maybe it was because their secondary improved a bunch in 2020 and QBs couldn't get rid of the ball so quick. Or maybe he just got lucky. 

Either way - I think given where the Jets were at in 2019, knowing they didn't want to pay Leo a $20mm per year salary it was a good trade. It would have been great if they got more - but better to trade him to the highest bidder in 2019 than to fork over $20mm IMO. 

Aaron Donald makes $20mm in 2021, Leonard Williams will make the same - I, for one - am not mad that his contract is not on our books. 

Eggsactly.

So because Gettleman wants to pay Leo an absurdly high Franchise Tag on a decent DL Joe Douglas somehow is a fool.  I'm relieved we don't have to pay Leonard Williams these amounts of money.  His sack totals last year were a mirage, almost all were coverage/clean up sacks.  Leo is a name who was lucky to get high sack numbers in his contract year.  

If we're going to pay that salary it needs to be an EDGE, a 4-3 bender coming around a tackle.  Leo just hand fights and keeps his feet moving and plugs away until a QB falls in his arms.  

I have no regrets with this trade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  The $80M in cap room, next to no dead money crippling the cap, #2 pick in the draft, and four first round picks in the next two seasons is just random good luck, you know.  It's not possible that was actually intentional. 

What's crazy is Q, Bell, and Tru still count as 15 million in dead cap space, about 8-9% of the total cap (depending on the actual cap number).

34 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Fine points my man. Are we both ignoring this was Adam's second awful tenure as opposed to Joe's first? Weird considering you have a shrine to lousy first time Jets coaches. Is it that you were just happy to not see another first time head coach. so bought in to Adam? It's fine if you did, you still good people to me. Lets hope Saleh breaks that mold like I do lawn chairs. 

Yes.  I had hoped that hiring an experienced head coach would be to our benefit after a parade of rookie disasters.

At this point I am numb to the whole thing.  I've never been an offseason guy, I don't like the draft or fetishing college boys, and just want to get to July already.  Going to fire up the convertible, put the top down in today's 60 degree temperatures, and let my frustrations out on some German engineering.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

54 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Joe Douglas sucked for 3 years as a gm and ran a franchise into the ground prior to the jets like gase did with the dolphins, yes we would not be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Why is this difficult for you to understand?  Its very simple.  No need for banner/plane comments in every thread.

So your point is that if Gase sucked in his first job he was going to suck in his second job.

So if that's the case, Douglas is sucking right now so he will always suck too.

Planes.  Billboards.  Get them ready.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

You can be a bad coach and also happen to have a bad roster. Gase had four years with two teams. Weird how both situations followed the same exact trajectory. But not his fault. 

It's not about Gase.  It's about Douglas.

He has been with the team since 2019.  While 2020 was his first draft, he was the one who made worse the kicking situation and the OL in 2019.  He then oversaw a team that finished a respectable 6-2 and saw it go 0-8 enroute to 2-14.  And now his press conferences smell like fear.  I'm concerned.

SAR I

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

all Joe has is Ls besides our first round pick which was a no brainer-he is gm of one of the worst rosters the jets ever have had. He made the team MUCH worse last year. I heard all year it was on purpose to tank for Trevor which was dumb because players don't intentionally try to lose in the NFL every week and one could clearly tell Gase was trying to win by not playing the young guys.

This is a HUGE offseason for Joe-if he does not get some quality FA players to come here and nail the draft he is no different than Izadick  or Mac. 

I will also state if Joe D nails the draft , gets us a qb and brings in some talent from the free agent market I will give him all of the credit in the world and sign his praises louder than a fat woman at the opera(I hope this is the case)

In order to believe JD isn't utter garbage you have to believe he was fully cleaning house the past 1 1/2 years...Basically signing other teams back-ups on short term deals, letting quality players go, trading your best players...All because he wanted a clean slate from which to work - that he believed things were such a mess that the best way to go was wipe out all things Mac and start with cap space and draft picks - and then start rebuilding.

Now, I believe that's precisely what he was doing - and he understands the garbage he put on the field but looked at it as a necessary evil - and I think he's done a very good job achieving those goals.  The tear-down is now over and the rebuild starts this year...

Now, if you believe he was trying to put a competitive team on the field last year - and while being prudent, also believed he had a quality product - then the Jets are in a lot of trouble...Because under that belief - he's been an unmitigated disaster.

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I am not defending Adam Gase.  He sucked.  I was wrong.  I own it.

But I am highly unhappy with the hypocrisy being shown towards one Joe Douglas.  All the Gase-haters had such an itchy trigger finger with the head coach after 4 measly games but are giving the GM every benefit of the doubt.  When will he feel the fan heat?  After 4 years?  5? 

We have lost more impact players than we have gained.  And it takes no Ozzy Newsome rocket scientist to figure out that you can build draft capital and stockpile cap dollars if you let all your good players walk and replace them with 25 nobodies on one-year deals.  I'm done with the teardown, and I am unconvinced that this guy is capable of building it up.

The next 7 weeks are everything to Joe Douglas.  If we have a mediocre FA period and a meh draft, I expect the planes and the billboards.  

SAR I

We'll all be watching what JD does. Absolutely agree.  But I see zero hypocrisy. Gase came in with a horrendous history in the same position elsewhere and continued the same downward trajectory that had began in his prior HC stint.  JD  is literally still in his sophomore season as a GM.  Apples/Oranges

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Most Jet fans are the biggest whining cry babies in the league..LOL Most called Leo a bust (Just like with Q) now JD was a idiot for trading him like they called for?? And of course we should have kept the Prez and paid him 18 million.. They put the silly into the silly season..:soapbox:

I dont hear many people saying JD was an idiot.  It is near unanimous that JD did very well in the Leo trade.  Just because one sour-grapes-Gase poster is crying "hypocrisy" doesn't make it so and doesn't mean that everyone else is chiming in.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

We'll all be watching what JD does. Absolutely agree.  But I see zero hypocrisy. Gase came in with a horrendous history in the same position elsewhere and continued the same downward trajectory that had began in his prior HC stint.  JD  is literally still in his sophomore season as a GM.  Apples/Oranges

The logic is that because Gase sucked in his first job he was going to suck in his second.  So since Douglas had a bad second year it stands to reason he is going to have a bad third.

I hope for the best.  But if it doesn't happen, I expect planes and billboards.

SAR I

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes.  I had hoped that hiring an experienced head coach would be to our benefit after a parade of rookie disasters.

At this point I am numb to the whole thing.  I've never been an offseason guy, I don't like the draft or fetishing college boys, and just want to get to July already.  Going to fire up the convertible, put the top down in today's 60 degree temperatures, and let my frustrations out on some German engineering.

SAR I

Hell yeah, watch out for near sighted idiots in cross walks. 

• Haha 1

LOL at those who think it was a mistake letting Leo go.

If Leo is still here, and the Jets were the ones franchising him, you'd all be losing your minds. Especially if it meant Marcus Maye would be a free agent. Leo is not worth the spend, period. He'll revert back to invisible again next season. Book it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The logic is that because Gase sucked in his first job he was going to suck in his second.  So since Douglas had a bad second year it stands to reason he is going to have a bad third.

SAR I

Just a flat out terrible analogy. But if you like it, be my guest.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Most fans hate Gase, SAR plays the face to be in the minority.

Most fans love Joe Douglas, SAR plays heel to be in the minoriity.

I love it but the only problem is SAR behavior is so predictable is really doesnt have any juice anymore.  Oh well.

• Sympathy 1