Sam Darnold never had a chance to look good. He was set-up to fail: Let's surround this kid with A+ fire power.

Maybe you havent read information like this -----Darnold’s 63.1 PFF grade since 2018 ranks dead last among 32 qualifying quarterbacks. Even when isolating for clean-pocket dropbacks in an attempt to mitigate some of the poor pass protection he’s had, his 76.2 passing grade without pressure sits ahead of only Mitchell Trubisky among qualifiers.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

Sam Darnold is not little red riding hood. He played like sh*t for 3 years and misses games. He was part of the problem. The same issues he had at USC (turnovers/poor decision making, terrible footwork) he brought with him to the NFL and he didn't fix them.

yea, and the twink from Mormonville will be muuuuuch better.

• Thumb Down 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

So we shouldn’t have expected the #3 pick in the draft to show signs of greatness because his supporting staff sucked, yet 56 year old Joe Flacco comes in and immediately has better chemistry with Mims and Perriman. Got it.

Funny. Mims best games were actually  when Darnold was QB and Perriman was so highly thought of he is playing on a different team.  

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And 99.9% of us fans (including myself) are guilty of not only:

A.) Expecting him to show signs of greatness (while surrounded by absolute crap, everywhere)

but also...

B.) Now wanting to run him out of town only 3 years later for one of either Fields/Wilson (before ever watching the kid play a single down of Football while surrounded by offensive fire power). 

• I've mocked his QB Rating. 

• I've made fun of his INTs. 

• I've pointed to his career losing record. 

Etc. 

I took my frustrations out on Sam. I'm guilty of that. 2-14 wasn't his fault. At all. 

Because what I've really been sick and tired of is watching an awful O-Line. How many O-Lineman outside of Becton have been considered as dominant O-Lineman? Be honest; He's quarterbacked behind absolute trash dating back to day one. 

I've been frustrated watching a dreadful WR/TE core too. Who has Sam even had to throw the football to? A former bust Perriman replacing Anderson? Outside of Crowder/Mims a bunch of stiffs for Sam throughout his first 3 years? Yeah. Right; that's disgusting. 

I've also been frustrated with having to watch washed up RBs like Bell and then should've been retired 5 years ago Frank Gore. And to make it worse I've had to watch Adam Gase call the plays and ram them into the heart of D-Lineman with HB dive calls 75% of the time: It was criminal. 

Lets watch JD and our new coach give Sam a chance, surrounded by A+ fire power; just as K.C, Buffalo, Baltimore and Cleveland have done for Mahomes, Allen, Jackson and Mayfield. 

Penei Sewell (#2 overall).

You think we love Mekhi Becton? Wait until you watch Sewell in Green and White. He's even better than Becton in pass protection. HOF potential for real. And Becton would maul @ RT; and we now (immediately) have two bookend future All-Pro OT's locked up for 10+ years. We just improved both LT & RT position(s) at the same time; with one pick: Sewell/Becton is the new Brick/Mangold. 

And Sam Darnold would love it. Because he'd have clean pocket from the outside with Sewell protecting his blind side and Becton dominating his right side. Sam can now look down field without having to worry about outside pass rushers causing havoc. Pass rushers like the Bosa brothers can no longer run away from Becton (without first running into Sewell) and vice versa. 

After 3 years of crap O-Line play, Sam Darnold deserves an OT duo of Sewell/Becton.  

Najee Harris (23rd overall, Seattle).

I'd love Travis Etienne too but Najee Harris is just one of my favorite RB prospects of All-Time. The way he demolished the SEC was nuts.

Pittsburgh picks right behind us: it's time to strike on a game changing and dynamic RB for Sam to fall back on. 

With Najee's powerful and aggressive style of run? Behind two animals in Sewell and Becton? A trio of Najee, Sewell and Highway 77? All running downhill on you @ the same time? Scary to think about. 

You give us a trio of Najee/Sewell/Becton and just the threat alone of a powerful (young) running game will immediately open up the passing game for Sam Darnold; and Najee is really awesome catching out of the backfield too: Frank Gore no more. 

We just turned Jamal Adams. A defensive Safety. Into a freak of nature RB; JD hits the jackpot here. 

Rondale Moore (2nd round pick):

I love Terrance Marshall Jr too but Rondale Moore reminds me of a Tyreek Hill type of playmaker @ WR. His speed is unreal. 

With Corey Davis and Denzel Mims working the outside, Rondale Moore working out of the slot is a problem. Because he's electric. And with Sam having time in the pocket in order to scan the field (Sewell/Becton) an explosive weapon in Rondale Moore could become a thing of beauty: Sam Darnold now has another HR threat (after losing Robby Anderson). 

Surrounded by all of this talent behind a new coaching staff and Chris Herndon Jr. will have a big opportunity come 2021. 

Corey Davis and an exciting Denzel Mims working the outside with both Rondale Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) and also Najee out of the backfield? Sam Darnold now has pass catching weapons galore (with time in the pocket and a run game too). 

QB: Sam Darnold (4th year). 

LT: Penei Sewell. 

RT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR 1: Corey Davis. 

Slot: Rondale Moore. 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

WR 4: Jamison Crowder. 

RB: Najee Harris. 

Now that's a freaking homegrown NFL offense that I'd LOVE to judge and evaluate Sam's max potential and true ability on come Sunday's (because for 3 years we've judged him behind absolute crap). 

We'll still need work on the interior O-Line but the good news is that we'll have two 3rd round picks and come 2022 another two 1st round picks in order to give both Sewell/Becton more O-Line firepower. 

We're all guilty of unleashing our Jets fan frustrations out on Sam; despite the fact that this kid was set-up to fail: And I hope to see this kid surrounded by A+ firepower on offense come 2021 (before his 5th year option). 

Prepare to get roasted. Zach Wilson already has a wing in canton y’know

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And 99.9% of us fans (including myself) are guilty of not only:

A.) Expecting him to show signs of greatness (while surrounded by absolute crap, everywhere)

but also...

B.) Now wanting to run him out of town only 3 years later for one of either Fields/Wilson (before ever watching the kid play a single down of Football while surrounded by offensive fire power). 

• I've mocked his QB Rating. 

• I've made fun of his INTs. 

• I've pointed to his career losing record. 

Etc. 

I took my frustrations out on Sam. I'm guilty of that. 2-14 wasn't his fault. At all. 

Because what I've really been sick and tired of is watching an awful O-Line. How many O-Lineman outside of Becton have been considered as dominant O-Lineman? Be honest; He's quarterbacked behind absolute trash dating back to day one. 

I've been frustrated watching a dreadful WR/TE core too. Who has Sam even had to throw the football to? A former bust Perriman replacing Anderson? Outside of Crowder/Mims a bunch of stiffs for Sam throughout his first 3 years? Yeah. Right; that's disgusting. 

I've also been frustrated with having to watch washed up RBs like Bell and then should've been retired 5 years ago Frank Gore. And to make it worse I've had to watch Adam Gase call the plays and ram them into the heart of D-Lineman with HB dive calls 75% of the time: It was criminal. 

Lets watch JD and our new coach give Sam a chance, surrounded by A+ fire power; just as K.C, Buffalo, Baltimore and Cleveland have done for Mahomes, Allen, Jackson and Mayfield. 

Penei Sewell (#2 overall).

You think we love Mekhi Becton? Wait until you watch Sewell in Green and White. He's even better than Becton in pass protection. HOF potential for real. And Becton would maul @ RT; and we now (immediately) have two bookend future All-Pro OT's locked up for 10+ years. We just improved both LT & RT position(s) at the same time; with one pick: Sewell/Becton is the new Brick/Mangold. 

And Sam Darnold would love it. Because he'd have clean pocket from the outside with Sewell protecting his blind side and Becton dominating his right side. Sam can now look down field without having to worry about outside pass rushers causing havoc. Pass rushers like the Bosa brothers can no longer run away from Becton (without first running into Sewell) and vice versa. 

After 3 years of crap O-Line play, Sam Darnold deserves an OT duo of Sewell/Becton.  

Najee Harris (23rd overall, Seattle).

I'd love Travis Etienne too but Najee Harris is just one of my favorite RB prospects of All-Time. The way he demolished the SEC was nuts.

Pittsburgh picks right behind us: it's time to strike on a game changing and dynamic RB for Sam to fall back on. 

With Najee's powerful and aggressive style of run? Behind two animals in Sewell and Becton? A trio of Najee, Sewell and Highway 77? All running downhill on you @ the same time? Scary to think about. 

You give us a trio of Najee/Sewell/Becton and just the threat alone of a powerful (young) running game will immediately open up the passing game for Sam Darnold; and Najee is really awesome catching out of the backfield too: Frank Gore no more. 

We just turned Jamal Adams. A defensive Safety. Into a freak of nature RB; JD hits the jackpot here. 

Rondale Moore (2nd round pick):

I love Terrance Marshall Jr too but Rondale Moore reminds me of a Tyreek Hill type of playmaker @ WR. His speed is unreal. 

With Corey Davis and Denzel Mims working the outside, Rondale Moore working out of the slot is a problem. Because he's electric. And with Sam having time in the pocket in order to scan the field (Sewell/Becton) an explosive weapon in Rondale Moore could become a thing of beauty: Sam Darnold now has another HR threat (after losing Robby Anderson). 

Surrounded by all of this talent behind a new coaching staff and Chris Herndon Jr. will have a big opportunity come 2021. 

Corey Davis and an exciting Denzel Mims working the outside with both Rondale Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) and also Najee out of the backfield? Sam Darnold now has pass catching weapons galore (with time in the pocket and a run game too). 

QB: Sam Darnold (4th year). 

LT: Penei Sewell. 

RT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR 1: Corey Davis. 

Slot: Rondale Moore. 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

WR 4: Jamison Crowder. 

RB: Najee Harris. 

Now that's a freaking homegrown NFL offense that I'd LOVE to judge and evaluate Sam's max potential and true ability on come Sunday's (because for 3 years we've judged him behind absolute crap). 

We'll still need work on the interior O-Line but the good news is that we'll have two 3rd round picks and come 2022 another two 1st round picks in order to give both Sewell/Becton more O-Line firepower. 

We're all guilty of unleashing our Jets fan frustrations out on Sam; despite the fact that this kid was set-up to fail: And I hope to see this kid surrounded by A+ firepower on offense come 2021 (before his 5th year option). 

I don't get it. I was as big of a fan of Sam as anyone, and yet he showed over and over that he just is not developing as a QB and frankly he is just not very good. The biggest reason he was drafted so high was his abilities to make plays happen when a play breaks down and his exceptional accuracy throwing while moving both left and right. And he still has that. But he has not developed at all as a player  who can work within the structure and timing of an offense. He has not developed in recognizing defenses and exploiting matchups. He is still routinely fooled by defenses. And he has maybe the worst deep ball in the NFL. I see no logical reason at this point to expect him to improve. It is just wish fulfillment.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't get it. I was as big of a fan of Sam as anyone, and yet he showed over and over that he just is not developing as a QB and frankly he is just not very good. The biggest reason he was drafted so high was his abilities to make plays happen when a play breaks down and his exceptional accuracy throwing while moving both left and right. And he still has that. But he has not developed at all as a player  who can work within the structure and timing of an offense. He has not developed in recognizing defenses and exploiting matchups. He is still routinely fooled by defenses. And he has maybe the worst deep ball in the NFL. I see no logical reason at this point to expect him to improve. It is just wish fulfillment.

Good post. 

If Sam can fix his turnover machinery, he would be usable.  But right now, coaches have to conservatize the offense (Gore up the middle) to protect against the turnover. 

Our game plan is limited to get a lead, protect the ball and win with a 20-17 game with 200 yards passing.

I'll give Sam credit for fixing his fumbles last year.  That was a positive.

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Funny. Mims best games were actually  when Darnold was QB and Perriman was so highly thought of he is playing on a different team.  

Darnold targeted Mims 11 times in four December games. Perriman might be a jag but funny how much better he looked with Flacco.  Except for Sam’s security blankee Crowder, he did nothing to make players around him better. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

Good post. 

If Sam can fix his turnover machinery, he would be usable.  But right now, coaches have to conservatize the offense (Gore up the middle) to protect against the turnover. 

Our game script is limited to get a lead, protect the ball and win with a 20-17 game with 200 yards passing.

I'll give Sam credit for fixing his fumbles last year.  That was a positive.

Yeah, he fixed the fumbling right away. Early on he seemed super coachable, but to be honest he is sort of like Geno doing the same bad things over and over and never really learning. I am not even sure Darnold is better than Geno at this point. There is no question that the hiring of Gase was a monumentally stupid decision -even Gase at his meme worthy initial press conference said he had never worked with a young QB before. I mean that should have been criteria A for the HC. Who has developed young QBs? Then go get that guy. And Gase just ruined Sam. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Go look up the stats. Longest pass is Darnold, most receptions in a game is Darnold, most yards in a game is Darnold

Most yards is week 11 vs. Chargers, Flacco, and 2 of 3 games with the most yards are with Flacco.  Best YPC is Flacco.  Most first downs is Flacco.  As for most receptions, it's 4, which he had in multiple games.

But, yes, he did have his longest completion with Darnold.

This is not a strong case for Darnold not being terrible.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad we've reached the wepinz phase of the argument. While neither the roster nor coaching has done Darnold any favors he's also not making good decisions or throws too often. The same mistakes he was making in college are still being made now. Putting him around better talent should make him look better but it's not changing his shortcomings. The team will always have to overcome the QB's bonehead plays which is going to make it hard to be a seriously competitive team and requires the roster to fire on every other cylinder. Basically, do we want to revisit the Sanchez era and does the decade that followed feel good enough to hope Douglas can build all the pieces at once to get that done?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

You cannot say a guy sucks a thousand times, then get to start a thread defending him. 

I'm a Sam fan and I don't want you on my side. gtfo. 

You can be a Sam fan and recognize he has sucked.  As an example.  I'm a Jets fan.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Darnold targeted Mims 11 times in four December games. Perriman might be a jag but funny how much better he looked with Flacco.  Except for Sam’s security blankee Crowder, he did nothing to make players around him better. 

You have to be kidding. Perriman has been a disappointment  ever since he joined the NFL. Did you expect him to make Barrios a legit WR who btw out played Mims and Perriman last season. There is no doubt Sam did not help the team the way he played. Last season he played as bad as any QB I ever saw  but to blame him because the rest of the team sucked? Are you freaking serious? 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Most yards is week 11 vs. Chargers, Flacco, and 2 of 3 games with the most yards are with Flacco.  Best YPC is Flacco.  Most first downs is Flacco.  As for most receptions, it's 4, which he had in multiple games.

I'm talking about in regards to Mims. Flacco outplayed Sam in the two games he played late in the season. Flacco also scored about a total of like 16 points in the other two games where he played with the same garbage Sam had been playing with. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You have to be kidding. Perriman has been a disappointment  ever since he joined the NFL. Did you expect him to make Barrios a legit WR who btw out played Mims and Perriman last season. There is no doubt Sam did not help the team the way he played. Last season he played as bad as any QB I ever saw  but to blame him because the rest of the team sucked? Are you freaking serious? 

Your reading comprehension is horrendous. Flacco had the WRs looking better than Sam did. A good, or even average, QB makes the rest of the offense look better. Flacco didn’t play great by any means but he played better than Sam

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm talking about in regards to Mims. Flacco outplayed Sam in the two games he played late in the season. Flacco also scored about a total of like 16 points in the other two games where he played with the same garbage Sam had been playing with. 

I'm speaking about Mims as well.  His best game was against the Chargers, with Flacco.  2/3 of his best games were with Flacco.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Your reading comprehension is horrendous. Flacco had the WRs looking better than Sam did. A good, or even average, QB makes the rest of the offense look better. Flacco didn’t play great by any means but he played better than Sam

Ok, so you claim Flacco made WR's on the Jets better.  Did he make Barrios and Hogan look better during his first two starts? who were the WR's Sam played with to start the season? 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

After reexamination of the per game stats, I would say the difference  between the two are negligible. 

I mean, that's fine.  But, it doesn't change that 2/3 of his best games were with Flacco.

More importantly, that we're having this conversation, wherein Flacco vs. Darnold is in any way a meaningful discussion, means it's time to move on from Darnold, no?

• Post of the Week 3

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The only times our offense looked semi functionable all season were the games Flacco started 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, that's fine.  But, it doesn't change that 2/3 of his best games were with Flacco.

More importantly, that we're having this conversation, wherein Flacco vs. Darnold is in any way a meaningful discussion, means it's time to move on from Darnold, no?

Oh yes, I fully agree the bell has tolled on Darnold

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I'm speaking about Mims as well.  His best game was against the Chargers, with Flacco.  2/3 of his best games were with Flacco.

Never mind as a percentage of his games. 

Like saying baseball player A got 1 hit and player B got 2 hits, while ignoring that player A had 7 at-bats and player B had only 2.

Darnold had more than 3x as many opportunities to have a "best game" or "longest pass" with Mims because he had 7 starts to Flacco's 2 with Mims playing.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, ncjetman said:

there’s nothing ignorant about this thread - you may disagree but everything op said can be reasonably argued and i for one agree 100% 

Explain why 35 year old Joe Flacco looked fine and Perriman and Mims thrived, despite all of them being in the exact same situation as Darnold.  

Sam Darnold is objectively bad at football.  Surrounding him with good talent and coaching would just leave you with good talent, good coaching, and a bad QB.  Just like Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith before him, who were argued by some to be secretly good QB's in bad spots too.  They weren't.  Nor is Darnold.

• Upvote 1