Sam Darnold never had a chance to look good. He was set-up to fail: Let's surround this kid with A+ fire power.

And 99.9% of us fans (including myself) are guilty of not only:

A.) Expecting him to show signs of greatness (while surrounded by absolute crap, everywhere)

but also...

B.) Now wanting to run him out of town only 3 years later for one of either Fields/Wilson (before ever watching the kid play a single down of Football while surrounded by offensive fire power). 

• I've mocked his QB Rating. 

• I've made fun of his INTs. 

• I've pointed to his career losing record. 

Etc. 

I took my frustrations out on Sam. I'm guilty of that. 2-14 wasn't his fault. At all. 

Because what I've really been sick and tired of is watching an awful O-Line. How many O-Lineman outside of Becton have been considered as dominant O-Lineman? Be honest; He's quarterbacked behind absolute trash dating back to day one. 

I've been frustrated watching a dreadful WR/TE core too. Who has Sam even had to throw the football to? A former bust Perriman replacing Anderson? Outside of Crowder/Mims a bunch of stiffs for Sam throughout his first 3 years? Yeah. Right; that's disgusting. 

I've also been frustrated with having to watch washed up RBs like Bell and then should've been retired 5 years ago Frank Gore. And to make it worse I've had to watch Adam Gase call the plays and ram them into the heart of D-Lineman with HB dive calls 75% of the time: It was criminal. 

Lets watch JD and our new coach give Sam a chance, surrounded by A+ fire power; just as K.C, Buffalo, Baltimore and Cleveland have done for Mahomes, Allen, Jackson and Mayfield. 

Penei Sewell (#2 overall).

You think we love Mekhi Becton? Wait until you watch Sewell in Green and White. He's even better than Becton in pass protection. HOF potential for real. And Becton would maul @ RT; and we now (immediately) have two bookend future All-Pro OT's locked up for 10+ years. We just improved both LT & RT position(s) at the same time; with one pick: Sewell/Becton is the new Brick/Mangold. 

And Sam Darnold would love it. Because he'd have clean pocket from the outside with Sewell protecting his blind side and Becton dominating his right side. Sam can now look down field without having to worry about outside pass rushers causing havoc. Pass rushers like the Bosa brothers can no longer run away from Becton (without first running into Sewell) and vice versa. 

After 3 years of crap O-Line play, Sam Darnold deserves an OT duo of Sewell/Becton.  

Najee Harris (23rd overall, Seattle).

I'd love Travis Etienne too but Najee Harris is just one of my favorite RB prospects of All-Time. The way he demolished the SEC was nuts.

Pittsburgh picks right behind us: it's time to strike on a game changing and dynamic RB for Sam to fall back on. 

With Najee's powerful and aggressive style of run? Behind two animals in Sewell and Becton? A trio of Najee, Sewell and Highway 77? All running downhill on you @ the same time? Scary to think about. 

You give us a trio of Najee/Sewell/Becton and just the threat alone of a powerful (young) running game will immediately open up the passing game for Sam Darnold; and Najee is really awesome catching out of the backfield too: Frank Gore no more. 

We just turned Jamal Adams. A defensive Safety. Into a freak of nature RB; JD hits the jackpot here. 

Rondale Moore (2nd round pick):

I love Terrance Marshall Jr too but Rondale Moore reminds me of a Tyreek Hill type of playmaker @ WR. His speed is unreal. 

With Corey Davis and Denzel Mims working the outside, Rondale Moore working out of the slot is a problem. Because he's electric. And with Sam having time in the pocket in order to scan the field (Sewell/Becton) an explosive weapon in Rondale Moore could become a thing of beauty: Sam Darnold now has another HR threat (after losing Robby Anderson). 

Surrounded by all of this talent behind a new coaching staff and Chris Herndon Jr. will have a big opportunity come 2021. 

Corey Davis and an exciting Denzel Mims working the outside with both Rondale Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) and also Najee out of the backfield? Sam Darnold now has pass catching weapons galore (with time in the pocket and a run game too). 

QB: Sam Darnold (4th year). 

LT: Penei Sewell. 

RT: Mekhi Becton. 

WR 1: Corey Davis. 

Slot: Rondale Moore. 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

WR 4: Jamison Crowder. 

RB: Najee Harris. 

Now that's a freaking homegrown NFL offense that I'd LOVE to judge and evaluate Sam's max potential and true ability on come Sunday's (because for 3 years we've judged him behind absolute crap). 

We'll still need work on the interior O-Line but the good news is that we'll have two 3rd round picks and come 2022 another two 1st round picks in order to give both Sewell/Becton more O-Line firepower. 

We're all guilty of unleashing our Jets fan frustrations out on Sam; despite the fact that this kid was set-up to fail: And I hope to see this kid surrounded by A+ firepower on offense come 2021 (before his 5th year option). 

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

A.) Expecting him to show signs of greatness (while surrounded by absolute crap, everywhere)

but also...

B.) Now wanting to run him out of town only 3 years later for one of either Fields/Wilson (before ever watching the kid play a single down of Football while surrounded by offensive fire power). 

Etc. 

I took my frustrations out on Sam. I'm guilty of that. 2-14 wasn't his fault. At all. 

Because what I've really been sick and tired of is watching an awful O-Line. How many O-Lineman outside of Becton have been considered as dominant O-Lineman? Be honest; He's quarterbacked behind absolute trash dating back to day one. 

I've been frustrated watching a dreadful WR/TE core too. Who has Sam even had to throw the football to? A former bust Perriman replacing Anderson? Outside of Crowder/Mims a bunch of stiffs for Sam throughout his first 3 years? Yeah. Right; that's disgusting. 

I've also been frustrated with having to watch washed up RBs like Bell and then should've been retired 5 years ago Frank Gore. And to make it worse I've had to watch Adam Gase call the plays and ram them into the heart of D-Lineman with HB dive calls 75% of the time: It was criminal. 

Lets watch JD and our new coach give Sam a chance, surrounded by A+ fire power; just as K.C, Buffalo, Baltimore and Cleveland have done for Mahomes, Allen, Jackson and Mayfield. 

You think we love Mekhi Becton? Wait until you watch Sewell in Green and White. He's even better than Becton in pass protection. HOF potential for real. And Becton would maul @ RT; and we now (immediately) have two bookend future All-Pro OT's locked up for 10+ years. We just improved both LT & RT position(s) at the same time; with one pick: Sewell/Becton is the new Brick/Mangold. 

And Sam Darnold would love it. Because he'd have clean pocket from the outside with Sewell protecting his blind side and Becton dominating his right side. Sam can now look down field without having to worry about outside pass rushers causing havoc. Pass rushers like the Bosa brothers can no longer run away from Becton (without first running into Sewell) and vice versa. 

After 3 years of crap O-Line play, Sam Darnold deserves an OT duo of Sewell/Becton.  

I'd love Travis Etienne too but Najee Harris is just one of my favorite RB prospects of All-Time. The way he demolished the SEC was nuts.

Pittsburgh picks right behind us: it's time to strike on a game changing and dynamic RB for Sam to fall back on. 

With Najee's powerful and aggressive style of run? Behind two animals in Sewell and Becton? A trio of Najee, Sewell and Highway 77? All running downhill on you @ the same time? Scary to think about. 

You give us a trio of Najee/Sewell/Becton and just the threat alone of a powerful (young) running game will immediately open up the passing game for Sam Darnold; and Najee is really awesome catching out of the backfield too: Frank Gore no more. 

We just turned Jamal Adams. A defensive Safety. Into a freak of nature RB; JD hits the jackpot here. 

I love Terrance Marshall Jr too but Rondale Moore reminds me of a Tyreek Hill type of playmaker @ WR. His speed is unreal. 

With Corey Davis and Denzel Mims working the outside, Rondale Moore working out of the slot is a problem. Because he's electric. And with Sam having time in the pocket in order to scan the field (Sewell/Becton) an explosive weapon in Rondale Moore could become a thing of beauty: Sam Darnold now has another HR threat (after losing Robby Anderson). 

Surrounded by all of this talent behind a new coaching staff and Chris Herndon Jr. will have a big opportunity come 2021. 

Corey Davis and an exciting Denzel Mims working the outside with both Rondale Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) and also Najee out of the backfield? Sam Darnold now has pass catching weapons galore (with time in the pocket and a run game too). 

Now that's a freaking homegrown NFL offense that I'd LOVE to judge and evaluate Sam's max potential and true ability on come Sunday's (because for 3 years we've judged him behind absolute crap). 

We'll still need work on the interior O-Line but the good news is that we'll have two 3rd round picks and come 2022 another two 1st round picks in order to give both Sewell/Becton more O-Line firepower. 

We're all guilty of unleashing our Jets fan frustrations out on Sam; despite the fact that this kid was set-up to fail: And I hope to see this kid surrounded by A+ firepower on offense come 2021 (before his 5th year option). 

If you really want to set up Sam with firepower then you need to trade down from the #2 spot a acquire more picks... there are several very good ot's in this draft that can play the RT position... Becton stays at LT.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

If you really want to set up Sam with firepower then you need to trade down from the #2 spot a acquire more picks... there are several very good ot's in this draft that can play the RT position... Becton stays at LT.
This ... what you are essentially saying is that we will win despite Sam's deficiencies ... not that he will bring wins. Yes a QB needs talent around him ... but he should be elevating everyone else on the team ... his team ... not the other team.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This ... what you are essentially saying is that we will win despite Sam's deficiencies ... not that he will bring wins. Yes a QB needs talent around him ... but he should be elevating everyone else on the team ... his team ... not the other team.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Every QB has deficiencies but the better talent you surround him with the less apt these deficiencies are likely to emerge. 

• Sympathy 1

there’s nothing ignorant about this thread - you may disagree but everything op said can be reasonably argued and i for one agree 100% - you’re entitled to disagree but i’d love to see sam have a shot with the jets in a real offense with real ol and some real weapons - one thing i disagree with is sewell at 2 - if we stick with sam we trade out of 2 - i’m pretty sure jd wants mega picks to rebuild with

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

but also...

Etc. 

I got an idea. Let's do another thread on keeping Sam, because we love him.

We need a fresh start and so does Darnold. The "What if" (normally used in Microsoft Excel)  should no longer be applied to Sam. Consistency, decision-making-process (taking a sack, not forcing INTs) and intuition (screening the field for open receivers) are natural intangibles that can't be taught and they are Sam's glaring weaknesses.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Everyone knows Defense Wins Championships the Jets should now draft all O.  The goal in this draft is to pump up Sams numbers before his contract year.  What better way than to surround him with A+ talent and have him playing a majority of his snaps in garbage time.    We can go 2 and 14 and Sam can be the 25th best QB in the NFL based on his stat line.  Good plan DFC.  

2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

You cannot say a guy sucks a thousand times, then get to start a thread defending him. 

I'm a Sam fan and I don't want you on my side. gtfo. 

There's no such thing as being a fan of players. You're a fan of a team and also who made you the president of this Darnold fan club that decides who's in and who's out?

I like Sam as well, but after months of thinking about this, I've started to come around to the idea that starting this staff with a reset QB on a rookie deal is the way to go unless they truly want Sam. I know there's a post about that. But, unlike others that might fall off the cliff, if Sam is chosen to QB the JETS, then I'm good with that as long as we stock up on Oline in the draft.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

There's no such thing as being a fan of players. You're a fan of a team and also who made you the president of this Darnold fan club that decides who's in and who's out?

I agree. Jets first over any player. But man when a guy litters the board with Sam sucks over and over and over again, it's utterly ridiculous to start a thread 180 on the other side. 

I can't get behind Sam any longer.... His deficiencies are so obvious... He never made any of the bad situations he was in even an iota better.

That being said the picks are the worst part of the OP. 

Okay great everyone loves Sewell.... Kid had played a year and a half of college ball and 70% of the sports world is creaming their pants and fitting him for his golden jacket..... If you are not taking a QB Trade down.

Then follow that up with RB (luxury pick) and moore ( a plus athlete but a 5'7" slot receiver)

I would lose any faith I have in JD if this was our draft.

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

You may want to talk to someone under 35.. because this is a not true for a lot of younger fans.

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

but also...

Etc. 

Honestly, after seeing how JD goes about signing FA, give Sam his 5th year option and keep him on the team. We can still draft a QB while he is here. We have to spend the money on someone. Yes, he is a huge risk and under circumstances where we would be signing players that need big contracts I would be against it, but we aren't  and we are not giving out big contracts to resign our own players for at least another 3 years and we just let a bunch of players that might be due some money walk (Basham, Jenkins, and some others). He clearly isn't  spending it this year,  and maybe not next year.  Why not find out once and for all if Sam is a FQB.

• Sympathy 1