Would JD keep Sam and let him walk for nothing?

Just now, genot said:

The Falcons could be the team to watch. Especially if they're not sure who San Fran might draft. They won't have to give up that much too move up. And they have a veteran that can hold the fort for a year.

The problem is that they could just sit there and take Fields, Lance, or Jones (2 of the 3 will be there). So, they would really have to love Wilson over everyone else to give up significant draft capital for two spots. Seems unlikely but not impossible. 

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Comp picks are great but if Sam bombs another year and we release him and he signs onto a practice squad would we got one?

Oh, I posted "low comp pick" as a negative. I would rather trade him and get the most value I could for him now. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Right so when we cut him we send a message to the league that they can't trade with us because we have no sense of NFL value.  

It's  what is more valuable to the team. Playing Sam, seeing g if he has anything while a rookie sits and learns for a year isn't  something that has no value. Sam can still be extended during the season. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is that they could just sit there and take Fields, Lance, or Jones (2 of the 3 will be there). So, they would really have to love Wilson over everyone else to give up significant draft capital for two spots. Seems unlikely but not impossible. 

I think they would trade up for Fields. A Georgia native. Not knowing for sure who San Fran is targeting, they would have to move up if they are targeting a particular QB 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

It's  what is more valuable to the team. Playing Sam, seeing g if he has anything while a rookie sits and learns for a year isn't  something that has no value. Sam can still be extended during the season. 

That's not value that's risk vs. reward.  Seems really high risk with very low reward.

22 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Tv Show News GIF by CBBC

WE DO NOT GET A THIRD ROUND PICK FOR SAM IF HE WALKS.... 

Check your math people... The comp pick is based on the contract they sign in free agency.... If they sign say a 1 year 2.5 mil contract you may get a 7th rounder ... You may get nothing... (See: Chicago Bears/ Trubisky)

JFC

Frustrated Head GIF

Mitchell trubisky is yet another human example of why drafting a qb at 2 is dumb 

And he made a pro bowl somehow. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, genot said:

What if they grade out equally. Yes. If one QB is clearly ahead of the other. No problems. If they both are impressive, that could create issues. QB controversy isn't an issue that Saleh or JD would want to deal with.

If they're close through preseason then I start Sam, give the rookie an opportunity to adjust to NFL. That also means either they both suck in which case, it's better to start Sam and give the rookie time to develop, or they're both good, and I'd still go with Sam to:

1. Pump Sam's value

2. Let the rookie sit and see how to adjust to the NFL.

12 minutes ago, genot said:

I think they would trade up for Fields. A Georgia native. Not knowing for sure who San Fran is targeting, they would have to move up if they are targeting a particular QB 

Eh, I don't see it. 

They can very likely get Fields by just staying at 4. I just don't think a trade-up makes a lot of sense for these teams. 

58 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh please. Alex Smith will play well for 3 or 4 games and then get hurt. Ueah, he would beat out both Sam and the rookie as the starter in an open competition  but the guy is glass. 

Also, if Sam plays as badly as you are afraid he will, the rookie will beat him out unless you expect Sam lights it up in preseason and then sucks in the real games. 

I believe bringing back Sam would have a negative impact on the development of Zach.  I believe someone like Alex Smith would have a positive impact on the development of Zach Wilson.

I honestly couldn't care less about wins and losses this year - developing our young QB should be the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Drafting a QB at 2 is dumb because the Bears picked a mediocre QB at 2 four years ago? I'm not following. 

Every qb taken at 2 since Donovan McNabb has been a bust 

And most of the QBs taken before him (mirer, leaf) as well 

It's a historically bad place to try and solve qb problems 

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I believe bringing back Sam would have a negative impact on the development of Zach.  I believe someone like Alex Smith would have a positive impact on the development of Zach Wilson.

I honestly couldn't care less about wins and losses this year - developing our young QB should be the only thing that matters.

How vulnerable must Zach wilson be/underrated is darnold that team wilson does not want him to compete with darnold? I agree with by the way. It would divide the locker room. But if Zach wilson was half as good as his hype, he'd dominate darnold in practice 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

How vulnerable must Zach wilson be/underrated is darnold that team wilson does not want him to compete with darnold? I agree with by the way. It would divide the locker room. But if Zach wilson was half as good as his hype, he'd dominate darnold in practice 

Zach isn't vulnerable.  He's a football junkie and totally focused.  He will steamroll Sam.  Sam is irrelevant at this point to the NY Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Every qb taken at 2 since Donovan McNabb has been a bust 

And most of the QBs taken before him (mirer, leaf) as well 

It's a historically bad place to try and solve qb problems 

Eh, trends like that don't mean much, IMO. Those QBs were all taken under varying circumstances. For example, some were the first QB taken overall, others were not. 

Also, for what it's worth, I personally wouldn't call Wentz a bust. He was an MVP candidate before his injury and hasn't been the same since. I also think there is a chance he rebounds in Indy. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

You can’t cut him, because then you get really nothing and still have to pay him $5mm

Trading him for anything still costs saves his compensation, so that could happen.  And then you still have to pay a back up. 

Unless we get at least a third, I would keep him, try to fix him, let him back up help Wilson and try and trade later or just get comp pick, which could be decent 

we cut Lev Bell and got nothing. and i bet we all thought we get SOMETHING for him.

46 minutes ago, genot said:

What if they grade out equally. Yes. If one QB is clearly ahead of the other. No problems. If they both are impressive, that could create issues. QB controversy isn't an issue that Saleh or JD would want to deal with.

If they grade out equally, we made a huge mistake in who we picked, wouldn't you say?

I presume we all expect that whomever we draft at #2 at QB to be a huge upgrade over Darnold, right? 

Thats the primary reason we've drafting a QB, isn't it?

Tie goes to the incumbent.  The rookie has to be better to get the job.

2 hours ago, jbt said:

unless you can get a 2nd round pick or use him with another pick to move up just keep him.

Kind of reminds of where you go to buy a car, and the dealership offers you like peanuts for your trade in.  You know it needs a lot of work but you really don't want to sink alot more money to fix it up.  I always trade because that's more on your ins, less room in the driveway.  

We have to trade Sam in because he is going to cost way more than he is worth to us after this year.  

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Getting anyone for Sam at this point is a net positive.  Spending anymore capital on Sam is just more sunk cost at this point.  

Look, it is contingent on what the market value is for a young QB with starter potential.  Don't  try to tell me Sam's full potential  has been realized  on the Jets. If I wanted to sabotage  a young QB, I wouldn't  do anything different than what the Jets did to Sam. If you take the low ball offer, you will never get any real offers going forward. Everyone e will expect you to cave.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If they grade out equally, we made a huge mistake in who we picked, wouldn't you say?

I presume we all expect that whomever we draft at #2 at QB to be a huge upgrade over Darnold, right? 

Thats the primary reason we've drafting a QB, isn't it?

Tie goes to the incumbent.  The rookie has to be better to get the job.

Well. Of course i agree with you. Nothing, though should surprise us when it comes to sport.

• Haha 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Look, it is contingent on what the market value is for a young QB with starter potential.  Don't  try to tell me Sam's full potential  has been realized  on the Jets. If I wanted to sabotage  a young QB, I wouldn't  do anything different than what the Jets did to Sam. If you take the low ball offer, you will never get any real offers going forward. Everyone e will expect you to cave.

Take a look at what QB's who were better than Sam have returned.  We have examples.  Mitch Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Winston and Mariota.  Sam has been worse in his first 3 years than all 3 of them.  

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We have heard there are 8 teams asking about Sam and we have heard the Jets will be lucky to get a 4th for him. Does anyone think JD cares either way?

Personally I don't.  I think JD is looking at Sam the same way  he looked at Flacco, not my guy, if we get nothing for him it's not on me so Sam is probably  going to be on the team in 2021. This doesn't  mean JD doesn't  take a QB if he feels the guy on the board is the guy he wants  to attach his legacy to. For that matter, I personally  think he is not locked into one of these QB's, I think his first pick is going to be another OL. 

He may end up keeping Darnold after the draft. Maybe both Sam and the rookie QB look good in camp/preseason or maybe an injury to another QB makes a team more desperate and he can better return for Sam then.

There is no way the #2 pick will not be a qb. You can argue the Jets may still trade out (doubtful). But there is no way JD turned down the opportunity to get 3 first rounders plus so he can stay at 2 and draft an OL or WR.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I JD ends up drafting Wilson, sitting him and Sam lets say takes us to the playoffs (I seriously doubt this happens but just putting it out there) Sam get his extension and trades Wilson for a first round pick to a team that sucks. 

why would a team give a 1st rd pick for someone who cant beat out Sam Darnold.

he would look worst than Rosen. were lucky we get a 2 for him

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Take a look at what QB's who were better than Sam have returned.  We have examples.  Mitch Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Winston and Mariota.  Sam has been worse in his first 3 years than all 3 of them.  

And all 3 of the QB's you mentioned were not put in a position where you would have to be Montana or Elway to succeed.  

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

why would a team give a 1st rd pick for someone who cant beat out Sam Darnold.

he would look worst than Rosen. were lucky we get a 2 for him

I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't  your strong suit or do you not understand  what getting this garbage team to the playoffs means. 

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

He may end up keeping Darnold after the draft. Maybe both Sam and the rookie QB look good in camp/preseason or maybe an injury to another QB makes a team more desperate and he can better return for Sam then.

There is no way the #2 pick will not be a qb. You can argue the Jets may still trade out (doubtful). But there is no way JD turned down the opportunity to get 3 first rounders plus so he can stay at 2 and draft an OL or WR.

If we don't take a QB at we are trading down to say 8 and drafting an OL. 

That is what I meant. Not taking Sewell.

I think Sewell would be an amazing pick but not at 2

32 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And all 3 of the QB's you mentioned were not put in a position where you would have to be Montana or Elway to succeed.  

Actually they were all drafted onto bad teams with revolving doors of HC.  Chicago was a dumpster fire and still is.  Tampa Bay was 2 and 14 and so were the Titans. 

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Actually they were all drafted onto bad teams with revolving doors of HC.  Chicago was a dumpster fire and still is.  Tampa Bay was 2 and 14 and so were the Titans. 

Trubisjy had Robinson as his #1 WR and Howard as his RB.

Bortles had Robinson, Marquise Lee as WR and Mercedes Lewis TE

Winston had Cameron Brate TE Mike Evan WR, and Doug Martin RB

Mariota had Reshard Matthew's WR, Delaine Walker TE, and DeMarco Murray RB

Sam would probably like have sold his left nut to play with that kind of talent

• Upvote 1

Draft a quarterback at #2.

Decline Darnold's fifth year option.

Pencil Darnold in as starter Week 1.

Rookie quarterback takes over midway through season.

Darnold walks as a free agent and fetches the Jets a comp pick.

For once, the Jets should do things the right way and not throw a rookie quarterback into the fire from day 1. Let him sit, learn, absorb, and become acclimated to being a pro quarterback in the NFL for a few months.

Darnold is the perfect bridge quarterback. He's young, cheap, experienced, has potential upside, and has always been a good soldier. He will not be a malcontent or cause trouble. He will be playing for his next contract and next team. Everyone will know that Darnold is a placeholder and the rookie is the future. There will be no controversy.

If the Jets can get a first or second round pick for Darnold, they should take it and sign an alternative bridge quarterback. If not, keep him and execute the plan above.

Take the emotions out of it, and this is the logical thing to do.

• Upvote 1