Would JD keep Sam and let him walk for nothing?

We have heard there are 8 teams asking about Sam and we have heard the Jets will be lucky to get a 4th for him. Does anyone think JD cares either way?

Personally I don't.  I think JD is looking at Sam the same way  he looked at Flacco, not my guy, if we get nothing for him it's not on me so Sam is probably  going to be on the team in 2021. This doesn't  mean JD doesn't  take a QB if he feels the guy on the board is the guy he wants  to attach his legacy to. For that matter, I personally  think he is not locked into one of these QB's, I think his first pick is going to be another OL. 

• Upvote 3

I think the better question is...

Do you keep Darnold and draft another QB with the second pick?  Let them fight it out and see what is best for the Jets going forward.

You can still trade Sam during the season or even decide to accept his option for another year.

This all assumes the Jets do not trade down and include Sam in the deal, of course.

• Upvote 1

You can’t cut him, because then you get really nothing and still have to pay him $5mm

Trading him for anything still costs saves his compensation, so that could happen.  And then you still have to pay a back up. 

Unless we get at least a third, I would keep him, try to fix him, let him back up help Wilson and try and trade later or just get comp pick, which could be decent 

12 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

We are still going to need a backup qb, and there is not much out there, except Alex Smith. If you can’t get a 2, just keep him... his salary is ok, and we dont need the cap room..

He won't be the backup. He should start to hold down the fort until the offensive line is rebuilt and can prove it won't destroy Wilson. Sacrifice him. 

It is so hard for us to answer these types of questions without knowing what they think of Morgan and White. If they think Morgan is a good enough backup to win a couple games if Zack goes down then Darnold is way more expendable. 

My thought would be to take what you can get for Darnold, but I would not trade him outright. I would use him to swap picks and move up in the draft- especially at 8 - I would trade 23, 66 Darnold and a 2nd next year for 8. Gives Carolina a one year audition for Sam and more ammunition for Watson (who I think they will still pursue) next year.

Then sign Mullens for the QB room

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It is so hard for us to answer these types of questions without knowing what they think of Morgan and White. If they think Morgan is a good enough backup to win a couple games if Zack goes down then Darnold is way more expendable. 

My thought would be to take what you can get for Darnold, but I would not trade him outright. I would use him to swap picks and move up in the draft- especially at 8 - I would trade 23, 66 Darnold and a 2nd next year for 8. Gives Carolina a one year audition for Sam and more ammunition for Watson (who I think they will still pursue) next year.

Then sign Mullens for the QB room

I don't  think that would be enough. They would want next year's first

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Does bringing him back help Zach Wilson?

If the answer to that question is no - you don't.

Everything they do should be about one thing and one thing only - developing Zach Wilson.

The best thing for Zach is to be drafted by a different franchise 

Side note the floor is a 3rd because eventually he will garner a comp 3rd 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

If i'm Sam, im asking for my release if they draft a QB at #2, and im not traded. They finally start improving the talent level on offense, but it's not for him. To me, that's a real slap in the face.

I doubt that. It's not unprecedented that a team brings in a new QB while an incumbent is present. Sam will just roll with it. The worst QB of 2020 making demands is not a good look. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think it will be considerably less than a 3rd round pick, unless I am missing something:

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

The comp pick up would come from next years free agents vs next years losses 

If this year is any indication, they should get a pick because they are not signing big expensive names 

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I doubt that. It's not unprecedented that a team brings in a new QB while an incumbent is present. Sam will just roll with it. The worst QB of 2020 making demands is not a good look. 

He's human. Can you blame him for feeling slighted. Yes. He was the lowest ranked QB in 2020. Im sure he feels things would be different with an NFL level supporting cast, and coaching. It's something we've all talked about here. He could be right. I personally, would love to find out. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, genot said:

He's human. Can you blame him for feeling slighted. Yes. He was the lowest ranked QB in 2020. Im sure he feels things would be different with an NFL level supporting cast, and coaching. It's something we've all talked about here. He could be right. I personally, would love to find out. 

I'm with you on the latter point. I am so pissed we never got a legit look at Sam with any resemblance of talent playing with him. 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It depends on what Sam is signs for and who the Jets sign. It might be a 4th or whatever but there is a floor here 

Right, but Sam isn't getting a big contract, lol. He's signing a cheap, prove-yourself deal with whoever he signs with. And, as the chart lays out, the maximum compensation is a 3rd round pick, so it's going to be appreciably less than a 3rd. A 5th? A 6th?

The Jets should easily be able to get more in a trade for Sam than letting him walk. Easily. And, the other benefit to trading him is that the compensation is this year, not after next season. 

In SI's MMQB, there is a piece about the agreement that the 49'ers and Miami had for weeks coming up to Wilson's pro day. They had promised each other to keep the deal quiet, completely under the radar for weeks. Whomever approached Miami about dealing the 4th pick were told that Miami had an agreement in place with an undisclosed team. Another deal that was kept quiet in tandem with this deal was Miami's pre-existing deal with Howie Roseman and the Eagles... moving from 12 back up to six.

If three NFL franchises can keep two deals out of the  national NFL media for weeks, then it's possible that the Jets have a  deal in place.  For what? For the second pick ? For Darnold, if all of their top four guys are gone ? Who knows? while unlikely it is still a possibility.

It's likely going to be Wilson but Douglas moves deliberately, it paid off with Jamal Adams.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, genot said:

All he ever does is tell the world that Adam Gase is an awesome coach. I suspect he doesn't have as much confidence as you think he does. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I'm with you on the latter point. I am so pissed we never got a legit look at Sam with any resemblance of talent playing with him. 

It's a damn shame. It sounds corny. And is. JD told his family at the end of 2019, that help for Sam was on the way. 2020 comes. No Robby. Herndon is used as a inline blocker for the most part. And the o-line still sucked. His situation on the field got worse, not better.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah I get that but Herbet's OL was complete and utter sh*te too and he performed OK. I was as big of a Sam fan as anyone but I think the reality is that Sam is just not that good.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I doubt it.  JD would look really dumb 

I JD ends up drafting Wilson, sitting him and Sam lets say takes us to the playoffs (I seriously doubt this happens but just putting it out there) Sam get his extension and trades Wilson for a first round pick to a team that sucks. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, but Sam isn't getting a big contract, lol. He's signing a cheap, prove-yourself deal with whoever he signs with. And, as the chart lays out, the maximum compensation is a 3rd round pick, so it's going to be appreciably less than a 3rd. A 5th? A 6th?

The Jets should easily be able to get more in a trade for Sam than letting him walk. Easily. And, the other benefit to trading him is that the compensation is this year, not after next season. 

Cheap qb contracts are still like 8 mil per 

He's not getting the vet minimum