How many rookies do you envision Saleh starting?

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I don't think the draft is going to end up being as offensive heavy as many around here would like to see. I think JD is probably extremely inflexible when it comes his big board and player rankings. He doesn't strike me as someone thats going to be willing to reach much in order to fill a perceived need and I really don't expect him to waiver much on drafting by value over need. 

Unless the board just ends up dropping offensive BPA in our laps, I think there is very likely going to be picks where he selects D based on his value of that player over a offensive position we are all screaming for. 

There are a bunch of off-ball, coverage OLBs in this draft and we have a wide open hole at that spot, so Id envision one of our top 4 picks being a coverage OLB who can start day 1.  Jabril Cox and Pete Werner are my personal choices and both have enough experience to start day 1 next to someone like Mosley

• Upvote 2

What I would like to see.

Rookie Starters:

• #2 - Wilson
  • #23 - RT
  • #34 - RB
    • #66 - G/C (likely not to start the season but will get some playing time and step in.  We will have injuries)

What we're likely to see:

• #2 - Wilson
  • #23 - CB
  • #34 - G/C
    • #66 - LB - not edge (unlikely to start but will get plenty of playing time)

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It'd be tempting. Moving up to ~#7 would probably cost #23 and a 1 next year - effectively both Adams picks - and it's still probably not enough. A 3rd next year may or may not be enough, but it'd be close. That's way a lot for a TE.

It's a lot easier if he slipped to 9 but that doesn't look likely. Depends if enough teams in that draft area say, I don't care how great he looks; he's a TE and we need OL (or WR or QB) help much more. Detroit isn't taking him at 7. The question is who's up there who isn't locked in on Pitts or a QB, who'd be ok moving all the way down to 23?

Usually I'm not in favor of giving up all that for a non-QB (especially not for a TE), but we'd still have so many high picks, I hear everyone saying he's such an unusual talent, and not only plays a position the Jets should be hoping for a good enough rookie starter anyway, but figures be featured in this offense.

Yeah the Pitts thought comes from a few different angles. First of all, love him as a player. All the way back to last summer when I was looking at this TE class even before he broke out he was my guy. Then this huge season and confirming how crazy of an athlete he was in testing. Improving as a blocker last year. He’s an outstanding prospect.

Looking at the desire to support a young quarterback - tight ends are great for that anyway. Wilson threw to the tight end a lot in college, too. Beyond that, young quarterbacks really benefit from having a go-to player on offense. The Jets’ pass catchers are better but nobody I’d really label as that caliber player for the young QB. Pitts is someone who could be.

Then thinking about the style of offense, the Shanahan offense tends to scheme targets to one guy a lot as well. In SF that happened to be to a tight end, Kittle, so we know that can function in the passing game. Doesn’t need to be, it’s Adams in GB obviously. But the TE also fits in very neatly roster-construction wise.

This offense is going to be in two WR or less sets at least half the time. Group this year is already crowded with Davis, Mims, Crowder, and Cole. The hope also has to be that Davis and Mims, the only two signed for next year (and then two more after that), are the two guys who are going to be on the field a lot going forward. Davis should be fine, Mims needs to break out, but I don’t think they’re drafting someone to leapfrog him and keep one on the bench quite yet. Tight end, only Wesco and Griffin are signed after this year. I also think Pitts is a bigger upgrade over Herndon this year than someone like Chase is over the Mims/Cole/Crowder group and pushing Davis and Mims to secondary roles behind an alpha in Pitts suits all of them well.

Finally, with the early draft capital spent on Wilson I think they can afford to be flexible. No more bullets to leave in the chamber for a QB - he’ll get at least a couple years. And I think they can address what they need to this year without 23/34. Major needs aren’t premium positions besides edge which can be kicked down the curb. Can upgrade iOL very successfully with third round picks. The WR need is more part time slot receiver. Any drafted tackle is developmental. Fullback is a day three need, and outside zone RB would be as well. Zone corner is fine day 2/3. Off ball linebacker is fine day 3. So is safety depth.

I think it’s a pipe dream but it is possible he starts to slide a little. A package including next year’s Seattle first might be compelling for teams that don’t like this draft. Also 23/34 gets you to between 9 and 10 and needing a the equivalent of a mid third round pick to get to seven - the second round pick from Carolina next year is probably enough and maybe appealing for the future draft capital. It means they’re not picking again for a while but I’ve played around and they can really do  a good job getting guys who will play roles  and potentially develop into starters (even sticking to Joe Douglas’ day three love for captains) with nothing until 66. And that would mean two first round picks next year to address edge and whatever else slips between the cracks. Again, major pipe dream.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

That is short sighted.  Rookies haven't have any NFL conditioning so are at a huge disadvantage.  So, 2, & 23 probably start.  The rest of the top 100 ought to be rotational at worst.  After that it's pure depth and diamond in the rough types.

I want to see how much our year 2 guy improve with said conditioning under their belts.  (not to mention actual coaching)       

Our present team talent stinks and may be the worst in the league overall.

If you're rookies are no challenging for spots very soon that is a worry.

It is also very important to take your lumps and play these guys to see if they are any good and to give them experience.

We know  a lot more about some players in last years draft class than others.  Guys who played like Ashtyen Davis, Bryce Hall, Befton, Mims, Lamar jackson, Huff.  We somewhat know what we potentially have with these guys. Guys like Calrke, suniga, morgan we have no earthly clue.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What I would like to see.

Rookie Starters:

• #2 - Wilson
  • #23 - RT
  • #34 - RB
    • #66 - G/C (likely not to start the season but will get some playing time and step in.  We will have injuries)

What we're likely to see:

• #2 - Wilson
  • #23 - CB
  • #34 - G/C
    • #66 - LB - not edge (unlikely to start but will get plenty of playing time)

This. 

Not that they have a clue, but 8/10 mocks I see have us taking either a CB or Edge @23. I know we all want offense, offense, offense but there is likely going to be a big run on Oline between 10-23 and, like it or not, JD is going to stick to his values of players and not reach for a position and value at that point in the draft is likely going to be defense (if he doesn't trade out)

23 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not cumulative, but on each side of the ball. 

Nobody desires a meh offense. I'm sympathetic to furthering the goal of a dominant offense, which we all want. Going all-in on one side, with this many picks, would presumably lead to a lot of drafted rookies watching from the sideline.

Say the Jets took 5 players on offense in the first 6 picks, like many desire. How likely is it really to see Saleh/LaFleur start 4 rookies on offense this year (let alone 5 or more)? Even 3 - including a QB - is a lot to see on any team, and would most likely be 1 from each of 3 different position groups.

Put aside what you'd prefer Douglas did differently (I've got my own list); whether in FA, last year's draft, with Darnold, or whatever. Based on where the Jets are now, or say you just got hired as the GM right after the #2 pick was handed in (and Woody forbids you from trading him lol). 

With those picks, create your starting lineup on offense, from QB on down, including the guys/positions you want addressed early & throughout. 

11 starters. Which ones are realistically starting as rookies, and which ones are just more supportive roles (with the knowledge you might want to draft that position with an early/earlier pick next year)?

Only QB, IOL, and maybe a RB if drafted as one of the top 3 RBs in the draft will start. Jets will take at least 3 players on D in this draft some probably in the 1st 3-4 rounds.

4 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Only QB, IOL, and maybe a RB if drafted as one of the top 3 RBs in the draft will start. Jets will take at least 3 players on D in this draft some probably in the 1st 3-4 rounds.

Yeah I think that's the max, too. It's why - again, while I'm very sympathetic to the reason - I think drafting "all offense" is (to put it kindly) unrealistic.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Nobody desires a meh offense. I'm sympathetic to furthering the goal of a dominant offense, which we all want. Going all-in on one side, with this many picks, would presumably lead to a lot of drafted rookies watching from the sideline.

Say the Jets took 5 players on offense in the first 6 picks, like many desire. How likely is it really to see Saleh/LaFleur start 4 rookies on offense this year (let alone 5 or more)? Even 3 - including a QB - is a lot to see on any team, and would most likely be 1 from each of 3 different position groups.

Put aside what you'd prefer Douglas did differently (I've got my own list); whether in FA, last year's draft, with Darnold, or whatever. Based on where the Jets are now, or say you just got hired as the GM right after the #2 pick was handed in (and Woody forbids you from trading him lol). 

With those picks, create your starting lineup on offense, from QB on down, including the guys/positions you want addressed early & throughout. 

11 starters. Which ones are realistically starting as rookies, and which ones are just more supportive roles (with the knowledge you might want to draft that position with an early/earlier pick next year)?

Realistically 3.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:04 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Offense: QB, OT/G and maybe FB. Everyone else will be a contributor/role player/depth as a rookie. 

Defense: LB, maybe CB. Thats about it. We may draft an edge but looking at the roster he won't be a 'starter', rather a situational player- unless he can also fill that will position which we don't really have filled yet. I think we draft a CB but he won't start as a rookie, rather we end up signing a vet as a stop-gap. However, there's that slight chance a top flight CB drops to 23 and we take him (Jaycee Horn? Farley?), in which case I could see him starting.  

The problem with coming up with a definite number of rookie starters...is that JD could be even more unpredictable in this draft then what he did in last year's.  Will JD end up drafting 10 players...12...or 7-8?   Will it be quantity or quality?  Will he make trades for veteran who could start?

Anyway...I'll give it a shot.

It looks like Wilson will start.  Even though I would prefer some kind of veteran bridge QB signed to at least start the season.  And ease Zach Wilson in.  

I only expect one rookie OL to start.  Like  AVT or Teven Jenkins. Maybe its Alex Leatherford.

One starter could come from Edge.   Jaelan Phillips or Kwity Paye for sure.  A Payton Turner...if drafted he may be more situational to ease him in.

If Jets draft Pat Feiermuth...he should start.  And Jets could then run a two TE offense at times.

CB no...unless Jets draft Patrick Surtain, Jaycee Horn or Caleb Farley. 

LB no...unless Jets draft Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Micah Parsons, or Zaven Collins.  

RB no.  IMO whoever they take will be part of a committee of backs.

WR no.  Unless Jets draft an elite 1st round talent.  Chase-Waddle-Smith.  Or maybe someone to play in the slot if JD decides to trade or cut  Jamison Crowder and his $10 mil contract.  Like a Kadarius Toney or Rondale Moore.  

He could draft a kicker like Jose Borregales.

That's all folks.

• Upvote 1