Marcus Maye: tag, trade or cut?

Bronx

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

None of the above. He isn't traded, becomes a FA after the season and isn't tagged.

He leaves for a 2-3 deal for less money than the Jets offered last year.

I think he's worth a 3 year deal worth $24M, with $12M guaranteed.  But I doubt the Jets would even offer that.  

He is a goner after the season.  If someone offers a 5th round pick for him, I would take it, but again, I don't believe anyone would offer that.

47 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its Ashyton Davis time.  I think this kid is going to be real good for us.  Hes got speed Adams and Maye wish they had.

Tend to agree. Still in awe with the hit he put on Cam Newton. Absolutely rocked his world. It was a clean hit but he hit him so hard, the refs penalized him for roughing the QB. Totally bogus call. He just needs to play and get acclimated to the NFL. Here’s his chance. 

8 hours ago, Latinlawyer said:

Also, Maye is not a game changing safety, he is not a Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu type. He is a very good safety but not a game altering one. 

Neither is Jamal but we got two 1s for him - LOL

Doubt he is worth much - but if a contender looses a safety right before the trade deadline, maybe we can get something.

• Upvote 1

Even if the Jets were thinking about trading him, the DUI has his market value at an all time low. The answer to the thread title is: D.) None of the above. Best case scenario is him coming back, playing well, and someone giving him a contract that nets the Jets a comp pick in 2023. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Bronx said:

Maye will probably be suspended between 2-4 games. He still has a few years left on the tank, but not enough for a contract extension.  

Considering all the facts, should the Jets tag him next year, trade him this off season or cut him to set a precedence?

Well, his contract is up at the end of the year, so they wouldn't be cutting him, just not re signing him.  Consequently, you also can't trade him, since he won't be under contract after this year.

So, it's really just tag, or let him go.   They can also let him go FA, and see what other offers come in and match some other team as I don't see him getting a 4 year 50 million dollar deal at this point.

On 10/6/2021 at 1:29 PM, Bronx said:

Maye will probably be suspended between 2-4 games. He still has a few years left on the tank, but not enough for a contract extension.  

Considering all the facts, should the Jets tag him next year, trade him this off season or cut him to set a precedence?

Trade ( grab the best offer and run ).

On 10/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont think he has any trade value as you have to give him a new contract for next year.  I see us letting maye walk after this season.

Maybe a comp pick but we’ll probably offset that with our own signings. Therefore trade if possible but he has no contract plus a suspension that will come down next year.

Best case imo would be a two year extension at reasonable money but he’s already declined that option so a break up is coming.

I’m torn on this but trade him if you can get a 3rd or better. 

i want the jets to be in the business of keeping the good players they draft but this team is being built to make the playoffs optimistically next year but if not most definitely the year after. So how much does having a veteran safety really going to help in that scenario - maybe a lot, maybe not much more than one we can get in FA on a cheaper deal. 

i also don’t know how much he would want, he may be good value since he won’t get top 5 type money but who really knows what he might ask for. 

interested to see how it shakes out 

11 hours ago, slats said:

Even if the Jets were thinking about trading him, the DUI has his market value at an all time low. The answer to the thread title is: D.) None of the above. Best case scenario is him coming back, playing well, and someone giving him a contract that nets the Jets a comp pick in 2023. 

Any chance a tag & trade next year would be even a remote possibility?  Seems like a good chance we're spender again next offseason and a comp pick isn't likely.  

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Any chance a tag & trade next year would be even a remote possibility?  Seems like a good chance we're spender again next offseason and a comp pick isn't likely.  

I don’t think so. I don’t think he’s worth what he’s getting this year, and don’t think anyone would trade for him at the cost of tag #2. So it’s either trade him before the deadline for peanuts to a team hoping To work out a long term deal, or take your chances with the comp pick. 

Joe Douglas can control whether or not he gets comp picks, so if he’s losing a player that would net him a good one, he’d work free agency accordingly. I don’t know the number, but I’m certain the team has a lot of players either on their last year or a one year deal. So the Jets will potentially lose a lot of free agents, too. And they may not feel the need to replace them in free agency with five picks in the first three rounds coming up. You know Joe Douglas wants to get to the point where he’s earning comp picks almost every year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t think so. I don’t think he’s worth what he’s getting this year, and don’t think anyone would trade for him at the cost of tag #2. So it’s either trade him before the deadline for peanuts to a team hoping To work out a long term deal, or take your chances with the comp pick. 

Joe Douglas can control whether or not he gets comp picks, so if he’s losing a player that would net him a good one, he’d work free agency accordingly. I don’t know the number, but I’m certain the team has a lot of players either on their last year or a one year deal. So the Jets will potentially lose a lot of free agents, too. And they may not feel the need to replace them in free agency with five picks in the first three rounds coming up. You know Joe Douglas wants to get to the point where he’s earning comp picks almost every year. 

in the end the goal is not getting comp picks or not overpaying.  It is not keeping your draft picks.  It is not having alot of cap space, or spending to the cap.

It is winning games, and to win games you need a solid roster.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

in the end the goal is not getting comp picks or not overpaying.  It is not keeping your draft picks.  It is not having alot of cap space, or spending to the cap.

It is winning games, and to win games you need a solid roster.

Right. And the best way to do that is to have a young core of players on cheap rookie contracts. You get more of them by accumulating more draft picks. I guarantee you that all of Joe Douglas’ one-year deals figure into his comp pick calculations. This is a man who likes extra picks. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2021 at 6:45 PM, SoFlaJets said:

Why should the NFL be concerned with a personal issue on a man's own time? It's bullsh*t that in 2021 they still treat these players like they are frigging indentured cattle  

New to the NFL and personal issues/punishments/suspensions?

Is this a real question?

Indentures cattle?  You get paid millions and all you have to do is not be a moron.  Sorry, its on dumb assed players.