How good has George Fant been at LT?

AFJF

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Every team would do that. That WR the Pats picked 3 or 4 years ago in round 1 was trash. They still played him

No. A good team won't "do that".

The Pats might be the most foolish example you could use here. They have historically ignored draft position with their roster decisions for years. Literally the day after the draft ends, draft position becomes irrelevant. You earn a job or you don't.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

No. A good team won't "do that".

The Pats might be the most foolish example you could use here. They have historically ignored draft position with their roster decisions for years. Literally the day after the draft ends, draft position becomes irrelevant. You earn a job or you don't.

Can you name a team that drafted a guy in the first round who didn't play in his second season when healthy? 

I forget who mentioned Fant at TE for blocking, but I like it.  I'd like to see how it looks, but it may add lots of value. 

Get your best guys on the field.  If Fant countinues to stay in and protect well, he is probably a ++ TE in run blocking. 

The Jets need a blocking TE and a receiving TE. Let Fant prove he's versatile and then pay all 3 tacklestackls.  

if Becton is the 16th best protecting LT in the NFL you smile and send him out there all day.  His run blocking will be elite.  Scheme to help him where needed and win running behind the left side. 

On 10/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, David Harris said:

He’s doing his #1 job in protecting Zach but there is no question that Mekhi starts LT as soon as he’s ready to go. Mekhi is still a baby with crazy upside. Played very well last year. Could match Fant’s pass blocking and dominate the run game especially next to AVT. Start the future asap.

Moses is better than Fant on the right side. Put Fant on the bench, use him like Seattle did and use 3 tackles at times.

Fant is the 9th highest paid RT in the NFL which is insane until you realize he was signed to be a starting LT.  His contract is up and someone will be happy to pay him just for his pass blocking at LT but it won’t be the Jets. 

JD deserves a ton of credit for signing Morgan Moses. To have a backup plan the caliber of Fant rarely happens.

Fant=4th round compensitory pick? 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:10 AM, T0mShane said:

I, too, think it would be a good idea to replace an elite pass-blocking OLT with Mekhi Becton (who has been on the couch for a calendar year) at the very point where, theoretically, Zack Wilson should be rounding into form.

Lol, but in all seriousness it’s so true, just as the OL appear to be gaining some of that all important continuity & familiarity I wouldn’t be in a rush to change anything.

If we see an improvement in the next three weeks or so and the line play is noticeably less of an issue than it was the first couple of games, then at the very least we don’t have to rush Becton back.

Which would be a nice problem to have for a change 

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

did you refer to him as the magic man?

Umm,  it’s Majc. I even had this T shirt haha. I was also sitting next to his brother in Don’s 3000gt when his brother dragged the drivers door against the shopping cart fence when we went to store for a beer run. Fun times haha 

image_0c5a594f-ba43-4fc9-a9af-a5bae7c842

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 7:57 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Fant=4th round compensitory pick? 

0 possibility of the team getting any  comp picks this off-season. It’s based on FAs signed and money spent. The jets have a ton of cap space so they will sign more guys to bigger contracts than they lose. Also he’s signed next season and you don’t get any after cutting a player. 

• Upvote 1