Sticking up for the OL

jgb

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Jets Offensive Line is so much better at their jobs than Zach is. I'm sick of the haterz blaming everything on a unit that is dramatically over-performing and showing great improvement.

12. NEW YORK JETS (UP 4)

Best-graded: C Connor McGovern | 75.2
Worst-graded: G Laurent Duvernay-Tardif | 57.9

The Jets have thrown a lot of resources at the offensive line in recent years, and while it’s still not a fantastic unit, it has made massive steps in the right direction, even after losing key members, such as Mekhi Becton, to injury. George Fant has moved over to left tackle, and while he was a liability there earlier in his career, he has allowed just one sack all season.

Rookie Alijah Vera-Tucker endured a tough run of play but looks to be past that poor stretch. He is back playing solid football. He has surrendered 38 pressures this season but been a far better run-blocker.

Not a big fan of Pff. They had the Jets OL ranked above a few teams last year and it was a sh*t show. Regardless the OL sucked to day.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Ken Schroy said:

Not a big fan of Pff. They had the Jets OL ranked above a few teams last year. Regardless the OL sucked to day.

You think PFF is so terrible they'd grade the Jets OL #12 on the year when in reality they are totally incompetent?

That's absurd.

1 minute ago, Ken Schroy said:

I didn't say that. Don't look for an argument. I said I'm not a big fan of pff, and the OL sucked today. Jeez take a breath.

Lol wut? Bro, I'm utterly beyond emotion with this team. I have found that the first person to tell another to chill online is reflecting, though. It's psychology. Don't hate the messenger.

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Jets Offensive Line is so much better at their jobs than Zach is. I'm sick of the haterz blaming everything on a unit that is dramatically over-performing and showing great improvement. We got your back, guys!!!

12. NEW YORK JETS (UP 4)

The Jets have thrown a lot of resources at the offensive line in recent years, and while it’s still not a fantastic unit, it has made massive steps in the right direction, even after losing key members, such as Mekhi Becton, to injury. George Fant has moved over to left tackle, and while he was a liability there earlier in his career, he has allowed just one sack all season.

Rookie Alijah Vera-Tucker endured a tough run of play but looks to be past that poor stretch. He is back playing solid football. He has surrendered 38 pressures this season but been a far better run-blocker.

It's all in Fant. He's carrying the whole OL

That was obvious today

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Origen said:

Oline did fine for what they could.  Dolphins made great adjustments to force the line's hand and no one 'made a play' like great teams do when they need to win. 

3rd down they couldnt hold the fort though. 

OC needs to account for that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Here's the problem. Every game you can find some excuse. This game it's Fant out. The problem is that Zach has sucked for all but maybe 10 quarters of football all year (being generous) despite having a mid-tier OL.

If your FQB needs everything to be perfect, you don't have a FQB.

Preach.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Here's the problem. Every game you can find some excuse. This game it's Fant out. The problem is that Zach has sucked for all but maybe 10 quarters of football all year (being generous) despite having a mid-tier OL.

Yeah, the OL has really stepped it up through the season.  It started out absolutely horrible.  Remember when they couldn't pick up a single stunt at the beginning of the year?

The OL as a whole has been playing really well through the latter half of this season and I think we all are and have been giving them credit for that. 

That being said, did you not see a difference in the OL between the first and second halves?  Both in the run and pass game?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Then pay him $30M/year.

My point is what do they do when he gets hurt? the majority of the 2nd half sacks were not Zach's fault, he barely had the ball by the time he was dropped most of the time. 

I don't know if the current system is going to work, but I doubt drafting new guys will help either.

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Jets Offensive Line is so much better at their jobs than Zach is. I'm sick of the haterz blaming everything on a unit that is dramatically over-performing and showing great improvement. We got your back, guys!!!

12. NEW YORK JETS (UP 4)

Free rusher thing was largely do to tight  ends missing blocks or assignments. Line struggles when Zach struggled and Zach struggled when the line struggled. All in all if nothing else  they all for the most part looked like they were on the same page. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Yeah, the OL has really stepped it up through the season.  It started out absolutely horrible.  Remember when they couldn't pick up a single stunt at the beginning of the year?

The OL as a whole has been playing really well through the latter half of this season and I think we all are and have been giving them credit for that. 

That being said, did you not see a difference in the OL between the first and second halves?  Both in the run and pass game?

Again, Zack has been the same terrible player all year. This is true when the OL had a rough start, got stronger, and today.

So no. I do not think the OL is causing him to suck. I think he just does.

Someone has to stand up for the other 100 players and coaches on this team. Sick of seeing them all called garbage because people want to believe in one dude.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Da Fuq?

-Mac Jones 

Just now, jgb said:

Again, Zack has been the same terrible player all year. This is true when the OL had a rough start, got stronger, and today.

I don't think the OL is causing all of his issues either.  But do you think perhaps the play of the OL in the second half caused, or even should have caused any issues?

Do you think the OL had anything to do with the offensive woes of the second half?  In the run game or pass game?  Keeping in mind, a lot of times they were getting home, they were only rushing 4.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Perfect? How about one of his top 2 WRs and not play with 3rd string left tackle?

I'd settle for average average surrounding talent.  

• Upvote 2

ZW has his issues without a doubt. However, I also see free rushers regularly, guys being confused who they should block, and guys being treated like turnstiles. Do guys on the line make any calls? Is that entirely on ZW? That would be a poor plan by the coaches with a rookie QB on a bad team. The oline has gotten better, but it is by no means complete as a unit, and needs other talented pieces.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Someone has to stand up for the other 100 players and coaches on this team. Sick of seeing them all called garbage because people want to believe in one dude.

LOL, kid played the least awful game  he ever played so you are defending all the other players for the people all blaming them? Personally I think the coaching staff, the team and Zach Wilson deserve a big thank for all they did to help this young man play his least awfulness today and I thank  you Johnny.. for making sure they do!!! Bravo sir! Bravo! 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Free rusher thing was largely do to tight  ends missing blocks or assignments. Line struggles when Zach struggled and Zach struggled when the line struggled. All in all if nothing wise they all for the most part looked like they were in the same page. 

I'd modify to Zach always struggles, sometimes the OL is able to overcome.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Perfect? How about one of his top 2 WRs and not play with 3rd string left tackle?

I'd settle for average average surrounding talent.  

Mac Jones' top two receivers are UDFAs.

Justin Herbert played behind the worst OL in the NFL last year.

The surrounding cast does make a difference. But it doesn't turn the worst QB in the NFL to a guy worthy of building your team around.

6 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I don't think the OL is causing all of his issues either.  But do you think perhaps the play of the OL in the second half caused, or even should have caused any issues?

Do you think the OL had anything to do with the offensive woes of the second half?  In the run game or pass game?  Keeping in mind, a lot of times they were getting home, they were only rushing 4.

Yes, bad OL play can affect the QB. Of course. No one would dispute this. I just don't think it can take the worst starting QB in the league and make him into the answer for the future.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

LOL, kid played the least awful game  he ever played so you are defending all the other players for the people all blaming them? Personally I think the coaching staff, the team and Zach Wilson deserve a big thank for all they did to help this young man play his least awfulness today and I thank  you Johnny.. for making sure they do!!! Bravo sir! Bravo! 

If that's his best, I've already won the debate.