Changing OT in playoffs

it seems just about every overtime game has some controversy.  maybe the better thing is to just play one additional quarter at a time until one team wins.  so as long as there's time on the clock they play.  and if they're still tied after a quarter then they play another. during the regular season they can go back to no overtime and having tie games.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

There is nothing wrong with the current rule. The defenses were utterly exhausted, which ever team had the ball last was going to win. 

Exactly. THis was no different than the Jets vs. Dolphins shootout in the eighties with O'Brien and Marino. Whoever got the ball was going to win. Jets got the ball and I believe the first pass was a bomb to Walker and a score. Something like 52-45 and a thriller like last night. Somebody has to lose.   

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

There is nothing wrong with the current rule. The defenses were utterly exhausted, which ever team had the ball last was going to win. 

It is exactly this. That coin flip was the decider. Both offenses were amazing, but those defenses were just tired of chasing.

I would do this for playoffs, and playoffs only, but add an extra intermission. Make it 1o minutes. Allow each team to regroup and collectively catch their breath. Then play a full period with 4th quarter timing rules. 2 timeouts for each club.

NFL will never do this though. The early game could tun into the late game and they do not want that.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is exactly this. That coin flip was the decider. Both offenses were amazing, but those defenses were just tired of chasing.

I would do this for playoffs, and playoffs only, but add an extra intermission. Make it 1o minutes. Allow each team to regroup and collectively catch their breath. Then play a full period with 4th quarter timing rules. 2 timeouts for each club.

NFL will never do this though. The early game could tun into the late game and they do not want that.

And what if, after those 10 minutes, the game is still tied?

It's ridiculously unfair. Games should not be decided by a coin toss.

Play a full extra quarter with sudden death implemented if there's no winner after that. Let the team's control who had possession entering that phase by going straight into sudden death from the previous play. 

• Upvote 4

From a business standpoint, the NFL doesn't really care. As far as they are concerned, their ads were sold and aired during regulation. All their sponsors were advertised during the game. The NFL upheld their end of the bargain and made their money. At that point, the NFL and the TV stations want the games to end. The TV stations don't want these games going on for an extra hour as its now costing them money.

With that being said, college OT rules where they start off at the 25 would be much more exciting. Maybe for the NFL, they start off at the 50 and have to go for 2 no matter what. But again, the longer the game goes, the more the TV stations lose. what the fans want and what makes the TV stations / NFL money are two different things.

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it seems just about every overtime game has some controversy.  maybe the better thing is to just play one additional quarter at a time until one team wins.  so as long as there's time on the clock they play.  and if they're still tied after a quarter then they play another. during the regular season they can go back to no overtime and having tie games.

NFLPA wouldn't want that. With every additional play, the risk of injury increases. OT needs to end as quickly as possible but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to do that while giving both teams an equal opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, extmenace said:

From a business standpoint, the NFL doesn't really care. As far as they are concerned, their ads were sold and aired during regulation. All their sponsors were advertised during the game. The NFL upheld their end of the bargain and made their money. At that point, the NFL and the TV stations want the games to end. The TV stations don't want these games going on for an extra hour as its now costing them money.

With that being said, college OT rules where they start off at the 25 would be much more exciting. Maybe for the NFL, they start off at the 50 and have to go for 2 no matter what. But again, the longer the game goes, the more the TV stations lose. what the fans want and what makes the TV stations / NFL money are two different things.

Your take on them doing is correct, but it is not about the revenue. OT games will have the highest peak viewership. That increases the overall share number, which then translate to extra TV revenue in the next negotiations. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your take on them doing is correct, but it is not about the revenue. OT games will have the highest peak viewership. That increases the overall share number, which then translate to extra TV revenue in the next negotiations. 

I'm no expert in how viewership correlates to dollars.....but I can't imagine viewership is peaking at 11:00pm EST on a sunday night regardless of how good the game is.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

First off....Game for the ages!  Probably one of the best football games played in the longest time I can remember.

That said.  This overtime rule in the playoffs.  I can understand (kind of) why they have it the way they do for regular season.  But when it comes to the playoffs, should both teams not get at least one possession?  I mean, it literally comes down to a coin toss.  Would have made that game even more exciting if Buffalo gets a chance to go down and score as well.

No. The game is not solely based on offense.  If your D gives up a long FG, that is one thing but if you allow a team to drive the field for a TD, you lose. Just as fhe other teams O stepped up, so does your D. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The rules are fine. Play some defense.

Can you imagine this place if after an incredible TD by our QB we can't close it out with 17 seconds left?  And we had the number one defense?  I take nothing away from Mahomes and the Chiefs.  But to give up all those yards.  WTF are Leslie Frazier and that unit doing?

What a game.  Josh Allen played out of his mind.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you want to get rid of the coin flip, you can do something like total offensive yards leader gets the ball or some other stat. That way you earn the right to get the ball first. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I'm no expert in how viewership correlates to dollars.....but I can't imagine viewership is peaking at 11:00pm EST on a sunday night regardless of how good the game is.

1. Last night's OT game was at 8pm EST. Yes, I understand there is a later game, which ended around 9:30 EST last night.

2. Those times would be 5pm and 6:30 PM PST.

3. Are you suggesting that viewership is going to DROP in a closely contested contest?

4. Which do you believe will garner more viewership for a network? An OT game, or a re-run of Dateline NBC?

5. The networks do not pay their employees OT for extra period. These are salaried folks.

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can you imagine this place if after an incredible TD by our QB we can't close it out with 17 seconds left?  And we had the number one defense?  I take nothing away from Mahomes and the Chiefs.  But to give up all those yards.  WTF are Leslie Frazier and that unit doing?

What a game.  Josh Allen played out of his mind.

When you have to defend guys like Hill and Kelce at the end of a game, it is tough. You can't  give up the TD so you have to play prevent and that leaves the middle of the field open which is what happened. When those two get the ball, the turn these 10 or 15 yard passes into 20. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you want to get rid of the coin flip, you can do something like total offensive yards leader gets the ball or some other stat. That way you earn the right to get the ball first. 

That is random as well. Why penalize a team because they may have less offensive possessions because of let's say a defensive touchdown scored or some other fluke? Too random.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is random as well. Why penalize a team because they may have less offensive possessions because of let's say a defensive touchdown scored or some other fluke? Too random.

It's  a lot less random than guessing heads or tails of a coin flip. If flukes are so common, they wouldn't  be called that. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's  a lot less random than guessing heads or tails of a coin flip. If flukes are so common, they wouldn't  be called that. 

Explain to me why a team that has more offensive yards deserves an advantage over a team with less offensive yards, in a game where points matter, and those points are tied.

Why not choose less penalty yards? And I am not advocating that. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Second, are we going to turn OT into "give each team the same number of possessions" a la baseball with the top and bottom of an inning?  I thought the idea was more "don't let a team win the coin toss and then have a short drive and win the game with a long FG".  Of course, even with today's rules, if a team wins the coin toss and gets a FG and the other team comes back and gets a FG to tie the game, it's back to "next score wins".  In other words, you can still win on a short drive with a FG.

That's the point: Why let a game come down to a coin toss?  It's the only major sport that is decided on something so frivolous as winning a coin toss.  If you are a sport in which offense/defense does not transition automatically throughout the game, then each team should be given one chance on both offense and defense (just like baseball).  

That would be like the final game of the World Series being decided in extra innings because the Jays won a coin toss and hit a home run without the other team getting a chance to respond.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No. The game is not solely based on offense.  If your D gives up a long FG, that is one thing but if you allow a team to drive the field for a TD, you lose. Just as fhe other teams O stepped up, so does your D. 

EXACTLY!  So each team should get a chance to play offense and defense once.  If we score and stop you, it's equal.  If we score and stop you, it's equal.