Sources: Falcons pursuing deal to land Jets' Abraham

Smizzy

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons are working hard to assemble the appropriate pieces of a trade package intended to lure prized defensive end John Abraham from the New York Jets, ESPN and ESPN.com have confirmed through league sources.

One significant road bump to a deal that, despite ongoing efforts from both sides, remains a long shot: The Falcons steadfastly refuse to include two-year veteran quarterback Matt Schaub, the player Jets officials regard as the centerpiece to any deal, in their trade proposals.

It is believed the Jets are seeking Schaub and the Falcons' second-round draft pick for Abraham.

Without the inclusion of Schaub, the backup to Michael Vick and a youngster whose r

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Falcons are kidding themselves if they think they can acquire Abraham without giving up either hte 15th overall or Schaub.

They could pull this s*** with Bradway, but not now.

We either get either/or or no deal. If we trade Abe for anythign less I am going t be livid.

Falcons | Team trying to trade for Abraham

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:58:41 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Atlanta Falcons are trying to piece together a trade offer to present to the New York Jets in exchange for franchise free agent DE John Abraham. One significant blockage to a deal that, despite ongoing efforts from both sides, remains a long shot: The Falcons steadfastly refuse to include QB Matt Schaub, the player Jets officials regard as the centerpiece to any deal, in their trade proposals. It is believed the Jets are seeking Schaub and the Falcons' second-round draft pick for Abraham.

If I was Atlanta I wouldn't trade Schaub. They need a good back-up especially since Michael Vick likes to put his body on the line so much running with reckless abandon down there. Vick runs like a man on a suicide mission taking on linebackers and defensive linemen.

Teams seem to be tripping over themselves for Abe. I guess they want to look away from all the injuries and selfishness and the fact that he has no contract.

If I desperately wanted a pass-rusher I would just trade up for Mario Williams in the draft. Younger, bigger, stronger, better and probably cheaper.

If I was Atlanta I wouldn't trade Schaub. They need a good back-up especially since Michael Vick likes to put his body on the line so much running with reckless abandon down there. Vick runs like a man on a suicide mission taking on linebackers and defensive linemen.

Teams seem to be tripping over themselves for Abe. I guess they want to look away from all the injuries and selfishness and the fact that he has no contract.

If I desperately wanted a pass-rusher I would just trade up for Mario Williams in the draft. Younger, bigger, stronger, better and probably cheaper.

Most Gm's would Rather take the proven commodity ,Let's pray someone just has to have abe.

Don't discount what Abe is capable of. As promising as Mario is he is yet to face NFL competition. Abe's been there and done that and despite his baggage I still think teams would be more interested in getting a veteran who's proven than trading possibly even more to get a top 5 pick.

If you could get Abe for a mid to late 1st rounder and you would have to give up potentially 2 1st round picks for the 4th or 5th pick in the draft I would problably choose Abe.

ATLANTA The Atlanta Falcons are working hard to assemble the appropriate pieces of a trade package intended to lure prized defensive end John Abraham from the New York Jets, ESPN and ESPN.com have confirmed through league sources.

One significant road bump to a deal that, despite ongoing efforts from both sides, remains a long shot: The Falcons steadfastly refuse to include two-year veteran quarterback Matt Schaub, the player Jets officials regard as the centerpiece to any deal, in their trade proposals.

It is believed the Jets are seeking Schaub and the Falcons' second-round draft pick for Abraham.

Without the inclusion of Schaub, the backup to Michael Vick and a youngster whose r

Well then we can throw in Brooks Bollinger and then they can have the Michael Vick black and the supposed Michael Vick White. :)

This is a double post...posted by Smizzy last evening. Let's try to do a little homework first before posting...like the post of the other day stating Brees signed with the fins. No prizes given out for trying to outbeat someone with some news...especially if the news is wrong.

Atlanta doesn't want to part with Schaub & have no "real" QB as their #2 & don't want to revisit the possibility of a Kurt Kittner-esque player (or a raw 3rd-round-or-later rookie) filling in for a month or two. No team with high hopes for '06 wants to add a FA of Abraham's caliber/$, and then if Vick goes down so does the season.

Jets should get creative. Why not pick up Ramsey for a 5th (prefer a 6th, or even less) and ship him off to Atlanta with Abraham for Schaub & their 2nd? If Schuab is Mangini's "guy" then losing a 5th or a 6th - in a draft where we'd still have 8 picks in the first 4 rounds (with two rd 4 comp's) - shouldn't get in the way.

Ramsey isn't exactly the second coming of Johnny Unitas, but he can certainly throw a football. They've got a pro-bowl TE, two first-round WR's, and there's a good chance they'll take a RB with game-changing ability himself in Lendale White (if he's still there) or DeAngelo Williams to make the release/trade of Dunn doable; probably the reason they're so reluctant to deal their #1 pick.

Just an idea.

Getting Schauby would mean the End Of Penne!! mark my words Penne will not last past June 1....

This is too good to be true!! Unloading 2 turds for a legit QB and getting a 2nd rounder to boot!!!!!

Jets will take Mario/Dbrick at 4, no need to trade down, unless Oakland gives us a bonanza to take 4th slot.

ever since Volek left the potential-Jets-QB picture Schaub has been THE guy in my minds eye that I would like to see lead this team for the next half decade.All last year me and my wife would be sitting there on the living room couch watching these TD passes being shown around the league-50 yard spirals and saying to each other "why can't WE do that?".Matt Schaub can and we need someone like that NOW-not Chad Pennington the second (Lienart) but a real game changer.I believe Schaub can be that for us.

ever since Volek left the potential-Jets-QB picture Schaub has been THE guy in my minds eye that I would like to see lead this team for the next half decade.All last year me and my wife would be sitting there on the living room couch watching these TD passes being shown around the league-50 yard spirals and saying to each other "why can't WE do that?".Matt Schaub can and we need someone like that NOW-not Chad Pennington the second (Lienart) but a real game changer.I believe Schaub can be that for us.

It's worth a shot, we really don't have much to lose. Also, someone said to get Ramsey and then send Ramsey to the Falcons so they would have a legit backup qb. I think thats an excellent idea but why not just throw in the pick (5th rounder) in the trade and let Atlanta make the trade? Either way I think it's a great idea.

It's worth a shot, we really don't have much to lose. Also, someone said to get Ramsey and then send Ramsey to the Falcons so they would have a legit backup qb. I think thats an excellent idea but why not just throw in the pick (5th rounder) in the trade and let Atlanta make the trade? Either way I think it's a great idea.

I threw that idea out b/c this way if we don't get Schaub we still have someone to compete with Pennington & we're not locked in to drafting a QB with the 4th pick.

It keeps our options open. We COULD still take a QB at #4 if the trade for Schaub doesn't materialize & the only change on the roster is Ramsey takes Bollinger's place. Even if we don't lock up Ramsey beyond 2006 who cares - Bollinger's gone after this year himself, so you're just replacing a $500K Bollinger with a $1.7M Ramsey for one year (not a big deal if we're going into the draft at $22M under the cap).

I threw that idea out b/c this way if we don't get Schaub we still have someone to compete with Pennington & we're not locked in to drafting a QB with the 4th pick.

It keeps our options open. We COULD still take a QB at #4 if the trade for Schaub doesn't materialize & the only change on the roster is Ramsey takes Bollinger's place. Even if we don't lock up Ramsey beyond 2006 who cares - Bollinger's gone after this year himself, so you're just replacing a $500K Bollinger with a $1.7M Ramsey for one year (not a big deal if we're going into the draft at $22M under the cap).

compete??????

come on, take a vicodin :)

if we get schaub, cutler, leinhart, even croyle,, they will be startin by midseasin at latest,,

new coach, new start,, he wont putz around with chad,,if u throw some scheckles at a one of these kids, mangini will play them bfore season too far over

compete??????

come on, take a vicodin :)

if we get schaub, cutler, leinhart, even croyle,, they will be startin by midseasin at latest,,

new coach, new start,, he wont putz around with chad,,if u throw some scheckles at a one of these kids, mangini will play them bfore season too far over

I was being nice, as it is my nature.

If we get Schaub, he's starting from day one. The others you mentioned, I agree that they'll be starting by midseason at the latest. The only thing that would prevent it is if we're winning games with Chad.

I was being nice, as it is my nature.

If we get Schaub, he's starting from day one. The others you mentioned, I agree that they'll be starting by midseason at the latest. The only thing that would prevent it is if we're winning games with Chad.

ya thats right up there with monkeys comin out of my arse

12224430_d6e2c65e09_o.jpg

I havent seen Shaub play yet, but I know I would love the #15 pick for Abraham, which is equal value.

Trade up for Leinart and take Lendale White at 15.

Sounds good to me!

If you think the Falcons will give you a 1st for Abraham, you're delusional. I'm up for Schaub for Abraham or a 2nd-7th for Abraham. Not Schaub and a pick. You need a QB, we need a DE. The only difference is that the Falcons like Schaub.

If you think the Falcons will give you a 1st for Abraham, you're delusional. I'm up for Schaub for Abraham or a 2nd-7th for Abraham. Not Schaub and a pick. You need a QB, we need a DE. The only difference is that the Falcons like Schaub.

falcons are MAJOR fools!!!!!!!!

they will 'lamont jordan' schaub if they arent careful,,

trade him now before he is a free agent,,,its obvious he wont resign after 2006,,why? to be career backup to Vick?

falcons are MAJOR fools!!!!!!!!

they will 'lamont jordan' schaub if they arent careful,,

trade him now before he is a free agent,,,its obvious he wont resign after 2006,,why? to be career backup to Vick?

uh....no lol. hes an Rfa next year, so that means all we have to do is offer him 1.55 mil and we'll get a 1st rounder from anyone who signs him. if we were really daring we could sign him to a 2 mil one, making compensation a 1st and a 3rd.

uh....no lol. hes an Rfa next year, so that means all we have to do is offer him 1.55 mil and we'll get a 1st rounder from anyone who signs him. if we were really daring we could sign him to a 2 mil one, making compensation a 1st and a 3rd.

You'll never get a 1st round pick for him unless he starts pretty much the whole season in the event Vick is injured. He will also have to play fairly well during that time to warrant it. Therefore if you do that next year, you will be paying 1.5 mil to your backup QB, 3 mil if you want to be "daring",.

you seem to forget the fact that abe is a proven probowler...and schaub has started what, 3 games? with a very strong running game at that....

you're the delusional one if you think schaub for abe straight up is an even deal---schaub and the second or we can take our buisness elsewhere

you seem to forget the fact that abe is a proven probowler...and schaub has started what, 3 games? with a very strong running game at that....

you're the delusional one if you think schaub for abe straight up is an even deal---schaub and the second or we can take our buisness elsewhere

That's the minimum. I would rathjer Schuab, a 2nd, and a conditional next year, of a 2nd or a 3rd, depending on how Abe performs.

Archived