"Who the Hell is Mel Kiper" and his new mock draft

Stark

Just now, Barton said:

Jets should consider trading up for Hutch, if they feel like he's a 12 sack a year kinda guy. Maybe the Lions dont want to pass on him though, so who knows.

Jets could always consider "reaching" for the top WR on their board at take him at #4. And yes, maybe Neal, who can play RT too. 

If anything douglas would trade back.  The problem is that it’s going to be very hard to get out of 4, and easier to get out of 10.  So the question is, do any qbs, pass rushers, wrs or OTs show anything at the combine to either convince another team to trade up?  If not, the jets may well wind up taking either cross or ojabu.  

Ultimately i think the jets will go OT at 4, with fant leaving for mega money somewhere else to a contender and becton unreliable.  Then at 10 they try to trade back and then go edge in the teens.  Wr is probably not in the cards in round 1 unless they go edge at 4.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If anything douglas would trade back.  The problem is that it’s going to be very hard to get out of 4, and easier to get out of 10.  So the question is, do any qbs, pass rushers, wrs or OTs show anything at the combine to either convince another team to trade up?  If not, the jets may well wind up taking either cross or ojabu.  

Ultimately i think the jets will go OT at 4, with fant leaving for mega money somewhere else to a contender and becton unreliable.  Then at 10 they try to trade back and then go edge in the teens.  Wr is probably not in the cards in round 1 unless they go edge at 4.

Douglas should pack his bags if he thinks rearranging the chairs on the Oline and drafting a bleh pass rusher is gonna move the needle.

We need guys who score some damn points, beat guys 1 on 1 and make plays. 

If London tests well athletically, just take him at #4. F it. 

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

Douglas should pack his bags if he thinks rearranging the chairs on the Oline and drafting a bleh pass rusher is gonna move the needle.

We need guys who score some damn points, beat guys 1 on 1 and make plays. 

If London tests well athletically, just take him at #4. F it. 

Devil's advocate here.....doesn't a good edge do just that?

1 hour ago, Barton said:

A safety who doesnt intercept the ball much and a center.....

Think about that....

If Douglas does that with 2 top 10 picks, then he needs to be fired. 

He had 8 INTs at ND.  

Id say he intercepted the ball more than a few times

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Right...and how often are there coverage sacks in a game compared to QB pressures and sacks?  Give me a break with coverage sacks.

Teams with solid secondary personnel  have it happen often. You don't  see it on the Jets because our secondary  save for when we had Revis and Cro suck. Most of the sacks in the Rex era were coverage sacks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

This epitomizes the mccagnan draft philosophy.  At least douglas has taken the right positions in the right rounds so far.  

I think the challenge at #4 will be, they can’t trade out, ekongwu goes first, then hutch and thibs, and the jets won’t take neal.  Then what do they do?  Hamilton may well be the highest rated player on some boards, but i doubt douglas traded adams to get another first rounder to take another safety.  At that point it could be cross, or the next highest rated pass rusher.

Bolded: thats it. i dont get why we just do get the next best Edge on our list. why cause Mel Kiper says he shouldn't go as high as 4? i bet there is alot of teams regretting not drafting Parsons cause some draft board said he cant be picked in the top 10.

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Right...and how often are there coverage sacks in a game compared to QB pressures and sacks?  Give me a break with coverage sacks.

There’s a ton. You remember Jordan Jenkins right? He was getting like 8 sacks a year right? That’s pretty good people thought. They were mostly coverage sacks. Guess what happened to him? He tried to get big $, failed, then signed for a cheap deal to try and salvage his career. He turned into a 1-2 sack a year guy 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He had 8 INTs at ND.  

Id say he intercepted the ball more than a few times

8 ints over 3 years.

Sean Taylor had nearly 20 over 2 years.

A safety in the top 10 needs to have real ballhawk turnover INT skills. Not just be pretty good at covering guys.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barton said:

8 ints over 3 years.

Sean Taylor had nearly 20 over 2 years.

A safety in the top 10 needs to have real ballhawk turnover INT skills. Not just be pretty good at covering guys.

This just screams that you haven’t watched him play. Teams avoided him like the plague. Is he a perfect prospect? No he’s not, but he’s close. His physical tools are unheard of for a safety. They had him covering TEs and he locked them down. He covered cbs fantastic too. When he was in zone he was great too. He sometimes takes bad angles for tackles but that’s probably his only negative mark. Judging guys based on college stats is a very very poor way of looking at the draft. With this mindset Zappe would be a clear cut #1 pick with his insane amount of yards and tds 

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

This just screams that you haven’t watched him play. Teams avoided him like the plague. Is he a perfect prospect? No he’s not, but he’s close. His physical tools are unheard of for a safety. They had him covering TEs and he locked them down. He covered cbs fantastic too. When he was in zone he was great too. He sometimes takes bad angles for tackles but that’s probably his only negative mark. 

They avoided a safety? Did teams avoid Ed Reed and Sean Taylor in college? 

You might have some valid points but I want a safety who actually has a track record of intercepting the ball  if I'm taking him in the top 10 of the draft. Period. 

He's probably not covering too many WRs in the NFL btw.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

They avoided a safety? Did teams avoid Ed Reed and Sean Taylor in college? 

You might have some valid points but I want a safety who actually has a track record of intercepting the ball  if I'm taking him in the top 10 of the draft. Period. 

He's probably not covering too many WRs in the NFL btw.

You know who was on Miami’s roster when Reid and Taylor were in college? It’s littered with 1st round picks and great players. This is not the case with Notre Dame 

EFACDF67-E279-45B2-8768-502C3635265B.png

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You know who was on Miami’s roster when Reid was in college? It’s littered with 1st round picks and great players. This is not the case with Notre Dame 

EFACDF67-E279-45B2-8768-502C3635265B.png

Bro, we are talking about taking a safety in the freakin top 10. He needs to be a hall of famer for it to be worth it. We've been down this road before.

I'm sure Hamilton is supremely talented. He also doesnt seem to have a knack for intercepting the ball. 8 picks over 3 years isnt impressive. He's not a slam dunk game changer like Taylor and Eric Berry were. Berry also wasnt an Ed Reed but he did have 14 picks in college. 

1 minute ago, Barton said:

Bro, we are talking about taking a safety in the freakin top 10. He needs to be a hall of famer for it to be worth it. We've been down this road before.

I'm sure Hamilton is supremely talented. He also doesnt seem to have a knack for intercepting the ball. 8 picks over 3 years isnt impressive. He's not a slam dunk game changer like Taylor and Eric Berry were. Berry also wasnt an Ed Reed but he did have 14 picks in college. 

I guess 99% of the scouts are wrong that he’s not a slam dunk prospect because you said so then 

On 3/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, Stark said:

I know these guys are required to put out multiple mocks, and a lot of the time why they change stuff up.... but man. JETS pass on Thibs. I just can't see it happening.

Can't post entire article but ill give top 10 picks

1. Jags - Ikem Edwonu, OT, NC State
  2. Lions - Aidan Hutchinson, DE Michigan
  3. Texans - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
  4. JETS - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame ?
  5. Giants - Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon
  6. Panthers - Charles Cross, OT, Miss St
  7. Giants - Devin Lloyd, ILB, Utah
  8. Falcons - Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner, CB Cincinnati
  9. Browns (Trade with Broncos to pass JETS) - Drake London, WR, USC
  10. JETS - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa

Id BE LIVID if that’s how the draft went down. The top WR snatched by a trade up! The best WR, LB, & CB off the board and we settle for a 3rd consecutive OL as a 1st round draft pick. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:43 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Except they do not need a C, let alone desperately enough to draft one at #10 which no team in history has ever done even when they had nobody.

He'd be a good pick in round 2. Maybe if they move up a few slots to grab him at the very bottom of round 1. Maybe

Center isn't merely non-premium. It's basically the lowest-value full-time, non-special-teams position in the NFL. Fullback and maybe NB are the only on offense or defense that are worth less than a center.

If Douglas takes a center, after failing to make any bid for an all-pro UFA center just one year ago when it was far more justifiable, then the Jets have no shot at winning anything until they get a new GM because it means he's just too stupid.

If Jets only had the 10 pick, i'd be hesitant about a center, but as their 2nd pick in the 1st round, i am cool with it.  Winding up with stud guard & center for a malcontent safety, who is over paid, is a huge win.  

On 3/2/2022 at 4:00 PM, BurntDice said:

Please Jamal is what a 2x all pro at 26 years old?  People are still sour that he hurt their feelings. He’s also a completely different kind of player compared to Hamilton 

He was not at all thought  to be a different guy than hamilton, like Hamilton he was a do it all play maker.  No one was drafting a pure box safety at 6.

As for the pro bowls an all pro, it is amazing what self promotion can do for you.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was not at all thought  to be a different guy than hamilton, like Hamilton he was a do it all play maker.  No one was drafting a pure box safety at 6.

As for the pro bowls an all pro, it is amazing what self promotion can do for you.

Jamal ran a 4.56 40 time. I’m not sure if Hamilton is running the 40 or not, but he has 4.4 speed. He can play single high and in the box. Jamal can not. He is a better athlete than Jamal without a doubt. He’s more akin to Derwin James who everyone viewed as a fantastic prospect, but he had injury issues and Hamilton is a better athlete that Derwin also. 

Jamal was at least partially drafted so high because people loved his leadership skills and thought of him as a culture changer. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, BeaconJet said:

For an "old school" guy like Kiper, who has criticized the Jets for "not knowing how to draft", him having them take a S and an IOL in the top 10 is bizzaro world stuff. 

The old school guy who made an ass out of himself when he said that over 30 years ago and the player he said that for turned out to be a pro bowl player?  

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Jamal ran a 4.56 40 time. I’m not sure if Hamilton is running the 40 or not, but he has 4.4 speed. He can play single high and in the box. Jamal can not. He is a better athlete than Jamal without a doubt. He’s more akin to Derwin James who everyone viewed as a fantastic prospect, but he had injury issues and Hamilton is a better athlete that Derwin also. 

Jamal was at least partially drafted so high because people loved his leadership skills and thought of him as a culture changer. 

Hes also longer at 6'4"

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Except no one other than you are calling him a pure box safety that have actually seen him play.

And its laughable that anyone believes being an all pro is due to self promotion