Lions' and Jets' draft day offers for Deebo

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I'm convinced Lance wasn't who they traded up for but public pressure made them pivot off Jones. 

The 49ers were linked to Zach early ( I want to say in October/November).  Steve Young speculated the 49ers thought JD would back off and they’d get Zach.  

They had to have 3QBs in mind when they traded up though.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The 49ers were linked to Zach early ( I want to say in October/November).  Steve Young speculated the 49ers thought JD would back off and they’d get Zach.  

Strange strategy I don't think I would have been that desperate for a QB unless I was in love with one.

7 hours ago, undertow said:

I'm convinced Lance wasn't who they traded up for but public pressure made them pivot off Jones. 

It’s possible.

There was also a rumor they wanted Wilson and  thought the Jets would take Fields.

Both of those scenarios make them look completely incompetent though.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Sometimes the best Trade is the one you don’t make.

Looking back on what we got in the draft, no way would I make a trade for Deebo.

Debo brings a special skill set to the field. He can run like a back and catch like a receiver.

By NOT making that trade we got both a #1 RB & #1 WR. Debo is no longer required and considering his injury history….. 2 players available is better than none

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, undertow said:

I doubt it. Jones had a great rookie year, but I think he’s another low ceiling guy like the one they’re trying to replace. That’s a lot of capital to give up for a player like that, especially when you already have that player! The Steve Young fueled Wilson rumor is also interesting but, if that’s who they wanted, how do they not give the Jets a call? Also, their trade to move up happened right about the same time that the Jets were drooling over Zach at his pro day. 

I think they’re just a couple of smart young guys who’ve had success and thought they knew something the rest of the league did not. 

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saying Jimmy G "took" teams on those deep playoff runs is a bit of a stretch.  He's serviceable but little more.  A guy you're always looking to upgrade from.

Again not saying he is an elite QB but when he is not playing the Niners record is abysmal. Are there better QBs out there , absolutely, but you can do faaaar worse than Garropolo. We as Jets fans should know that as we have had far worse than Jimmy G 

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saying Jimmy G "took" teams on those deep playoff runs is a bit of a stretch.  He's serviceable but little more.  A guy you're always looking to upgrade from.

Again not saying he is an elite QB but when he is not playing the Niners record is abysmal. Are there better QBs out there , absolutely, but you can do faaaar worse than Garropolo. We as Jets fans should know that as we have had far worse than Jimmy G 

4 hours ago, slats said:

I doubt it. Jones had a great rookie year, but I think he’s another low ceiling guy like the one they’re trying to replace. That’s a lot of capital to give up for a player like that, especially when you already have that player! The Steve Young fueled Wilson rumor is also interesting but, if that’s who they wanted, how do they not give the Jets a call? Also, their trade to move up happened right about the same time that the Jets were drooling over Zach at his pro day. 

I think they’re just a couple of smart young guys who’ve had success and thought they knew something the rest of the league did not. 

Yeah everybody has the opinion you have of Jones which is why there was an uproar when the rumors were they moved up for Jones.....so either the rumors where BS or they got scared off. 

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

I would take Jimmy G over Mac Jones.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Yeah everybody has the opinion you have of Jones which is why there was an uproar when the rumors where they moved up for Jones.....so either the rumors where BS or they got scared off. 

If they had Jones graded that high, I don’t see John Lynch as a guy who’s gonna let fan or media pressure change his mind for him. I don’t think anyone would’ve batted an eye if they took Fields there, either. What they did is take the riskiest guy they could there. Tells me they were swinging for the fences all along. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would take Jimmy G over Mac Jones.

Absolutely and many others 

Sam Darnold , Baker Mayfield, Daniel Jones , Ryan Tanneyhill , Tua immediately come to mind 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets had 0 interest in Deebo.  That wasnt a serious offer.

Don't forget, the 10th pick was not just a pick for a player like a WR or some other position, but could have been used to trade down and nab multiple picks to address other situations. They are a contender but really have an issue at QB with Garappalo being 1) injury prone and 2) not real clutch in the big games which means you likely never win it all with him and are wasting years of a Championship caliber roster and coaching staff. And, Lance is completely unknow at this point. So, my point is they could have taken that 10th pick and parlayed it into a trade for say Mayfield who gives them a much better chance at winning even in the playoffs than Lance and is likely just as good as Garappalo maybe even more clutch in bigger games who knows, the Browns had a very good roster, but not as good as the 49ers. Just making the point that the 10th pick in this draft was more valuable then just a 1st rounder like the Lions were offering at 32 since at 10 you could have used it as a major trade piece and still picked up another WR like Moore or Pickens to fillin for the loss of Deebo.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

That would be some speculation by Steve Young considering he was supposedly a close advisor to the Wilson family throughout the draft process. You would imagine that Young would want to steer Zach to the Niners, but I can’t see what kind of leverage they could exert over the Jets after they threw all their draft capital at the Dolphins for #3. Young was on the Michael Kay show every week, and Kay pressed him on his thoughts about Zach to the Jets. Young was clearly wary, but he thought it’d work out because of Greg Knapp. After Knapp passed, Young was less positive about the situation. I always suspected that bringing Beck in was a concession to Young and Team Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would be some speculation by Steve Young considering he was supposedly a close advisor to the Wilson family throughout the draft process. You would imagine that Young would want to steer Zach to the Niners, but I can’t see what kind of leverage they could exert over the Jets after they threw all their draft capital at the Dolphins for #3. Young was on the Michael Kay show every week, and Kay pressed him on his thoughts about Zach to the Jets. Young was clearly wary, but he thought it’d work out because of Greg Knapp. After Knapp passed, Young was less positive about the situation. I always suspected that bringing Beck in was a concession to Young and Team Wilson. 

I agree and join you in that guess. 

I think it reflects well on everyone involved.  It wasn’t working and they fixed it mid season.

5 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I agree and join you in that guess. 

I think it reflects well on everyone involved.  It wasn’t working and they fixed it mid season.

Ehhhh it was triage. The guys they had in-house were failing Zach and they had to bring in a Zach confidante mid-season. Everyone on the staff is a Saleh crony, and they’ve been spectacular failures. There’s gonna come a point when Saleh is going to have to fire one of his buddies and bring in a fixer at DC or OC (probably DC), and we’re gonna learn a lot about him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Ehhhh it was triage. The guys they had in-house were failing Zach and they had to bring in a Zach confidante mid-season. Everyone on the staff is a Saleh crony, and they’ve been spectacular failures. There’s gonna come a point when Saleh is going to have to fire one of his buddies and bring in a fixer at DC or OC (probably DC), and we’re gonna learn a lot about him. 

A lot of question marks will be answered this season.   Should be a fun one!  

I hope the best covers camp well 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

A lot of question marks will be answered this season.   Should be a fun one!  

I hope the best covers camp well 

I do like LaFleur and I hope what we saw last season was growing pains and dealing with receiver injuries. There were a lot of clever elements to the offense

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do like LaFleur and I hope what we saw last season was growing pains and dealing with receiver injuries. There were a lot of clever elements to the offense

If the Jets/Wilson have a really good offensive year and LaFleur starts getting head coach interest.......

Jets would be in a tough spot. How do you let him leave? Gotta keep him and consider dumping Saleh.