Fant expressing frustration over contract talks

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not the point.  Being cheap was.  Fant was signed as a player who proven little and was signed as a hopeful solution at RT

Hes in year 3 so it was a 30M deal.  If the idea is the Jets are cheap he would have been dumped after getting little for their money after year 1

He was signed to play LT.  Becton wasn't on the team when we signed him. 

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I like Fant, but he’s an average run blocker and he’s had one good year. He also got close to 30 million from the Jets (and 13M guaranteed) when no other team was offering him anything similar (to my knowledge).

I think the Jets would be wise to wait for an encore performance before coughing up the big bucks. 

I'm sure this is the plan.  Fant got a bigger contract from the Jets then what he was worth at the time, and now he has ascended to getting paid what he deserves.  If JD was to give him an extension now, he would be asking somewhere around 15-18M per season.  He needs to prove himself again this year to get anything like that kind of money.  

My take is that if Fant plays the way he did last season, it still isn't enough for the Jets to fork over 18M per year.  My guess is he will be walking after this season.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, derp said:

Fant was signed to start, don’t know where the idea he was signed as depth came from, but the side was fluid. Important because they knew they were taking a tackle (had a trade up in place) but not which one. Fant having LT flexibility would’ve made it okay to take someone more comfortable at RT - particularly Wirfs after he played there in college. If they’d signed Conklin instead that situation could’ve been tricky.

I think the third tackle that year was Edoga and Fant was making eight figures, so Fant was absolutely signed to start. But clearly not definitely on the left side since he…didn’t start on the left side.

I dont know why were are complicating this situation.  The intention was clear as day.  Fant was signed as Depth/Insurance if they didnt land a LT.  Hence why he was paid as such.  This really isnt rocket science.  The Jets never had any intention of him playing LT.  They signed him at back-up/depth money for LT and/or starting RT money incase that's where they needed him to play.  Which is literally, exactly what happened.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wait, what?  lmfao.  You posted some hack's article to prove your point?  hahaha, okay, I'll see your hack and raise you a Jets specific hack to prove you're wrong. 

Connor Hughes of The Athletic responded to the signing:

Or we could be smart and use logic and look at the contract Fant received and unless you think he's an absolute ******* moron, nobody accepts that contract to start at LT.  lmfao

You left out that he started at LT for most of his rookie year and in 2 rounds of the playoffs at LT for the Seahawks.  He signed with the Jets for cheap money to prove himself at LT and he has.  

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wait, what?  lmfao.  You posted some hack's article to prove your point?  hahaha, okay, I'll see your hack and raise you a Jets specific hack to prove you're wrong. 

Or we could be smart and use logic and look at the contract Fant received and unless you think he's an absolute ******* moron, nobody accepts that contract to start at LT.  lmfao

His contract was in line with a guy in a backup role, getting his chance to be a starter elsewhere. Regardless of left or right. I think we all expected Fant at R though, and Becton at L. It probably would've been the opposite had JD made the right pick, Tristan Wirfs. 

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

As a rookie FA in 2016 with almost no college experience he ended up starting 10 games for Seattle at LT and played in 14 games.   He was plugged in as the starter for 2017 at LT and tore his ACL in pre-season.  The Seahawks traded for Duane Brown after he went down and was placed on IR for the season.

Fant came into the league as a very athletic prototype LT with no experience.  He ended up thrown in as a rookie and won the job.  He lost it to a terrible injury.  Seattle was a playoff team and they made a move to replace him when it was clear he was done for the season.  

Fant isn't a swing tackle.  He's a nautral LT and that's what Joe Douglas got.  We saw it last year.  He was terrific.  He's in his prime and unless the injury is an issue he should be a good starting LT for another 4 to 5 years. 

Seattle was lining him up as an eligible receiver...

dude..

lmfao

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He was signed to play LT.  Becton wasn't on the team when we signed him. 

Jets knew a LT would probably be available in that years draft and they got one.

im not getting the argument that he wasn’t signed to a actual $30M deal.  He’s going to cash in on all $30M 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

You left out that he started at LT for most of his rookie year and in 2 rounds of the playoffs at LT for the Seahawks.  He signed with the Jets for cheap money to prove himself at LT and he has.  

So, he played so much LT and he was so good at it, he hit the open market and took a prove it deal?  

Brother, you're making zero sense.

We'll just agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

His contract was in line with a guy in a backup role, getting his chance to be a starter elsewhere. Regardless of left or right. I think we all expected Fant at R though, and Becton at L. It probably would've been the opposite had JD made the right pick, Tristan Wirfs. I'd like to think that the 2020 draft was influenced heavily by googly eyes, and that these subsequent drafts have been a result of a good GM and a good HC collaborating in a competent fashion. Maybe the Jets finally got it right. 

Season 9 Wow GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

His contract was in line with a guy in a backup role, getting his chance to be a starter elsewhere. Regardless of left or right. I think we all expected Fant at R though, and Becton at L. It probably would've been the opposite had JD made the right pick, Tristan Wirfs. 

Douglas signed Mosses to play RT last year for much cheaper money after Becton and Fant where on the roster.  He tried to resign him this year.   Apparently Douglas didn't love Fant at RT either.  

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I like Fant and he had a really good season, but Fant is not to O lineman what Fitzpatrick is to DB's.  And it is not like the Jets have treated Fant like crap. They paid him $30 million already. Plus, we don't even know if he will win the RT spot this season, and we do know that he is a below average run blocker. Frankly, his retweet and comment are troubling

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I dont know why were are complicating this situation.  The intention was clear as day.  Fant was signed as Depth/Insurance if they didnt land a LT.  Hence why he was paid as such.  This really isnt rocket science.  The Jets never had any intention of him playing LT.  They signed him at back-up/depth money for LT and/or starting RT money incase that's where they needed him to play.  Which is literally, exactly what happened.

I think when you use depth/insurance it implies, to me, you mean backup. But he was going to start at one tackle slot or the other. There is no backup left tackle who makes eight figures. He was going to start on the right side or the left side, I think right side was plan A.

And I genuinely believe if the board fell so that the Browns took Becton at 10 because Wills and Thomas went before that the Jets would’ve taken Wirfs at 11 and there was a very real chance Fant started at LT. Maybe that’s complicating things but I think that was part of the thought process and important in the decision to sign Fant.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, freestater said:

His contract was in line with a guy in a backup role, getting his chance to be a starter elsewhere. Regardless of left or right. I think we all expected Fant at R though, and Becton at L. It probably would've been the opposite had JD made the right pick, Tristan Wirfs. I'd like to think that the 2020 draft was influenced heavily by googly eyes, and that these subsequent drafts have been a result of a good GM and a good HC collaborating in a competent fashion. Maybe the Jets finally got it right. 

Season 9 Wow GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I heard you the first time and you're just repeating what I've been saying all along and I cant tell if you realize it or not but whatevs.

Anywho, I loved Wirfs coming out but ultimately wanted Becton that draft because of the position value and upside so maybe that's why I'm a Becton believer and I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong.  But yea, it's easy to say the Jets got it wrong (supposedly Gase wanted Lamb) but we'll see.  Becton also didnt and doesnt have the benefit of playing on a loaded line, with a HOF HC/HOF QB known for getting the ball out quicker than anyone ever but still, dude is a stud and I hope Becton makes us forget about that miss.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets don't ever find the bag for players who outperform their contract 

That's why woody loves jd so much 

He treats the players like sh*t.

grandpappy Johnson would be proud 

John Franklin-Meyers and Ryan Griffin are two recent examples of players who outperformed their contracts and were paid accordingly by Joe Douglas and Woody Johnson.  One could argue that both moves (paying a player at the height of their "stock") didn't work out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

He's grossly underpaid for a top 12 starting LT in the NFL.  He's in his absolute prime and a year for him will put him on the backside of his prime.  

Right Tackles make a lot less money on average.  Guys who are really good at pass protection on the left side get paid.  

This is a JD problem unless Becton can play top 15 NFL LT for 15 to 17 games. 

That's a good point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

Where did you see that he was holding out? I haven’t seen anything to indicate that.

That was bad wording on my part. I guess I'm not 100% sure what's going on, I just felt like it's a mixture of both parties that's ending up as a problem

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm all about players getting paid but this confuses me.  Fant was paid like a starting RT to come to the Jets, with very little starting experience.  JD saw something in him and if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of RT making more than Fant.  Is he upset because he had to play LT out of necessity last year and now thinks he deserves LT starting money?  Not sure I agree, I dont think the Jets want him to play LT.  It was one year and you got injured and didnt even play the full season.  Plus, he's a UDFA.  IDK, seems like he'll get paid if he delivers another great season but otherwise, needs to prove it again IMO.

12 minutes ago, derp said:

I think when you use depth/insurance it implies, to me, you mean backup. But he was going to start at one tackle slot or the other. There is no backup left tackle who makes eight figures. He was going to start on the right side or the left side, I think right side was plan A.

And I genuinely believe if the board fell so that the Browns took Becton at 10 because Wills and Thomas went before that the Jets would’ve taken Wirfs at 11 and there was a very real chance Fant started at LT. Maybe that’s complicating things but I think that was part of the thought process and important in the decision to sign Fant.

So, this was my original post on this topic.  Biggs then argued that he was actually signed to start at LT simply because he was signed before the draft, which is terrible logic and untrue.  That's how this all started.

But right from the rip, I said, he was signed to play RT.  So that said, I agree, he was signed to start but I think it's quite clear, they never had any intentions of starting him at LT.  That was insurance.  The depth part refers to him being able to play both positions in the chance that they didnt get their LT and/or if an injury occurred.  I believe the Jets actions then and there after reflect my position ie; his contract, drafting Becton, signing a back up RT vs. a back up LT, etc.

32 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like Fant and he had a really good season, but Fant is not to O lineman what Fitzpatrick is to DB's.  And it is not like the Jets have treated Fant like crap. They paid him $30 million already. Plus, we don't even know if he will win the RT spot this season, and we do know that he is a below average run blocker. Frankly, his retweet and comment are troubling

He's not a good run blocker.  That's why JD signed Mosses to start on the Right side for peanuts and tried to sign him again.  Fant is a pass protecting LT.

If Becton and Mosses were both here and ready to go Fant would be a dead man walking.  He's leverage is the league believing he is an above average pass blocker at LT and his leverage on the Jets is their real belief in Becton being able to stay healthy and play LT from game 1. 

If Becton has it together Fant is getting peanuts from JD.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Agree with your last part but me thinks the Jets absolutely want him to play LT again.  Last year he was top 5 (possibly top 3) protecting the QB’s blindside.  That’s such a critical job, especially with the injuries the Jets have had.

Becton is not exactly instilling confidence and while I believe he is a good pass blocker with upside, he does struggle a bit with the speed rushers you see more on the blindside.

You think Joe Douglas wants Fant to beat out his first ever pick as a GM for arguably the second most important position on the team by a player in his contract year?  I'm going to strongly disagree.  I think the Jets want Becton to show out and become an elite LT because that would be the best thing for the NY Jets and would make Joe Douglas look like even more of a baller than he already is which is good for his resume/career.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So, this was my original post on this topic.  Biggs then argued that he was actually signed to start at LT simply because he was signed before the draft, which is terrible logic and untrue.  That's how this all started.

But right from the rip, I said, he was signed to play RT.  So that said, I agree, he was signed to start but I think it's quite clear, they never had any intentions of starting him at LT.  That was insurance.  The depth part refers to him being able to play both positions in the chance that they didnt get their LT and/or if an injury occurred.  I believe the Jets actions then and there after reflect my position ie; his contract, drafting Becton, signing a back up RT vs. a back up LT, etc.

It wasn't based on logic it was based on why Fant signed here and what was said by both JD and Fant.  It is true he was signed before the draft.

Fant is not cut out to play RT and that's why JD replaced him with Mosses.  Becton's injury is the only reason Fant got a chance to produce.  He's not a run blocker. 

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It wasn't based on logic it was based on why Fant signed here and what was said by both JD and Fant.  It is true he was signed before the draft.

Fant is not cut out to play RT and that's why JD replaced him with Mosses.  Becton's injury is the only reason Fant got a chance to produce.  He's not a run blocker. 

Wait, what? Replaced him?  lmfao  Fant was the opening day starting RT. 

I cant even anymore, you're literally just making things up.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm all about players getting paid but this confuses me.  Fant was paid like a starting RT to come to the Jets, with very little starting experience.  JD saw something in him and if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of RT making more than Fant.  Is he upset because he had to play LT out of necessity last year and now thinks he deserves LT starting money?  Not sure I agree, I dont think the Jets want him to play LT.  It was one year and you got injured and didnt even play the full season.  Plus, he's a UDFA.  IDK, seems like he'll get paid if he delivers another great season but otherwise, needs to prove it again IMO.

I think he wants a new contract because he's done everything the Jets have asked him to and done it well for the most part. He's a reliable tackle they can count on at either spot, while their first round pick battles from a serious injury and constant weight concerns. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Wait, what? Replaced him?  lmfao  Fant was the opening day starting RT. 

I cant even anymore, you're literally just making things up.  

They offered him a 2 year deal that he turned down to leave his options open.   I think that was the plan.  Fant isn't a good run blocker.  The Jets want to run the ball.  

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I think he wants a new contract because he's done everything the Jets have asked him to and done it well for the most part. He's a reliable tackle they can count on at either spot, while their first round pick battles from a serious injury and constant weight concerns. 

Which is fair but why right now if you're the Jets?  At least go into the season and see how Becton plays and see how Fant plays at RT, he was mediocre at best in 2020.  If Bectons shows out, Fant is very disposable and they can simply draft a RT and save money.  Just doesnt make any sense for the Jets to extend him right now.  

• Upvote 1

He feels he is in a position to get paid LT money, like blood in the water with Becton barley able to make up to the podium  and a rookie 4th round pick. I don’t agree with it but he probably feels he has leverage if Becton is not where he needs to be and he is the only reliable T on the roster. 

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They offered him a 2 year deal that he turned down to leave his options open.   I think that was the plan.  Fant isn't a good run blocker.  The Jets want to run the ball.  

lol - he signed a 3 year deal worth 5 mil a year, if the Jets really wanted to replace Fant at RT with Moses, he would be on the Jets and not the Ravens.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

My guess is they don't want to pay Fant LT money on a long term deal.   This puts Fant in a really bad spot.  

Eh.  I get Fant's complaint for sure.  But he's not in a bad spot.  He's proven he can be a starting LT in the NFL at at minimum an acceptable level, when few would have believed that as recently as 1 year ago (as evidenced by Douglas likely being the only one willing to give him decent OT money the last time he hit free agency).  

If the Jets don't pay him, even at his age, he'll hit free agency next offseason and make good coin.  That's not a terrible place to be in the long run.

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - he signed a 3 year deal worth 5 mil a year, if the Jets really wanted to replace Fant at RT with Moses, he would be on the Jets and not the Ravens.

The Jets offered him 2 years.  He opted for a 1 year deal with the Jets.  He was cut by the Redskins and took the deal.  He obviously turned down the 2 year deal.  He signed for 1 year at 3.6 with potential earnings of 5.3 if he met incetives. 

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets offered him 2 years.  He opted for a 1 year deal with the Jets.  He was cut by the Redskins and took the deal.  He obviously turned down the 2 year deal.  He signed for 1 year at 3.6 with potential earnings of 5.3 if he met incetives. 

So you are talking about last year.  I thought maybe a dose of logic hit you for a second.  Guess not.  Ugh.

❤️

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So you are talking about last year.  I thought maybe a dose of logic hit you for a second.  Guess not.  Ugh.

❤️

Yes of course I was talking about the Jets.   They wanted to plug him in on the right side and have Fant be a swing backup.   Both contracts expire the end of this year.  They would be able to draft a RT in this years draft to slot in next year.  I really think that was JD's plan.  Mosses not taking the second year and Fant having been already signed through this year changed the equation.  Becton getting hurt changed it again.  

Mosses is a decent run blocker.  The Jets wanted to run the crap out of the ball last year.