Fant expressing frustration over contract talks

Let’s see Fant do it again this year before we extend him. He was JDs first big signing giving him $30m when he was essentially a backup level tackle. Nobody was offering him that money. JD believed in him then and now Fant publicly showing lashing out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, freestater said:

JD, the o-line expert, has a tackle problem. 

No bueno.

This isn't a JD problem. He paid Fant much more cash than anybody else would have and it totally paid off. Fant was a great tackle. I'm kind of frustrated that Fant is holding out here, but honestly he played well enough to deserve at least a little raise. So it's a standoff because JD isn't willing to use that money on Fant, but Fant thinks he's worth it. That has nothing to do with JD not being a very good OL expert.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Hex said:

This isn't a JD problem. He paid Fant much more cash than anybody else would have and it totally paid off. Fant was a great tackle. I'm kind of frustrated that Fant is holding out here, but honestly he played well enough to deserve at least a little raise. So it's a standoff because JD isn't willing to use that money on Fant, but Fant thinks he's worth it. That has nothing to do with JD not being a very good OL expert.

He's grossly underpaid for a top 12 starting LT in the NFL.  He's in his absolute prime and a year for him will put him on the backside of his prime.  

Right Tackles make a lot less money on average.  Guys who are really good at pass protection on the left side get paid.  

This is a JD problem unless Becton can play top 15 NFL LT for 15 to 17 games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm all about players getting paid but this confuses me.  Fant was paid like a starting RT to come to the Jets, with very little starting experience.  JD saw something in him and if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of RT making more than Fant.  Is he upset because he had to play LT out of necessity last year and now thinks he deserves LT starting money?  Not sure I agree, I dont think the Jets want him to play LT.  It was one year and you got injured and didnt even play the full season.  Plus, he's a UDFA.  IDK, seems like he'll get paid if he delivers another great season but otherwise, needs to prove it again IMO.

Fant signed here before we drafted Becton.  He signed here to play LT which is his natural position.  He was paid a cheap deal for a starting LT.  Fant didn't want to play RT.  Becton was drafted after Fant signed here.   Whirfs would have been a perfect choice but JD decided to draft Becton to play LT.

Fant has a small window to make some money on his last contract.  It's pretty clear JD wants to see where Becton is before giving him starting LT money.  

I agree that if Becton on a rookie deal can play LT as good as Fant, Fant's value is lower to the Jets.   Fant on the other hand has a right to seek starting LT money in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He's grossly underpaid for a top 12 starting LT in the NFL.  He's in his absolute prime and a year for him will put him on the backside of his prime.  

Right Tackles make a lot less money on average.  Guys who are really good at pass protection on the left side get paid.  

This is a JD problem unless Becton can play top 15 NFL LT for 15 to 17 games. 

This could be the crux of the issue.  Fant is saying he’s the LT while the team may disagree, which could give us insights into how they see the tackle competition playing out.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This could be the crux of the issue.  Fant is saying he’s the LT while the team may disagree, which could give us insights into how they see the tackle competition playing out.

The Jets might well want Becton on the left side because of his rookie deal even if it was better for the team to have him on the right side.  

My guess is they don't want to pay Fant LT money on a long term deal.   This puts Fant in a really bad spot.  He's real ace in the hole might well be Becton immaturity.  The team played it pretty coy by not releasing his weight yesterday.  

Contrast that to how Weeb handled Sherman Plunkett.  He berated him for his weight through the media.

The question is does Fant evolve his game? Yes, keeping the QB protected is the main job but not the only job. At some point you have to be able to put a defender on his butt for a runner to make a play. The guy is only a fair run blocker. I think this is why JD is holding off on giving Fant this extension.  Fant should be working on his run blocking

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets might well want Becton on the left side because of his rookie deal even if it was better for the team to have him on the right side.  

My guess is they don't want to pay Fant LT money on a long term deal.   This puts Fant in a really bad spot.  He's real ace in the hole might well be Becton immaturity.  The team played it pretty coy by not releasing his weight yesterday.  

Contrast that to how Weeb handled Sherman Plunkett.  He berated him for his weight through the media.

This is really unbelievable. Look at the pictures of Becton. He doesn't  look fat

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Fant signed here before we drafted Becton.  He signed here to play LT which is his natural position.  He was paid a cheap deal for a starting LT.  Fant didn't want to play RT.  Becton was drafted after Fant signed here.   Whirfs would have been a perfect choice but JD decided to draft Becton to play LT.

Fant has a small window to make some money on his last contract.  It's pretty clear JD wants to see where Becton is before giving him starting LT money.  

I agree that if Becton on a rookie deal can play LT as good as Fant, Fant's value is lower to the Jets.   Fant on the other hand has a right to seek starting LT money in the NFL.

That's really not an accurate portrayal of the signing at the time, like at all.  Everyone in the world, knew the Jets were taking a Tackle in the draft, including Fant.  He was signed at back up money cost because, well, he was a back-up in Seattle and very much was going to be one in NY as well.  The Jets didnt sign him to start at LT, he knew that and his contract reflected that accordingly.  He was depth and/or a RT option if and when, they took at LT in the draft.  And I just looked it up, only 6 RT's make more money than Fant.  Fant was signed as insurance in LT in the draft didnt work out, plain and simple 

It's cool if Fant wants starting LT money but the Jets would be absolute fools to do at this point and I'd be very surprised if he hits the market and the league views him as a starting LT.  He highly doubt he receives starting LT money next year.  Mainly because I think Becton wins the job and he wont have another audition this year at LT but also because he's not proven to be reliable starting LT.  1 year of good play where you didnt finish the season doesnt usually equate to starting LT salary in the open market.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Hex said:

Where did you see that he was holding out? I haven’t seen anything to indicate that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

That's really not an accurate portrayal of the signing at the time, like at all.  Everyone in the world, knew the Jets were taking a Tackle in the draft, including Fant.  He was signed at back up money cost because, well, he was a back-up in Seattle and very much was going to be one in NY as well.  The Jets didnt sign him to start at LT, he knew that and his contract reflected that accordingly.  He was depth and/or a RT option if and when, they took at LT in the draft.  And I just looked it up, only 6 RT's make more money than Fant.  Fant was signed as insurance in LT in the draft didnt work out, plain and simple 

It's cool if Fant wants starting LT money but the Jets would be absolute fools to do at this point and I'd be very surprised if he hits the market and the league views him as a starting LT.  He highly doubt he receives starting LT money next year.  Mainly because I think Becton wins the job and he wont have another audition this year at LT but also because he's not proven to be reliable starting LT.  1 year of good play where you didnt finish the season doesnt usually equate to starting LT salary in the open market.

You sir are incorrect.  Everyone knew the Jets were taking a tackle to start on the right side as a rookie.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/george-fant-signs-multi-year-deal-with-jets

Former Seahawk George Fant Signs Multi-Year Deal with Jets

After playing four seasons in Seattle, Fant couldn't pass up on the opportunity to start at left tackle and will head to New York on a three-year deal.

CORBIN K. SMITH

MAR 16, 2020

Two months after telling reporters he believed he was a starting left tackle in the NFL, George Fant will now have a shot at proving himself right.

Per multiple sources, Fant intends to leave the Seahawks to sign a three-year, $30 million deal with the New York Jets. He will receive $13.7 million guaranteed as part of the lucrative contract.

Breaking into the league as an undrafted free agent out of Western Kentucky in 2016, Fant had never played offensive line at any level. Still, he managed to find his way into Seattle's starting lineup as a rookie and looked to be a long-term option at left tackle heading into his second season.

But during the preseason, Fant's leg got caught under a pile at the line of scrimmage and he suffered a torn ACL, leading to season-ending surgery. Eventually, Seattle traded for Duane Brown before the deadline and extended his contract in August 2018.

With Brown cemented as the starter at left tackle, Fant carved out a niche as a pseudo tight end for Seattle. Though he only started five games over the past two seasons, he performed well at both tackle positions and played over 800 offensive snaps to gain valuable experience.

Impressed by his showings as a spot starter, the Jets plan for Fant to take over as the team's new starting left tackle protecting Sam Darnold's blind side in 2020. Thanks to his departure and the possibility of Germain Ifedi also leaving in free agency, the Seahawks may have to look at other free agent options or the draft for a new right tackle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I'm all about players getting paid but this confuses me.  Fant was paid like a starting RT to come to the Jets, with very little starting experience.  JD saw something in him and if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of RT making more than Fant.  Is he upset because he had to play LT out of necessity last year and now thinks he deserves LT starting money?  Not sure I agree, I dont think the Jets want him to play LT.  It was one year and you got injured and didnt even play the full season.  Plus, he's a UDFA.  IDK, seems like he'll get paid if he delivers another great season but otherwise, needs to prove it again IMO.

Agree with your last part but me thinks the Jets absolutely want him to play LT again.  Last year he was top 5 (possibly top 3) protecting the QB’s blindside.  That’s such a critical job, especially with the injuries the Jets have had.

Becton is not exactly instilling confidence and while I believe he is a good pass blocker with upside, he does struggle a bit with the speed rushers you see more on the blindside.

• Upvote 1

Just to make sure we all have the chronology down here,

• JD vows to fix the Oline which happens to be in sync with the fan base who are very much aware how much the prior regime neglected the OL
  • JD signs Fant for 3 years $30 million - widely criticized for overpaying. 
  • Fant says that he would prefer LT and is much more comfortable at that position
  • Fant plays 14 relatively average games at RT, essentially what would have been expected
  • Fant plays 15 games at LT where he vastly outplays anything he has done before, again playing his preferred position
  • Fant has one year left on his deal and our other OTs have injury concerns or need a year to get used to the NFL
  • Current LT contracts of note - Charles Leno $12.5/year, Joseph Notebloom $13/year, Bakhtari $23/year

And people here want him to play out the season before being resigned????????????????

If he plays 10+ games at an above average level, he will get at minimum 2 years and $18 million.  If the team smartly keeps him at LT and he plays as well as he did last year he will get a 3 year $40 million contract.  Fant is also listed 3rd (behind Orlando Brown and Dj Humphries) as far as available OTs in FA next year. Why should we take that risk?

I just dont understand why the fan base cant see actual value in our own players.  Not everyone is a first team all-pro and Fant has outplayed his contract to date, has 3+ years left to play at his current level and is as fit in this offense.  What else do we want?  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets don't ever find the bag for players who outperform their contract 

That's why woody loves jd so much 

He treats the players like sh*t.

grandpappy Johnson would be proud 

What nonsense.  Start with JFM.  Was it cheap to give Fant, a mediocre OL 3 years, $30 mil.  Any proof that a Fant deal won’t happen?  Is there really a rush?

You would think the Woody is cheap nonsense would have ended years ago. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You sir are incorrect.  Everyone knew the Jets were taking a tackle to start on the right side as a rookie.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/george-fant-signs-multi-year-deal-with-jets

Fant was signed to start, don’t know where the idea he was signed as depth came from, but the side was fluid. Important because they knew they were taking a tackle (had a trade up in place) but not which one. Fant having LT flexibility would’ve made it okay to take someone more comfortable at RT - particularly Wirfs after he played there in college. If they’d signed Conklin instead that situation could’ve been tricky.

I think the third tackle that year was Edoga and Fant was making eight figures, so Fant was absolutely signed to start. But clearly not definitely on the left side since he…didn’t start on the left side.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

also have to wonder now if reiff is fant insurance as much as becton insurance.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What nonsense.  Start with JFM.  Was it cheap to give Fant, a mediocre OL 3 years, $30 mil.  Any proof that a Fant deal won’t happen?  Is there really a rush?

You would think the Woody is cheap nonsense would have ended years ago. 

Pretty cheap deal for a starting LT even a non-elite starting LT.  He also got 8.5 guaranteed at signing with a total guarantee of 13.7.  It wasn't really a 30 million dollar deal.  

with all due respect, who cares? he is under contract for another year making 10m, and is replaceable at his best. don't get me wrong, i rather have him than not this year....but next season i am drafting a tackle or signing one anyways. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Pretty cheap deal for a starting LT even a non-elite starting LT.  

yeah because he was a swing tackle in seattle, he was an up and down guy and still is. his run blocking was not good last year, and his pass blocking while very good last year was on the left side where he may not stick with MB back....i would not rush to pay him.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Pretty cheap deal for a starting LT even a non-elite starting LT.  He also got 8.5 guaranteed at signing with a total guarantee of 13.7.  It wasn't really a 30 million dollar deal.  

Not the point.  Being cheap was.  Fant was signed as a player who proven little and was signed as a hopeful solution at RT

Hes in year 3 so it was a 30M deal.  If the idea is the Jets are cheap he would have been dumped after getting little for their money after year 1

45 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Wait, what?  lmfao.  You posted some hack's article to prove your point?  hahaha, okay, I'll see your hack and raise you a Jets specific hack to prove you're wrong. 

Connor Hughes of The Athletic responded to the signing:

Or we could be smart and use logic and look at the contract Fant received and unless you think he's an absolute ******* moron, nobody accepts that contract to start at LT.  lmfao

• Upvote 2

Just now, k-met57 said:

yeah because he was a swing tackle in seattle, he was an up and down guy and still is. his run blocking was not good last year, and his pass blocking while very good last year was on the left side where he may not stick with MB back....i would not rush to pay him.

As a rookie FA in 2016 with almost no college experience he ended up starting 10 games for Seattle at LT and played in 14 games.   He was plugged in as the starter for 2017 at LT and tore his ACL in pre-season.  The Seahawks traded for Duane Brown after he went down and was placed on IR for the season.

Fant came into the league as a very athletic prototype LT with no experience.  He ended up thrown in as a rookie and won the job.  He lost it to a terrible injury.  Seattle was a playoff team and they made a move to replace him when it was clear he was done for the season.  

Fant isn't a swing tackle.  He's a nautral LT and that's what Joe Douglas got.  We saw it last year.  He was terrific.  He's in his prime and unless the injury is an issue he should be a good starting LT for another 4 to 5 years. 

• Upvote 1