Saleh “torn” on playing starters Monday

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thank you.  I have repeatedly said that’s what JD and presumably the owners wanted and what we wanted and what we hired.  A Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlinson type HC.  
The number of fans who call it Salehs D and because they weren’t good, regardless of the reason, he sucks as a HC is embarrassingly high.  They seem to know nothing about the basics of the team too often

Ok, this is a little much now. I don't  believe for a second that Saleh has no input on what the D is doing. He may not be making the calls during the game but this is his style of D. If the D sucks, it is a reflection on Saleh. Same goes for BB. He has an enormous impact on what that D does. The difference is I think BB also controls what the O is doing as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, this is a little much now. I don't  believe for a second that Saleh has no input on what the D is doing. He may not be making the calls during the game but this is his style of D. If the D sucks, it is a reflection on Saleh. Same goes for BB. He has an enormous impact on what that D does. The difference is I think BB also controls what the O is doing as well. 

He's in charge of making sure the vibes are positive.  It's a big job when you field a defense like the Jets did last year.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

To me this is no brainer. The starters should play first half. Rest them against Giants. You can’t put these guys in bubble wrap and many need the reps and time to gel.

I also kind of find it odd Saleh is hedging like this so late in the week

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34430510/robert-saleh-undecided-playing-new-york-jets-starters-second-preseason-game

Honestly,  the starters should play at least a qrt. They don't  tackle during a practice. The intensity  of game can't  be simulated.  If a guy gets hurt, yeah it will suck but that is football. Now guys like Fant or even Lawson I can see sitting. They are coming off injuries, but the rest of the starters should play. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Brace yourself. The narratives are trickling out slowest already 

1) Zach didn’t have a full pre season

2) The team is “gelling” 

3) we are “young”

Only a matter of time till we hear 23 is actually when we are supposed to be competitive and 24 is the new magic year 

Just watch

The team is young, that’s a fact.  But where has anyone attempted to use it as an excuse and for what.

Find a post by anyone has used #2 or #3 as a narrative to cover losses I’m assuming.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The team is young, that’s a fact.  But where has anyone attempted to use it as an excuse and for what.

Find a post by anyone has used #2 or #3 as a narrative to cover losses I’m assuming.  

As of today we are ranked 20th in roster age.  That's older than the Rams, Chiefs and Cowboys who rank 31, 30 and 29.   The Browns have the youngest roster today.  To give some perspective the oldest team in the NFL today has an average age of 27 years, 5 months and 27 days.  The youngest roster has an average age of 25 years 5 months and 27 days.

Roster age is not an excuse anymore.   Teams have to balance salary cap with slotted draft picks and cheap crappy veterans.  

There are also lots of examples of second year programs with second year QB's making the playoffs.  Last year one went to the SB.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, maury77 said:

I think those of us that are planning on going to Monday's game should know whether they are planning on playing the starters. 

Not that it bothers me, but this was the most benign post I've ever had to receive a downvote. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Not that it bothers me, but this was the most benign post I've ever had to receive a downvote. 

I am going to wait until 6 pm or so and if it is not raining, I will go for the first half.

now if I get there and it starts raining, I will blame you and give a negative rep

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:44 AM, Jetlife33 said:

I like Saleh a ton, one of the complaints I have is he seems to be indecisive. Even on game day. Another example was last week saying all week Carl Lawson was going to play then last second decided to sit him. I see indecisiveness from him with challenge flags, 4th down to go for it or not to go for it. He truly wants to do the right thing but sometimes just have to make a decision and stick to your gut. 

Yea, it’s a fair critique. Reality is, I think he’s still adjusting to being the one who owns these decisions. He seems very inclusive and transparent, both excellent leadership qualities, but there’s a line between working with others to inform a decision and you making the decision. 

He may feel a bit snake bitten, too.

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

As of today we are ranked 20th in roster age.  That's older than the Rams, Chiefs and Cowboys who rank 31, 30 and 29.   The Browns have the youngest roster today.  To give some perspective the oldest team in the NFL today has an average age of 27 years, 5 months and 27 days.  The youngest roster has an average age of 25 years 5 months and 27 days.

Roster age is not an excuse anymore.   Teams have to balance salary cap with slotted draft picks and cheap crappy veterans.  

There are also lots of examples of second year programs with second year QB's making the playoffs.  Last year one went to the SB.  

So we’re young.  

Who’s making excuses.  He listed 3 excuses fans are going to use or are using, I said two I haven’t seen anywhere and we are young.  And we are.  I could care about lists, Brown, Flacco, LT shew it but 20th is young.  I didn’t need clarification, I’m saying I haven’t seen the excuses being set up due to age.

Therent lot of examples of teams completely gutted to the degree the Jets did, led by a 2nd year QB with a schedule like ours.  

Nobody is making the excuse that we are young and thats why we are not good. The problem is the lack of talent. To put it simply: The young players on those teams are better than the young players on our team. Almost a decade of bad drafting….bad coaching…etc..the only time we were ever competitive is when we spend like drunken sailors in free agency before a season and inject the team with real elite level talent. Hopefully that changes this year and our draft picks emerge for once.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 8/21/2022 at 8:42 AM, kevinc855 said:

To me this is no brainer. The starters should play first half. Rest them against Giants. You can’t put these guys in bubble wrap and many need the reps and time to gel.

I also kind of find it odd Saleh is hedging like this so late in the week

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34430510/robert-saleh-undecided-playing-new-york-jets-starters-second-preseason-game

I’m going tonite, so I wouldn’t mind seeing the starters play for awhile. However given the weather forecast of possible rain and the fact that coaches get a lot out of combined scrimmages I doubt we see the starters.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Bubble wrapping joe flacco, it has come to this has it.  My god.

Injuries happen you have to play a bit to be sharp.  Moore should be playing at the very least.

I agree. 

This is clearly an organizational response to all of the injuries we have had over the past few years, but I personally don't agree with it and fear it could even backfire. 

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Agreed.

Amazing what the Rams have been able to accomplish with their “stars and scrubs” approach.

Their OL investment is minimal yet the line seems to play well year after year despite less positional “talent” than other teams.

Better scouting, better coaching I guess.

Better HC than the Jets for sure.

If the league did not mandate that the coaches give press conferences  doubt any coach would give one.  If they use coach speak

they get ripped for not giving us any information and when they give their true feelings as Saleh just did he gets ripped. Maybe if he had said

undecided instead of torn, it would have gone better. He can't win either way.