PFF-ZACH WILSON’S IMPROVEMENT

3 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

That’s 512 yards, 4TDs, and 83% completion for a game 

Lol. I just meant the type of Zach that carried the offense. Not every game but there will be plenty where we need him to do so. If he is going to be the guy, eventually that has to happen. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I still don't like looking at Zach purely through the prism of the 2022 QB Draft Class.  

He could be far and away the best QB in that class.....and still suck.  That is why this is a flawed way to look at Zach.

All NFL starting QB's.  That is the pool of players for which Zach should be looked at/compared against.

Also, rediculous the analysis states Wilson has better playmakers than the other QBs and the same coaches from last year. So, whose fault is that?. No sense picking QBs in the 1st round if you keep changing coaches and not providing them with playmakers the QB needs. Lord knows we have had that for most of our past.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not really, not like this.  What if the whole class are busts?  Is him being ever-so-slightly better than a bust meaningful?

Now, if you grouped "all QB's under 28" or something, that could hold more value as an analysis tool, but it's alot more work.

Last I checked, the job of those two gentlemen is exactly the same, NFL QB.

Artificially limiting the pool is just that, artificial.  22, 32 or 52, if they play starting NFL QB, that's the competition to which any other starting NFL QB must be compared against, because they hold the same job and face the same expectations of performance and responsibility.

Doesn't mean one cannot factor other things into that analysis of course.  Like age and experience.  Only that artificially limiting the analysis to "left handed QB's born in October on odd numbered years" doesn't really mean much.

JMO of course.

For effects of statistical comparison you absolutely need to input variables in order to obtain reliable data.

Variables such as age, coaching and supporting cast should definitely be considered. 

9 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Numbers are very important. The only numbers I like to look at this season are wins and losses. I ask myself...Does he know how to win? only two games in for the kid and I refuse to allow myself to be carried away. It appears that his team believes in him. If he can continue to improve, I think that we will truly like the results. 

He has continued to improve going back to last year, that’s really not debatable.  First baby steps after coming back, Not turning the ball over (he was Leading the NFL in pass attempts Without a turnover, I think it was 156, before getting picked in Pittsburgh), cleaning up those dirt passes he was throwing in the short game, which was Never seen before at all during his entire college career.

The trajectory of his game continues to point up, even in almost imperceptible facets.

Makes no sense to pass a 100% definitive judgement on Wilson, definitely not last year with almost No pro talent around him, and not this year either….Good or Bad.

But I think I see things where where his game continues to improve as he looks way more comfortable playing ball at the highest level.

Great arm, fast legs, intelligent, game definitely improving.  The Jets sure could be worse off at the QB position.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

He has continued to improve going back to last year, that’s really not debatable.  First baby steps after coming back, Not turning the ball over (he was Leading the NFL in pass attempts Without a turnover, I think it was 156, before getting picked in Pittsburgh), cleaning up those dirt passes he was throwing in the short game, which was Never seen before at all during his entire college career.

The trajectory of his game continues to point up, even in almost imperceptible facets.

Makes no sense to pass a 100% definitive judgement on Wilson, definitely not last year with almost No pro talent around him, and not this year either….Good or Bad.

But I think I see things where where his game continues to improve as he looks way more comfortable playing ball at the highest level.

Great arm, fast legs, intelligent, game definitely improving.  The Jets sure could be worse off at the QB position.

Hey don't get me wrong, I agree with all you said. However, I am a Jets fan so to me, everything comes with a "What if"...

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

I still don't like looking at Zach purely through the prism of the 2022 QB Draft Class.  

He could be far and away the best QB in that class.....and still suck.  That is why this is a flawed way to look at Zach.

All NFL starting QB's.  That is the pool of players for which Zach should be looked at/compared against.

I think during their rookie years it's an interesting analysis, but I tend to agree with you that at this point it's irrelevant -with one caveat.

As a judgement of the GM's performance to see which QB's he passed on.  Obviously TL is irrelevant in that scenario.

So far he looks like the game has slowed down for him compared to last year. His feet are calmer and he’s making his reads quicker. We’ll see if that eliminates the dumb mistakes as the Jets ramp up the passing attack as the season goes on. That by itself is encouraging after the three years of watching Darnold fail to improve at all. You could watch Darnold today and you’d see the same player he was in his rookie year. 

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think during their rookie years it's an interesting analysis, but I tend to agree with you that at this point it's irrelevant -with one caveat.

As a judgement of the GM's performance to see which QB's he passed on.  Obviously TL is irrelevant in that scenario.

The #1 reason it’s getting reported on this season is that there was no rookie class of QBs in this year’s draft to track. Last year, QBs went 1-2-3, so of course it’s going to remain a story. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

So far he looks like the game has slowed down for him compared to last year. His feet are calmer and he’s making his reads quicker. We’ll see if that eliminates the dumb mistakes as the Jets ramp up the passing attack as the season goes on. That by itself is encouraging after the three years of watching Darnold fail to improve at all. You could watch Darnold today and you’d see the same player he was in his rookie year. 

Does he really make dumb mistakes? He didn’t throw a pick the last 5 weeks of last season and you could argue they neither pick vs Pittsburgh was his fault. He didn’t throw a turnover worthy throw last week either. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I should clarify that it's not totally worthless, it's just of limited use.  Judging a GM's choice in a given class would definitely be one use of that data, although I'd say not quite yet in this case.

The expectation of any QB, of any age, that is named starter, is to play at the level expected of a starting QB.  I expect Zach to compete (production/performance wise) with Mahomes, Cousins, Geno Smith (lol), not just T.L. or the rest of that draft class.  Limiting it to that class can provide very misleading results, and misses the point.  It's not good enough to be good amongst your draft class, a QB needs to be good, period, end stop, against all other QB's.

I'd also say that a forum (like this one) that has endlessly used the phrases "cannot judge, too early, need to give him time" engaged in some hypocritical irony proclaiming Zach as anything the second he eclipses T.L., not even for their careers (yet) but just for 2022, and not in real metrics but in PFF Rankings, lol.  What happened to all that "reserve judgement", "be patient" and "give them the rest of this year" talk?  Just makes me laugh, not because I am a T.L. fan in any way (as my post history will VERY clearly show, lol), or even because I don't get it, but just the silly and obvious hypocrisy of it all.  

Wilson seems to be on a upward trajectory, and he's won both his starts.  That is a very, very good thing.  The game vs. Green Bay will be a legitimate test, and I look forward to seeing how he does there.  I continue to hope he becomes what he biggest supporters here think he is, because that is what's best for the Jets and for our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1