Chris Simms sounds off on Jets fans

Jetlife33

15 hours ago, derp said:

Genuinely, if you don't have an answer against pressure it's super easy for defenses. They will just blitz you into oblivion until you show you can beat it. It's of course harder when defenses can get pressure with four, but if you can't take advantage of their being less guys in coverage when they bring more, then they'll just do that until you show them you have an answer.

Everybody focuses on wins, completion percentage, athleticism, arm strength, and who throws a nice ball when it comes to college prospects. But I cannot recall a quarterback who has learned how to handle pressure at the professional level. I think it's an intrinsic trait, and it's critical. The best guys make good decisions against pressure with relative consistency. Wilson basically played behind a wall at BYU and some of us thought it was a big deal to not have an answer to that question (or very little answer, and not a good one when it existed).

He needs to show an answer this season. If he can't beat the blitz, teams will just blitz him, and it will never matter how pretty things look when it's clean.

To me, the Hall and AVT injuries are evidence of how fragile things are in this league. The Jets have a nice, cheap, talented young core right now. This is, with the right QB, a team that has a window to see if they can make the playoffs, get lucky, and go on a little run. If I was in charge I'd be closely monitoring Wilson's progress and have an eye towards guys with those more "good at playing the quarterback position" traits than tools in college and, if the progress isn't there, see if I can make a run at someone on a rookie deal while guys like Sauce, AVT, Hall, and Garrett Wilson are productive and cheap. If that means taking a shot on Hendon Hooker or giving up a ton of picks and some of the misfit young pieces to go get a Bryce Young, so be it.

This is not a window I'd want to look back and think I wasted just to see if Zach Wilson was the outlier in terms of adapting to the NFL level on his rookie deal. And ultimately, those competitions have worked out for both players at points - Brees and Rivers come to mind. I'd rather potentially have too many answers at QB than have one question mark, and I just can't see how Wilson is anything but a question mark right now.

And nothing would make me happier than being wrong about Wilson. But I see the same reasons I wouldn't have taken him at 2 and played him cropping up.

Well Done Reaction GIF

18 hours ago, derp said:

Genuinely, if you don't have an answer against pressure it's super easy for defenses. They will just blitz you into oblivion until you show you can beat it. It's of course harder when defenses can get pressure with four, but if you can't take advantage of their being less guys in coverage when they bring more, then they'll just do that until you show them you have an answer.

Everybody focuses on wins, completion percentage, athleticism, arm strength, and who throws a nice ball when it comes to college prospects. But I cannot recall a quarterback who has learned how to handle pressure at the professional level. I think it's an intrinsic trait, and it's critical. The best guys make good decisions against pressure with relative consistency. Wilson basically played behind a wall at BYU and some of us thought it was a big deal to not have an answer to that question (or very little answer, and not a good one when it existed).

He needs to show an answer this season. If he can't beat the blitz, teams will just blitz him, and it will never matter how pretty things look when it's clean.

To me, the Hall and AVT injuries are evidence of how fragile things are in this league. The Jets have a nice, cheap, talented young core right now. This is, with the right QB, a team that has a window to see if they can make the playoffs, get lucky, and go on a little run. If I was in charge I'd be closely monitoring Wilson's progress and have an eye towards guys with those more "good at playing the quarterback position" traits than tools in college and, if the progress isn't there, see if I can make a run at someone on a rookie deal while guys like Sauce, AVT, Hall, and Garrett Wilson are productive and cheap. If that means taking a shot on Hendon Hooker or giving up a ton of picks and some of the misfit young pieces to go get a Bryce Young, so be it.

This is not a window I'd want to look back and think I wasted just to see if Zach Wilson was the outlier in terms of adapting to the NFL level on his rookie deal. And ultimately, those competitions have worked out for both players at points - Brees and Rivers come to mind. I'd rather potentially have too many answers at QB than have one question mark, and I just can't see how Wilson is anything but a question mark right now.

And nothing would make me happier than being wrong about Wilson. But I see the same reasons I wouldn't have taken him at 2 and played him cropping up.

I ran a mock draft that i posted in the draft forum where I picked Hooker in the third round for the reasons you stated. I like the way he plays, but I have concerns because he's older and I don't know how he will translate to the pros after playing in the same offensive system that made Bryce Petty look good. 

• Upvote 1

Hey not every 23-year-old can get shot out of a cannon and turn into Marino, Elway, or Manning. We do understand that that's very rare correct? I think we need to give the kid a f****** break he hasn't turned the ball over and he hasn't lost us any games.

Also football is a team sport and it takes all three phases and I think we've been doing just fine~

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

Hey not every 23-year-old can get shot out of a cannon and turn into Marino, Elway, or Manning. We do understand that that's very rare correct? I think we need to give the kid a f****** break he hasn't turned the ball over and he hasn't lost us any games.

Also football is a team sport and it takes all three phases and I think we've been doing just fine~

Dude, you better duck, quick!

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

Anyone else want to argue about Zach and him being careless with the ball?  How many times does he have to run towards the sideline then throw it - THROW IT OUT OF BOUNDS.  Simms can suck it.

3 hours ago, sciond said:

OK Simms....

6 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Fück off Sims, you're not qualified to evaluate QB's. You sücked as a player too. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Simms and Brady Quinn 

ooof

Simms will destroy LaFleur this week and blame him for Wilson’s int’s, bank it

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...