So is Joe Douglas getting fired?

Matt39

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

“ anyone “ but Zach Wilson is a first start. Other than that who knows. Lot of teams don’t have that answer yet either. Not even team we share stadium with. Will have to see who is available, if they want to come here, how much $$$. Unless it’s jimmy G, probably another vet who will compete with Mike white, or another if he walks away. Zach will be number 3.

It’s a valid question. Douglas hides during the season. Zach Wilson is his pick. The Jets are in no man’s land. Strevler is Ray Lucas. I’m sure it gets some buzz but the playoffs are out and the team is dead again.z

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time believing that Saleh and MLF wanted Zach Wilson.   I don’t know whether they would have wanted Trey Lance or Justin Fields either.  I think they liked what they had in SF, and Jimmy G worked for them-a balanced roster that does not put too many eggs on the QB.   I think they would take Jimmy G tomorrow.  We were better with Darnold for 5 years and Chase/Pitts.

I believe that JD and Woody basically hijacked the draft process, overly focused on rebooting the rookie QB contract, and pushed for Wilson.  And then Saleh and MLF were not going to do what Harbaugh did for Lamar-they were sticking to their system, and Wilson had to play in it.   Even a QB like Mike White, going to practice everyday, could succeed in that system.  Zach Wilson could not.

So I do think that Woody sees this and will avoid wanting to eat fired GM/HC salary.  I think he lets them run out their term without having to fire them.   Unless the Jets get lucky with a QB next year that does not bust their cap (remember, we are carrying Zach for 1-2 years, regardless of who we get new), this is now a two year build.  

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He drafted Zach Wilson and Mechi Becton in the first round. Two if the biggest busts in NFL history.

Calling a tackle that played really well his rookie year but hasn't been able to stay healthy and "all time draft bust" is asinine.  

Zach is in that department however.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woody Johnson.  Maybe write him a stern letter to sell the team?  Short of that its Joe Douglas or bust, dude.  Woody fires him and he'll hire someone far less competent.

Becton was a huge miss, as was Wilson.  But the rest of the roster is the best we've seen in 12 years.  Even if Douglas isn't great, he's the best caliber of GM we're gonna ever get under this owner.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there.

If anyone of significance gets fired any time soon it will be Saleh.  Maybe LaFleur goes as a scapegoat of sorts this offseason.  We'll see.

The 2015 roster was better albeit built on free agency. The current roster has Breece Hall coming off an injury. Garret Wilson is fine but drops a ton of passes and seems like a bit of a headcase if he’s not getting the ball. Gardner as a corner is fine but doesn’t impact the game like an edge rusher. Quinnen is great but it’s a contract year. Does he deserve Donald money? Is this team headed in the right direction with Garrapolo or Minshew?

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s a valid question. Douglas hides during the season. Zach Wilson is his pick. The Jets are in no man’s land. Strevler is Ray Lucas. I’m sure it gets some buzz but the playoffs are out and the team is dead again.z

Yes there will be 2 qbs ahead of Zach next yr going into season. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The 2015 roster was better albeit built on free agency. The current roster has Breece Hall coming off an injury. Garret Wilson is fine but drops a ton of passes and seems like a bit of a headcase if he’s not getting the ball. Gardner as a corner is fine but doesn’t impact the game like an edge rusher. Quinnen is great but it’s a contract year. Does he deserve Donald money? Is this team headed in the right direction with Garrapolo or Minshew?

The mere idea that you’re asking me that last question suggests we are indeed headed in the right direction.  The ‘15 squad was NOT a “QB away”, because even very good QB play couldn’t even get that roster to the postseason. 

All comes down to next draft, really.  Douglas puts together another good one (not even great, good) and this is an elite roster outside of QB. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mere idea that you’re asking me that last question suggests we are indeed headed in the right direction.  The ‘15 squad was NOT a “QB away”, because even very good QB play couldn’t even get that roster to the postseason. 

All comes down to next draft, really.  Douglas puts together another good one (not even great, good) and this is an elite roster outside of QB. 

Does it come down to another draft though? In hindsight this team beating Trevor Simien and Matt Rypien looks less impressive by the second. Quinnen Williams is a stud. Breece Hall if healthy is a stud. Besides that the roster is still barren and still doesn’t have a quarterback. Why do we trust Douglas to draft another?

Just now, Matt39 said:

Does it come down to another draft though? In hindsight this team beating Trevor Simien and Matt Rypien looks less impressive by the second. Quinnen Williams is a stud. Breece Hall if healthy is a stud. Besides that the roster is still barren and still doesn’t have a quarterback. Why do we trust Douglas to draft another?

Barren?  There’s at least one stud in every position group but QB and LB.  AVT, Breece, Garrett, QW, Sauce.  That’s not “barren”.  Far from it.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, batman10023 said:

Wilson yes. Benton not really. 

you think someone else good is coming after firing a gm with these draft picks. 

It’s a fair question but I don’t know how there isn’t consequences for drafting Wilson. He isn’t an NFL QB.

26 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s a fair question but I don’t know how there isn’t consequences for drafting Wilson. He isn’t an NFL QB.

If every GM who failed miserably on a QB got fired for it, hardly anyone would last more than 3 years on the job.  Even Ozzie Newsome once used a top-20 pick on Kyle Boller.

Now, granted, Wilson wasn’t your ordinary miss.  It was a # 2 in a loaded draft class for a guy with some pretty serious red flags.  But QB is the hardest position in all of pro sports to evaluate so I’m not willing to make that a firable offense on its own.  

Another Becton type miss, though, and now you’re talking.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If every GM who failed miserably on a QB got fired for it, hardly anyone would last more than 3 years on the job.  Even Ozzie Newsome once used a top-20 pick on Kyle Boller.

Now, granted, Wilson wasn’t your ordinary miss.  It was a # 2 in a loaded draft class for a guy with some pretty serious red flags.  But QB is the hardest position in all of pro sports to evaluate so I’m not willing to make that a firable offense on its own.  

JD has done the worst job possible at the league's most important position though.  I get what you're saying about QB whiffs, and don't necessarily disagree, although Wilson is on track to be making all-time bust lists.  However, even worse is that since the day he's shown up the roster has been built with the concept of very clearly trying to force the guy he chose as the only viable option and avoid any legit competition at the position.  Even before ZW, he was infatuated with Darnold and made the point of him having a clear unimpeded path to the starting job.

He can still recover from it, but he has to immediately start doing everything 100% differently at the position than he has to date.

• Upvote 2

What's up? Stub your toe and you're in a foul mood? Cat threw up on the carpet?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Next year then? Who gets held accountable for this train wreck?

How about, you know, the players? The offense score 0 points basically (other than the turnover). They basically gave up on this game. Get the feeling there will be quite a few guys being dropped in the offseason (here's looking at you 84, 78, possibly 83, maybe 2, etc).

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s the quarterback next season?

That's a question for the offseason. Nothing gets fixed the next few weeks. But there a bunch of options. Some of this will depend on what happens the rest of the season, what White wants to do, who's available, etc. So many options.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

JD has done the worst job possible at the league's most important position though.  I get what you're saying about QB whiffs, and don't necessarily disagree, although Wilson is on track to be making all-time bust lists.  However, even worse is that since the day he's shown up the roster has been built with the concept of very clearly trying to force the guy he chose as the only viable option and avoid any legit competition at the position.  Even before ZW, he was infatuated with Darnold and made the point of him having a clear unimpeded path to the starting job.

He can still recover from it, but he has to immediately start doing everything 100% differently at the position than he has to date.

All very fair criticism here.

Whiff on the next QB, whether a vet or rookie, and it’s firing time.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd even challenge that notion. If you're missing on the 1st round, but are acquiring talent elsewhere, at a reasonable price, who cares.

Last year, we hit on Sauce, GW, Breece, Mitchell, Clemons is looking good, JJ is looking good. Year before that, AVT is a stud, Moore (hopefully) is good, both Carters are solid contributions. We've also added some talent through waiver pick-ups and UFDA.

I get that the 1st rounders are flashy, but you could miss on every single 1st round pick and still put together a solid roster. What is the talent level across the team. We're in a good spot for MOST positions.

QB is, unfortunately, still a work in progress. :( 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He drafted Zach Wilson and Mechi Becton in the first round. Two if the biggest busts in NFL history.

and his FA signings Tomlinson, Lawson, over Judon and Hendrickson who were

available at the same time as CL and signed for less money. Butter fingers Davis the

body catcher

• Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

what consequences? do you want to dock him money?

he just drafted 2 OROY candidates a one DROY. found Quincy, Huff and Bam of the scrap heap. he is not getting fired for Wilson.

every GM has misses.

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas is the best GM we've had in a long, long time. He is an Ozzie Newsome disciple -- one of the best GMs in NFL history. Even the great Oz had a bad pick or two (See QB Kyle Boller and WR Breshard Perriman, 1st round busts).

Be careful of what you wish for. We could do a lot worse. JD will fix this.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Becton bust 

Mims bust 

wilson bust 

moore bust 

that is 4 consecutive busts in 1st and 2nd round picks 

Becton is a DNF

Mims is terrible

Wilson is terrible

Moore a bust? What are you smoking buddy? He needs a QB that can actually get the ball in his hands regularly.

That is then followed by Sauce, GW, JJ and Breece (2 OROY and a DPOY). That last draft outshines the 2 misses you listed from the two previous ears.

• Upvote 1