Player Development

I have seen a lot of comments about the Jets coaching staff not developing players lately so I wanted to take a moment to point out players that seem to be being developed.

Not all of these guys are prime time, but several are. Not all of them required a ton of coaching to be developed - Sauce, for example, is just a stud. BUT - the coaches have put him in a position to perform at a high level and I consider that part of player development. Others like Max Mitchell & Jeremey Ruckert we haven't seen a lot from yet, but these are later round picks that have shown growth and promise - aka - development.

• Michael Carter II
  • Quinnen Williams
  • Micheal Clemons
  • Jermaine Johnson
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff
  • Sauce Gardener
  • DJ Reed
  • Garrett Wilson
  • Quincy Williams
  • Breece Hall
  • Zonovan Knight
  • Jeremy Ruckert
  • AVT
  • Max Mitchell
  • Mike White

So while they aren't perfect and have obviously whiffed big on some guys like Wilson & Mims - there is clearly some solid player development going on with this coaching staff. Steady upwards improvement despite the late season collapse. I'm excited to see how they can build on this in 23, especially if they can bring in 2-3 more difference makers. 

The idea that this staff hasn't developed any players is pretty far off, IMO.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

I'm not worried about the young guys.

I just want the dead weight and bad contracts like Corey Davis, Uzomah and Conklin off this roster so they have the cap space to address QB, OL and other needs in FA.

Davis is cuttable now, but they have to wait a year on the TEs because Douglas inexplicably decided to pay both of those guys legit TE1 money.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have seen a lot of comments about the Jets coaching staff not developing players lately so I wanted to take a moment to point out players that seem to be being developed.

Not all of these guys are prime time, but several are. Not all of them required a ton of coaching to be developed - Sauce, for example, is just a stud. BUT - the coaches have put him in a position to perform at a high level and I consider that part of player development. Others like Max Mitchell & Jeremey Ruckert we haven't seen a lot from yet, but these are later round picks that have shown growth and promise - aka - development.

• Michael Carter II
  • Quinnen Williams
  • Micheal Clemons
  • Jermaine Johnson
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff
  • Sauce Gardener
  • DJ Reed
  • Garrett Wilson
  • Quincy Williams
  • Breece Hall
  • Zonovan Knight
  • Jeremy Ruckert
  • Max Mitchell
  • Mike White

So while they aren't perfect and have obviously whiffed big on some guys like Wilson & Mims - there is clearly some solid player development going on with this coaching staff. Steady upwards improvement despite the late season collapse. I'm excited to see how they can build on this in 23, especially if they can bring in 2-3 more difference makers. 

agane we gotta rebuld once again its joke a qb that has a little bit of exprince

I just want the dead weight and bad contracts like Corey Davis, Uzomah and Conklin off this roster so they have the cap space to address QB, OL and other needs in FA.
Davis is cuttable now, but they have to wait a year on the TEs because Douglas inexplicably decided to pay both of those guys legit TE1 money.
I really like to see how Conklin and Uzomah would have done in an actual offense

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• Michael Carter II
  • Quinnen Williams
  • Micheal Clemons
  • Jermaine Johnson
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff
  • Sauce Gardener
  • DJ Reed
  • Garrett Wilson
  • Quincy Williams
  • Breece Hall
  • Zonovan Knight
  • Jeremy Ruckert
  • Max Mitchell
  • Mike White

You left out AVT who performed well above average at both Left and Right tackle.   He's got a lot of talent to begin with, but having him excel at those positions while also being a pro-bowl level guard is huge.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• Michael Carter II
  • Quinnen Williams
  • Micheal Clemons
  • Jermaine Johnson
  • JFM
  • Bryce Huff
  • Sauce Gardener
  • DJ Reed
  • Garrett Wilson
  • Quincy Williams
  • Breece Hall
  • Zonovan Knight
  • Jeremy Ruckert
  • Max Mitchell
  • Mike White

Every offensive player got worse as the year went ok except G. Wilson. LaFleur hasn’t developed shit! Defense? Can’t complain, lot of awesome progress there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

What about all the players who are playing better for other teams than they did here?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m afraid we’re gonna start to see more of this the longer saleh and his good buddies stay here. It’s a shame and I can’t blame some of the younger players on offense if they want to go somewhere else.

wtf happened to Michael carter? He regressed and so did Moore 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, BP said:

I’m afraid we’re gonna start to see more of this the longer saleh and his good buddies stay here. It’s a shame and I can’t blame some of the younger players on offense if they want to go somewhere else.

is it really "regressing"?  ZERO O line and NO qb?

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Conklin is the 15th highest cap hit among TEs.  This season, he wws 12th in yardage and 10th in receptions among tight ends.  His cap hit is not out of line with production we got.  Uzomah on the other hand will have the 9th highest hit next year but was 42nd in receptions and 41st in yardage.  He was paid like a TE1, but did not produce to that level. 

Conklin, imo, is fine.

• Upvote 4

You are absolutely right. Just about every player on offense regressed and a lot on defense too. I also read from the beat writers that the Jets were in big trouble if Connor McDermott were to see the field. Then he goes to NE and plays a very good RT the last 6 or so weeks. Van Rotten is another one with the Bills. Theres a good amount of others too. You are 100% right that this will continue and probably get much worse the longer this staff is here.

• Upvote 2

Good post. Outside of the QB development, which has obviously been non-existent, player development has been good. A lot of people will go off about how talented the roster is and it’s all young players. There are no high priced free agents on this team (yet).

I don’t want to hear about the OL because no amount of player development could’ve withstood those injuries. And even so, they would get credit for developing AVT into an all-pro talent. Max Mitchell looked like a player as well

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

is it really "regressing"?  ZERO O line and NO qb?

Yeah it is. I’m tired of hearing about the oline. If it’s so bad, why did doofus call runs against an 11 man front and run blitz? Nobody in the league can run like the 1990 giants anymore.

You have to be unpredictable and try and keep the defense off balance. It’s a simple thing called good coaching.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

You are absolutely right. Just about every player on offense regressed and a lot on defense too. I also read from the beat writers that the Jets were in big trouble if Connor McDermott were to see the field. Then he goes to NE and plays a very good RT the last 6 or so weeks. Van Rotten is another one with the Bills. Theres a good amount of others too. You are 100% right that this will continue and probably get much worse the longer this staff is here.

Why do you think everyone is raiding our practice squad every week? Lol the league knows already

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, RSJ said:

This is why I want the coaching staff gone this year. Its been proven around the league that the front office has the ability to find talent. I fear we get rid of both next year and start over when really the only thing broken is the coaching.

You want the coaching staff gone because they're developing talent?

:thumbup:

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Main cut guys for most money would be Lawson, Davis, and Mosley. Those guys can be replaced with younger guys already on the team that would have more upside and the money saved on those 3 can get us the higher priced QB we need.

43 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Every offensive player got worse as the year went ok except G. Wilson. LaFleur hasn’t developed sh*t! Defense? Can’t complain, lot of awesome progress there. 

I wouldn't credit LaFleur but 

• Breece
  • AVT
  • Zonavon
  • Ruckert
  • Mitchell

All of these players showed growth/development this year.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• Breece
  • AVT
  • Zonavon
  • Ruckert
  • Mitchell

Agreed, more like JD just hit on these cats, he has a good eye for the draft. There's no denying it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

• Breece
  • AVT
  • Zonavon
  • Ruckert
  • Mitchell

Breece showed up OROY level. One could argue LaFleur couldn’t manage without him. AVT? It was impressive Hie versatile he was and I’ll give credit for the confidence and  creativity in how LaFleue used him. Bam was a great pick up, bit not sure why he wasn’t used as if late , injury? Ruckert! I’ll give that to him, they paid a lot  for the two tight ends he didn’t use well in my opinion but Ruckert had a nice dominant game blocking and caught a nice ball yesterday. If he monsters out next year that will go to LaFleurs credit. Mitchell? No idea. Haha 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Breece showed up OROY level. One could argue LaFleur couldn’t manage without him. AVT? It was impressive Hie versatile he was and I’ll give credit for the confidence and  creativity in how LaFleue used him. Bam was a great pick up, bit not sure why he wasn’t used as if Kate, injury? Ruckert! I’ll give that to him, they paid a lot  for the two tight ends he didn’t use well in my opinion but Ruckert has a nice dominant game blocking and caught a nice catch yesterday. If he monsters out next year that will go to LaFleurs credit. Mitchell? No idea. Haha 

Breece started out slowly before he took off. I specifically remember Saleh speaking to his slow start early and talking about how he needed to learn to just take that one cut and go. Wasn't long after hear went on his tear.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

Conklin is the 15th highest cap hit among TEs.  This season, he wws 12th in yardage and 10th in receptions among tight ends.  His cap hit is not out of line with production we got.  Uzomah on the other hand will have the 9th highest hit next year but was 42nd in receptions and 41st in yardage.  He was paid like a TE1, but did not produce to that level. 

Conklin, imo, is fine.

I don't see what the issue is with Conklin either ... it's like people expected him to suddenly explode because we signed him.

Here are his stats for the last two years - one with Minnesota, one with us:

image.thumb.png.815d1966cd66be5e816fce8fcfe4a233.png

Pretty consistent! Tough to feel that he underperformed ... those who feel he did probably set too high an expectation in the first place.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

OMG Cocky B!!!

I mostly agree w/you breece was obviously just a dude. I do think we saw some growth from his first games though. Not all development is equal.

My main point in the thread was to counter this narrative that there's no player development happening with this coaching staff. I think we've seen plenty. Problem is we missed on the biggest player and people act like that means nothing is happening.

• Upvote 1