GM Joe Douglas End Of Season Press Conference

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

89D0DBFA-350F-4B1E-AC96-E9D128BDB824.thumb.jpeg.baf262a0e7a5b3d310eb0c9f03d17ace.jpeg25C24EF2-BC99-4A05-BC96-A4C0B6FFEE20.thumb.jpeg.0b427256b0dc105c9a25f3ec59873bef.jpeg0083DDDF-E547-4206-B9CD-ECCA4F29A802.thumb.jpeg.5acf0b1449d840c3ada259a950376e1f.jpeg5720083D-C67A-4D56-85A0-31DCFDDCA516.thumb.jpeg.bb7c9d5a8014a50c7706be34893baeab.jpeg

Thoughts: Douglas is very pissed off.  Changes on the staff are coming (we knew this).  If someone like Lamar Jackson becomes available, they will strike with massive aggression, and Quinnen is going to be a part of that package.

Wow, you got that from those tweets? Impressive. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

And instantly became the best WR we’ve had since Decker/Marshall, with a lovely carousel of QBs throwing to him, not a savvy veteran.  I genuinely believe Wilson has Justin Jefferson potential.  You don’t want him becoming the next guy to demand out.

He is the most talented WR this team has had since Al Toon. And he knows  the QB carousel is costing him $ because his numbers are depressed thanks to this black hole of a QB room. Seems like a good guy but who knows when he gets pissed off enough to demand a trade. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the simple fact is the jets have a terrible QB that Joe used a top draft pick to get-Joe has failed the organization on the most important position in sports.

Joe brought us Morgan, Wilson, Joe F Mike White and Strev. -does he not watch football? How can  a guy that is a GM not know what a decent QB looks like?

When he drafted Zach he was tied to him forever-if Zach became elite (was never going to happen) Joe would have been worshipped by everybody-Zach is a total bomb-Joe needs to be held accountable for that but he wont.

Joe also hired terrible coaches -look what the Giants and Jaqs did with first  year coaches 

In fairness, the organizations he came from both have had their struggles at QB. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the simple fact is the jets have a terrible QB that Joe used a top draft pick to get-Joe has failed the organization on the most important position in sports.

Joe brought us Morgan, Wilson, Joe F Mike White and Strev. -does he not watch football? How can  a guy that is a GM not know what a decent QB looks like?

When he drafted Zach he was tied to him forever-if Zach became elite (was never going to happen) Joe would have been worshipped by everybody-Zach is a total bomb-Joe needs to be held accountable for that but he wont.

Joe also hired terrible coaches -look what the Giants and Jaqs did with first  year coaches 

If FQB's were that easy to get , every team would have one. You need to be extremely lucky even when picking #1 in the draft to land that guy. 

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If FQB's were that easy to get , every team would have one. You need to be extremely lucky even when picking #1 in the draft to land that guy. 

Didn't have to be lucky at all. Everyone knew what Lawrence was. Top 5 QB for the second half of the season. 

Not securing the tank was 100% on Joe Douglas - Not Gase, not the players, only him. He should never be allowed to live that down. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He also screwed up the ZW benching.  One day he wasn't thinking at all about benching ZW.  The next day he's benched.  Then 3 weeks later he's back in.  Then he's benched again.   One day he talks "instant coffee" then he talks about a "reset".

Total incoherence. Pavlov's dogs were less mind f@#%ed. 

And we witnessed this in real time. Now, imagine the head games Mims and Moore participated in for two seasons.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’d be a bit much. Dude has been in the league for ten minutes

Having a fragile rookie qb paired with a first time NFL offensive coordinator is a recipe for disaster. Shifting of blame and accountability leads to a toxic environment. Really bad idea. Someone has to stand up in the room.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Didn't have to be lucky at all. Everyone knew what Lawrence was. Top 5 QB for the second half of the season. 

Not securing the tank was 100% on Joe Douglas - Not Gase, not the players, only him. He should never be allowed to live that down. 

TL was just as bad as ZW last season. Jax brought in Doug Pedersen(HC) , Press Taylor(OC), Mike McCoy(QB) and JIm Bob Cooter (Passing Game Coor) to help out their young QB and to help him develop. The difference in the 2nd half of this season was clearly evident. Meanwhile the Jets have Lafleur a defensive minded HC , Rob Calabrese(QB) and no Passing Game Coordinator. TL would be labeled a bust with this current Jets staff. 

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

Time heals all wounds. Look at the people fondly reminiscing about how Tannenbaum built a team despite drafting Sanchez and a long list of bad moves.

If I'm Woody, I tell JD look you're safe as long as you:

1)  Fix the QB position next season, or at least find a quality stopgap

2)  Overhaul pro scouting dept -- the egregious Conk + CJU contracts, Laken Tomlinson, the CAR center they paid 10M to come out of retirement, Corey freaking Davis, George Fant, Connor McGovern, Dan Feeney, etc.

3) Win the '23 draft or at least don't whiff

BONUS: Get something out of Becton

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

TL was just as bad as ZW last season. Jax brought in Doug Pedersen(HC) , Press Taylor(OC), Mike McCoy(QB) and JIm Bob Cooter (Passing Game Coor) to help out their young QB and to help him develop. The difference in the 2nd half of this season was clearly evident. Meanwhile the Jets have Lafleur a defensive minded HC , Rob Calabrese(QB) and no Passing Game Coordinator. TL would be labeled a bust with this current Jets staff. 

So you're going to remain firmly on the "I think Zach Wilson is an elite talent" train, until the Jets clean house, replacing the entire staff, and hiring a new staff custom designed to support Zach Wilson, and then see how that works out.  

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you're going to remain firmly on the "I think Zach Wilson is an elite talent" train, until the Jets clean house, replacing the entire staff, and hiring a new staff custom designed to support Zach Wilson, and then see how that works out.  

Nope just saying the difference between the #1 and #2 picks developing may come down to competence from the CS.  I'd like to see MLF go but if not at least bring in some quality offensive assistants to help out. In addition I'm all for bringing in Carr to start while trying to salvage ZW. 

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nope just saying the difference between the #1 and #2 picks developing may come down to competence from the CS.

i.e. not because Lawrence is more talented, worked harder, etc., but just because he had better coaches?

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd like to see MLF go but if not at least bring in some quality offensive assistants to help out. In addition I'm all for bringing in Carr to start while trying to salvage ZW. 

Sounds like you're mostly in-line with JD.

Seems like they'll bring in another O-Coach to help, but not fire LaFluer.  

And I'm still unconvinced we're bringing in any veteran QB to start.  We might be seeing Zach start again in 2023.

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nope just saying the difference between the #1 and #2 picks developing may come down to competence from the CS.  I'd like to see MLF go but if not at least bring in some quality offensive assistants to help out. In addition I'm all for bringing in Carr to start while trying to salvage ZW. 

The same coaching staff was able to get MW (when healthy) and even Josh Johnson to show how this offense can be run in an efficient chain-moving fashion with a QB who knows what he's doing.

The footwork can be drilled to infinity (if he puts in the work and is receptive to real coaching, which is anybody's guess).

But I don't think ZW's biggest problems are fixable via coaching:

1) lack of pocket poise / instincts / awareness

2)  inability to see the field

3)  the absence of any sense of timing and anticipation (never seen a QB miss so many routine passes by 5+ yards)

4)  Refusal to step up in the pocket and absorb some degree of punishment in order to make a play

5) Has already lost the locker room.  Despite what they say publicly, his teammates don't respect him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

i.e. not because Lawrence is more talented, worked harder, etc., but just because he had better coaches?

Sounds like you're mostly in-line with JD.

Seems like they'll bring in another O-Coach to help, but not fire LaFluer.  

And I'm still unconvinced we're bringing in any veteran QB to start.  We might be seeing Zach start again in 2023.

I feel it(coaching) played a major role in Lawrence evolving this season. Both of these kids oozed physical talent coming out of college. TL had a better foundation in playing the QB role at Clemson than Zach had at BYU. Regardless TL just like Zach struggled mightily in his first season.  This season the Jags brought in coaches who were prepared to get the best out of TL just like Daboll and Kakfa have done with Daniel Jones.  We can bash ZW all we want and it may very well come down to he's just not good, but the Jets as an organization have to see if they can mine the gold like the Jags and Giants have done with their perspective QB busts. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you…

I really think that it is FF run amok for many out here. I saw no indication of JD wanting to trade Q in that presser whatsoever!

JD has said repeatedly that he wants to lock up QW.  Given how good he’s been on the field and that he gives the team 0 grief I don’t see why he shouldn’t be taken at his word. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

He is the most talented WR this team has had since Al Toon. And he knows  the QB carousel is costing him $ because his numbers are depressed thanks to this black hole of a QB room. Seems like a good guy but who knows when he gets pissed off enough to demand a trade. 

He had 1100 yards on 80+ receptions. The QB carousel this season hasn’t cost him a dime.  If JD addresses the QB position as he says he will he won’t have a thing to complain about. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Trevor Lawrence was a once every 10 year type of prospect. Yes the coaching helps, but his ceiling was always the highest of the class.  He was also the most pro ready. Wilson was always a dice roll.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Trevor Lawrence was a once every 10 year type of prospect. Yes the coaching helps, but his ceiling was always the highest of the class.  He was also the most pro ready. Wilson was always a dice roll.

Disagree about the 1 in 10 year prospect.  The guy was over hyped because he was on a great Clemson team. 

Edited by 56mehl56