Aaron Rodgers + Nathaniel Hackett

k-met57

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets kind of set a soft deadline for March 12. But the sense out of the Combine is that the Packers goal for 2023 is somewhat of a constructive rebuild. They want to reset their books while investing in a youth/rookie movement. Will they outright tell Aaron they want to move on from him? Probably not, but they seem to expect that he won’t be thrilled with their plan. People with the Jets think (hope?) that Aaron just wants them to be honest and admit their true intentions… if it’s to move in a different direction so that they can mutually agree to part ways, and while the Packers won’t admit it publically that seems to be the rising sentiment out of GB. The one person who is a wildcard is Mark Murphy, but he’s not known to meddle into football ops much and I don’t think he’s going to force anything. 

So if Aaron decides he’s playing and they agree to work together on a trade, the Jets will do everything in their power to convince him they’re the right team for him. All that stuff would happen next week, presumably Wed-Fri assuming no curveballs with Aaron. That would give them time to go over the roster and plan with him in depth, create space, and get a head start on certain players during the tampering period. My guess is that would include checking in on Allen Lazard, the Adam Theilen/DeAndre Hopkins situations, Randall Cobb, Marvin Jones, Jamaal Williams, Billy Turner, Tim Boyle, Adrian Amos, etc. Assuming things got finalized, it would also allow Aaron to begin recruiting 

March 12th -_______- I have refreshed Twitter 71 times in the past 4 minutes I won’t make It 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 12:14 PM, Beerfish said:

I totally hate Aaron Rodgers, I wouldn't quit the team like I would if Brady signed here but I'd be anti rodgers from day one.  Hackett, obviously not a fan from his work last year but I do think he was scape goated because russel wilson is shot.

can someone please check on @Beerfish?

also shout out to all the amateur JN capologists who said this couldn't happen :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

Hmmmmmm I upvoted this post when it was originally made and I am even more excited about the post now! :) 

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, football guy said:

Jets kind of set a soft deadline for March 12. But the sense out of the Combine is that the Packers goal for 2023 is somewhat of a constructive rebuild. They want to reset their books while investing in a youth/rookie movement. Will they outright tell Aaron they want to move on from him? Probably not, but they seem to expect that he won’t be thrilled with their plan. People with the Jets think (hope?) that Aaron just wants them to be honest and admit their true intentions… if it’s to move in a different direction so that they can mutually agree to part ways, and while the Packers won’t admit it publically that seems to be the rising sentiment out of GB. The one person who is a wildcard is Mark Murphy, but he’s not known to meddle into football ops much and I don’t think he’s going to force anything. 

So if Aaron decides he’s playing and they agree to work together on a trade, the Jets will do everything in their power to convince him they’re the right team for him. All that stuff would happen next week, presumably Wed-Fri assuming no curveballs with Aaron. That would give them time to go over the roster and plan with him in depth, create space, and get a head start on certain players during the tampering period. My guess is that would include checking in on Allen Lazard, the Adam Theilen/DeAndre Hopkins situations, Randall Cobb, Marvin Jones, Jamaal Williams, Billy Turner, Tim Boyle, Adrian Amos, etc. Assuming things got finalized, it would also allow Aaron to begin recruiting 

Damn. Spot on. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, football guy said:

Don't know who will read this lol, but acquiring Aaron Rodgers would potentially solve a lot of issues long-term, and could keep this administration intact for a long-time to come. 

1. He's the one QB out there that probably won't require a long-term commitment but also catapults the Jets into playoff/championship contention immediately. He's the superstar QB who comes with a superstar salary, but he will not require the kind of long-term commitment and compensation that more suspect players like Lamar Jackson (injury history, sustainable play) and Derek Carr (meh) would require. I know its easy to say "the Jets would be a playoff team with Carr", but I find that hard to believe... you can't expect the defense to be as good as it was in the 2022 season- some regression is only natural. The offense will be new and there will be a learning curve. An elite QB mitigates that. Carr has a 63-79 career record and only 1 year of playoff experience. Lamar's injuries are piling up and given that he's a younger player with a certain playing style, it may not be a situation where he comes in and thrives immediately. Of all options, I don't think its such an overstatement to suggest he has the best chance at succeeding immediately, which is what we're looking for. 
  2. Aaron also gives you a lot more flexibility with your OL, which is an underrated aspect in all of this. We have enough talent when healthy to be stable-to-good, and the Jets will surely add more pieces throughout the offseason (some of which will be inexperienced). Aaron helps neutralize some of the inexperience because of his ability to read defenses/adjust blocking protections as well as process and release quickly... with Rodgers, that blitz/rush rate would drop significantly. 
  3. Speaking of flexibility, it also gives you a lot of margin to figure out your QB plans post-Rodgers. Whether it makes sense to you or not, people inside the building wholeheartedly believe Zach Wilson can still become a high-end starter. The old fashion way to deal with players like him is to provide them a change of scenery. The best way to do that without moving on from him would be to foster a situation with new personnel in the QB room (and at OC) that allow you to essentially "start over" and treat him like a rookie all over again. There are a lot of things that have gone wrong, but if Zach is going to rebuild his confidence and learn the commodity QB stuff, its probably best by doing so in the background- easier said then done, but a situation like this probably gives you the best shot at having him realize his potential in your own building. 
  4. Part of it requires some buy-in from the players involved. If we were to hire Hackett, that's a potential draw for Aaron. The Jets have a lot of skill on offense. Aaron's girlfriend lives in NY most of the year. Zach's idol is Aaron Rodgers and has been the current active player he turns to for advice. Steve Young, another mentor of Zach's, infamously sat and waited behind a HOF QB after being a highly touted draft pick who struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons. So there's a lot of connective tissue there to think it could go amicably. 
  5. Assuming Aaron were to play for 2 more years, you can still find ways to monitor Zach's progress in the background, but also bring in more young QBs to develop in the event he doesn't work out... perfect example: after Aaron finally became the de facto starter in his 4th year, the Packers spent a 2nd round pick on Brian Brohm as insurance. If what the Jets see out of Zach is sufficient, they can afford to take a similar approach. 
  6. With success comes job security, so assuming all went according to plan it buys Joe Douglas-Robert Saleh more years to see out their vision for the team. That could include everything from moving forward with Wilson post-Rodgers or simply drafting and developing another QB as the successor. 

OK- so how much would this 3-year plan cost?

• Trade compensation: it wouldn't cost more than what Denver sent to Seattle because Rodgers is much older, has a contract in place already, and has made it clear this is most likely his final NFL contract. Having been said, it's probably going to cost two 1st round picks. Yes, the 13th pick is a heavy price to pay, but if things went according to plan that 2024 1st would be much further down the order. Given the talent we've been able to influx over the past 2 years, this would be digestible. 
  • Aaron is due a ton of money over the remainder of his contract. The biggest factor is his $58.3 million guaranteed option bonus due at some point during the 2023 season (March-final game). It's all very technical and complex, but the Jets can trade for him, pick up the option, and spread it out through the final 2 years + 2 dummy "void" years of the deal, making the cap hits more manageable. If he were to retire after one year there would be some relief. The caveat would be high dead-cap bills in 2025-26, but with the salary cap rising exponentially each year, this may not be that big of an issue. 
  • This is where things get interesting. If the Jets are smitten with Zach's progress throughout 2023 behind the scenes and are confident enough to move forward with him as the starter on a "prove-it" deal, the Jets can pickup his option for 2025. Assuming Rodgers were to play at least 26% of the snaps next year, Zach would not be eligible for any of the high-end option escalators because he would not have met playing time or pro-bowl qualifications. Given such, his 5th year option would likely cost around $20 million. Given how much QBs are getting, this will be an extremely affordable salary for a starting QB in 2025 - a year where having a cheap starter will be beneficial given the dead-cap tied into the Rodgers deal. If they are not smitten with his progress, they can simply decline the option and move forward with a draft pick from 2024-25 or another veteran. 
  • If the scenario were to play out that included Zach playing in 2025 on his option, you can either (1) let him walk if he's not good enough; (2) negotiate and try to reach an extension; or (3) franchise tag him if all else fails. 

Of all the QBs available, Aaron Rodgers is who I want and who I think Woody Johnson and Joe Douglas would be most interested in. Time will tell if I'm right 

snl s reactions GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ouch

Yup. 100% wrong.

Hope I’m equally wrong on both my short term projection of results and my pessimism re: the long term ramifications of the trade.

Im ok being wrong. Happens all the time. Just not as often as I’m right, lol.

Just now, Warfish said:

Yup. 100% wrong.

Hope I’m equally wrong on both my short term projection of results and my pessimism re: the long term ramifications of the trade.

Next up = Zach Wilson will turn his career around and become a true asset as a starting QB for the Jets.

Please please please tell me there's a near 0% chance of that happening, so it can happen. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup. 100% wrong.

I was wrong right along with you - I did not take Rodgers to the jets seriously until the beginning of March. 

Anyone willing to offer an opinion has been and will continue to be proven wrong on a regular basis 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Next up = Zach Wilson will turn his career around and become a true asset as a starting QB for the Jets.

Please please please tell me there's a near 0% chance of that happening, so it can happen. 

Happy to, it’ll never happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:25 AM, k-met57 said:

i feel like this should be talked about more. unless i am missing something this lines up perfectly

- rodgers has an inflection point in his contract this offseason which would make a trade more likely if packers want to move to Love

- hackett is coming off a failed HC gig and will be an OC candidate, obv has relationship with rodgers

- hackett and saleh have a working relationship, hackett could take the CEO of the offense type role

- Rodgers + Wilson together creates the mentor narrative that basically removes all QB controversy and lets Wilson sit for a year until TBD

what am i missing? 

Damn. 

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office