Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I’m saying if we get him, it will be the narrative.  Zach stays here longer than he should.  What’s the upside?

The 2-3 year SB window is going to close once all of the young talent starts becoming expensive. The upside is while Zach might stay longer than he should, Rodgers retiring isn't going to make it any better. In fact, it will make the situation much worse, as a great team will be wasted on a crappy QB.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lmao.  So Woody's wallet needs to be protected only in certain situations.  Got it.

It's not Woody's wallet its having like a quarter of the cap tied up in 25 and 26 to a retired player 

What happened to building the team the right way? Why did we have to live through the terrible rebuild? 

Side note 

Have you seen Aaron Rodgers play football lately? Woody's just remembering what he used to be. The owner doesn't have a track record of making good football decisions 

This whole thing has Joe Namath to the rams vibes 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Zach Wilson not being any good at QB was never - at any point - a hot take.

He literally has done nothing well since becoming a Jet.

In March 21 before the draft it was blasphemy 

People thought this guy was the savior before he played a down 

Now Rodgers is going to take this team to the super bowl? It's the same garbage 

Long story short people don't like it when you crap on their saviors 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

It's not Woody's wallet its having like a quarter of the cap tied up in 25 and 26 to a retired player 

What happened to building the team the right way? Why did we have to live through the terrible rebuild? 

Side note 

Have you seen Aaron Rodgers play football lately? Woody's just remembering what he used to be. The owner doesn't have a track record of making good football decisions 

This whole thing has Joe Namath to the rams vibes 

And Jimmy G would have brought Neil O’Donnell vibes.

There was no perfect solution at QB this offseason.  Barring Lamar Jackson being the call…Give me the guy with 2 recent MVPs and hope it was just a thumb injury holding him back.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, bitonti said:

In March 21 before the draft it was blasphemy 

People thought this guy was the savior before he played a down 

Now Rodgers is going to take this team to the super bowl? It's the same garbage 

Long story short people don't like it when you crap on their saviors 

20-30 % of this board hated the Wilson pick at the time dude. 

You weren’t being edgy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There was no perfect solution at QB this offseason

Yeah no sh*t. That's what happens when you biff the 2 overall pick, and build a team around a certified loser

you can't buy your way out of it 

If getting a franchise qb was something that teams could do in free agent no one would ever draft a qb high again 

Franchise qbs do not make it to the market. The whole thing is based on the word you used "hope" as in hope it's just a thumb injury not the inexorable passage of time 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

In 21 my hot take that turned me into a pariah was that Zach wilson isn't very good at qb 

In 23 my hot take that turns me into a pariah is that Aaron Rodgers is washed up at qb 

In a vacuum these are reasonable takes. Right now there's no tolerance for reasonable 

People are dreaming. A team with a 12 year playoff drought does not become a super bowl contender because they add a 40 year old QB 

That's not how any of that works 

You guys are just lucky I'm missing the part of my brain that distinguishes between good and bad attention 

It's not that those takes are unreasonable. Presently, you're 1 for 1.

The second one, though? Brady and Stafford come to mind.

But forget all of that for a moment. Even a diminished Rodgers is a top 1/3 of the league quarterback. And we haven't had one of those since, Favre?

Hell, at least that season was fun. 

I'd love to win a Super Bowl, but I'm also happy watching a competitive team on Sunday. The first 2/3 of last year was fun - and that was with Joe Flacco and Zach Wilson @ quarterback. 

This will be better.

Let's see the compensation and how the contract is structured before we sh*t on everything, is the real point. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Clearly.

Yet you think people treat you as a “pariah”.  lol.

Martyr much?  

I basically had to take a year away from the board the abuse was never ending 

Other posters (who are conviniently gone now) said that I hated Mormon people. 

You can call it whatever you want but I know what happened. Don't gaslight me 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If the dead cap hit of $28m were to hit us this year it would be 12% of the cap, not 25%. It will be far less than that in 2 years after QB salaries balloon more and the cap explodes with the new streaming deals.

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Posters on this board calling him a savior before the draft were a minority.

More people either preferred drafting Fields or running it back with Darnold.

Once he was drated, the board mostly rallied behind the kid hoping he was good because there was no other choice.

Then the games started. 

That is some serious re-writing of history there.

• Upvote 4

Boy he sure proved us wrong 
Never said he didn't ... I just get a chuckle out of the guys that never gave the kid a chance repeatedly slamming him any chance they get like it's some sort of weird fraternal dick slinging ritual

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Brady and Stafford come to mind.

Those two guys joined loaded playoff teams and put them over the edge 

The Jets are not loaded they are a last place team with a janky ol. 

The Favre year is a great comparison. About half a good year, the wheels fall off and everyone gets fired. That's about how this goes 

The difference is that the Jets were able to try and again quickly. The Rodgers contract means they have this massive dead space for like 2 years after Rodgers inevitably flames out 

It's a destructive short term choice and it's not going to end well. 

Like the bills are scared of Aaron Rodgers? They beat him by 10 last year 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warfish said:

That is some serious re-writing of history there.

Not sure what you're misremembering.

Zach vs Fields was a pretty even split.

As one of the more vocal "run it back w Sam" contingent, I remember having a lot of company. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If the dead cap hit of $28m were to hit us this year it would be 12% of the cap, not 25%. It will be far less than that in 2 years after QB salaries balloon more and the cap explodes with the new streaming deals.

Mahomes is 17 percent of the KC cap. 12 percent if that is in fact the number sounds like a little but it's actually a huge hindrance 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Mahomes is 17 percent of the KC cap. 12 percent if that is in fact the number sounds like a little but it's actually a huge hindrance 

Oo no, I understand that. Mahomes is the first QB to take up that much space and win a ring. 12% is usually that danger mark and that is what it would be right now. It's going to be lower in 2 years. All our big contracts won't hit until 2026.

Maybe you lose Becton, Mims, and Moore because you sign Rodgers but I'm not losing sleep over that.

If you notice on ESPN and other sites. Every free agent signing and trade refer to a “source”. Nothing definite because today wasn’t the first day of free agency. It was the first day of legal tampering. NOTHING is official until Wednesday. With Rodgers admitted hatred of the media, specifically the two guys that release everything, and the Jets wanting to respect him with this, they aren’t going to leak anything. The Packers leak, Trey Wingo, did his part. None of the Jets guys know anything. Wednesday is the official first day it can be announced and having Aaron Rodgers officially announce it his way, is likely why we won’t hear until then.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Those two guys joined loaded playoff teams and put them over the edge 

The Jets are not loaded they are a last place team with a janky ol. 

The Favre year is a great comparison. About half a good year, the wheels fall off and everyone gets fired. That's about how this goes 

The difference is that the Jets were able to try and again quickly. The Rodgers contract means they have this massive dead space for like 2 years after Rodgers inevitably flames out 

It's a destructive short term choice and it's not going to end well. 

Like the bills are scared of Aaron Rodgers? They beat him by 10 last year 

I think that you think our roster is worse than it is and that Rodgers, with no one to throw to last year, was a representative sample of what he is now as a player.

And we beat the Bills last year - with Zach Wilson. 

Rodgers only improves our chances.

Of course, this whole thing could go t!ts up - that's the nature of sports (see Hall, Breece injury). But like, we're a better team with Rodgers than we are with Wilson, White or Flacco. 

We'll see about the contract and the implications, there might be restructuring - now or in the future. 

• Upvote 3