Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

8 hours ago, ptisme said:

Rodgers is only 15 against the cap this year and that can always be manipulated.   If they offered two thirds this year and the first next year like ur guy from NY said the other day I'd be all over it.

You can't say Rodgers is only $15 against the cap. Go research his contract, look at the cap hits after year 1 whether he retires or not, then consider the fact they need to still pay Bosa and various other very good players in SF that we all can only dream of having. 

SF isn't even a credible rumor. If they gonna make up a mystery 3rd team, it should be one that makes sense. Consider the following:

1. GB would actually take worse draft picks after make a stink for a month ?

2. Cap situation, see above

3. Rodgers said a few weeks ago publicly he's not going there and could simply retire 

4. Saleh has deep ties to SF and we'd have seen WAY more urgency if the Jets were at all concerned about SF getting involved

5. Rodgers is gonna leave a system he hates with MLF to go play in the same system with MLF best bud? Seriously?

6. SF has a qb that's hurt and they love, one they spent 3x 1sts on and they can't get rid of, and one they just paid and brought in. They gonna convince them all to take a back seat while Rodgers stroles into camp sometime in mid August and operates on his own schedule?

If you (and media at large) really stop and think if this truly makes any sense first, you wouldn't get suckered into believing such nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You can't say Rodgers is only $15 against the cap. Go research his contract, look at the cap hits after year 1 whether he retires or not, then consider the fact they need to still pay Bosa and various other very good players in SF that we all can only dream of having. 

SF isn't even a credible rumor. If they gonna make up a mystery 3rd team, it should be one that makes sense. Consider the following:

As I understand it Rodgers would rework his contract ie void years to keep the hit low.   Also I agree that SFO isn't a credible rumor, was just pushing back on others comments.
15.79 million

On the flip side, to acquire Rodgers, the cap hit that the Jets have to absorb is only $15.79 million–a very reasonable number.Mar 20, 2023

16 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

1. GB would actually take worse draft picks after make a stink for a month ?

Probably, but again, for all you and I know the Jets offer RN could be worse than say two third round picks this year and a one next year.   We just don't know where either side is at.

17 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

3. Rodgers said a few weeks ago publicly he's not going there and could simply retire 

Again, if the Jets are out he'd be a fool not to play for a team with the most talent in the league sans QB with the chance to destroy the Packers every year.   If his SFO comments was true and not tongue in cheek he could change his mind.   Being a SB favorite to start the year near where he grew up with the best coach in the league is certainly better than the drama of sitting on the bench in GB just to spite them.   Better way to spite them is to kick their ass on the field.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

5. Rodgers is gonna leave a system he hates with MLF to go play in the same system with MLF best bud? Seriously?

You are aware that's the same system the Jets run right?  Except in SFO it would be run by a guy that plays chess not checkers.  Rodgers doesn't hate the system, he hated all the pre snap motion GB did both under Hack and MLF.  This is the system he won two MVP's in.

26 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

6. SF has a qb that's hurt and they love, one they spent 3x 1sts on and they can't get rid of, and one they just paid and brought in. They gonna convince them all to take a back seat while Rodgers stroles into camp sometime in mid August and operates on his own schedule?

True, though two of those quarterbacks currently are not healthy and SFO may see an opportunity to win a SB with an all time great for two years as two good to pass up...   Again I'm not saying it's likely but it's wrong to assume it's not a possibility as you all are doing.  Also I think it would be way more likely Rodgers plays multiple years out on the west coast rather than the east.   If he dumps his girlfriend (and he always does) what desire would he have to play on the other side of the country?   There's no whales breeding in NY harbor...

28 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

If you (and media at large) really stop and think if this truly makes any sense first, you wouldn't get suckered into believing such nonsense. 

Go check out the landscape in the media at large and you'll find that not only myself, but the media, have not been suckered into believing this nonsense.  It's likely a leak from the Packers.

1 hour ago, ptisme said:
As I understand it Rodgers would rework his contract ie void years to keep the hit low.   Also I agree that SFO isn't a credible rumor, was just pushing back on others comments.
15.79 million

On the flip side, to acquire Rodgers, the cap hit that the Jets have to absorb is only $15.79 million–a very reasonable number.Mar 20, 2023

Also from GB’s position trading Rogers to the 49ers would be the dumbest move imaginable!

Look……

Love at best is an unknown.   I don’t think that he will be a top 10 QB right away even if he pans out so at a minimum that should take him at least three years to improve..

in the meantime…..

Say Rogers wins back to back SBs with the 49ers, which could actually happen if GB trades him there!  That alone means that not only did the 49ers hurt their own team, i.e are not in a position to win it all, they actually helped their biggest rivals in the entire NFL win potentially multiple SBs!

The Panthers or Texans maybe but never Dallas or the 49ers…

IMO GB can’t be this silly….

1 hour ago, ptisme said:
15.79 million

Yes until September 1st... then it changes to 60 million if they don't pick up his option. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Yes until September 1st... then it changes to 60 million if they don't pick up his option. 

I think this aspect gets overdrawn. GB has operated this off-season with them taking that full cap hit. They have like 22mill in cap space with ARs cap hit there. Only pro to moving it to that date. Is to spear that cap hit over this season and next. But for them they’d likely want to just take the big hit this year and be done with it. Not have dead cap next year as well. So if anything I think they want the whole hit this year not over 2 year to be over and done with it. And they’re more than complying with that now. And really unless they make a huge trade to bring 1-2 guys in. They’d still be able to do it money wise.

The 49ers could try and find a way to bring Rodgers in for a $16mm cap hit this year and win a Super Bowl.  But with their existing stars their roster would basically be dragged down for the next 3 years.   

similar situation to Jets, except that the 49ers are more likely to be competitive without Rodgers than the Jets would be without Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, varjet said:

The 49ers could try and find a way to bring Rodgers in for a $16mm cap hit this year and win a Super Bowl.  But with their existing stars their roster would basically be dragged down for the next 3 years.   

similar situation to Jets, except that the 49ers are more likely to be competitive without Rodgers than the Jets would be without Rodgers. 

Competitive with what?  Purdy is a mediocre game manager at best and Lance is a glorified Brad Smith they reached for at 3

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Not really thinking about sticking it to the Packers and Gutenkast.  Really it's just basic market dynamics.  It's not personal.  Gutenkast can't really overplay his hand because there is no market for Rodgers, and folks in general are overstating the desperation of the Jets and their fanbase.  There is no way he is going to:  1) pay out that bonus before September; or 2) have a circus at OTAs and training camp.  Even if he went nuclear and waited to move him until Sept 1st, I think there would be a collective shrug.  Favre came to us in August.  He'd maybe sit for a week or two, and then be full-go by the 2nd or third week.

It's in everyone's interest to get this done before the draft.  If Gutenkast remains stubborn on compensation, they'll lose draft compensation this year and the price will drop as they head to the season.  A one-year rental at $50-$60 million is ultimately not gonna deliver the draft compensation that "Gute" and the fans want.  It is what it is.  It his doing, he set up that contract. Now he's got to swallow the pill. 

Agreed except for the Favre comparison.   Rodgers needs time with his receivers, running backs and line.   He wants polish.   Favre kind of just went back to pass and slinged it.   Also the AFC is so much better now than in 2008.   Some of favres wins came against hapless opponents.    There won’t be much low hanging fruit on the tree for the jets this year and being in sync could mean a lot with regard to playoff seeding and getting those home games.   

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Competitive with what?  Purdy is a mediocre game manager at best and Lance is a glorified Brad Smith they reached for at 3

All this Rodgers stuff aside people are underrating Brock Purdy 

People were probably calling Brady a mediocre game manager in 2001

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

He does have that leverage even if the jets move on but he doesn’t have the leverage as much of where he plays like he does now.   You act as if his only career goal that he has left is the money

You Packers fans act like the Packers front office isn't burning bridges with him right now and that he'll eventually do what's right for the organization when push comes to shove.  I think you're all miscalculating the amount of petty he's going to put out if he's not traded soon.  You all think he's going to do the front office a favor by either retiring or agreeing to another trade if the Jets one doesn't get done and I don't see it that way.  Rodgers knows that guys have signed with the Jets expecting him to be there and if he has to his agent will force the Packers hands. If and when (it's only a matter of time) Rodgers agent leaks a story to someone that Rodgers will either get traded to the Jets or he plans on being on the Packers in 2023 and that he's not retiring and he's not willing to go to any other team is the minute the Packers will have to bend over and take it up the ass from JD.  Which I'm sure will include less draft compensation then you or they want and will include the Packers paying more of his bonus then they want.  Like you said, they can't afford to keep him on the roster even though your GM is still leaving the option open publicly.  The longer this drags on the worse it is for the Packers.  The leverage has never been with the Jets or the Packers, it's always been with Rodgers.  He can move this along pretty quickly if need be but I'm sure JD has told his agent to stay out of it, for now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Put mike white on that team and he is the next great QB.

In Purdys 7 games Sf had I believe 20 turnovers generated.

almost any QB would look good under those circumstances.

Having said all that there has not been on semi credible source saying the niners have any interest, that is not happening.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brady was a game manager for the first 5 years of his career.... It changed when they actually brought in Moss... Brady was known that he wasn't throwing the ball more then 20 yards down field. 

But I do agree with you Purdy is being underrated but also overrated at the same time. He is underrated by the majority of fans around the league but overrated by rest of the people that think he is the next coming. 

Purdy was good because he wasn't studied by the league and the overall team around him is so good that he only has to manage the game around him. But with more tape and his injury its more likely then not that he will struggle this year and the 49ers will be switching QBs all year due to injuries or inability to handle the game management. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

You think if the jets move on Rodgers would rather retire than play for a loaded niner team close to where he’s from on a dismal NFC?   Where he could get a chance to cream the packers in the playoffs?  You may be underestimating the competitive juices in old 12

I don't think there is any way he accepts a trade to another team after some of his friends signed to the Jets for the explicit reason that Rodgers said he would be on the Jets.  He will make life very difficult for the Packers if they try to pivot to another team or let this drag out.  That would not be good for the Packers compensation demands

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Put mike white on that team and he is the next great QB.

In Purdys 7 games Sf had I believe 20 turnovers generated.

almost any QB would look good under those circumstances.

Having said all that there has not been on semi credible source saying the niners have any interest, that is not happening.

Again you're underrating Brock Purdy 

Yes it's a good team he was also an under drafted player 

He scored off the charts on that anticipation test 

Just like how Zach was wildly over drafted at 2, Brock Purdy was a miss by the league in the other direction 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You Packers fans act like the Packers front office isn't burning bridges with him right now and that he'll eventually do what's right for the organization when push comes to shove.  I think you're all miscalculating the amount of petty he's going to put out if he's not traded soon.  You all think he's going to do the front office a favor by either retiring or agreeing to another trade if the Jets one doesn't get done and I don't see it that way.  Rodgers knows that guys have signed with the Jets expecting him to be there and if he has to his agent will force the Packers hands. If and when (it's only a matter of time) Rodgers agent leaks a story to someone that Rodgers will either get traded to the Jets or he plans on being on the Packers in 2023 and that he's not retiring and he's not willing to go to any other team is the minute the Packers will have to bend over and take it up the ass from JD.  Which I'm sure will include less draft compensation then you or they want and will include the Packers paying more of his bonus then they want.  Like you said, they can't afford to keep him on the roster even though your GM is still leaving the option open publicly.  The longer this drags on the worse it is for the Packers.  The leverage has never been with the Jets or the Packers, it's always been with Rodgers.  He can move this along pretty quickly if need be but I'm sure JD has told his agent to stay out of it, for now.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Hey something I agree with you on. Only side note to that is what his arm might look like post surgery. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Hey something I agree with you on. Only side note to that is what his arm might look like post surgery. 

Tommy John surgery takes 18 months for mlb pitchers but nfl qbs come back in 6-9

The arm strength is better after, by some quirk of medical science 

I suspect darnold might start a game or 4 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

All Rodgers has to do, if he chooses to, is tell the Packers that he’ll be showing up on the 17th for offseason workouts - as is his right.  I think that date is being underestimated as a pressure point for GB, unless people don’t think Rodgers will do it, or they believe that GB will live with the distraction and the risk of an injury that could blow up everything.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Aka…. the wait is just for drama and to keep the nfl in the media pre draft.

I’m guessing that @football guy and @Mogglez have been on it all along, that Gutenkunst and Douglas are just quibbling about minutiae and that’s where the contretemps lie. I’d imagine it’s like being at the desk with a car dealer with the contract and financing already signed and worked out, and that’s when you try to get free mud flaps and the dealer tries to get you to sign on to a bullsh*t warranty package. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

why does everyone think he is married to the Jets? cause he said he intends to come here? well he also said he was 90% retired until he changed his mind.

your telling me if GB calls Rodgers and says they have a deal in place with the 49ers ( or whoever) and you can be one tomorrow. you can buy a house, meat your teammates, get settled before OTAs in 40 days.

OR

you can wait for the Jets when we have no idea how long this will take. could be next week or could be by training camp in July. 

you think Rodgers says no, sorry i said the Jets? did he marry us and i missed the ceremony? and we better hope its not SF since he grew up in Calif and their weather and star power we can't compete with. 

the longer this takes we are leaving the door open for us to get screwed. 

and if players signed here cause they thought Rodgers was coming here then thats on them. OBJ hasnt cause he sees that this might not happen. Rodgers is not a Jet until he is a Jet.

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

why does everyone think he is married to the Jets? cause he said he intends to come here? well he also said he was 90% retired until he changed his mind.

your telling me if GB calls Rodgers and says they have a deal in place with the 49ers ( or whoever) and you can be one tomorrow. you can buy a house, meat your teammates, get settled before OTAs in 40 days.

OR

you can wait for the Jets when we have no idea how long this will take. could be next week or could be by training camp in July. 

you think Rodgers says no, sorry i said the Jets? did he marry us and i missed the ceremony? and we better hope its not SF since he grew up in Calif and their weather and star power we can't compete with. 

the longer this takes we are leaving the door open for us to get screwed. 

and if players signed here cause they thought Rodgers was coming here then thats on them. OBJ hasnt cause he sees that this might not happen. Rodgers is not a Jet until he is a Jet.

Rodgers wants to come here because he wants to be semi-retired and show up to run the offense he wants to run while Hackett and Saleh run interference for him with the rest of the team. He doesn’t want to go to San Francisco and have Shanahan tell him where to throw the ball on every 2nd and 8, and he’s not going to New England to measure dicks with Belichick and Bill O’Brien. Rodgers believes he’s a football savant and is beyond coaching. The Jets coaching staff will foster that belief and hope it results in 65%/4,200/35/5 and an AFC Championship Game or two.

• Upvote 4