Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We should be talking in here about the trade options likely on draft night. Because it seems pretty clear that that’s why it isn’t done.

I think 1st time for the trade is when we’re on the clock at 13. I think GB wants JSN. If we like 2 players still… we likely have a trade in place around a pick swap of 13 and 15. JSN and/or we have 1 guy we really like there. That trade doesn’t go through. Day 1 finishes and no trade.

Day 2 comes and everyone expects a trade during the day. Yet once again why would we trade 42 without seeing who’s there 1st. We’ve waited this long. What’s a tad longer. We come up at 42 and GB really likes a guy and it’s not a guy we want. We can trade them 42 or 43. Doesn’t matter. But it does cover us by waiting in case we like the same player. Where we still hold that card and can send them 43 and use 42 on the guy.

Otter option is we don’t do any trade Day 1 or 2. This is the bad scenario. Bc that means we likely are still waiting another month until they’re another deadline which is TC. But we likely also have a trade loss only negotiated with no 2023 picks as well. So a trade could go through rather quickly post draft.

What I think happens is JDN goes before 13 so no trade Day 1. And trade goes through when we’re on the clock at 42 or 43 on Day 2.

I think there is a good chance the Jets just take JSN themselves in that situation.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think there is a good chance the Jets just take JSN themselves in that situation.

Rodgers will possibly set records with that wr core 

Wilson

JSN 

Lazard 

Hardman

Mims. 

I honestly might draft deonte Banks or Ringo if I'm Beane. Against that type of wr core and Rodgers, against burrow and chase you actually need cbs who can at least physically matchup

The afc is ridiculous 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don’t see that. Although it would be a statement to take the player again wants and take a 1st round WR in back to back years for Tidgers when GB didn’t do that for the 15!” Years he was there. Given they did draft one of the best WRs in the nfl in round 2… so didn’t need to really spend a 1st on one. But to have another big time weapon for them for the last 10 years would’ve likely meant another SB. Bc ARs biggest knock was in crunch time only looking for Adams. Having multiple big weapons would’ve stopped that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Rodgers will possibly set records with that wr core 

Wilson

JSN 

Lazard 

Hardman

Mims. 

I honestly might draft deonte Banks or Ringo if I'm Beane. Against that type of wr core and Rodgers, against burrow and chase you actually need cbs who can at least physically matchup

The afc is ridiculous 

The issue with that is it doesn’t matter if we don’t have an OL to pass block and an OL to get the running game going to open up the pass. We saw it with KC. They had a pour OL and TB exposed it. They went an invested big time into the OL and came back and won a SB without Hill. OL matters more than WRs. Especially since it’s not like we don’t have any good WRs. GW IMO with AR at QB is a lock as a top 10 WR in the NFL at worst. And then its several really talented #2 type options

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The issue with that is it doesn’t matter if we don’t have an OL to pass block and an OL to get the running game going to open up the pass. We saw it with KC. They had a pour OL and TB exposed it. They went an invested big time into the OL and came back and won a SB without Hill. OL matters more than WRs. Especially since it’s not like we don’t have any good WRs. GW IMO with AR at QB is a lock as a top 10 WR in the NFL at worst. And then its several really talented #2 type options

They have other picks

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

JSN is one of my favorite players in the draft, but I agree with this 

Pretty much in the same boat. For me he’s a sure thing great WR. Which is hard to turn down if there. But OL is likely the better investment for us there. Now if I knew we are keeping 42 and 43 and can go C at 43 and Harrison would be there at 42 or maybe even Dawand Jones (nervous about his size after Becton). Then that’d be different.

Might also be something deeper. I know we’ve met with Tyler Steen a couple times. If we love him. Maybe we’re ok waiting for OT. I mean we do have Jones to start and maybe redshirt a rookie like we wanted to do Mitchell. And let Mitchell and the 2023 rookie battle it out for backup duties as well as a 2024 starting spot. With Jones… we do have flexibility if a guy we live falls to us at 13 that’s not an OT. Just still think we go OT

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So I'm sure this has been posted in this war and peace novel somewhere but what is Rodgers exact cap hit going to be to the jets in years 3 and 4?

It’s about $30mm a year in 2025 and 2026 (if he retires gracefully after June 1 in 2025)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

It’s about $30mm a year in 2025 and 2026 (if he retires gracefully after June 1 in 2025)

Supposedly, Rodgers had been amenable to restructuring his contract to alleviate the hurt in the event of his retirement. One would imagine Douglas will get him a bunch of cash in 2024 as an incentive to play two years. Jets are currently slated to have around $60 mil in cap space next year, and that’s before cutting CJ Mosley and Laken Tomlinson. 

• Upvote 3

Count Breer among those who think the deal is all but done and the hangup is the conditional stuff on the back end. 

“This thing has been close for a few weeks now. And like I’ve said, at this point, it comes down to the people signing the checks. As the Jets see it, there needs to be some level of protection against injury or a downturn in play creating a situation like the one the Broncos are in now—with the Seahawks holding the fifth and 37th picks as part of the Russell Wilson trade, and thanks to their catastrophic 2022 season. The Packers, meanwhile, are determined to come away with value for an all-time great.”

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

It's not about giving them 13 outright. It could be a simple 13/15 puck swap. This can happen if we get to 13 and there is someone GB absolutely loves while the jets feel confident there will be someone they still like at 15. 

Or we get to 13 and the jets say "we love this prospect, don't think he's there at 15, and we will take him and give GB additional comp later on/next year"

Or we get to 13, someone offers a bounty to trade up with us and we flip some of those picks to GB.

What @ptisme is saying is the situation will be superfluid and a LOT can happen during the 10 minutes the jets are on the clock.

Spot on with what I'm thinking.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We should be talking in here about the trade options likely on draft night. Because it seems pretty clear that that’s why it isn’t done.

I think 1st time for the trade is when we’re on the clock at 13. I think GB wants JSN. If we like 2 players still… we likely have a trade in place around a pick swap of 13 and 15. JSN and/or we have 1 guy we really like there. That trade doesn’t go through. Day 1 finishes and no trade.

Day 2 comes and everyone expects a trade during the day. Yet once again why would we trade 42 without seeing who’s there 1st. We’ve waited this long. What’s a tad longer. We come up at 42 and GB really likes a guy and it’s not a guy we want. We can trade them 42 or 43. Doesn’t matter. But it does cover us by waiting in case we like the same player. Where we still hold that card and can send them 43 and use 42 on the guy.

Otter option is we don’t do any trade Day 1 or 2. This is the bad scenario. Bc that means we likely are still waiting another month until they’re another deadline which is TC. But we likely also have a trade loss only negotiated with no 2023 picks as well. So a trade could go through rather quickly post draft.

What I think happens is JDN goes before 13 so no trade Day 1. And trade goes through when we’re on the clock at 42 or 43 on Day 2.

I'll take it one step further.   Perhaps it gets down to 42 and 43 and the Jets like both the guys there.   They execute both those picks and fall back on an option they have agreed upon with the Packers to just give them 2024 draft capitol.   Next year is supposed to be a much better draft and possibly Gute doesn't mind swallowing the pill of nothing this year, knowing he'll get better players in next years draft.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t see that. Although it would be a statement to take the player again wants and take a 1st round WR in back to back years for Tidgers when GB didn’t do that for the 15!” Years he was there. Given they did draft one of the best WRs in the nfl in round 2… so didn’t need to really spend a 1st on one. But to have another big time weapon for them for the last 10 years would’ve likely meant another SB. Bc ARs biggest knock was in crunch time only looking for Adams. Having multiple big weapons would’ve stopped that.

I want to know how many fingers of tequila Rodgers drinks when the Jets draft a cornerback and the Packers draft a receiver:)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So I'm sure this has been posted in this war and peace novel somewhere but what is Rodgers exact cap hit going to be to the jets in years 3 and 4?

This won't be known till the trade occurs.   Rodgers will sign a salary cap friendly deal with void years to give the jets a window to load up.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Supposedly, Rodgers had been amenable to restructuring his contract to alleviate the hurt in the event of his retirement. One would imagine Douglas will get him a bunch of cash in 2024 as an incentive to play two years. Jets are currently slated to have around $60 mil in cap space next year, and that’s before cutting CJ Mosley and Laken Tomlinson. 

If the jets are smart they'll make sure Rodgers has to play a second year to reap the majority of the money.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If the jets are smart they'll make sure Rodgers has to play a second year to reap the majority of the money.

Well there is the rub, it is 100% impossible to do this.  No matter what happens rodgers will take this year by year and as with the packers will be in no rush at all to help out the team he is with. 

17 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I don't doubt breer but find it hard to believe they're staring eachother down over conditional back end stuff. I'm really starting to believe both teams are waiting for the jets to be on the clock to see who's available. 

Jets aren't buying the legacy of AR, no matter how much he meant to GB. They're buying today's iteration of AR, contract and all. This talk of "value for an all time great" just continues to push me to believe these reporters are getting fed nonsense.

They’re waiting for the Jets to be on the clock at 13 or 42?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ptisme said:

I'll take it one step further.   Perhaps it gets down to 42 and 43 and the Jets like both the guys there.   They execute both those picks and fall back on an option they have agreed upon with the Packers to just give them 2024 draft capitol.   Next year is supposed to be a much better draft and possibly Gute doesn't mind swallowing the pill of nothing this year, knowing he'll get better players in next years draft.

so your giving them our #1 next year cause we should go deep in the playoffs, this years 1st or 2nd rd picks will be much better than 2024. im not sure GB will like to loss the 42-43 pick this year for a 55 or up pick next year. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They’re waiting for the Jets to be on the clock at 13 or 42?

I think the following would be a more accurate phrase. They are waiting on JD to inform them as to which pick in the agreed upon round will be theirs come day 2 of the Draft. 

I believe JD agreed to “general compensation “ terms…. not specific picks before speaking with Rodgers.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I always go back to the fan saying "obviously the Jets know something that the people up here don't" after they passed on Marino. 

I actually showed my wife that clip in an effort to make her understand what Jets fandom is. 

20+ teams passed on Marino because of the cocaine rumors.  Jets were one of them.  Stop making it sound like the Jets were the outliers on that one.