Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Just to be clear, you're talking about 2019?

4,000 yards, 26 TDs to 4 INTs.  13-3 record.  *Only* a 62% completion percentage.  

Not up to his standards, perhaps, but 'pedestrian' seems a bit strong.  The issue that everyone outside of GB recognized is that GB really did not support Rodgers in any visible way for pretty much his entire career.  Had they done almost anything more in the 2020 offseason, the Packers could easily have beaten TB and moved on to the Super Bowl. 

Was taking a flyer on a QB at that point worth sacrificing the best shot at a Super Bowl that year?  I have a hard time with that one.

2005 24 Aaron Rodgers  # QB California  
2006 5 A. J. Hawk # LB Ohio State  
2007 16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee  
2008 No Pick [gg]
2009 9 B. J. Raji # DT Boston College  
26 Clay Matthews III # LB USC [hh]
2010 23 Bryan Bulaga T Iowa  
2011 32 Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State  
2012 28 Nick Perry DE USC  
2013 26 Datone Jones DE UCLA  
2014 21 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix # S Alabama  
2015 30 Damarious Randall S Arizona State  
2016 27 Kenny Clark # NT UCLA  
2017 No Pick [tj]
2018 18 Jaire Alexander # CB Louisville  
2019 12 Rashan Gary DE Michigan  
21 Darnell Savage S Maryland  
2020 26 Jordan Love QB Utah State  
2021 29 Eric Stokes CB Georgia  
2022 22 Quay Walker ILB Georgia  
28 Devonte Wyatt DL Georgia

Two OTs, one QB, and 15 defensive players in 1st round since they drafted Rodgers.  And the defense still wasn't good.  I can see why Rodgers would be cranky.

I answered that this morning.

What bothers me about how this is covered is how very typical this is of national sports media about the Jets. When the story was about Rodgers and the Titans, everyone ran the rumor, with very little evidence. That story was designed to help the Packers. But when the story was Rodgers telling his agent it was the Jets or retirement, a development that would have helped the Jets, it hasn't gotten much of any attention. They are happy to spout rumors that hurt the Jets, but won't touch rumors that could help the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:
2 hours ago, bitonti said:
John idzik was an exec with years of experience 
Mac was an exec with years of experience 
Having the job doesn’t make someone a genius. In fact it's usually the opposite 

I'd bet my left nut that both those guys know a ton more about being an exec and running a team than you do (because you know nothing.) 

I Bet GIF by chuber channel

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Here is why I don't think any other team will be a legitimate suitor. This whole situation is largely a staredown between Rodgers and Gutekunst. There is mutual animosity there. If Rodgers agreed to go to his second choice, it would be letting Gutekunst win. That is the last thing Rodgers would want.

Clint Eastwood Smoking GIF by hoppip

I think Green Bay might really continue to play this bad. They are going to wait till the second round thinking they will find value. They going to find out man. When that 2nd don't come. They are not going to know what to do. Panic will set in. Jd will sell them the we needed those picks and Rogers has too much uncertainty. Man oh man they must be dying to get him out of the building stuff....them casually joe will tell them that Rogers will deft play well and that conditional 3rd round is basically a done deal guaranteed 1st.

Green Bay will fer a conditional 3rd rounders next year for Rogers and try to sell itas getting too value of a first round pick

Watch my fellow jet fans it's too predictable 

17 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Here is why I don't think any other team will be a legitimate suitor. This whole situation is largely a staredown between Rodgers and Gutekunst. There is mutual animosity there. If Rodgers agreed to go to his second choice, it would be letting Gutekunst win. That is the last thing Rodgers would want.

Very solid point and Rodgers said about exactly that  in his podcast. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think Green Bay might really continue to play this bad. They are going to wait till the second round thinking they will find value. They going to find out man. When that 2nd don't come. They are not going to know what to do. Panic will set in. Jd will sell them the we needed those picks and Rogers has too much uncertainty. Man oh man they must be dying to get him out of the building stuff....them casually joe will tell them that Rogers will deft play well and that conditional 3rd round is basically a done deal guaranteed 1st.

Green Bay will fer a conditional 3rd rounders next year for Rogers and try to sell itas getting too value of a first round pick

Watch my fellow jet fans it's too predictable 

nicksplat GIF

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think that is a very fair point.  He has shown himself to be very logical, patient and competent GM.  I've been a strong JD proponent.  Just this off season has me really questioning him.  

i think this is because he has switch roles. with Adams and Darnold he had the player and did not have to trade them. he could wait all he wanted. now he wants the player and had backed himself into a corner to where he must have the player.

think about the Adams trade. do you think he had to compromise? if he did i dont think we get two 1st rd picks.

he might be good at getting good value for players he has but to get one his "stick to your guns" approach might not be good.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ptisme said:

As I read this I struggled with it...   Every time I thought I knew where you were going with this you lost me with the grammar.   All I could think of was: LEXUS PLEZE TRANZLAIT.

Same here, but I have an advantage on you here. 1983 has been here a while. I know every post he makes is basically some version of… “me like Joe, he a good trader of stuff. He does lotsa good GM things, so I know this happen.”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

now he wants the player and had backed himself into a corner to where he must have the player.

Everyone keeps saying he’s backed himself into a corner. The only thing they promised this off-season was bringing in a veteran quarterback. They accomplished that.

JD also stated that Rogers was coming to New York. He can still very easily make that happen… He just needs to give up more than he wants. You never start negotiations with your very best offer… You always lowball. He’s trying to squeeze Green Bay for all it’s worth. If he hast to give up a second this year, so be it… At least he tried getting the most value while only losing The support of the Jet Nation “Karen’s”.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Let me ask you a couple of questions?

If the packers have no leverage and jets have it all why is the deal not done now?  The jets do not want this dragged out interfering with their draft plans work out plans etc.  Why?  Why have the packers not just accepted our best offer?

Second question for you what is an acceptable level of compensation for us to give to the packers?  Knowing that they have no other suitors we have all the leverage and it is us or no one?  What is a good price to pay?  A lone 3rd or 4th rounder probably?

If the del fails to go through, the negative impact is worse for Green bay than the Jets.  Jets will start some journeyman with Zach as a backup.  We've been there before with Fitzpatrick, McNowwn and others.  Green Bay on the other hand will be strapped for multiple years and have to pay Aaron Rodgers while they are trying to get Jordan Love to be the guy.  That should be fun to watch while Rodgers is on the bench there.  LOL. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

it was a 6th.  

in fact, it ended up being a 6th acquired from tampa in exchange for steve mclendon

so effectively the jets traded mclendon (and a 2023 7th) for flacco.  mclendon is now out of football

so, not exactly some catastrophic trade which proves your point that JD can't trade for assets.    

Forget it.  All facts will be flagrantly distorted or outright  ignored by your opponent in this. Why bother?  I ask myself the same thing. No answer.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Forget it.  All facts will be flagrantly distorted or outright  ignored by your opponent in this. Why bother?  I ask myself the same thing. No answer.

I don't think 6th Rd picks are worthless 

You guys love to bootlick jd but remember GMs come and go 

The fans are here forever 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If the del fails to go through, the negative impact is worse for Green bay than the Jets.  Jets will start some journeyman with Zach as a backup.  We've been there before with Fitzpatrick, McNowwn and others.  Green Bay on the other hand will be strapped for multiple years and have to pay Aaron Rodgers while they are trying to get Jordan Love to be the guy.  That should be fun to watch while Rodgers is on the bench there.  LOL. 

It would be a disaster for both teams.  And I take no solace in 'oh the packers are screwed so we can feel better about our epic fail!'

A week into the season I'm not going to be worrying about the packers I'll be worrying about zac wilson warming up on the sidelines after tim boyle is 3-13 with 2 ints.

A trade will go through, it would be pretty surprising if it does not happen before or during the draft.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't think 6th Rd picks are worthless 

You guys love to bootlick jd but remember GMs come and go 

The fans are here forever 

draft picks in any round aren't useless.  it's one of many ways to acquire players for your team - be it using them to draft players, trading them for existing players, or using them in a package to move up for a player in the draft.

the problem with your short-sighted analysis (which you even admitted is based on a lack of knowledge since you couldn't take the 2 minutes to google what pick the jets ultimately traded away to get flacco) is you isolate one thing without looking at the big picture.  for example, in this case, the draft pick traded for flacco was gained by trading away a non-core player who was approaching retirement.  the jets traded mclendon to a team making a playoff run (he served no purpose on a struggling jets team at the trade deadline) and used the draft pick acquired to trade for flacco.  in the end, more or less trash for trash.  but hardly proof that JD can't trade for assets.  he's made over a dozen on these smaller trades, both trading away and trading for players for mid-to-late round picks.  picking one deal and stating it is proof he can't acquire players (while citing the incorrect compensation) is not exactly making a strong case

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

1. I don't think 6th Rd picks are worthless 

2. You guys love to bootlick jd but remember GMs come and go 

3. The fans are here forever 

Here are the reasons why it's like entering the twilight zone when talking about anything with you Jets related:

1. There you again.  I never said 6th round picks were worthless.  I never even mentioned 6th round picks so get your posters straight dude.   Again.  If you are going to make ridiculous arguments, at least aim them at the person you are responding to.  As for 6th rounders....  they are pretty much dart throws but occasionally a team can find a solid backup or role player and once every couple of decades some team will get a stud.  And once or twice in a lifetime you get a Tom Brady in rd 6.  But, as usual, you are way over exaggerating their value in assembling a team each season.  The problem has NOTHING to do with sending a 6th rounder.  It's the bad choice he made on Flacco to begin with.  A 6th rounder for a more reliable backup would have been fine.  The real issue is JD's repeated failures in assessing the QB position.  Your harping on a 6th rounder is just trivial. 

2. Outright fabrication. I praise when I feel it's warranted and I criticize when I feel it's warranted. No boot licking.  Classic Bitonti bullsht exaggeration. Really?  

3. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You know.  Questions 1 and 2 were worthy of being answered.

But question 3 - makes you an unserious poster.  

who they hell said everything here needs to be serious?  we are fans discussing football.

but if you want to be a serious poster (i think you've played this line out at this juncture logan), you can answer questions 1&2:

1) how could they have played it better?

2) what was the better price they could have gotten them for?

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

draft picks in any round aren't useless.  it's one of many ways to acquire players for your team - be it using them to draft players, trading them for existing players, or using them in a package to move up for a player in the draft.

the problem with your short-sighted analysis (which you even admitted is based on a lack of knowledge since you couldn't take the 2 minutes to google what pick the jets ultimately traded away to get flacco) is you isolate one thing without looking at the big picture.  for example, in this case, the draft pick traded for flacco was gained by trading away a non-core player who was approaching retirement.  the jets traded mclendon to a team making a playoff run (he served no purpose on a struggling jets team at the trade deadline) and used the draft pick acquired to trade for flacco.  in the end, more or less trash for trash.  but hardly proof that JD can't trade for assets.  he's made over a dozen on these smaller trades, both trading away and trading for players for mid-to-late round picks.  picking one deal and stating it is proof he can't acquire players (while citing the incorrect compensation) is not exactly making a strong case

who the F thought acquiring Joe Flacco was such a hot idea in the first place

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Same here, but I have an advantage on you here. 1983 has been here a while. I know every post he makes is basically some version of… “me like Joe, he a good trader of stuff. He does lotsa good GM things, so I know this happen.”

I always wanted to play a barbarian in DND.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

Totally a kick in the head for GB if this thing doesnt go through. There is just no feasible way the fanbase would sign off on Rodgers returning to GB to backup Love. It would be an all time sheet show there. The GB front office would look like all time NFL buffoons.  Nor would Rodgers go back there. He'd retire and pocket the cash.  And they'd look like even bigger buffoons. Ayway you look at it, they will look like buffons. They just have to miniimize the buffonery and will trade him, probably on draft day. And why would GB let draft picks slip through their fingers and have to wait until next years' draft to get compensation from the Jets.  The Moore trade, which we recieved a #2, is definately part of the Rodgers trade.  Moore could have been salvaged but GB wanted a 2 as part of this trade.  This signifies this trade is getting done.  It's just a matter of time. JD may have to sweeten the pot but no way should he succumb to giving up a #1 this year or next.

• Upvote 3

Maybe it’s as simple as this:

JD and GB have agreed upon a set of two or more options/packages. GB will select one of them. GB has to inform JD which option it is selecting by a date certain—a date which has not  yet passed. Both sides will stick to this deal and timeframe because reneging at this point is the mutually assured destruction option.

So, there is no standoff. JD is just waiting for GB to order from the agreed-upon menu.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Everyone keeps saying he’s backed himself into a corner. The only thing they promised this off-season was bringing in a veteran quarterback. They accomplished that.

JD also stated that Rogers was coming to New York. He can still very easily make that happen… He just needs to give up more than he wants. You never start negotiations with your very best offer… You always lowball. He’s trying to squeeze Green Bay for all it’s worth. If he hast to give up a second this year, so be it… At least he tried getting the most value while only losing The support of the Jet Nation “Karen’s”.

accomplished what? we dont have a QB.

unless you think he can trade for Tannehill or Stafford which i didnt even here they are available then yes he backed himself in a corner. cause its Rodgers or Zach Wilson.

and i laugh at the thought that if any of those guys are available that JD can complete a trade for them when he cant even complete a trade for Rodgers. if he ever had to walk away from Rodgers those teams would have him by the balls.

you want to know what you do not do in negotiations? tell people that the players is coming here. 

i just found a quote from the GB president or GM from march that said that Rodgers will not be here (GB) UNLESS we dont get what we want. now thats what you say. you leave the door open to other options. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1