Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd tell you those numbers don't tell the tale about the quality of Jacksons passing ability.

I'd tell you they are a reflection of the system he runs, and the power of his running skills (and what they opened up, especially early in his career) more than a sign he's a great, or even good, passing QB.

I think in his case the context matters.

So you're saying he leans on his skillset to help himself become an effective passer?

No way!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Are the ravens a much smarter and successful organization than the jets?  

Yes.

if the ravens aren’t rushing to resign jackson that should give the jets major pause.

The same could be said about the Packers yet we want Rodgers all the same.

There are warts with any available QB.  That's why they're available.  Doesn't mean they can't be a great option for us. 

What's the alternative?  Bring in Jacoby Brissett?  Gotta take a big swing at a vet QB when your org is seemingly incapable of drafting a good one.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

QB's I (personally) would rather have than Lamar Jackson at the cost to acquire/pay him (2x #1's, $230M guaranteed over 5 years):

1. Mahomes
2. Herbert
3. Burrow
4. Allen
5. Rodgers
6. Cousins
7. Hurts
8. Carr
9. Lawrence
10. Tua (same injury issue, admittedly, but a much MUCH better passer, or he'd be higher).
11. A 2023 Draft Pick Passing-first QB
12. 2023 Pick: Richardson (if I wanted to take a real risk).

Anything beyond that and it gets dicey fast, as the quality and consistency of passing QB's after this list gets meh at best, oldsters, injury risks, and plain old mediocre guys.

With that said, if I'm GM, I save my money, pass on Jackson, and sign Baker Mayfield and Gardner Minshew.  I think this Jets team wins more games with that combo that with Jackson, and at much less risk of catastrophic injury/multi-year crippling of the cap for a lost/insta-decline player like Jackson, if he pulls an RGIII (which I think is 100% a real possibility every single time he runs the ball). 

Is Mayfield "better" than Jackson?  Lol, no. 

But it's a question of cost vs. reward, Mayfield + Minshew + 2x retained #1 Picks + $200+ million saved to spend elsewhere IS, in my view, a superior way to build a team and win games rather than the roulette wheel of a player like Jackson.

This list is wild to me, but let me just focus on one guy to illustrate my main point (that the narrative of Lamar being a substandard passer is entirely inaccurate):

Tua is a "MUCH better passer" than Lamar? Can you elaborate on this?

FYI, Lamar has a higher career traditional passer rating (96.7 vs. 95.0), a higher career TD/INT ratio (2.65 vs. 2.26), and the same career yards/attempt (7.4). And this is forgetting about the fact that Lamar has never had anything close to Waddle and Hill at WR for an entire year. Please tell me how Tua is a "MUCH better passer" than Lamar Jackson. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

he's not available for the taking

he's available at an enormous cost in terms of guaranteed contract/cap space and two 1st round picks

I love his game (when he is playing) but any team that pays him 250 mil guaranteed would be making a huge mistake because of the risk of injury. He also seemed to quit on the Ravens last year. Do you really want to guarantee that  kind of money for this guy?  I don’t think so. 

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Bingo.

Also, I have an issue with the term “run first QB” that folks love to throw out there. It’s silly. Lamar Jackson had 112 rushing attempts last year but had 336 pass attempts. So, he’s not run first (not by a long shot), he’s run heavy. I consider that an important distinction. 

Now, he still runs a lot for a QB and you would like to see him curb those rushing attempts as he ages, but that is supposedly what HE wants to do, anyway. 

Meanwhile, this “run first QB” we are nitpicking was 9th in the league in QBR last year - ahead of Burrow, Herbert, Brady, Rodgers, and TLaw, among others.

The biggest issue with Jackson for me is durability, but the numbers suggest he’s actually a very good passer. 

I'm not anti-Lamar necessarily but I think one of the important distinctions that need to be made here is that the thing that makes him special is his athleticism. Obviously he passes more than he throws -- no QB is really "run first" in the NFL in the sense that nobody is running the option.

So let's put it this way -- if the NFL passed a rule (hypothetically, of course I know this is a silly example) that the QB could not advance the ball past the line of scrimmage... Would you still want Lamar as your QB?

I wouldn't. I don't think he's truly a "great passer" as much as that his dynamic athleticism dictates how defenses want to play the Ravens which opens things up for him. If he suddenly can't run for you it completely changes what he is as a player.

Now, of course, he can run and it's a huge asset to your offense. My point is really that because athleticism declines at a much more precipitous rate than most other QB skills and Lamar is a slight, slender guy who has now been unable (or perhaps unwilling) to finish two consecutive seasons -- there's a lot of risk here for a massive fully guaranteed deal.

His game is going to age like milk, IMO. He's not going to be a Brady or Rodgers type playing until he's 40. If I was a cynic I'd say that his 2019 MVP season was his peak as as player and it's unlikely he ever reaches that level again. He certainly hasn't been close the last two seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Buying a Sauce jersey means that Sauce's career is about to come to a swift end.  As is Jets tradition.  

GFY. I bought a Johnny Abe jersey and a Vilma jersey when they were still on the Jets and that turned out just…. Ahhhhh, Fvck it. A Zach jersey it is. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not anti-Lamar necessarily but I think one of the important distinctions that need to be made here is that the thing that makes him special is his athleticism. Obviously he passes more than he throws -- no QB is really "run first" in the NFL in the sense that nobody is running the option.

So let's put it this way -- if the NFL passed a rule (hypothetically, of course I know this is a silly example) that the QB could not advance the ball past the line of scrimmage... Would you still want Lamar as your QB?

I wouldn't. I don't think he's truly a "great passer" as much as that his dynamic athleticism dictates how defenses want to play the Ravens which opens things up for him. If he suddenly can't run for you it completely changes what he is as a player.

Now, of course, he can run and it's a huge asset to your offense. My point is really that because athleticism declines at a much more precipitous rate than most other QB skills and Lamar is a slight, slender guy who has now been unable (or perhaps unwilling) to finish two consecutive seasons -- there's a lot of risk here for a massive fully guaranteed deal.

His game is going to age like milk, IMO. He's not going to be a Brady or Rodgers type playing until he's 40.

Yes, the concern with LJ is that if he’s injured enough so that he stays in the pocket more, does his passing stats go down?

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

GFY. I bought a Johnny Abe jersey and a Vilma jersey when they were still on the Jets and that turned out just…. Ahhhhh, Fvck it. A Zach jersey it is. 

The last jersey I've owned that didn't end up a curse was Wayne Chrebet.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

His game is going to age like milk, IMO. He's not going to be a Brady or Rodgers type playing until he's 40.

As several of my previous posts have illustrated, I think he's hella underrated as a passer and doesn't get the credit he deserves for being as efficient as he is. I'd call him a "very good passer" (not a great one), and under your hypothetical scenario, I would definitely still be interested in him being my QB, especially considering the crap we have been watching for years as Jets fans.  However, I also wouldn't give up two firsts and give him the contract he wants. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes, the concern with LJ is that if he’s injured enough so that he stays in the pocket more, does his passing stats go down?

When defenses no longer have to respect his running I'm pretty confident he will become useless.

It's why he's never returned fast from his leg injuries. He knows he would get exposed. 

We saw what happened with cam Newton and I think we'll see a drop in production from Josh Allen when he loses his mobility.