Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

So..from what I understand, the holdup isn't Rodgers as much as it is the Jets and packers coming to an agreement over compensation? 

I would have thought that the Packers and Jets already had some kind of understanding about compensation prior to the Packers granting permission for the Jets to speak to Rodgers.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Well we still have to get past Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen.

IF this happens, we’d need Rodgers to be a lot better than he was last year to win it all.

The Bills seem to be imploding a bit. Cap strapped, Players leaving in free agency, disgruntled Diggs, Fans unhappy with coaching staff. Sounds like a lot of pressure on a turnover prone allen who’s already getting a choker label around the league. 

• Upvote 2

Initially I heard Rodgers would cost $110 mil against the cap so I was dead set against.  Recently I'm hearing his guaranteed $ is only $60 mil.  If so I'm on board.  Can someone who knows what they are talking about please confirm this.

(sorry but I'm not looking back thru 56 pages of this thread for this info :) )  

• Upvote 1

At this point I have to believe it's the Packers fighting for a favorable deal. It doesn't make sense that Rodgers would be going this far through the whole song and dance of top brass meetings with the Jets if he was contemplating retirement or return to GB. I would think he would have held off any Jets meetings if that was the case or simply said he was hanging up the spurs. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • The Jets have to move onto other options when FA starts, for strategic and practical reasons. 
  • I think practically the Jets will have to solidify their offense for Rodgers, and let the defense wing it.  So guys like Lawson would be cut so the Jets could sign a FA Veteran C, like McGovern or Lindsey. We either draft another T or get Bakhtiari.  I vote for the draft.  

I think Lawson would be restructured, rather than cut, but either is possible.  As for OL, we absolutely need an FA Center, and I agree draft is the way to go for a T -- Bakhtiari would be just another question mark to add to the other three Ts on the roster who all are questions heading into the season.

I also think a huge factor in adding Rodgers is how much better the supporting cast on offense will look with a good QB under Center.  OL could look a lot better with a QB who knows how to read a defense, set protections, audible at the line, knows where his hot read will be and can challenge all levels of the defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Initially I heard Rodgers would cost $110 mil against the cap so I was dead set against.  Recently I'm hearing his guaranteed $ is only $60 mil.  If so I'm on board.  Can someone who knows what they are talking about please confirm this.

I believe his cap hit this year would be about $16M, followed by $32, $45 and $40 the next three seasons.  His base this year is $1.1, plus the Jets would owe him a $58M bonus which would be spread across 4 years -- so just under $15 would hit this year.  We would owe him another bonus next year which causes the cap hits to increase over the last 3 years (2 of which I believe are void years).

Although you can throw all of this out the window if part of the deal involves either Packers paying part of the bonus or AR restructuring.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I believe his cap hit this year would be about $16M, followed by $32, $45 and $40 the next three seasons.  His base this year is $1.1, plus the Jets would owe him a $58M bonus which would be spread across 4 years -- so just under $15 would hit this year.  We would owe him another bonus next year which causes the cap hits to increase over the last 3 years (2 of which I believe are void years).

Although you can throw all of this out the window if part of the deal involves either Packers paying part of the bonus or AR restructuring.

lol so sorry but how much of this is guaranteed?  (I got a headache rereading)

17 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The $60M is the dead cap hit if Rodgers retires after year 2, assuming this isn’t a one year rental.

That’s a big hit at a time the Jets would be extending some of their young studs.

The hit could instead be spread over 2 years but again, that’s a lot of dead cap space no matter how you slice it up.

So the Jets and GB seem to be negotiating better trade comp in exchange for GB assuming some of that $60M.

Still don’t believe it rises to a number 1 pick this year but our 2023 2nd rounder and a conditional pick next year that might rise to #1 seem reasonable.

GB picks up $20M, maybe Rodgers restructures down another $10M and the Jets could live with $15M dead cap hits each in 2025 and 2026.  The math isn’t exactly that simple (the pro-rated structure would spread any concessions starting now rather than only in 2025 and 2026)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

All the foolish and gullible Jet fans jumping the gun as usual and will then act so surprised when they get kicked in the nuts

You are the last, amazing, super awesome, level headed, realistic jets fan.

Thank you for gracing us with your presence on this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, freestater said:

So..from what I understand, the holdup isn't Rodgers as much as it is the Jets and packers coming to an agreement over compensation? 

Feels like he’s ready to get on board post-cali meeting. Packers just seem to be asking for a little more than they’re willing to pay in terms of eating some of that 59 mill. Joe Douglas doesn’t lose trades. Trust he’s going to talk them back down to whatever realm he needs to in order to get the right price for 12.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Because Lamar Jackson’s contract demands are excessive. Especially for a QB who was injured the last two seasons with a perception that he quit on his team.

This.

So it’s one team and Rodgers.  And one conference given GB has made it clear they’re not trading him to the NFC.  Tenn has a QB and the Raisers are, the Raiders

3 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If GB is holding out for more then I would love ARod to just tweet out a pic of a green tie or fighter Jet with no comment.  Stick it to GB and apply the pressure to give in to the Jedi Master JD.

All he has to do is say ok I’m showing up and playing this year. It’d kill their cap and pretty much everything their trying to do. GB has no leverage 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

In that case, he probably keeps reshuffling the OL deck of stars the Jets have , asking himself if he thinks he can survive.two years behind that steam-pile.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 years behind AVT, Herbig, Brown, and  possibly a healthy Becton doesnt sound too bad

• Upvote 1