Hurts signs 5 year 255 mil

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No more are the days you get a good qb on a rookie contract.  It was that 4th year that really mattered.  Now if they are good, you pay them after 3.

So GMs gotten smarter by keeping good QBs on a rookie contract? 

Fk'ing genuises!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think most would argue that what Lamar did in 2019 is not nearly as relevant to his current value as what Hurts did last year to his.  Hurts was very much in the mix for MVP but Mahomes is Mahomes. 

Signing after only helps if you're as good or better.  That's an uphill battle for Lamar to prove right now.

I'd say Jalen just set the ceiling on Lamar's contract value, not the floor.

Even if so, Lamar won't have to pay an agent his cut so it'll be a more lucrative contract.

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

lamar turned down a contract very similar to what hurts just received last year.  after turning this down, he again ended his season in the IR.

i see no way that lamar gets more than hurts, who is younger and better (at least based on the last 2 years and not jackson living in his 2019 glory days). 

while this is a lot of coin for hurts, lamar has lost his leverage for a watsonian fully guaranteed contract when the younger, better version of himself didn't get that.

Navy option Lamar reported that. I don't believe it... 

If they thought that much of him they wouldn't have put the lower tag on him. 

The Baltimore front office is extremely skeptical about navy option Lamar's ability to actually play quarterback, as they should be... 

The reality is there's a reason nobody wants him. 

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Again, I’d wait to see how it ends up. That’s just me though… ?‍♂️

The Jets aren’t exactly having smooth sailing with their QB saga this offseason either.

Not sure what this has to do with the jets finding a QB, but either way, Lamar has been negotiating with the Ravens for like two years. 

he should have gotten his big contract months ago and probably before last season even started - instead, he’s negotiating coming off back to back injury-plagued seasons in which he basically didn’t play in December or January. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Plus this deal will look cheap 3 years from now.

Exactly...teams need to start making these decisions after year 3 or 4 you should know by then if you want to lock a big time player up....it's also a sell high situation if you want to move on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

Exactly...teams need to start making these decisions after year 3 or 4 you should know by then if you want to lock a big time player up....it's also a sell high situation if you want to move on.

Like when we duped Carolina into giving us a 2nd and a 4th for Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

ARI got almost as much from MIA for Josh Rosen.  Talk about a heist.

True, but at least that was after one bad year. Sam had three disappointing years here and regressed between years 2 and 3.

I never understood that trade 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

True, but at least that was after one bad year. Sam had three disappointing years here and regressed between years 2 and 3.

I never understood that trade 

Our own ineptitude as an org pumped up Darnold's trade value.  Rhule and Joe Brady thought they could "fix" him.

The trade itself, however, made much more sense than the decision for Carolina to hand Darnold the 5th-year option.  Even if you're "all in" on Darnold, why not just wait to extend him after the season instead?  Baffling decision that got people fired.

@jgb

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Let’s see how he does once the league studies his offense this offseason. He might drop off, just like Lamar did. Not a great passer. Gadget offense. 

If the Eagles can improve their 4th down 'push' play to average 2.6 yards per attempt, they will never need to pass again. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Eagles got 2 years of Hurts as starter before having to pay him big boy FQB money.

Those who think the "only right way" to build a team is to hit on a QB in the draft and win a ring during his cheap years should think about that.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Eagles got 2 years of Hurts as starter before having to pay him big boy FQB money.

Those who think the "only right way" to build a team is to hit on a QB in the draft and win a ring during his cheap years should think about that.

it's a little misleading, because hurts was drafted in the 2nd round and wasn't ready to start day/year 1.

as a 2nd round pick, the team did not have a 5th year option they could exercise.  which means he was to hit free agency (or be tagged) after this season (his 4th).  they chose to be proactive and sign him now rather than wait till after the year when the market will explode even further.

but yeah, i kind of would take having my QB draft pick take my team to the super bowl and be in position to be perennial contenders for the foreseeable future.  seems a better route to go than whatever it is the jets have been doing

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure if someone has already said this…. But Hurts’ agent is the same agent as Q. 

Does this mean he's a hardass, or that he’s been busy? Or both? If I were an agent, I imagine Hurts’ deal would’ve been on my front burner. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even if so, Lamar won't have to pay an agent his cut so it'll be a more lucrative contract.

lol, the agents fee would be at most 2%.

and my guess is he's going to be paying at least .5% in lawyer/consulting fees.  not sure how much he's saving.  

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

yes but on other other hand 3 percent of 33 Mil (the franchise tag) is about a Mil

these pennies are millions 

i would be shocked if Lamar's total $$ from last year to 2026 ( so 5 years in total) will be as good as he could have gotten if he had an agent and signed the contract that was offered to him a year ago.  which is remarkable given the rise in QB salaries every year.

• Upvote 1