Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

I think there's pushback on tackle - from me specifically - because so many seem to have it locked in. And because everyone seems to think a tackle automatically helps this year. Which, they might. But this is a raw tackle class and they already have two guys who have played well at the professional level, a guard who's been adequate when kicked out to tackle, and a second year player who they presumably like.

I get it. Depth is a question because the starters are injury prone, it's absolutely something that they need long-term, and I'd love it if the 2024 starting LT was already on the roster. But I don't think it's reasonable to assume that a tackle drafted at 13 helps the team this year at all this year and certainly not reasonable to assume that he's starting.

I also think if depth was that big of a problem - which I agree it's a big question - then maybe they should've addressed that in free agency. The idea of boxing yourself into a tackle who may or may not help this year at 13 because you're terrified of the guys you have penciled in at starters is silly to me. 

Johnson, I get. Jones has huge upside but needs a lot of technique work. So that one depends to me on what they think of him as a person, which I can't answer. Offensive line is hard - need to be mentally tough and put in a lot of time to get technique down. If they think Johnson or Jones will respond well to soaking up stuff from Duane Brown for a year and grind really hard - sweet. If there's any question, that's an awfully big swing to take with the 13th pick.

How is taking a WR not a big swing. It baffles me. How is JSN not taking a risk. He's not the cleanest of prospects by any means.

And I think way too many fans are overemphasizing the need to draft someone who will have to make a major impact immediately.

The Jets have absolutely no long term solution at OT. None. Its a guy who is guaranteed to retire in the next couple of years coming off injury (Brown) and a guy everyone seems to have written off already as a massive risk because he can't stay in shape and cant stay healthy (Becton). Mitchell is backup. Until he can prove otherwise, thats what he is. Not to mention he too missed time due to blood clots. 

There's a reason everyone has the Jets taking an OT. They need a top tier OT talent. Whether its to take over at one of the starting spots this year. Serve as a crucial backup this year. Or start next year.   

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

A lot of people on twitter pretend they speak with front offices regularly.  Here's one guy who actually does.

My opinion has been that J. Addison is probably the only WR with a first round grade. Which imo, makes your proposition even nuttier. 

Yes, no doubt about it, we're gonna be looking to get a QB in 2024/2025 -- but even than whomever we draft this year will be near the end of their rookie contract by the time that new QB hits his sophomore stride. I like where your hearts at, but your reaching on the justification. 

Just say I love JSN. It's ok, but trying to dress this up as the smartest move is not holding water.  His route-running prowess is overblown imo.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

And

Report: Rival Coaches Say Jaxon Smith-Njigba Better Than Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Smith-Njigba still has as much upside as any of them.

"He's kind of unguardable," Hartline told Feldman. "He'll be uber-productive in the NFL. I think he will be a guy that leads the league in receptions and receiving yards. No one's gonna be shocked. That's just who he is, and he's only gotten better, Like C.J. (Stroud) said, he's the quarterback's best friend."

lol who's writing this stuff. Better than Garrett Wilson hey. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

2021 film ....1600 yards and like 90 receptions.  Lots of film to watch with those numbers.

Vastly more production than olave and garret wilson in their draft year. 

Don't tell me you are also going to follow the argument that he put up those numbers only because the other teams were quadruple teaming both wilson and olave>?

The guy looked smooth as butter at the combine and put up elite short shuttle and 3 cone numbers.

by that measure, we should have drafted Justyn Ross last year in the first. 

It's not a black/white, worst best thing. He's a good WR prospect, short area quickness, and knows how to navigate/manipulate DBs. But he did nothing last year, and has some games that padded his overall statistical success. He didn't "wreck" college football. The case to take him over an OT or even Torrence is... not strong.

I'm gonna leave it that, because this is obviously a JSN party and i'm debbie downer. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, PepPep said:

How is taking a WR not a big swing. It baffles me. How is JSN not taking a risk. He's not the cleanest of prospects by any means.

And I think way too many fans are overemphasizing the need to draft someone who will have to make a major impact immediately.

The Jets have absolutely no long term solution at OT. None. Its a guy who is guaranteed to retire in the next couple of years coming off injury (Brown) and a guy everyone seems to have written off already as a massive risk because he can't stay in shape and cant stay healthy (Becton). Mitchell is backup. Until he can prove otherwise, thats what he is. Not to mention he too missed time due to blood clots. 

There's a reason everyone has the Jets taking an OT. They need a top tier OT talent. Whether its to take over at one of the starting spots this year. Serve as a crucial backup this year. Or start next year.   

Have you seen the recent track record of first round receivers? It’s probably better than any other position. Moreover, the top guys in the league right now win with route running, quickness, separation, and hands - all of which are JSN’s strengths. Ohio State does a tremendous job coaching receivers. He’s extremely polished.

Meanwhile, the best two left tackle prospects in this class both need technique work at a position that requires consistency and technique as much as any other. You’re relying on them to work and improve. So yeah, I think the tackles are a big swing.

I’ve addressed the rest of it elsewhere. I know and have repeatedly acknowledged that it’s a long term need and depth this year is a question. Nobody has really adequately addressed why those two things need to be addressed at 13.

To put it differently, it’d be great to feel better about tackle. Long-term talent and short term depth are questions because Douglas took a big swing on a player at this area of the draft three years ago who hasn’t worked out nearly as hoped. So I think it’s important to thoroughly consider the player they’re drafting and how he projects rather than just deciding it needs to be a tackle because it needs to be a tackle.

And I also genuinely believe it’s reasonable and probably logical to be skeptical about the process for addressing a position group that Douglas continues to sink money and high draft picks into with basically just AVT to show for it.

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's not a black/white, worst best thing. He's a good WR prospect, short area quickness, and knows how to navigate/manipulate DBs. But he did nothing last year, and has some games that padded his overall statistical success. He didn't "wreck" college football. The case to take him over an OT or even Torrence is... not strong.

I'm gonna leave it that, because this is obviously a JSN party and i'm debbie downer. 

I think you are right - For the Jets, I think it makes more sense to take an OT. 

I can't say that I would necessarily blame them for taking JSN though if they are super high on him. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Why is he a better target then Jordan Addison?

He's not.... but, there's some sense to the notion that Addison is redundant with Wilson (Very similar strengths/style), where as JSN is more of an inside WR. 

Every one of these questions is answered with :Depends on".  Is there a run on tackles?  Is there more depth later in the draft at a particular position.   Is JSN that much better than the 2nd round WR options?  Is the OT available at 13 that much better than the 2nd round options?  Etc.

We have  many needs.  On the defensive side, we lost a DT but replaced him.  We lost a LB and may change out defense to use Clark as the LB type who is a strong run support and superior at covering the tight end or slot to any LB.  We lost a free safety who was usually hurt and bottom half when healthy.  Though all three spots could use an upgrade, we were the 3rd best defense in the league from week 4 on, despite these weaknesses.

A big tackle would help the running game and give Rodgers that extra second to burn defenses.  Another explosive WR  would create an exciting tandem for 12-15 years.  Look what that did for Kansas City, Cincinnati or Miami.   Cincinnati ignored OL to get that extra wea[on and went to a Super Bowl with a second year QB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Because there is nothing AR loves more than rookie WRs.

Why do people keep saying this?  His favorite target last year was a rookie wr.  Watson had more catches and tds then Lazard.  Such a stupid take.  If you can play, you can play.  Doesnt matter if your a rookie or a 10 year vet.

• Upvote 1

How many OTs do we have for 2 spots?
5?   vs.

How many WRs do we have if we trade Corey Davis?   
4 ?

From a purely depth perspective, it would be irresponsible to not draft the class best WR at #13 if he’s available.

At least we have back up plans if (when) our OTs get hurt again.

What is our plan if a WR goes down? Hardman (missed 9 games last year), Lazard (missed 2 games),  Davis if-not-traded (missed 4 games), Mims (missed 10 games) or, God-forbid Wilson gets hurt. We need another stud to build an injury resilient stable.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol who's writing this stuff. Better than Garrett Wilson hey. 

Who's quoting the coach who worked with Wilson, Olave and Njigba?  Why does that matter?  It's somebody directly quoting the guy who worked closely with all 3.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

My opinion has been that J. Addison is probably the only WR with a first round grade. Which imo, makes your proposition even nuttier. 

Yes, no doubt about it, we're gonna be looking to get a QB in 2024/2025 -- but even than whomever we draft this year will be near the end of their rookie contract by the time that new QB hits his sophomore stride. I like where your hearts at, but your reaching on the justification. 

Just say I love JSN. It's ok, but trying to dress this up as the smartest move is not holding water.  His route-running prowess is overblown imo.

So because my opinion differs from yours it's nutty?

And this isn't my quote.  It's from Jim Nagy, who runs the senior bowl and talks to tams about college prospects.  He says he's being told JSN is the only round 1 guy in the group.  I disagree with that because I think a ton about Addison.  Even had him as my top guy until I took a closer look at Njigba.  

This season is about building for a one-year shot with Rodgers.  You play to his strengths by drafting JSN and give yourself the best chance to win.  Use a 2nd rounder on an OT.  Dropoff from the JSN to the WR you get later in the draft is far bigger than the gap between the OT's you get at 13 and 43 IMO.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Skoronski is my guy because of his positional flexability.  I believe he would be a good player at any of the three positions, C, G or T.  A "Joe Klecko" of the O-line, if you will.

On a team with as flimsy an O-line as we have had in recent years, that kind of flexability, like AVT pre-injury, is worth it's weight in gold.

I think I said it elsewhere, yes, I think it's quite possible there are better pure OT options also available at #13, and I won't cry if that's who we choose.  But I really like Skor and I think he's gonna be a very solid, long-term Pro player.  

And while I'm not personally advocating for JSN at WR at #13, it would still be better than Defense at that spot.  With Rodgers, we need to provide two things, safety via O-line play, and weapons.  I prefer to protect early and weapons late this draft class, but we'll see.

My REAL unpopular opinion is that we might be best served with another RB in the 2nd, a HR hitter type, because with Hall mending, and Carter/Knight not good enough (IMO) that too would serve Rodgers well.  

But in reality, I got Skor int he firt, Center and DT or LB in the 2nd, WR or LB or DT in the fourth, and I try and snag the one FB available this draft with our late pick or in UDFA if we're lucky.

if Skoronski is so good why did his team go 1-11

you would think a "Joe Klecko" could at least get that to 2-10

• More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Why is he a better target then Jordan Addison?

His lateral movement/agility.  And don't get me wrong.  I went back and forth on this for a few weeks with somebody else who was in the JSN camp and I kept saying Addison was my WR1 and JSN my WR2.  Went back and watched more JSN and his play matches up with what the combine numbers tell us.  He has elite movement skills that are going to allow him to get wide open right off the LOS and make plays after the catch.  When Rodgers is at his best, he's dropping back and getting the ball out in 1.5-2 seconds.  Wilson and JSN will allow for that.  Getting the ball out that quickly would also mean you can put up a ton of points without having to add another OT at 13.

Given Joe D's history I think he goes OL which is fine.  I'm not saying it would be dumb or a bad decision.  I just think JSN and Freeland/Bergeron would be ideal.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

So because my opinion differs from yours it's nutty?

And this isn't my quote.  It's from Jim Nagy, who runs the senior bowl and talks to tams about college prospects.  He says he's being told JSN is the only round 1 guy in the group.  I disagree with that because I think a ton about Addison.  Even had him as my top guy until I took a closer look at Njigba.  

This season is about building for a one-year shot with Rodgers.  You play to his strengths by drafting JSN and give yourself the best chance to win.  Use a 2nd rounder on an OT.  Dropoff from the JSN to the WR you get later in the draft is far bigger than the gap between the OT's you get at 13 and 43 IMO.

i've been careful to say "imo" a handful of times; this is the Paradis-lens. I def know there's pundits that have JSN as the top guy... but some of those guys thought Reagor was a 1st round talent to. Or Kevin White was a top 10 WR...JSN is 10x the prospect Reagor was, point is they're not objective. 

My version of Facts:

• 1 productive year of College Football, bookended by 2 non-existent seasons. Mostly productive out of the slot.
  • Productive inside WRs are easier to find b/c you don't have to be Davante Adams good to be productive.
  • Terrific footwork & short area quickness - which is why he is so successful inside.
  • Route running is average, hands are above average and tracks the ball well. 
  • Is excellent at using his body - puts himself between the ball and the defender. Understands space.
  • Doesn't jump or highpoint the ball. Negligible production outside, doesn't separate as well on boundary plays
  • high reliability, moderate flexibility. 
  • Outside of the fabled 2021, injuries were an issue in 2020 & 2022.

Best NFL selling point: Will be a potent "get off the line" RZ weapon. Biggest limitation; a bit 1-dimensional for 2-WR sets. Down and distance may take him off the field at times. 

Love him in the 2nd round as a WR2

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Come up with someone with massive production on a team with two top end NFL wr and I'm all ears.  Ross is not a fair comparison.

We'll take an olineman so no worries but to me you are selling the player short.

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i've been careful to say "imo" a handful of times; this is the Paradis-lens. I def know there's pundits that have JSN as the top guy... but some of those guys thought Reagor was a 1st round talent to. Or Kevin White was a top 10 WR...JSN is 10x the prospect Reagor was, point is they're not objective. 

My version of Facts:

• 1 productive year of College Football, bookended by 2 non-existent seasons. Mostly productive out of the slot.
  • Productive inside WRs are easier to find b/c you don't have to be Davante Adams good to be productive.
  • Terrific footwork & short area quickness - which is why he is so successful inside.
  • Route running is average, hands are above average and tracks the ball well. 
  • Is excellent at using his body - puts himself between the ball and the defender. Understands space.
  • Doesn't jump or highpoint the ball. Negligible production outside, doesn't separate as well on boundary plays
  • high reliability, moderate flexibility. 
  • Outside of the fabled 2021, injuries were an issue in 2020 & 2022.

Best NFL selling point: Will be a potent "get off the line" RZ weapon. Biggest limitation; a bit 1-dimensional for 2-WR sets. Down and distance may take him off the field at times. 

Love him in the 2nd round as a WR2

Yes, people were wrong about Reagor and White the same way people are wrong about players every single year.  Hall of fame GM's have entire draft classes that don't yield a single NFL player. And yes, this is only us giving our opinions.  And as I said, I love Addison.  Was my top guy until looking at what JSN brings and the fact  I believe Rodgers is going to be a one-year rental.  That means you need a guy who is going to start and play to his strengths right away.  I think JSN does that better than anyone else in the class.

Couldn't disagree more about his route running:

CJ Stroud said he's the best route runner he has ever played with.

Former Pro Bowl WR Greg Jennings said he's the best route runner in this class

PFF says he's the best route runner in this class.

The Draft Network calls him an exceptional route runner.

The closest thing I can find to a "criticism" of his route running from is Lance Zuerlein saying his route running can use some "fine tuning".

And I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion, but I would definitely disagree and just about everything I can find on the guy says that what I'm seeing has some validity.

Limited time is somewhat of a concert of Njigba, but there are people projecting a TE as a round 1 pick who played in 2 games last year in Luke Musgrave.  

But in the end...just draft good players.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Exactly. WR isn’t a need. OL are. Big time

Jets obviously disagree or there's no need to reach out to OBJ.  Don't know what they'll end up doing on draft day but just happy they can see where the holes are on the roster.  And they're acutely aware of the fact that they can only count on Rodgers for one season and have to build a roster that can win as quickly as possible.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think u just need to go to 11 to get him.  We should be able to easily move up 2 spots.

Don’t see it. He’s a consensus #1 WR. With the recent success of first round WRs, I don’t see him lasting beyond 6 or 7.

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

Would need to trade up bigly, he’s long gone by 13

The more I defended the idea of taking him, the more I realized it was dumb to suggest.  Won't be there at 13.

FML.

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don’t see it. He’s a consensus #1 WR. With the recent success of first round WRs, I don’t see him lasting beyond 6 or 7.

Listening to a pod right now with former LBer and Vikings GM Rick Spielman.  Add him to the list of those who say JSN is WR1.  

Emory Hunt mocked him in the top 8.

Won't be an option for the Jets.

• Sympathy 1